Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Got a call from my dealer today, wants me to drop in to sign something to do with grant. He had already received a utility bill some time ago.
    He said he heard that cars should be arriving in Ireland in about 2 weeks for delivery early Sept.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If they get it to you before the 22nd of September, they will have delivered it to you within Astronomical Summer, pity Irish Autumn starts on the 1st of September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Davy wrote: »
    A lot of people wont purchase because of the interior. If the ID.3 had the exact interior of the Golf 7/7.5 it would probably sell more, even if at a higher price.

I think the majority of people purchasing the ID.3 are new to VW rather than repeat buyers.

Yes good point

It's still a niche market

They don't want to take too many sales away from the bread and butter of Golf 7/7.5

Creating a new market suits VW alot better for the moment, hence why they went for an ID sub brand

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Thierry12 wrote: »
    They don't want to take too many sales away from the bread and butter of Golf 7/7.5

Given the Golf 8 has replaced those two models, I suspect they aren't too worried about protecting sales of a car that is no longer available :)

The rear seats in the ID.3 look similar to the Golf 8 entry seats, though you'd probably want to see one in the flesh. (around 9:50)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

eagerv wrote: »
    Got a call from my dealer today, wants me to drop in to sign something to do with grant. He had already received a utility bill some time ago.
    He said he heard that cars should be arriving in Ireland in about 2 weeks for delivery early Sept.

What do I need to do regards the grant and paperwork needed?
    It’s my first EV and I’m thinking it’s the dealers first also ;-) as he hasn’t a clue. He did tell me he ‘sold’ (took orders) for 26 of these ID3s though!

• Advertisement

What do I need to do regards the grant and paperwork needed?
    It’s my first EV and I’m thinking it’s the dealers first also ;-) as he hasn’t a clue. He did tell me he ‘sold’ (took orders) for 26 of these ID3s though!

I presume you shouldn't have to do anything, it's a job for your dealer. Others with more knowledge than me could perhaps comment. I think they need the VIN of the car assigned to the customer and then they can apply for the grant. Probably takes a few weeks hence they are calling customers now. They need a utility bill or similar from the purchaser.
    I would contact your dealer so it's not being done at the last moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I presume you shouldn't have to do anything, it's a job for your dealer. Others with more knowledge than me could perhaps comment. I think they need the VIN of the car assigned to the customer and then they can apply for the grant. Probably takes a few weeks hence they are calling customers now. They need a utility bill or similar from the purchaser.
    I would contact your dealer so it's not being done at the last moment.

I was asked to send a copy of the latest electricity bill to the dealer last week. No VIN just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The Grant process is simply enough in that we just punch in your MPRN details, where the car is going to be charged, who the bill owner is etc

The problem for the dealer is when we are submitting the grant we have to submit the exact figures that we are going to invoice the customer for. The problem is because there’s a lack of clarity on the reduction on the VAT price yet, we can’t put it through. They’re working on it but it’s not as easy as -23 percent add 21 percent, a lot of paperwork has to go on in the background.

Patience is all that’s needed, there’s loads of time left yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

L-M wrote: »
    The Grant process is simply enough in that we just punch in your MPRN details, where the car is going to be charged, who the bill owner is etc

The problem for the dealer is when we are submitting the grant we have to submit the exact figures that we are going to invoice the customer for. The problem is because there’s a lack of clarity on the reduction on the VAT price yet, we can’t put it through. They’re working on it but it’s not as easy as -23 percent add 21 percent, a lot of paperwork has to go on in the background.

Patience is all that’s needed, there’s loads of time left yet.

Thanks for that info, dealer didn’t give this as a reason to me. He wasn’t able to tell me anything.

In fairness patience isn’t a problem for people who put a deposit down on a car in May 2019. It’s communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Yeah and again to be fair there isn’t a whole pile to communicate.

Normally we’d have been to see the car in person by now and had two days full training on it, it’s very different with Covid and all online training.

