Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,318 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No idea, surely not the newer model eGolf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

unkel wrote: »
    No idea, surely not the newer model eGolf?

Black Panter :p:p:p:p

Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Hope your getting a big discount

é-Golf price down €4000 in Germany and UK

I'd be ringing dealer

Getting a used one, that first year depreciation is eye watering :pac:

Whatever I get wont have much of a resale value afterwards!

Eh?

Black Panthar:p
    71CrOo2Xt0L._UY560_.jpg

• Advertisement

Where can I pick up the cigar? :p

Let me quess, you got €18k for your car as trade in for one of these executive models?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭McGiver

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Not a chance of getting a new one here for €30k! Believe me I’ve been trying, even a 191 from the UK is near €30 home.

I’ve the figures left st work but thing a standard one was €38 and the Executive was €43 after grants.

I've seen way under €30k

Only €250 to vrt this one

Under €25k all in with a small bit of haggling

Some car for that

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201903286376246?advertising-location=at_cars&year-from=2019&postcode=m52ty&sort=price-asc&page=1&price-from=500&make=VOLKSWAGEN&fuel-type=Electric&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=Used
    Lot of bang for the buck! But no reversing camera? Is that an extra?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

McGiver wrote: »
    Lot of bang for the buck! But no reversing camera? Is that an extra?

Yes. Standard on the executive though

Yes. Standard on the executive though

I dont like the camera, prefer the beepy things!

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I dont like the camera, prefer the beepy things!

I like the way the camera hides behind the VW badge!!

• Advertisement

That’s good alright

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The ID.3 is due to be fully revealed this week. Probably not too many surprises left.

Wonder how long it will take for VW IE to release price info?

https://electrek.co/2019/08/30/vw-id3-electric-car-unveiling/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

The reveal is on Monday next. I doubt we’ll see Irish prices until final orders open.

“On September 9th, starting from 8pm, you can experience this special event live. We will send you a link beforehand which will allow you to access the live stream online. If you want to see the ID.3 at the exhibition, you are welcome to visit us at the Volkswagen booth in Hall 3 from September 12th to 22nd.”

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mupchease

I didn’t think I’d like the camera but it’s brilliant and it being behind the badge is perfect for when It rains. I’m sure there is better reversing cameras but it’s the best I’ve seen so far.

It's a pity VW decided to cap the charging power on their poor mans cars to 100 Kw for the basic battery and 125 Kw on their larger pack while retaining 150+ Kw for the wealthier folk. Seemingly VW are being "conservative" with charging power on the id.3.

It will be interesting to see how long it can sustain 100 Kw and how cold will effect it.

At least the good news is that it's got proper liquid thermal management but will VW heat the battery when cold ? this has a huge impact on DC charging power.

I'd like to see an option to preheat the battery for full charging power available to the driver whether that be on battery only or while plugged in, obviously this will impact the Kwh in the battery already but at least it would allow shortest time possible when charging.

MY i3 Rex lease is up next November and I had hoped there would be a reasonably priced EV with 150 Kw charging buy then, obviously there won't, I've actually no idea what I will get next, perhaps I will just keep the i3 another year or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's a pity VW decided to cap the charging power on their poor mans cars to 100 Kw for the basic battery and 125 Kw on their larger pack while retaining 150+ Kw for the wealthier folk. Seemingly VW are being "conservative" with charging power on the id.3.
    Why do you think they are capping it?

Larger battery packs charge at a faster rate, in the aggregate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

It will be interesting to see how long it can sustain 100 Kw and how cold will effect it.

At least the good news is that it's got proper liquid thermal management but will VW heat the battery when cold ? this has a huge impact on DC charging power.

I'd like to see an option to preheat the battery for full charging power available to the driver whether that be on battery only or while plugged in, obviously this will impact the Kwh in the battery already but at least it would allow shortest time possible when charging.

MY i3 Rex lease is up next November and I had hoped there would be a reasonably priced EV with 150 Kw charging buy then, obviously there won't, I've actually no idea what I will get next, perhaps I will just keep the i3 another year or 2.

2c is a good rate

It will probably do 0-80% in 30 mins in all varients

Drive 250km, charge 30 mins, drive 250km, charge 30 mins

Nothing wrong with that

Just price now

If you can get an extended warranty on your i3 I would keep it

It charges at 1.5c and rex is very handy

Can't see anything better coming out soon

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Lumen wrote: »

I've seen several reports, including Bjorn Nyland recently, which show the entry level ID.3 being capped at 50kW charge rate, not 100kW.

