Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

redcup342 wrote: »
    Simple answer, Sat Nav ... I don't about you but using iDrive to work the Sat Nav in an BMW is a frustrating experience, so much so that you end up using your phone because it's a pain in the H to search for anything.

You can use connected drive tho to send stuff to the car I guess .. but then what the point as you always need a phone to use the navigation.

Yes I'll grant you that, using iDrive for sat nav is a pain but this isn't because of the iDrive system it's because of the sat nav software, if it had Google maps you could just use the voice prompt and it would find the location much easier, using the phone though is a great alternative, I can just copy the cordonates from google Maps and paste them into the BMW app and send it to the car.

The same can be said for most sat nav software in cars, it's frustrating to use, however fore everything else iDrive is vastly superior than touchscreen but touchscreen is the latest cool thing in cars so it't got to be touchscreen that and car manufacturers are too lazy to come up with an alternative.

I will say this though, once you have your destination sent to the i3 sat nav using the iDrive to zoom in out check traffic etc etc is really convenient compared to having to reach over and mess with a finicky touch screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,028 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yes I'll grant you that, using iDrive for sat nav is a pain but this isn't because of the iDrive system it's because of the sat nav software, if it had Google maps you could just use the voice prompt and it would find the location much easier, using the phone though is a great alternative, I can just copy the cordonates from google Maps and paste them into the BMW app and send it to the car.

The same can be said for most sat nav software in cars, it's frustrating to use, however fore everything else iDrive is vastly superior than touchscreen but touchscreen is the latest cool thing in cars so it't got to be touchscreen that and car manufacturers are too lazy to come up with an alternative.

I will say this though, once you have your destination sent to the i3 sat nav using the iDrive to zoom in out check traffic etc etc is really convenient compared to having to reach over and mess with a finicky touch screen.

virtual cockpit ftw

Cyrus wrote: »
    virtual cockpit ftw

In English ?

In English ?

virtual cockpit

FOR THE WIN

you dont need a bmw knob to zoom in and out you can just use buttons on the steering wheel and as the nav in right in front of you its safer.

virtual cockpit

FOR THE WIN

you dont need a bmw knob to zoom in and out you can just use buttons on the steering wheel and as the nav in right in front of you its safer.

Could very well be better on the steering but it works much better than a touch screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

I drive a BMW with iDrive and while it's a nice system, there are pretty much zero occasions that I touch it while driving. Anything I need is already controlled on the steering wheel, and if I want to do something complicated like putting directions into the satnav it's basically impossible while driving anyway so you'd be much better off with a touch screen for that as you'd be able to use it 100 times quicker.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Could very well be better on the steering but it works much better than a touch screen.

Ioniq has a zoomy in knob too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/id-3

Common theme coming through on all these reviews.... excellent build, drive quality and good sound insulation (which is important). Interior plastics, not so great.

Given a choice I'd take the drive quality (and other specs) over the plastics issue. Cant have it all I suppose.

KCross wrote: »
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/id-3

Common theme coming through on all these reviews.... excellent build, drive quality and good sound insulation (which is important). Interior plastics, not so great.

Given a choice I'd take the drive quality (and other specs) over the plastics issue. Cant have it all I suppose.

It's not really good enough given the cost.

Having said that I will reserve final judgement for when I drive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

It's not really good enough given the cost.

Having said that I will reserve final judgement for when I drive one.

What cost?

I sat in a 40k Hyundai Kona when it first came out and it was the most horrendous, drab interior I’ve ever seen in my life.

Typical Irish attitude I think, much wants more.

34k for a well spec 420km range car doesn’t warranty a “the cost” statement.

• Advertisement

L-M wrote: »
    What cost?

I sat in a 40k Hyundai Kona when it first came out and it was the most horrendous, drab interior I’ve ever seen in my life.

Typical Irish attitude I think, much wants more.

34k for a well spec 420km range car doesn’t warranty a “the cost” statement.

The id.3 in the video on the previous page was a lot more than 40K if I remember correctly.

That’s a higher specification version of the same car. They aren’t going to change the door panels as you go up in spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've came from idrive to VW touchscreen thingy, Android auto is pretty much all I use and then it's only Waze and Spotify, id3 will have native Netflix which will be a bonus over the current set up i'm used to. I'm not seeing any concern.
    I would have liked to see pit stop 2 on the little screen in front of driver but it's early days with the software.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jonnythefox

That’s a higher specification version of the same car. They aren’t going to change the door panels as you go up in spec.

