Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,321 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I dunno, ask her. She heard a rumour but she could not get any credible confirmation from any of her sources. She makes that perfectly clear, doesn't she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

unkel wrote: »
    You obviously don't watch her channel. Give me one point in the above video that is untrue and plainly biased rubbish.

Its a clickbait VW bash video

Ive watched plenty of her

Anyway

" We have seen delays after delays ", no they basically on time, in a world pandemic

" ID3 rushed onto market ", thats Tesla honey

" Rollout is a car crash " theres guys here waiting 4 years for a Model 3, watching bloody stenaline boat sailings, maybe thats our boat lol

"I advise people not buy right now and let VW iron out issues", she never did that for Tesla or automaker that I can remember

She makes it sound like these ID3 cars are made in a tent or something and thrown together

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jonnythefox

I dunno, ask her. She heard a rumour but she could not get any credible confirmation from any of her sources. She makes that perfectly clear, doesn't she?

Ya but why say it then if it’s not from a credible source.... poor reporting IMO!
    Don’t mean to be all negative on her, she’s usually pretty good.

Are you seriously claiming the car is not rushed to market? When bog standard functionality like climate control is not yet working and is still waiting for a software update? Diess himself (CEO of VW) has acknowledged that VW is struggling in the area of software and that they are very far behind Tesla

I have no doubts the ID.3 is a great car. I was due to buy one myself, but it turned out it was a lot smaller than VW claimed, so not suitable for me. And I can understand all of you who are eagerly expecting your new car (no doubt it will be a cracker to drive) don't want to hear any bad news

But try not to lose your sense of perspective here...

And full disclosure: I own VW shares, but I do not own Tesla shares

Ya but why say it then if it’s not from a credible source.... poor reporting IMO!

Isn't a rumour by definition NOT from a credible source? :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Are you seriously claiming the car is not rushed to market? When bog standard functionality like climate control is not yet working and is still waiting for a software update? Diess himself (CEO of VW) has acknowledged that VW is struggling in the area of software and that they are very far behind Tesla

I have no doubts the ID.3 is a great car. I was due to buy one myself, but it turned out it was a lot smaller than VW claimed, so not suitable for me. And I can understand all of you who are eagerly expecting your new car (no doubt it will be a cracker to drive) don't want to hear any bad news

But try not to lose your sense of perspective here...

And full disclosure: I own VW shares, but I do not own Tesla shares

Its a Golf with a €15,000 battery/drive train

Something has to give, you cant have everything

No one else has a family car 200bhp/60kWh/RWD/liquid cooled battery/100kW charging on the market for €33,000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

She said:

"VW confirmed back in January to Chris from the Battery Life YT channel that the ID.3.....wouldn't get the dual zone....." when it was launched but that these features would later be added via a software update

A bit of research shows this was widely reported at the time. Here is the video all these publications refer to:

This is August. Why would she base this on an eight month old information.

A bit of research would show that it is incorrect.

Mr Q wrote: »
    This is August. Why would she base this on an eight month old information.

A bit of research would show that it is incorrect.

Is it incorrect? I genuinely don't know either way. Any link?

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Its a Golf with a €15,000 battery/drive train

Something has to give, you cant have everything

No one else has a family car 200bhp/60kWh/RWD/liquid cooled battery/100kW charging on the market for €33,000

And now you're an apologist? :p

Dude, that's worse than a fanboi :D

And don't get me wrong here. I'm no nay sayer. I really want the ID.3 and the whole VW electrification to do really well. The first of the automotive giants to take the leap. Some others with smaller balls will not survive, VW are giving themselves a good chance here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I know you’re around a long time Unkel but you’re ruining anything that doesn’t praise Tesla. Can’t understand why you’re still posting, it’s tiring.

• Advertisement

L-M wrote: »
    I know you’re around a long time Unkel but you’re ruining anything that doesn’t praise Tesla. Can’t understand why you’re still posting, it’s tiring.

You must very selectively pick my posts. I criticise everything EV, including what are probably the better players, like VW and Tesla.

Like I said, I actually hold VW shares. What more can I say? I really want the ID.3 to do well, I would have bought one if it were bigger. Dunno, do you not believe me on this?

