Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Some nice clear shots of the 1st interior. Must say, I am quite happy with the way it looks.. (Best colour too:))

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Johnfred

Has anyone got a charger installed yet? It looks like you have to wait until you have a reg. before you can apply for the grant, so you could have the car but no home charger for a few weeks and depend on the 3 pin charger or use charging points. Not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Johnfred wrote: »
    Has anyone got a charger installed yet? It looks like you have to wait until you have a reg. before you can apply for the grant, so you could have the car but no home charger for a few weeks and depend on the 3 pin charger or use charging points. Not ideal.

My Zappi going in today. You don't need the reg or the EV grant reference number from the dealer before applying. Fill in the form online and leave that box blank. I think they recognise that once you put in ID3 that you won't have that number. I had the grant approval letter in 2 days.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

When applying for the home charger grant, if you don’t have the car reg or the SEAI car grant ID, it’s fine, you can still apply for the grant. It just means that when you submit the grant paperwork for payment, you’ll need to send them a copy of the cars logbook. So if you know you’ll have the car within the next 6 months, apply away and get to work on getting a charger installed.

Remember you can’t get the charger installed until you have the grant offer letter. Which takes 3-4 days to get after initially applying online.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Johnfred wrote: »
    I applied for the grant on Wednesday evening and a received letter of offer in the post on Friday morning. Only supplied ev grant ID for the car which I got from my vw dealer. Wallbox Pulsar plus is going in in 2h time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I believe there are just 2 usb c in the base version. No 12v socket in the front which is problem as I have a dash cam. Someone on fb suggested to get an obd to usb lead for the dashcam, usb c lead or hardwire into the fuse box. I haven’t decided what to do.

This wont be an issue soon. Skoda already have it as an option.

KodiaqRS_USB_C_mirror-1440x960.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭st332

Thinking of getting with the times and replacing my GTI with an ID3 (sob).

What are people's thoughts on a Volkswagen wallbox?
    I'm in a new build house that has a 3-phase supply (as we have a heat pump that takes 3-phase).
    The builder has run a 32A 3-phase supply to the front garden for a car charger.
    Would I be better off getting a 3rd party charging point so I can get something more powerful e.g. a 22kW charger?
    I presume there's not much special sauce in the VW wallbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

st332 wrote: »
    Thinking of getting with the times and replacing my GTI with an ID3 (sob).

What are people's thoughts on a Volkswagen wallbox?
    I'm in a new build house that has a 3-phase supply (as we have a heat pump that takes 3-phase).
    The builder has run a 32A 3-phase supply to the front garden for a car charger.
    Would I be better off getting a 3rd party charging point so I can get something more powerful e.g. a 22kW charger?
    I presume there's not much special sauce in the VW wallbox.

Are you in Ireland?

Note, getting a more powerful charger wont help for most cars as they are either limited to 1ph(7kW) or 3ph (11kW).

Having said that, if you have the power available you could consider installing a 2 port charge point so that you can charge two EV's simultaneously at 11kW each but it seems odd to me that you would have that level of power avilable to you in a standard domestic house in Ireland... hence my question about country?

Do you know what your max current on each phase is for the entire house?

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/press-releases/range-record-id3-makes-the-journey-from-zwickau-to-switzerland-on-a-single-charge-6334

Article from VW today.

Not that impressed, it was driven by a hypermiler average speed 56km/h. Ok, fairly loaded up with passenger and equipment.

10.9kWh/100km (Or better) is easily achievable in our Ioniq at this time of year driving normally on rural roads.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

eagerv wrote: »
    10.9kWh/100km (Or better) is easily achievable in our Ioniq at this time of year driving normally on rural roads.

Same here in my Model 3, 10.9kWh/100km is very doable by taking it handy.

Then if I take it really handy, I've seen less than 10kWh/100km (really handy and I got 9.8kWh/100km), that's giving me a range of 510km in a 409km (WLTP) car.

Also, is that article a pi$$ take? (the guys name is Egolf....)
    “This car has everything, it is compact but spacious, has a cool, almost futuristic design"

Futuristic like the Nissan Leaf....

• Advertisement

Same here in my Model 3, 10.9kWh/100km is very doable by taking it handy.

Then if I take it really handy, I've seen less than 10kWh/100km (really handy and I got 9.8kWh/100km), that's giving me a range of 510km in a 409km (WLTP) car.

I suppose it's good advertising by VW. Most people will just see the headline total distance traveled on one charge.

I expect the ID3 to have similar efficiency as the Model 3, if so I will be more than happy.

Edit, perhaps not quite as good as Model 3 or the Koreans.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Not that impressed, it was driven by a hypermiler average speed 56km/h. Ok, fairly loaded up with passenger and equipment.

That doesn't seem bad, you average speed is never going to be very high unless it's point to point motorway, sounds like I should easily be able to do my regular run I'm worried about without charging. Must check my average speed the next time but I've a feeling it's somewhere between 50/70.

KCross wrote: »
    Are you in Ireland?

Note, getting a more powerful charger wont help for most cars as they are either limited to 1ph(7kW) or 3ph (11kW).

