Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

3d4life wrote: »
    Its business use. There are an army of these people. Service engineers and the like. Pushed for time and working long hours under pressure. If you havnt done it you probably wont understand it.

Unfortunately I had to do it for too long.:)

(But I always stopped for a break now and then..)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

eagerv wrote: »
    All probably true but many people will not buy an EV until it has the range of an ICE, this often quoted Dublin to Cork return without even stopping for a coffee and pee!
    When the Irish Times last week with their wonderful journalism allowed a dealer to spout uncontested rubbish such as todays' EVs were only really suitable for low mileage rural users and city dwellers.
    Even our lowly Ioniq 28kWh is perfect for most of our driving.

Yep, as usual it's utter garbage from people who have no experience of driving an EV

I'm sure there are people out there who cover 500km per day of driving, and perhaps they have little enough faith in public charging that they don't want to depend on a recharge.

But I really don't think those people would be fixated on a C-segment hatchback for their next car. They'll almost certainly want something with a nicer interior, more space and better aerodynamics

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yep, as usual it's utter garbage from people who have no experience of driving an EV

I'm sure there are people out there who cover 500km per day of driving, and perhaps they have little enough faith in public charging that they don't want to depend on a recharge.

But I really don't think those people would be fixated on a C-segment hatchback for their next car. They'll almost certainly want something with a nicer interior, more space and better aerodynamics

The drag coefficient of 0.267 is actually very good for what is a fairly tall car.

Of course an EV will not suit everybody. If I was still doing high mileage at meetings wherever, with very little notice, I would probably drive a diesel. But an EV with larger battery will probably suit most people.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Whilst I do agree with you that the 77kWh battery is unnecessary for most people, VW scored an own goal by failing to uprate the axle to support the weight. They could of avoided it entirely by either not producing a 77kWh ID.3 or upgrading the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Dealer told me this morning that the 1st plus isn't yet on the SEAI system so he can't apply for the grant yet. What the hell are they doing all this time?? Don't hold your breath for early September delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

rx8 wrote: »
    Dealer told me this morning that the 1st plus isn't yet on the SEAI system so he can't apply for the grant yet. What the hell are they doing all this time?? Don't hold your breath for early September delivery.

Don't worry about it, the car just needs to be on the system about a week before delivery, the Tesla Model 3 had a similar "problem".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

The car is definitely on the SEAI section for the home charger grant.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I wonder did many people give out as much when the I3 was released and only has 4 seats?!!

In all likelihood the dealer doesn't know the password to unlock the computer, which is why he can't apply for the grant :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭DermoMIO

In all likelihood the dealer doesn't know the password to unlock the computer, which is why he can't apply for the grant :rolleyes:

I had this with my sales man, the other sales man had the login for grant portal so he couldn’t check the status of my grant when getting my egolf :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Johnfred

eagerv wrote: »
    With my dealer this morning to sign form in relation to the grant.
    They are still hopeful of cars coming in the next 2 weeks for delivery at start of September.

Had a good look around the new Golf 8, nice car.
    Played with the info screen and heater controls which I believe are similar to the ID.3. Seemed simple enough. I imagine you would get used to it very quickly. The seats were also well bolstered and very comfortable, not feeling cheap. They reckoned the ID3 seats would be similar.

uTcFENV.jpg

Sorry a bit big.....
    Have they reduced the price because of the 2% VAT Reduction on 1st Sept. I asked my local dealer and they had heard nothing about the prices being reduced and said they doubt that they will reduce the price! Surely they have to?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Johnfred wrote: »
    Have they reduced the price because of the 2% VAT Reduction on 1st Sept. I asked my local dealer and they had heard nothing about the prices being reduced and said they doubt that they will reduce the price! Surely they have to?

I had an email from the dealer confirming that VW Ireland agreed to pass on the reduction of vat however the amount is not confirmed yet. Should be around €700 reduction for the base model.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I wonder did many people give out as much when the I3 was released and only has 4 seats?!!

The i3 is out in its own though, quite unique.
    The iD3 is pitched as the mass market EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This is the interior I reckon, it's the standard one on the non 1st..

Screenshot-20200813-204222-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭conor_mc

liamog wrote: »
    Whilst I do agree with you that the 77kWh battery is unnecessary for most people, VW scored an own goal by failing to uprate the axle to support the weight. They could of avoided it entirely by either not producing a 77kWh ID.3 or upgrading the car.

I’d say they’re relying on the battery weight/kWh dropping for the midlife facelift version, no need to re-engineer the chassis for the sake of what you’d expect to be the the most niche version of the car if your problem disappears in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭conor_mc

If I'm honest, I don't really see the appeal of the 77kWh version.

I've always believed the first point of call for battery size is your daily driving. I'd say anyone looking at a ~500km commute would probably be looking at a bigger car in the first place, and if they aren't getting mileage then they should really be looking at a different job!

Then there's the road trip question. From my view, it's a question of the added expense of the bigger battery versus how much time it saves. Against the 59kWh version, you're probably looking at saving 1 charging stop over a 1000km trip for the added expense of around €5000 (ID.3 Pro versus Pro S in Germany prices).

That's of course assuming you didn't do any destination charging. In other words you drove from Belfast to Cork, turned around and drove straight home :confused:

If a charging stop takes an hour (assuming you're using ESB 50kW chargers, let's pretend you don't know about Ionity), and you made a long road trip every weekend, then that's 52 hours saved for the cost of €5000.

So that's almost €100 per hour to save 1 hour every week. Doesn't seem very worthwhile to me.