The 1st edition will be 100kW and the range topper at 125kW.

The entry level model will be spec'd in a way to "make" you want to go for the more expensive mid range model.... its the VW way!

EDIT.... look at 2:40 in this video...

Lumen wrote: »

Because I read somewhere the VW engineer actually said they were being conservative with the charging power.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1118974_heres-the-battery-pack-behind-vws-global-electric-vehicle-push

"Dr. Holger Manz, VW’s head of energy management and high-voltage systems, underscored that the brand is leaving the 150-kw and 350-kw charging power to the VW Group’s luxury and performance vehicles, keeping the price in focus, and being a bit conservative on fast charging, relative to what the pack could tolerate.

“We just didn’t want to go to the extremes here, because this would be the new people’s car,” Manz said.

We look forward to bringing more actual specs in coming months. With these vehicles poised to be the way Volkswagen makes good of its brand, post TDI, and shows the mainstream how to love EVs, this all-important power pack looks soundly on the right track.
    "

2c is a good rate

It will probably do 0-80% in 30 mins in all varients

Drive 250km, charge 30 mins, drive 250km, charge 30 mins

Nothing wrong with that

Just price now

If you can get an extended warranty on your i3 I would keep it

It charges at 1.5c and rex is very handy

Can't see anything better coming out soon

Indeed the Rex is amazing, absolutely especially considering the charging infrastructure at this time.

• Advertisement

Indeed the Rex is amazing, absolutely especially considering the charging infrastructure at this time.

Have you it leased off BMW?

It's a pity VW decided to cap the charging power on their poor mans cars to 100 Kw for the basic battery and 125 Kw on their larger pack while retaining 150+ Kw for the wealthier folk. Seemingly VW are being "conservative" with charging power on the id.3

For the majority of people the ID.3 is aimed at they won’t care about charging speed

Even with the eGolf 2 I don’t charge every night and a huge percentage of owners have it capped at 80% to combat battery degradation

99% of my cars life is going to be charged at home.....I haven’t even set up IONITY yet and no idea where my charge cards are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

For the majority of people the ID.3 is aimed at they won’t care about charging speed

Even with the eGolf 2 I don’t charge every night and a huge percentage of owners have it capped at 80% to combat battery degradation

99% of my cars life is going to be charged at home.....I haven’t even set up IONITY yet and no idea where my charge cards are

Do you drive anywhere?

Have you it leased off BMW?

PCP whatever lol.

Yeah sure, the majority of charging is done at home but it's a bloody pain in the hole waiting to charge especially at busy chargers.

When you need to charge it would be nice to charge as fast as possible, and it's not nice when VW admit to keeping faster charging tech for the wealthier !

it's not nice when VW admit to keeping faster charging tech for the wealthier !

Another communist I encounter on this forum this evening :p

Bigger battery costs more money. If you have a bigger battery you can charge faster

Obviously VAG has not yet mastered to let their EVs safely charge at 3C, like Hyundai and Tesla have

Yeah sure, the majority of charging is done at home but it's a bloody pain in the hole waiting to charge especially at busy chargers.

When you need to charge it would be nice to charge as fast as possible, and it's not nice when VW admit to keeping faster charging tech for the wealthier !

So the new ID will do 300km...the EGolf 2 is even better than the v1 at higher speeds. So I would expect the ID to improve again

So let’s say you have the lovely Cork drive..280km.....really a 10-20 min top up and your sorted so 100kW should give you plenty in that time on way down/up....

Rest of the time on majority of people day to day the range is perfect

Some people will need more range and that’s why they will have bigger batteries but the majority will have plenty as is and will only require he odd IONITY top up

Another communist I encounter on this forum this evening :p

Bigger battery costs more money. If you have a bigger battery you can charge faster

Obviously VAG has not yet mastered to let their EVs safely charge at 3C, like Hyundai and Tesla have

Obviously they have if they say they're being conservative with charging power and they admitted keeping higher charging power for their more expensive cars.

A bigger battery as in more Kwh does not automatically allow faster charging, more Kwh of the same chemistry does.

A bigger battery as in more Kwh does not automatically allow faster charging, more Kwh of the same chemistry does.

Do you not think the 3 packs for the ID.3 have the same chemistry?

• Advertisement

Do you not think the 3 packs for the ID.3 have the same chemistry?

I'm sure they do buy I was making the point that larger Kwh doesn't automatically mean it can take more charging power.

But, you wouldn't know what alterations to the chemistry are to be honest.

Advertisement