Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Must admit, I like Lane follow or what ever it's called. Use it on both our cars, makes for very relaxed driving, even on national routes. Not much good on poorly marked roads, more of a nuisance.
    I am otherwise a bit of a Luddite, rarely using ACC and other aids (Except speed limit recognition)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

KCross wrote: »
    That is annoying and was one of the questions I had outstanding for the car.

Its basically LKAS (Lane keep assist), not LFA (Lane following). So, its as you describe, just a nudge of the steering to stop you going over the line. It doesnt keep you center of the lane.

I think you need the ID.3 Max to get the proper LFA as that includes "Travel Assist" which I think does more to keep you in lane.... will be interesting to hear some reviews of that.

Was interesting to see that it was one of the first things that Elon Musk asked Herbert Diess during his test drive of the ID.3...
    https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6708652868141907968

Not sure I'd agree with Mr Diess's response that it was "state of the art". I dont think Elon would be too impressed with it bouncing off the lines! :D

LFA is quite useful on motorways. Makes a long journey that bit more relaxed. Not a deal breaker for me though.

Got a call from my dealer. They are hoping we will have our car next week, not the 9th as previously mentioned.
    Offered me a test drive which I declined, preferring to wait till our one.....

I have to say that If I'm to get another car it must have decent lane keeping, I am tired of the commute on boring motorways so anything to ease this would be welcome, doesn't look the id3 or probably not even the id4 will do this.

Looks like Tesla is still the clear leader here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I have to say that If I'm to get another car it must have decent lane keeping, I am tired of the commute on boring motorways so anything to ease this would be welcome, doesn't look the id3 or probably not even the id4 will do this.

Looks like Tesla is still the clear leader here.

Sounds like you'd def need a car with the full on Traffic assist, would be interesting to see a proper evaluation, but you are going to be hard pressed to beat Tesla's system.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Upcoming Peugeot 2008 has "self steering"

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

liamog wrote: »
    Sounds like you'd def need a car with the full on Traffic assist, would be interesting to see a proper evaluation, but you are going to be hard pressed to beat Tesla's system.

Indeed, most if not all car manufacturers are lagging behind here.

I'm not a huge fan of the Model 3 but I suppose if I got a drive it might change my mind. I really need something to ease the pain of 710 - 750 kms a week and that's just for work.

Shame you still need a hand on the wheel even with Autopilot.

slave1 wrote: »
    Upcoming Peugeot 2008 has "self steering"

Compared to Autopilot ? Peugeot electrics are too slow, wouldn't be happy, the French just don't get we're past the days of needing low power to save fuel, electricity is cheap, the French just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

liamog wrote: »

I've watched the videos on the Tesla thread of the fella in Cork doing runs with autopilot. I've not driven the Model 3, but judging by the videos, it's very similar to the experience in the e-Niro.

I wouldn't trust the system to the level that he does, but that's just my risk tolerance. I put my hand on the wheel when the kerb comes close to the yellow line, just to be safe. I've done thousands of kms on full hands/feet free driving in the e-Niro. The car hasn't scared me even once.

I've watched the videos on the Tesla thread of the fella in Cork doing runs with autopilot. I've not driven the Model 3, but judging by the videos, it's very similar to the experience in the e-Niro.

I wouldn't trust the system to the level that he does, but that's just my risk tolerance. I put my hand on the wheel when the kerb comes close to the yellow line, just to be safe. I've done thousands of kms on full hands/feet free driving in the e-Niro. The car hasn't scared me even once.

The eNiro doesn't allow hands free driving ?

I tested it out in the E-Soul which is supposed to be more advanced, good but a bit frightful on bends at speed.

IF the model 3 wasn't so scary on bends I would prefer this, not that I want to go asleep at the wheel or anything but I want the car to be able to do the most of my commute as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pearsefitz

Had a test drive in the Plus today. Only 20 minutes and really enjoyed all aspects of it.
    As a current egolf owner i think someone said it was not as fast. I would disagree. Its different, you are driving a car for first time and the feel is different due to weight etc. It's not yours so I didn't rally it (for want of a better word). Also the push of rear wheel drive compared to pull of egolf different.
    Overall really happy and think it will be very nippy on empty roads. I had it in sports setting also. What was also good is that its the exact spec I have ordered. Looked great.

Dealer (FK liffey) valley said it will be 3 weeks for my id.3 pluss .... :( so end of Sept.

OK, follow-up and clarification from the dealer. The Max has the travel assist feature including LFA, but the 1st. Max can't be bought here at the moment, they just didn't bring them in due to lack of demand.

In October, the ordering system for the normal ID.3 goes live and Travel Assist should be available to stick on as an option, or part of a package.

Once the ordering system is in place, VW are aiming for January deliveries.

pearsefitz wrote: »
    As a current egolf owner i think someone said it was not as fast. I would disagree.

Yea, that really didnt make sense at all. Its supposed to be 2s faster than the eGolf.

I've seen vids of the eGolf (Battery life YT channel) and it was 9s+. Several vids of the ID.3 from journalists showing 7s so the spec match the vids.... 2s is a reasonable boost in performance.

The entry model, that you cant buy yet, will be 2s slower than the ID.3 1st so on a par with the eGolf.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jonnythefox

When did u order?

OK, follow-up and clarification from the dealer. The Max has the travel assist feature including LFA, but the 1st. Max can't be bought here at the moment, they just didn't bring them in due to lack of demand.

The brochure had something to that effect
    "ID.3 1st Max model variant production starts November 2020."

I dont know if its demand or just that VW Germany have not yet tooled up for it. Its in the brochure from the start, many months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

In October, the ordering system for the normal ID.3 goes live and Travel Assist should be available to stick on as an option, or part of a package.