Now, I know someone is going to say "I do long road trips with 5 people, therefore this car is a total failure" but I'd like to remind you the same logic applies. If you need to carry 5 people, get the smaller battery and enjoy the extra €5k in your pocket

I think the real target market will be doing 180km/h for a couple of hours on an autobahn, not 120 km/h for several hours on Irish roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,066 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

77kWh is about 300km at motorway speed once you've factored in not charging to 100%, not running it down close to zero, and not always driving in perfect summer conditions.

Not everyone just commutes. A fair number of people drive around parts of the country for work, and won't have a convenient charger at any of their destinations.

My Model 3 regularly does over 250km a day and while most of those routes have a fast charger along the route, it is nice to be able to stop when you choose rather than when you have to.

For instance, coming towards Dublin on the M7, J14 Mayfield has by far the best food but only 50kW chargers. With a bigger battery you can eat decent food and forget about charging.

Planning stops around charging infrastructure is worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Lumen wrote: »
    77kWh is about 300km at motorway speed once you've factored in not charging to 100%,

I hear this a lot on here. Is it a Tesla thing?

Charging to 100% before a long run would be normal for me. The car isn't sitting around at 100% (I know it's not really 100%) for any length of time. Within about 30 minutes of full charge, the car is using it up on the road. In January, I did around 340kms of mostly motorway to arrive at a planned charge stop with 75kms left, and that's with a 64kWh battery.

I'm currently watching the post every day to see if I got the speed down quick enough for a hidden speed van, so I'm not Miss Daisy's chauffeur.

I hear this a lot on here. Is it a Tesla thing?

From the ID.3 owners manual.Screenshot-20200814-095146.png

Source: https://youtu.be/bNaperWtSFc

At around 1:58

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Lumen wrote: »
    From the ID.3 owners manual.Screenshot-20200814-095146.png

Source: https://youtu.be/bNaperWtSFc

At around 1:58

And I would agree that would be sensible for everyday driving. I max at 70% for that, but if I'm heading off on a long run it'll start with 100% battery.

• Advertisement

And I would agree that would be sensible for everyday driving. I max at 70% for that, but if I'm heading off on a long run it'll start with 100% battery.
    Sure, with that extract I'm just drawing attention to the fact that the ID.3 isn't any different. It doesn't have some enormous top buffer that renders battery care redundant.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I did this 3 days in a row this week in my Tesla as each day I had a minimum of 200+ km’s to drive on the motorway, and on the 3rd day the car actually warmed me it was not good practice to charge to 100% every day....

Each time though, I only charged to 90% during the night, and only set to 100% about an hour before my planned departure time to as to not have the car sitting at 100% for very long..

Top gear review is out https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/volkswagen/id3

Getting less than 300km is worrying, it's the max though on a hot day so hopefully the others are a lot better.

The amount of People who used to attack me here over charging to 80% and now it's coming form the largest auto manufacturer in the world lol

Anyway..... I don't think it's as big a deal today with the much larger batteries we have now, it was much more important in the early days of a Nissan Leaf, or 64 Ah i3, my i3 battery is as good as new, certainly no noticeable difference to range and battery kappa max still hovers between 29 and 29.6 Kwh from 29.6 when I took it home @9 months old, for the first time and checked, it's certainly remarkable after 3 years 5 months and nearly 93,000 Kms.

However, other manufacturers might not see such good results as the i3 ( 94Ah ) I do not know about the 120 Ah. The 64 Ah didn't fair nearly as well as the 94 Ah.

Still considering the size of batteries today it's not as much if an issue because even a 10 or 20% loss means the car is still perfectly usable. For instance, if you had a Kona and were averaging around 350 kms before you needed to stop for a charge with average of maybe 20% remaining then you would get 280 Kms under the same conditions.

So if you can charge to 80% then do, If you need the range then charging to 100% is no big deal these days, the only thing I wouldn't do is keep it above 80% for days on end as batteries are stressed the longer they're kept at a high state of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Getting less than 300km is worrying, it's the max though on a hot day so hopefully the others are a lot better.

Warm day is a plus for range though ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Why would that be?
    The difference in range between the 58kWh variants will be minimal as the only difference is a little extra weight... if your short and skinny it would have as much of an effect! :)

Cyrus wrote: »
    Warm day is a plus for range though ?

He seemed to say the air con was killing the battery. Shouldn't be a problem here.

Just on not charging the battery to 100% is that to save it for the next person, not understanding the logic.

They got 220 miles range, although they didn't say if that was indicated or if they actually covered 220 miles.

Even so, that's 350km which stacks up with other cars of similar battery size

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

He seemed to say the air con was killing the battery. Shouldn't be a problem here.

Heating the cabin is a range killer particularly if you dont have a heat pump (which the ID.3 doesnt)

Aircon not so much.

Having read the article I dont think they really did a range test as such. They just test drove it and then did some extrapolation of the range based on how it behaved. Not exactly a scientific test. I wouldnt read into it until we see a proper range test where the car is taken to <10% and driven normally.
    Just on not charging the battery to 100% is that to save it for the next person, not understanding the logic.

To marginally reduce the amount of battery degradation. Having the battery at a high SoC causes more stress on it and hence more degradation over a long time.

The recommendation is to limit that by only charging to 80%. Tesla have it in their cars and the ID.3 has it also where you set the cutoff point.

If you need to do a long motorway run then you simply charge it to 100% the night before and it will be perfectly fine. What you dont want is to be charging the car to 100% every night and have the car sitting there for several hours everyday at that SoC... it will all add up.

• Advertisement

Wasn't a great review,

That's what I was thinking, not charging to 100% isn't something the first owner needs to worry about if there only keeping it a couple of years. It's more about protecting Tesla/VW from battery warranty claims.

Advertisement