I think once the car is on the ground well be able to drive it and live with it and then do what we do best!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Seeing on Twitter that the Long Range 77kWh version of the ID.3 will be weight restricted..

Only 2 rear seat passengers in the rear instead of 3 in the smaller battery versions, and the driver can’t be above a certain weight!!!!

https://twitter.com/alex_avoigt/status/1293466491782864896?s=21

Das Auto, just so long as you’re not Das Fatto!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's long been known it will be a 4 seater and no panoramic roof, due to weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

JohnC. wrote: »
    It's long been known it will be a 4 seater and no panoramic roof, due to weight.

Yes but never any mention of a weight restriction for the driver...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭phill106

Have they said what the restriction will be?
    I mean if its like 300 kilos, i understand!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I call BS on the whole "restricted weight on the driver" bit. Thats not enforceable or practical.... Sure why would it just be on the driver... what about the other 3 passengers!...its fake news.

The fact it is a 4 seater is true and it is a 4 seater because of weight/type approval.
    They also reference that the restrictions are on the 58kWh version.... thats not true either... its only on the long range model.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I wouldn't listen to that Alex Voight fool, he writes a lot of anti VW clickbait on Cleantechnica which is little more than opinions dressed up as facts.

Yes, there probably is a rated weight for the drivers seat, it's basic engineering that everything has design limits. Every car has weight limits, look at the tyre pressure numbers on your car door and it'll probably have different pressures based on different loads

Have VW installed weighing scales in their showrooms to check if someone is overweight before buying the 77kWh version? No, they have not because the weight limit for the passengers covers the same proportion of the population as every other vehicle

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

We should let him in on the secret, all vehicles have a load limit :eek:
    The load limit for the ID.3 Pro S is listed as 343kg to 421kg

You can carry a total of 421kg including the weight of the driver and all passengers.

liamog wrote: »
    We should let him in on the secret, all vehicles have a load limit :eek:
    The load limit for the ID.3 Pro S is listed as 343kg to 421kg

You can carry a total of 421kg including the weight of the driver and all passengers.

Thank you liamog for setting the record straight :)

I do think VW have made an unforced error by not reinforcing the vehicle to carry an extra 50kg when using the bigger battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I do think VW have made an unforced error by not reinforcing the vehicle to carry an extra 50kg when using the bigger battery.

It'll be interesting to see how this affects MEB based cars down the line when they start to use the 111kWh batteries.

• Advertisement

With my dealer this morning to sign form in relation to the grant.
    They are still hopeful of cars coming in the next 2 weeks for delivery at start of September.

Had a good look around the new Golf 8, nice car.
    Played with the info screen and heater controls which I believe are similar to the ID.3. Seemed simple enough. I imagine you would get used to it very quickly. The seats were also well bolstered and very comfortable, not feeling cheap. They reckoned the ID3 seats would be similar.

uTcFENV.jpg

Sorry a bit big.....

Looks great, hope the ID.3 is similar.

Only thing I'd be worried about is those capacitive touch elements they have instead of buttons in the ID.3

I like not having buttons but the lack of feeling might make it difficult to find the right button without taking your eyes off the road.
    Like all new cars though, it's something I suspect you'd get used to after a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

With my dealer this morning to sign form in relation to the grant.
    They are still hopeful of cars coming in the next 2 weeks for delivery at start of September.

Had a good look around the new Golf 8, nice car.
    Played with the info screen and heater controls which I believe are similar to the ID.3. Seemed simple enough. I imagine you would get used to it very quickly. The seats were also well bolstered and very comfortable, not feeling cheap. They reckoned the ID3 seats would be similar.

uTcFENV.jpg

Sorry a bit big.....

Heard nothing from my dealer since I sent him a copy of the electricity bill last week. Was it a Dublin dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Only 2 rear seat passengers in the rear instead of 3 in the smaller battery versions

It's not like it has 3 seats but you're only allowed to have 2 people in the back and a skinny driver in the front :p

There are only 2 seats in the back. And obviously there is no restriction on the weight of the driver. The max gross vehicle design weight is too low to allow for 5 people in the car when the heavier 77kWh battery is picked. That's a stupid design mistake. You'd wonder were they too far into the development when they realised this so they weren't really able to fix that any more so they had to go ahead with this 4 seat malarky?