Having said that, if you have the power available you could consider installing a 2 port charge point so that you can charge two EV's simultaneously at 11kW each but it seems odd to me that you would have that level of power avilable to you in a standard domestic house in Ireland... hence my question about country?

Do you know what your max current on each phase is for the entire house?

Yeah, I'm in Dublin.
    The main fuse is 63A.
    The MIC for the supply to the house is 16kVA.
    There is a 40A 3-phase ELCB and a 32A 3-phase MCB for the car charger circuit.

I'm an engineer, but not of the electric persuasion so only half-know what I'm talking about :D

I suppose it's academic anyway, since it seems that the charger in the ID.3 can only take a max of 11kW AC.
    Some cars, like the Renault Zoe can take 22kW AC.
    I guess it's just a nice-to-have for future proofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah, I'm in Dublin.
    The main fuse is 63A.
    There is a 40A 3-phase ELCB and a 32A 3-phase MCB for the car charger circuit.

I'm an engineer, but not of the electric persuasion so only half-know what I'm talking about :D

I suppose it's academic anyway, since it seems that the charger in the ID.3 can only take a max of 11kW AC.
    Some cars, like the Renault Zoe can take 22kW AC.
    I guess it's just a nice-to-have for future proofing.

Well if you're already cabled for 32A 3-phase then you can support up to 22kW charger.

Looking at the wallbox pulsar plus for example, the price difference between the 11kW and 22kW is £10, so personally I'd go for the 22kW.

With that amount of power you could consider getting a 2 charger setup, in case you ever get a second EV. Some chargers allow load balancing, so they'll limit to 11kW if both chargers are running, but will allow the full 22kW if only one is in use.

I was looking at the ID Charger for my mum. Not much to say other than it's a charger and it charges EVs. If you have some extra requirements above that, like integration with a PV solar system, then you might want to look elsewhere

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I suppose it's good advertising by VW. Most people will just see the headline total distance traveled on one charge.

I expect the ID3 to have similar efficiency as the Model 3, if so I will be more than happy.

Edit, perhaps not quite as good as Model 3 or the Koreans.

If it's got a safe range of about 350km between charges, then that's all I'm looking for :)

Well if you're already cabled for 32A 3-phase then you can support up to 22kW charger.

Looking at the wallbox pulsar plus for example, the price difference between the 11kW and 22kW is £10, so personally I'd go for the 22kW.

With that amount of power you could consider getting a 2 charger setup, in case you ever get a second EV. Some chargers allow load balancing, so they'll limit to 11kW if both chargers are running, but will allow the full 22kW if only one is in use.

I was looking at the ID Charger for my mum. Not much to say other than it's a charger and it charges EVs. If you have some extra requirements above that, like integration with a PV solar system, then you might want to look elsewhere

Thanks for the advice.
    I do also have solar PV, but if I have to buy a load of extra hardware or wiring to tie it in to a smart charging point, I could give that a miss - not sure the juice would be worth the squeeze.
    I'm lucky enough that the cable is already in the garden for the charging point so getting that installed should be pretty straightforward.
    If I take the plunge on the ID.3, I'll give the sparks that did the house a call and see what's sensible. The build was only completed last year so he should be clued in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

If this is the case how would you have a 22kW charger? You couldn't even have 11kW really as it wouldn't leave much for the rest of the house.

Thanks for the advice.
    I do also have solar PV, but if I have to buy a load of extra hardware or wiring to tie it in to a smart charging point, I could give that a miss - not sure the juice would be worth the squeeze.
    I'm lucky enough that the cable is already in the garden for the charging point so getting that installed should be pretty straightforward.
    If I take the plunge on the ID.3, I'll give the sparks that did the house a call and see what's sensible. The build was only completed last year so he should be clued in.

I'm on the other end, I've an EV and am looking to get PV solar installed at some point.

In general the extra hardware is simple enough, I've been looking at the Zappi for example and it would just have a CT clamp (3 in your case) clipped to the mains input to the house which connects to the charger (or a wireless interface if running a cable is too much)

When the charger sees that you're exporting power to the grid it'll switch on and try charging the car. Often they'll try to match the amount of charging power to the amount you're exporting, so you don't end up charging at full power when you've only 2kW of solar available.

There are other options, EO and Wallbox do chargers with solar integration as well, so feel free to look around. AFAIK they all work in roughly the same way, just differ on where you attach the CT sensor

Mr Q wrote: »
    If this is the case how would you have a 22kW charger? You couldn't even have 11kW really as it wouldn't leave much for the rest of the house.

Actually that's a good point, I didn't realise they did 16kVa connections for 3 phase, I though the lowest was 20kVa

Yes if the house limited to 16kVa then a 22kW charger isn't a good idea.

Unless it's 16kVa per phase, not sure how you'd check that though

There are other options, EO and Wallbox do chargers with solar integration as well, so feel free to look around. AFAIK they all work in roughly the same way, just differ on where you attach the CT sensor

The mid and higher spec VW chargers will have EEBUS so in theory will be able to integrate with solar at some stage. But this could be years away, hard to know.

