Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Will be a far more entertaining discussion next year when folks will be comparing SUVs ( C segment) as that is where there is a massive demand .We will have Nissan,VW,Tesla ,BMW, Skoda to fight over ;)

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

slave1 wrote: »
    This versus a Model 3 new for a few grand more or even a used Model 3 or S.....no comparison IMHO
    All these cars need to think Model S comparison.

I'd only be interested in the largest battery size so lets see what that pricing comes to
    liamog wrote: »
    That's another thing I don't understand why do EV drivers just see cars as batteries on wheels. The Model 3, Model S and ID.3 are in three different segments. If you want a compact family hatch the 3 and S are terrible.
    Similarly comparing the price of a 2nd hand car versus a new car is a bit crazy. In a couple of years the ID.3 will be available 2nd hand, by all means it's a worthwhile metric for an individuals purchase, but not one that's useful when comparing new cars on the market.
    KCross wrote: »
    slave1 didnt say it but I presume he is comparing the 77kWh version vs a Model 3.... the 77kWh (€48k) is very close in price to the Model 3.

The entry level 1st edition is €15k less alright but as pointed out the two cars shouldnt be compared anyway.
    If your going to compare two car in different segments, then at least stick to the same range, it's very much a case of picking and choosing to artificially conflate the two. Slave1 would want to be comparing the Tesla Model 3 LR versus an ID.3 with the 77kWh battery, your back to a 10k difference again.

All points just demonstrating the differing view points, I'd be comparing the LR to the ID 77kWh battery from a new car perspective, I'm not bothered about "segment".
    I bench everything off the Model 3 as it's my konstant being (I believe) the best benchmark EV out there.
    If someone prefers the ID3 then 100% fine but in my head it would be advantages and disadvantages versus the bench Model 3 e.g. Model 3 more expensive, limited geographical support as disadvantages versus the ID and better range, looks, performance as advantages.
    I also have had no problem in comparing new versus used all my life, there's no right/wrong way in the decision process, just different ways, some suit some, some suit others etc.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

All points just demonstrating the differing view points, I'd be comparing the LR to the ID 77kWh battery from a new car perspective, I'm not bothered about "segment".

There is €10k in the difference there then. Thats hardly "a few grand more"?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If I've a Tesla I need to take a day off and hang around Dundrum.

Do VW not give out loaners? Tesla are extremely generous in this regard..

I live in Rush and haven't been back out to Sandyford in 5 months of ownership, and won't expect to be back out there until March 2022 when it's first checkup will be due...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I bench everything off the Model 3 as it's my konstant being (I believe) the best benchmark EV out there.
    If someone prefers the ID3 then 100% fine but in my head it would be advantages and disadvantages versus the bench Model 3 e.g. Model 3 more expensive, limited geographical support as disadvantages versus the ID and better range, looks, performance as advantages.
    I also have had no problem in comparing new versus used all my life, there's no right/wrong way in the decision process, just different ways, some suit some, some suit others etc.

It looks like your in the EVs are batteries on wheels club, it's time to move on from this viewpoint. EVs are cars that happen to be powered by electricity stored in a lithium ion battery. People should buy the car that suits them instead of buying something unsuitable for their needs. By all means you may want the latest greatest self-driving tech, in which case a TM3 is right for you, but if you are looking for a compact hatchback then it's pretty much the ID.3 or Leaf at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Most EVs whatever the segment have their positives and negatives, thankfully there is room for all of them. The more the merrier.:)

I loved the low set driving position of the TM3, so similar to my present Honda. Even the view ahead was similar enough, with the low dash and similar low shaped bonnet with side wings. (Even the Tesla lad who sat in my car for a chat noticed this). However my wife who suffers from long time sports injuries finds a low car uncomfortable at the moment and needs an auto. (She finds her Ioniq fine). The ID3 will hopefully be better again which she will be using for longer trips.

There is €10k in the difference there then. Thats hardly "a few grand more"?

Never said it was.

Plenty of folk out there where the money won't come into it.
    Lad next door to parents, he changes his car every single January for the same model, just newer plate, money does not come into it, he wants a new car on a new plate and avoid any mechanical issues, that's his criteria, away with him.

Never said it was.

This quote from you I think is what kicked off the discussion... :)
    "This versus a Model 3 new for a few grand more or even a used Model 3 or S.....no comparison IMHO"

It looks like your in the EVs are batteries on wheels club, it's time to move on from this viewpoint.

Perhaps I am, perhaps I'm not, but you don't get to tell me to move on.
    My opinion is my opinion.

That's the great thing about these forums, you gain knowledge, pass some time, learn from other's good and bad decisions and all these help you form your opinion for whatever decision you need to make. Or maybe folk are just browsing.

Differing opinions are healthy so being frank it is not your place to tell me to move on to (likely) align to your viewpoint.

This quote from you I think is what kicked off the discussion... :)
    "This versus a Model 3 new for a few grand more or even a used Model 3 or S.....no comparison IMHO"

Hands up, my bad so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Never said it was.