Heard nothing from my dealer since I sent him a copy of the electricity bill last week. Was it a Dublin dealer?

No, Waterford.

Looks great, hope the ID.3 is similar.

Only thing I'd be worried about is those capacitive touch elements they have instead of buttons in the ID.3

I like not having buttons but the lack of feeling might make it difficult to find the right button without taking your eyes off the road.
    Like all new cars though, it's something I suspect you'd get used to after a few weeks

The new Golf has standard buttons on the wheel, so not sure how well the capacitive touch buttons will work on the ID.3. But the light buttons on the Golf are the capacitive ones and they seemed fine. Don't think there will be any problems..

If I'm honest, I don't really see the appeal of the 77kWh version.

I've always believed the first point of call for battery size is your daily driving. I'd say anyone looking at a ~500km commute would probably be looking at a bigger car in the first place, and if they aren't getting mileage then they should really be looking at a different job!

Then there's the road trip question. From my view, it's a question of the added expense of the bigger battery versus how much time it saves. Against the 59kWh version, you're probably looking at saving 1 charging stop over a 1000km trip for the added expense of around €5000 (ID.3 Pro versus Pro S in Germany prices).

That's of course assuming you didn't do any destination charging. In other words you drove from Belfast to Cork, turned around and drove straight home :confused:

If a charging stop takes an hour (assuming you're using ESB 50kW chargers, let's pretend you don't know about Ionity), and you made a long road trip every weekend, then that's 52 hours saved for the cost of €5000.

So that's almost €100 per hour to save 1 hour every week. Doesn't seem very worthwhile to me.

Now, I know someone is going to say "I do long road trips with 5 people, therefore this car is a total failure" but I'd like to remind you the same logic applies. If you need to carry 5 people, get the smaller battery and enjoy the extra €5k in your pocket

If I'm honest, I don't really see the appeal of the 77kWh version.

I've always believed the first point of call for battery size is your daily driving. I'd say anyone looking at a ~500km commute would probably be looking at a bigger car in the first place, and if they aren't getting mileage then they should really be looking at a different job!

Then there's the road trip question. From my view, it's a question of the added expense of the bigger battery versus how much time it saves. Against the 59kWh version, you're probably looking at saving 1 charging stop over a 1000km trip for the added expense of around €5000 (ID.3 Pro versus Pro S in Germany prices).

That's of course assuming you didn't do any destination charging. In other words you drove from Belfast to Cork, turned around and drove straight home :confused:

If a charging stop takes an hour (assuming you're using ESB 50kW chargers, let's pretend you don't know about Ionity), and you made a long road trip every weekend, then that's 52 hours saved for the cost of €5000.

So that's almost €100 per hour to save 1 hour every week. Doesn't seem very worthwhile to me.

Now, I know someone is going to say "I do long road trips with 5 people, therefore this car is a total failure" but I'd like to remind you the same logic applies. If you need to carry 5 people, get the smaller battery and enjoy the extra €5k in your pocket

All probably true but many people will not buy an EV until it has the range of an ICE, this often quoted Dublin to Cork return without even stopping for a coffee and pee!
    When the Irish Times last week with their wonderful journalism allowed a dealer to spout uncontested rubbish such as todays' EVs were only really suitable for low mileage rural users and city dwellers.
    Even our lowly Ioniq 28kWh is perfect for most of our driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭3d4life

+1

Its four people of 16 stone odd each ( sorry, I think in 'old money' :D )

Many a German weighs in at well over 16st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭3d4life

All probably true but many people will not buy an EV until it has the range of an ICE, this often quoted Dublin to Cork return without even stopping for a coffee and pee!.....

Its business use. There are an army of these people. Service engineers and the like. Pushed for time and working long hours under pressure. If you havnt done it you probably wont understand it.

Advertisement