What I do not like is people sugarcoating problems. With any car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

eagerv wrote: »
    A video from "Transport Evolved" today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i2h3B0QAv8

Seeing I was the one who posted the video link I suppose I should comment on it. Only just home from work but I did follow the comments during the evening.

I also watch a lot of Nikki's videos and generally find she reports fairly. However this video I feel was a little negative.

Yes the ID.3 is a little late to market, but she never mentioned (Or I didn't notice) that most of the world has been under lock down for the last 6 months. I will actually be happy if we do get the cars as we expect in early September. And all 1st versions will get I am told dual zone climate (Not that I care anyway, don't think I have ever used on my last 3 cars)

I think perhaps she researched some of the video from her UK sources, where the entry 1st is not being sold, only the Plus. And it is quite expensive there, as in most of Europe. I have noticed a negative reaction to the ID.3 on UK fora, perhaps because they were late to the ordering and pricing compared to the rest of Europe. Many there have cancelled their initial order due to this.

Here as in most of Europe the entry 1st looks promising. At 34 K, as others have mentioned, it seems well priced against the competition. I was quoted 42K on the road price for a Kona and 36K (IIRC) for a new Ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Agreed the 1st is well priced, paying an extra 7k or 14k completely changes your perception, a lot of country's didn't even get a chance to buy dare I say it the one with the better range. Granted the lights don't wink at you but you can't miss what you've never had.

Agreed the 1st is well priced, paying an extra 7k or 14k completely changes your perception, a lot of country's didn't even get a chance to buy dare I say it the one with the better range. Granted the lights don't wink at you but you can't miss what you've never had.

And to be fair also they are probably the first company to bring out an EV where the pricing is similar to a comparable, but less powerful, ICE.

When I was in the showroom yesterday I had a look at the new Golf. It was the fairly basic diesel version and posted a pic of the seats because i was told materials were similar to the entry ID.3. I should have taken a pic of the price card, but I am pretty sure it was over 34K. It didn't have satnav but otherwise was similarly fitted to the ID.3. Plastics were also not great, but it was a nice place to be.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

You must very selectively pick my posts. I criticise everything EV, including what are probably the better players, like VW and Tesla.

Like I said, I actually hold VW shares. What more can I say? I really want the ID.3 to do well, I would have bought one if it were bigger. Dunno, do you not believe me on this?

There is a difference between sugar coating issues, and what seems to be a concerted effort to spread FUD. By all means condemn VW for actual bad decisions, but the release plan has largely held up, with the software gaps being very minor in the grand scheme of things.

The ID.3 isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but the way the software issues have been reported by anonymous sources paints a very different picture to reality. The leaks via manager magazine give me the impression of someone who's playing a game of office politics, except using public opinion to bring them down. It's the same stuff we saw with Ghosn at Nissan.

What I find most interesting about the ID.3 is just how much the pro Tesla sites are pushing the anti VW narrative. There's also a few others on EV sites who really seem to relish every negative rumour that is related to the ID.3. The UK pre-bookers seem to have been especially left out by VW, there's a few on one of the FB groups that give regular updates on why they cancelled their pre-order, it's like the opposite of buyers remorse, I think they just want to re-affirm their reasons for cancelling as they are worried they made the wrong decision.

Any idea which port VW are normally shipped through?

I understand they use NVD in Ireland, seeing I live near one should I keep the drone batteries charged?:D:D

L-M wrote: »

unkel, please keep posting in this thread. I for one value your mainly positive postings re the ID.3.

Back to the video. I wonder if the ID.3 was for sale in the US at a similar price to a well specced Golf/Civic etc (Around $25K ?) and being delivered in Sept would Nikki have made this video?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Review from Jonny Smith. Haven’t watched it yet:)

I like his suitcase:)

Review from Jonny Smith. Haven’t watched it yet:)

Not much new in that "Test".

Bit disappointed in that video from Jonny, normally I find his videos very informative. Appears that VW are still controlling how the tests are conducted using a pre-determined route and only allowing the cars out for a short period using stock VW filming.

The comments are more interesting, UK prices seem high in comparison with other EVs, with many saying Kia, Hyundai, Tesla etc offering better value for money. Also for countries not having VRT it puts the price way above ICE comparisons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

While I won't be getting one of these and I've been critical of the "fisher price" interior, the dark interior in Johnny's video looks way better than the white interior. So that's something.