Plenty of folk out there where the money won't come into it.
    Lad next door to parents, he changes his car every single January for the same model, just newer plate, money does not come into it, he wants a new car on a new plate and avoid any mechanical issues, that's his criteria, away with him.

Unless he buys a Ferrari every year, I would say money does come into it.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Perhaps I am, perhaps I'm not, but you don't get to tell me to move on.
    My opinion is my opinion.

That's the great thing about these forums, you gain knowledge, pass some time, learn from other's good and bad decisions and all these help you form your opinion for whatever decision you need to make. Or maybe folk are just browsing.

I'm not commanding you to move on like some godly Zeus figure :D

We're past the point where you decided to get an EV, and had a choice between Leaf, I3, Zoe, and Model S. The market has moved such a way in a short time, that it now makes sense to start comparing cars in segments instead of just a battery on wheels. Each EV on the market has strengths and weaknesses, car segment is usually one of the first you decide on when buying a car. It really makes sense to compare like for like. The ID.3 is not intended as a competitor to the TM3, that will be the Passat like car previewed as the ID Vizzion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Do VW not give out loaners? Tesla are extremely generous in this regard..

I live in Rush and haven't been back out to Sandyford in 5 months of ownership, and won't expect to be back out there until March 2022 when it's first checkup will be due...

I've a Leaf and Nissan have never offered one, not sure what VW are like.

I guess they tend to offer loaners if the car is expected to be in for a couple of days. Other than the time I blew up the clutch on my old Toyota Auris, I've never had a car in the garage for more than 8 hours

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

The ID.3 is not intended as a competitor to the TM3, that will be the Passat like car previewed as the ID Vizzion.

If that even, I suspect they might leave that competition to Audi.

If that even, I suspect they might leave that competition to Audi.

I'm sure some in VAG like to think that Audi are a bit more upmarket than Tesla, but yeah I do agree, German competitors to the Model 3 would be A4, C-Class and a 3 Series. It remains to be seen if they can bring cars in the approx price range.

I'm sure some in VAG like to think that Audi are a bit more upmarket than Tesla, but yeah I do agree, German competitors to the Model 3 would be A4, C-Class and a 3 Series. It remains to be seen if they can bring cars in the approx price range.

I wonder if that's part of the logic behind not building the ID Vizzion until 2022. By then they're hoping that build costs will be down and they'll have any initial problems ironed out with the ID.3 and 4.

At the moment VW can (rightly so) play the "it's not a Tesla competitor" card with the current lineup. Once they make cars in the same segment and price range, then that play goes out the window

I'm sure there'll be an Audi A4 E-tron based on the MEB platform too, that'll probably be the direct competition for the TM3

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

to be fair they dont need to, they can charge a premium (as the product will be premium against the M3) as long as they can deliver on range and features.

My local dealer has confirmed today that the OTR price is €33700 (i.e. the full VAT decrease is being passed on).

Johnfred wrote: »
    Spoke to my dealer and they said VW will up the prices and the VAT reduction might be only €200-€300. We’ll have to wait and see!

My guess is your dealer is hoodwinking you by saying its VW doing it, when in fact its the dealer creaming more off the top for themselves.

My local dealer has confirmed today that the OTR price is €33700 (i.e. the full VAT decrease is being passed on).

So that is €725 less than present listed price. I think I am correct?
    I wonder how they will treat a trade in customer like myself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

I'm trading in aswell and I am expecting the full vat reduction to be passed on by the dealer. It won't take long to recalculate the figures to allow for the difference. I'll be mighty displeased if it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Johnfred

I see they’ve updated the prices on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Cracking price for a quick, long range, decent size, fast charging EV

Anyone buying this base model is a clever one

Thierry12 wrote: »

But it doesn't have a reversing cam, literally unusable ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

The difference on a plus is 825€, not bad. Hopefully there will be a volkswagen dealer open to take delivery :(

The difference on a plus is 825€, not bad. Hopefully there will be a volkswagen dealer open to take delivery :(

With the amount of money riding on this rollout, I'd imagine they'll do home deliveries if needed

Thierry12 wrote: »

Or perhaps a stupid one

Buying a car that they wont even let us see photos of...

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Did anyone get any concrete details of the 1st movers club offer? I have contacted the VW ID team who sent us the original email with the offer but they advised me talking to the dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 seant5215

Did anyone get any concrete details of the 1st movers club offer? I have contacted the VW ID team who sent us the original email with the offer but they advised me talking to the dealer.

From VW Ireland:

Yes, we can confirm the new VAT reduction will be passed onto your ID.3 1st as it will be registered after 1st September (when the new VAT rate takes effect).

If you have ordered your ID.3 1st and register it before the end of October, you will be eligible for the 1st Mover’s Club. If you choose to pay by cash you can avail of either:
    a) Up to €1,000 (incl. VAT) contribution towards your ID. Charger & Installation
    OR
    b) A 3 Year Service & Maintenance Plan
    Your Volkswagen retailer will be able to organise and assist on whichever option you opt for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

What exactly do you want to know?

The options were simple enough

€1,000 toward Vw charger
    Free servicing
    3 free payments

Choose any one of the above.

Advertisement