I agree all the door panels I assume will be the same whatever the trim. Although having a look through the product specs. The ID3. Plus
    Spec has:
    “ » Door and side trim panel in foam film
    with insert in leatherette”
    To make it even more confusing it’s in the exterior segment .. if this is a description of the outside why the leatherette?

I agree all the door panels I assume will be the same whatever the trim. Although having a look through the product specs. The ID3. Plus
    Spec has:
    “ » Door and side trim panel in foam film
    with insert in leatherette”
    To make it even more confusing it’s in the exterior segment .. if this is a description of the outside why the leatherette?

Are there no options for seats at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jonnythefox

Are there no options for seats at all ?

No options for the 1st
    Standard 1st : Seat trim covers in ‘Fragment’ cloth upholstery
    Plus and Max:
    » Design seat trim covers in ‘flow’ Microfleece ‘ArtVelours’ upholstery

You can get full proper grade A leather fitted to any car for less than 2k, so not the end of the world on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Looking at the Autocar review, it looks as though you can have zero regen if you wish. Happy with that, I like that feature on our Ioniq.

eagerv wrote: »
    Looking at the Autocar review, it looks as though you can have zero regen if you wish. Happy with that, I like that feature on our Ioniq.

That Zero regen is the only thing that I warn people of.

I remember the First E Golf I had, drove home into my estate which had a weird series of 90 degree bends. Drove down as normal and let off the accelerator for it to naturally slow down, but no, 100 percent no resistance free wheel! Very strange feeling when you’re not used to it. Almost went in over the curb.

That Zero regen is the only thing that I warn people of.

I remember the First E Golf I had, drove home into my estate which had a weird series of 90 degree bends. Drove down as normal and let off the accelerator for it to naturally slow down, but no, 100 percent no resistance free wheel! Very strange feeling when you’re not used to it. Almost went in over the curb.

Yes I could understand some people not liking it if used to conventional engine braking. I only use it when hypermiling..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

eagerv wrote:
    Yes I could understand some people not liking it if used to conventional engine braking. I only use it when hypermiling..
    The German fella in the video mentioned the car didn't regen at motorway speeds. Supposedly it's smart to detect and decide no regen needed at that speed (assuming it can detect you're not driving downhill).

McGiver wrote: »
    The German fella in the video mentioned the car didn't regen at motorway speeds. Supposedly it's smart to detect and decide no regen needed at that speed (assuming it can detect you're not driving downhill).

That was the Max wasn't it? I presume it has something similar to the smart regen on the Koreans?

I would imagine on the basic ones the regen can be preset to your choice and strengthened by moving the gear selector forward. I just want it simple anyway but looking forward to more info whenever...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

eagerv wrote:
    That was the Max wasn't it? I presume it has something similar to the smart regen on the Koreans?

Yeah it was not clear which of the gizmos actually reduce the regen at motorway speeds. It may be some of the assist stuff on the max

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I wonder is it possible while on PCP to change from an Egolf to an ID3 if there's one available?

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I wonder is it possible while on PCP to change from an Egolf to an ID3 if there's one available?

Which is it, id.3 or M3 ? :D

Yes of course you can change but it could cost you a lot depending on the depreciation, usually it's best to see your PCP to the end.

What's wrong with the egolf ?

of course, whether it makes sense economically or not is the issue.

Which is it, id.3 or M3 ? :D

Yes of course you can change but it could cost you a lot depending on the depreciation, usually it's best to see your PCP to the end.

What's wrong with the egolf ?

Am looking at a few options here.

Absolutely love the eGolf but the range is getting me every now and then, with more EV's on the road, chargers are getting busy again so it limits where i can use it. Work - 100% perfect but weekends / trips away, 220kms just isn't enough.

Was frustrating even driving from Athlone to Galway yesterday.

Was frustrating even driving from Athlone to Galway yesterday.

am i missing something, that should be a straightforward there and back assumung you are leaving with a full battery?

am i missing something, that should be a straightforward there and back assumung you are leaving with a full battery?

We were travelling out towards Spiddal so needed a top up either there or on the way home. My range is 220kms and we done 260kms in all when we got home.

• Advertisement

We were travelling out towards Spiddal so needed a top up either there or on the way home. My range is 220kms and we done 260kms in all when we got home.

fair enough

i guess it depends on how often you do more than 220km and if that inconvenience is worth changing a car you like that aside (if you want to change anyway its all the same!)

what cars give a pretty much gteed >300km range?

Advertisement