Currently in a Kona Premium and Model X. I'd have gone for an ID3 over the Kona had they had the bigger battery available and timing didn't match. Kona replaced an eGolf which I loved.

Johnny had 2 hours to record this video, he did ok all things considered.

Not sure about the "affordability", given that it's 45k list price here before grants etc that's still very high. I guess it's "wait and see" time in VW land.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

flamegrill wrote: »
    Not sure about the "affordability", given that it's 45k list price here before grants etc that's still very high. I guess it's "wait and see" time in VW land.

I never quite understand the pricing argument, if people like a car they seem to only care about the on the road price, when they choose not to get it, suddenly it's always too expensive due to the price before grants :D

The ID.3 1st is the model with the upgraded battery pack and motor, there are a still a number of cheaper configurations to be released. Unfortunately I think the change in German grants caused VW to modify their plans. It was originally expected that the 45kWh/93kW motor version would come out alongside the 58kWh/150kW but they appear to have switched this to maximise the higher margin cars whilst the grants there are good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This versus a Model 3 new for a few grand more or even a used Model 3 or S.....no comparison IMHO
    All these cars need to think Model S comparison.

I'd only be interested in the largest battery size so lets see what that pricing comes to

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    This versus a Model 3 new for a few grand more or even a used Model 3 or S.....no comparison IMHO

I'd only be interested in the largest battery size so lets see what that pricing comes to

Not sure if it's fair to compare a new car against a second hand car.

And the ID.3 1st is about 15K less expensive last time I looked..

slave1 wrote: »

That's another thing I don't understand why do EV drivers just see cars as batteries on wheels. The Model 3, Model S and ID.3 are in three different segments. If you want a compact family hatch the 3 and S are terrible.
    Similarly comparing the price of a 2nd hand car versus a new car is a bit crazy. In a couple of years the ID.3 will be available 2nd hand, by all means it's a worthwhile metric for an individuals purchase, but not one that's useful when comparing new cars on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

eagerv wrote: »
    And the ID.3 1st is about 15K less expensive last time I looked..

slave1 didnt say it but I presume he is comparing the 77kWh version vs a Model 3.... the 77kWh (€48k) is very close in price to the Model 3.

The entry level 1st edition is €15k less alright but as pointed out the two cars shouldnt be compared anyway.

Looking at all the issues with Tesla and having only one service center in the country is enough for me to pick the Volkswagen. I'm very happy with their backup and 0 issues in my current one.
    I expect it to be painted properly, bumpers to stay on, it not explode and give pretty much trouble free ownership.
    If I was in Dublin maybe I'd consider it but I'm not and have no intention of going to Dublin for the foreseeable future, I've only been there once since January when I used to be a regular visitor.

KCross wrote: »
    slave1 didnt say it but I presume he is comparing the 77kWh version vs a Model 3.... the 77kWh (€48k) is very close in price to the Model 3.

If your going to compare two car in different segments, then at least stick to the same range, it's very much a case of picking and choosing to artificially conflate the two. Slave1 would want to be comparing the Tesla Model 3 LR versus an ID.3 with the 77kWh battery, your back to a 10k difference again.

KCross wrote: »

The entry level 1st edition is €15k less alright but as pointed out the two cars shouldnt be compared anyway.

Agree comparisons aren't helpful, but if I were to buy the M3 (Which I was very much tempted by:)) it would be the performance.

But cannot justify the price and also a hatchback suits us better needing to carry a dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Looking at all the issues with Tesla and having only one service center in the country is enough for me to pick the Volkswagen. I'm very happy with their backup and 0 issues in my current one.
    I expect it to be painted properly, bumpers to stay on, it not explode and give pretty much trouble free ownership.
    If I was in Dublin maybe I'd consider it but I'm not and have no intention of going to Dublin for the foreseeable future, I've only been there once since January when I used to be a regular visitor.

I'm in Swords and one of the reasons I'm more interested in a VW is that there's a VW garage 5 mins drive away whereas the Tesla service centre is on the other side of Dublin in one of the most heavily trafficked areas.

I'm not planning on any cars breaking down, but when it comes to annual checks, I can drop a VW in and jog home to work from home. If I've a Tesla I need to take a day off and hang around Dundrum.

I realise it's an extremely personal viewpoint, but I think it's worth considering this stuff when purchasing a car

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Advertisement