Once the ordering system is in place, VW are aiming for January deliveries.

The Max was available to order, delivery date was later because VW were still fixing some of the features, notably the AR display.

Some countries got the Max earlier without the AR display, but Ireland decided to wait. I think there were something like 50 people looking at the Max as against 500 looking at the Plus during ordering, so makes sense they would focus on the Plus

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Had a test drive in the Plus today. Only 20 minutes and really enjoyed all aspects of it.
    As a current egolf owner i think someone said it was not as fast. I would disagree. Its different, you are driving a car for first time and the feel is different due to weight etc. It's not yours so I didn't rally it (for want of a better word). Also the push of rear wheel drive compared to pull of egolf different.
    Overall really happy and think it will be very nippy on empty roads. I had it in sports setting also. What was also good is that its the exact spec I have ordered. Looked great.

Dealer (FK liffey) valley said it will be 3 weeks for my id.3 pluss .... :( so end of Sept.

Will be worth the wait...:)
    My dealer keeps saying next week...(Even two weeks ago):pac:
    I guess they may all be available at the same time towards the end of the month.

Sorry, I exaggerated, he told me the 9th (2 Weeks ago.)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

eagerv wrote: »
    Will be worth the wait...:)
    My dealer keeps saying next week...(Even two weeks ago):pac:
    I guess they may all be available at the same time towards the end of the month.

Sorry, I exaggerated, he told me the 9th (2 Weeks ago.)

Mine told me it's a problem with capacity on ships.I think there's one due this week and then nothing for a couple of weeks. I pre-ordered hour one, day one back in May 2019 so I won't be impressed if I see one on the street before I get it,

The brochure had something to that effect
    "ID.3 1st Max model variant production starts November 2020."

I dont know if its demand or just that VW Germany have not yet tooled up for it. Its in the brochure from the start, many months ago.
    The Max was available to order, delivery date was later because VW were still fixing some of the features, notably the AR display.

Some countries got the Max earlier without the AR display, but Ireland decided to wait. I think there were something like 50 people looking at the Max as against 500 looking at the Plus during ordering, so makes sense they would focus on the Plus

Quite right and I stand corrected.

What he actually said was that the 1st. base and plus could be bought now, off the shelf, so to speak. There are no Max variants in Ireland, and won't be until near the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Mine told me it's a problem with capacity on ships.I think there's one due this week and then nothing for a couple of weeks. I pre-ordered hour one, day one back in May 2019 so I won't be impressed if I see one on the street before I get it,

I did exactly the same. First day, as soon as the ordering opened. My car is in the dealers and ready to go. The delay is with the computer systems switching to the 1.9% APR.
    So frustrating. VW Ireland are holding things up I think until Friday. The few that are out in the wild are training cars apparently going around the different dealers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

rx8 wrote: »
    I did exactly the same. First day, as soon as the ordering opened. My car is in the dealers and ready to go. The delay is with the computer systems switching to the 1.9% APR.
    So frustrating. VW Ireland are holding things up I think until Friday. The few that are out in the wild are training cars apparently going around the different dealers.

Mines registered and will be picking it up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Different dealer but I've been told the 21st, dealer hasn't their demo yet either.

Congrats.. You will be one of the first in Europe. According to a few videos VW in Germany will not be releasing cars till 11th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Who's your dealer?
    Which model is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Yea, that really didnt make sense at all. Its supposed to be 2s faster than the eGolf.

I've seen vids of the eGolf (Battery life YT channel) and it was 9s+. Several vids of the ID.3 from journalists showing 7s so the spec match the vids.... 2s is a reasonable boost in performance.

The entry model, that you cant buy yet, will be 2s slower than the ID.3 1st so on a par with the eGolf.

Its the torque

Its only got 310nm in the ID3, e-Golf has 290nm

Not surprised people dont notice the difference

The Koreans have 400nm in Kona, Soul, Niro

Kona for example will feel noticeably quicker with that torque

Telsa which all seem to have 600nm+ will feel like rocket ships in comparison

Strange the way VW put a 204bhp motor in and kept torque so low, 310nm is very low for a 204bhp motor

In the old days a 204bhp diesel would have 500nm

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Its the torque

Its only got 310nm in the ID3, e-Golf has 290nm

Not surprised people dont notice the difference

The Koreans have 400nm in Kona, Soul, Niro

Kona for example will feel noticeably quicker with that torque

Telsa which all seem to have 600nm+ will feel like rocket ships in comparison

Strange the way VW put a 204bhp motor in and kept torque so low, 310nm is very low for a 204bhp motor

In the old days a 204bhp diesel would have 500nm

I’m not mechanically trained so apologies if this is a stupid question but can the NM output be altered with an OTA update at some stage in the future. In other words, are VW “ playing it safe “ with the motor.

Irishjg wrote: »
    I’m not mechanically trained so apologies if this is a stupid question but can the NM output be altered with an OTA update at some stage in the future. In other words, are VW “ playing it safe “ with the motor.

Of course they can

Engineers probably feel 204bhp/310nm is the perfect driving style for its product

A sportier GT version might get a different 220bhp/440nm output profile with pinned back in your seat torque

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Of course they can

Engineers probably feel 204bhp/310nm is the perfect driving style for its product

A sportier GT version might get a different 220bhp/440nm output profile with pinned back in your seat torque

Or a chargeable upgrade like Tesla

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

Why would you limit the torque? Does it help wrt to battery ageing or range?

• Advertisement

Or a chargeable upgrade like Tesla

Yep

Always an option

Advertisement