• Advertisement

I'm on the other end, I've an EV and am looking to get PV solar installed at some point.

In general the extra hardware is simple enough, I've been looking at the Zappi for example and it would just have a CT clamp (3 in your case) clipped to the mains input to the house which connects to the charger (or a wireless interface if running a cable is too much)

When the charger sees that you're exporting power to the grid it'll switch on and try charging the car. Often they'll try to match the amount of charging power to the amount you're exporting, so you don't end up charging at full power when you've only 2kW of solar available.

I like the look of the Zappi alright.
    Actually that's a good point, I didn't realise they did 16kVa connections for 3 phase, I though the lowest was 20kVa

Yes if the house limited to 16kVa then a 22kW charger isn't a good idea.

Unless it's 16kVa per phase, not sure how you'd check that though

This I'm not sure of - will check with the electrician.
    It seems that 3 phase residential isn't that common so I'm having a hard time getting info.
    My heat pump has two 3 phase inputs, rated at 7.96 kW and 9 kW respectively, for a total of 16.96 kW.
    Accordingly, I'm more inclined to believe it's 16kVA per phase.

I like the look of the Zappi alright.

This I'm not sure of - will check with the electrician.
    It seems that 3 phase residential isn't that common so I'm having a hard time getting info.
    My heat pump has two 3 phase inputs, rated at 7.96 kW and 9 kW respectively, for a total of 16.96 kW.
    Accordingly, I'm more inclined to believe it's 16kVA per phase.

If you look at the price list for domestic ESB connections, it mentions 3-phase as having 20kVA and 29kVA connections

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/docs/default-source/publications/approved-statement-of-charges-2019-2020.pdf?sfvrsn=224533f0_63

I suppose one way it to look at your fuse board and see what size the main fuses are. With 3 phase I think you'll have 3 fuses, one for each live. Incidentally the live wires from your fuse box will be brown, black and grey AFAIK

If the main fuses are 64A each then your available power is:

(3 x 64A x 230V) / 1000 = 44kVA

The heat pump will draw from all 3 phases, while you appliances and sockets will probably be divided up amongst the phases.

If you opt for a 3 phase charger, it'll connect into all 3 of those fuses, so will draw equally from each phase. But you'll need to ensure one of the phases won't be overloaded when the charger is on if there's a large electric load connected to it.

Also, as a disclaimer, I'm not an electrician, like yourself I'm an engineer with a background in electronics who's figured most of this out from a lot of googling. Always get an electrician's opinion before committing to any purchases

Looks like the non 1st edition can be ordered from the 1st of October in Ireland.

Looks like the non 1st edition can be ordered from the 1st of October in Ireland.

Great news, hopefully we'll have more info about the ID.4 by then.

I'm currently torn between ID.3 and ID.4, I'd like the additional space the ID.4 has but it comes down to affordability as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Any word on prices? I can't find anything on the VW website.

Miscreant wrote: »

Didn't see anything about prices, just the date orders can start on a VW advertisement

Miscreant wrote: »

You can sort of reverse engineer it from the German prices to get an idea, it's a bit of a nightmare though

1. Take the list price from vw.de
    2. Divide by 1.16 to get the price before VAT
    3. Multiply by 0.14 to add the 14% VRT tax
    4. Subtract €5000 from this for the VRT rebate (if it goes below 0 then no VRT is due)
    5. Then multiply the prive before tax by 0.21 to get the 21% VAT amount
    6. Add the VRT and VAT amounts to the price of the car
    7. Take €5000 from this amount for the EV incentive to get the final price
    8. Throw it all in the bin because VW Ireland will add a huge profit on top regardless :(

So taking the ID.3 Life as an example:

German price: €37,787.72
    Remove 16% VAT: €40,787.72 / 1.16 = €32,575.62
    Calculate VRT: (€32,575.62 * 0.12) - 5000 = €0 VRT
    Calculate VAT: €32,575.62 * 0.21 = €6840.88
    Add tax and subtract EV incentive: €32,575.62 + €0 + €6840.88 - €5000 = €34,416.50

So probably around €34k for the ID.3 Life would be what I'm expecting, assuming VW Ireland don't fiddle the numbers in any significant way

EDIT: I wrongly included the German EV incentives in the German list price

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

So for some reason despite the ID.3 Life being less expensive than the ID.3 1st in Germany, you expect them to add over €10k to the price in Ireland compared to an ID.3 1st here?

2. Add €9000 to remove the EV incentive

Are you sure that has already been removed on the German price? I don't think it has

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »
    So for some reason despite the ID.3 Life being less expensive than the ID.3 1st in Germany, you expect them to add over €10k to the price in Ireland compared to an ID.3 1st here?

Hey, I'm just reverse engineering it from what the price is in Germany.

Keep in mind that the EV incentive in Germany is €9000 against €5000 here, so there's a €4000 price increase straight away

And there's a 5% difference in the VAT rate which will account for around €2000 increase

The difference I worked out was around €7000, so I don't think I'm a million miles off

Advertisement