Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

drumm23 wrote: »
    Why would you limit the torque? Does it help wrt to battery ageing or range?

Probably would in the long term, and it’s a nice trick for VW To charge extra for more poke to someone who wants it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Its the torque

Its only got 310nm in the ID3, e-Golf has 290nm

Not surprised people dont notice the difference

Torque or not, its 2s difference from 0-100.
    Its the time that ultimately matters, if 0-100 is your bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Agent_47

this lunatic ID3 passed me out on the motobike today, Volkswagen ID.3 PRO 150 KW ID. 3 1ST Plus 5DR Auto, Between M1 and Collon and after Collon it just just took off.Never saw it again until Slane.

Some power but looks like a Polo from the outside. What battery and what cost is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

KCross wrote: »
    Torque or not, its 2s difference from 0-100.
    Its the time that ultimately matters, if 0-100 is your bag.

Perception

Torque gives the sensation of speed, many wouldn't notice 2s

An 8 second 170bhp, 400nm diesel Polo will feel as fast as a 6 second 220bhp, 200nm Honda Type R to most people

e-Golf is 1540kg, ID3 58kWh 1720kg

Makes a difference to perception as well

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

pearsefitz wrote: »
    Had a test drive in the Plus today. Only 20 minutes and really enjoyed all aspects of it.
    As a current egolf owner i think someone said it was not as fast. I would disagree. Its different, you are driving a car for first time and the feel is different due to weight etc. It's not yours so I didn't rally it (for want of a better word). Also the push of rear wheel drive compared to pull of egolf different.
    Overall really happy and think it will be very nippy on empty roads. I had it in sports setting also. What was also good is that its the exact spec I have ordered. Looked great.

Dealer (FK liffey) valley said it will be 3 weeks for my id.3 pluss .... :( so end of Sept.

Do you mind me asking what year was your eGolf and what kind of deal we’re the offering? PM if you prefer. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pearsefitz

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what year was your eGolf and what kind of deal we’re the offering? PM if you prefer. Thanks.
    2018(2)
    And trade in getting 22.5k

In relation to the test drive. All i was saying is its nippy but until you are familiar with a car and on empty m50 or something you can not really floor it. And especially midday on busy roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Perception

An 8 second 170bhp, 400nm diesel Polo will feel as fast as a 6 second 220bhp, 200nm Honda Type R to most people

You mean like a boy racer with loadsa noise out the back but going nowhere!! :)

I’d rather have the faster time!

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

Well I had drive test also today - plus model. Comparing to egolf - egolf maybe felt fast ish until 50-60kmh after that it is all id3. Also 80-120 no comparison.
    Very nice inside and out. Much nicer than preproduction model i have seen in November. Seats comfortable and drive very quiet. Much nicer drive than my diesel for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

kris_2021 wrote: »
    Well I had drive test also today - plus model. Comparing to egolf - egolf maybe felt fast ish until 50-60kmh after that it is all id3. Also 80-120 no comparison.
    Very nice inside and out. Much nicer than preproduction model i have seen in November. Seats comfortable and drive very quiet. Much nicer drive than my diesel for sure!

How roomy is ? Does it fee as roomy as a Golf inside or bigger? Also is the boot a good shape - haven’t seen a pic of one

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pearsefitz

Casati wrote: »
    How roomy is ? Does it fee as roomy as a Golf inside or bigger? Also is the boot a good shape - haven’t seen a pic of one

Defo more roomy. I did a look around when i pulled up and immediately was back into my egolf. More roomy but a clean empty car also does that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

I have to say that If I'm to get another car it must have decent lane keeping, I am tired of the commute on boring motorways so anything to ease this would be welcome, doesn't look the id3 or probably not even the id4 will do this.
    Enyaq has it (at a cost like everything!) so I'd assume ID4 will have it...

Its the torque

Its only got 310nm in the ID3, e-Golf has 290nm

Not surprised people dont notice the difference

The Koreans have 400nm in Kona, Soul, Niro

Kona for example will feel noticeably quicker with that torque

Telsa which all seem to have 600nm+ will feel like rocket ships in comparison

Strange the way VW put a 204bhp motor in and kept torque so low, 310nm is very low for a 204bhp motor

In the old days a 204bhp diesel would have 500nm

Depends on the weight and the gearing + the motor Kv rating, not to be confused with kilowatt.

+ the motor controller software comes into play.

BMW's new generation motor for their ix1 seems to provide impressive 80-120 Km/hr for the power.

We all know electric motors produce good torque from low revs/speed but this doesn't matter so much now because electric cars have proved that they are not slow but most lack power at the mid and top end and for real life driving 80-120 is just as important as 0-100.

So after all that I can't wait to test it myself on Saturday, hopefully I can get it from Sheehy Motors in Carlow to the M9 and a few back roads, hopefully I get it for around 1 hr. Not too interested in efficiency testing.

McGiver wrote: »
    Enyaq has it (at a cost like everything!) so I'd assume ID4 will have it...

As good as Autopilot though ?

Casati wrote: »

Lots of room. See behind my seating position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Here's one of the boot from Frankfurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Bob Flavin said on his YouTube show yesterday that they had a surplus supply of iD3 in Ireland. Great situation with the factories running at low output.

Couple of pics from my test drive. I am getting standard 1st one - hopefully will not be much worse then plus I drove today.

Couple of pics from my test drive. I am getting standard 1st one - hopefully will not be much worse then plus I drove today.

Couple more pics

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

BBMcQ wrote: »
    Bob Flavin said on his YouTube show yesterday that they had a surplus supply of iD3 in Ireland. Great situation with the factories running at low output.

There were a lot of people placing €1,000 into the pot, followed by lots of people refunding due to the very high rumoured prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I’m new to the thread here and I’ve read the last few pages with interest...

Couple of quick questions:

- “the first edition” - how long is this Edition expected to run for? Months? And will spec / prices likely be very different after that?

- the “ID Plan”. This is just PCP, with smaller deposit and higher GMFV right? Has anyone got typical figures on one with say a 10% deposit? A 10% deposit is a palatable ~4K on a plus model but how do the monthlies look ?

- what’s the charging time like if you’re just plugging it into the mains at home with a 3 pin plug? It’s probably advisable to install a proper charge point ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I’m new to the thread here and I’ve read the last few pages with interest...

Couple of quick questions:

- “the first edition” - how long is this Edition expected to run for? Months? And will spec / prices likely be very different after that?

- the “ID Plan”. This is just PCP, with smaller deposit and higher GMFV right? Has anyone got typical figures on one with say a 10% deposit? A 10% deposit is a palatable ~4K on a plus model but how do the monthlies look ?

- what’s the charging time like if you’re just plugging it into the mains at home with a 3 pin plug? It’s probably advisable to install a proper charge point ?

First edition is done, by end of September. I'd plan is a pcp plan. long time

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

First edition will keep running until all cars VW Ireland ordered are sold. UK rumours are that normal orders and pricing will start October 1st.

Yes, though the main idea with the ID plan was to put 0% deposit down so you only have to worry about the monthlies, the idea is to treat the car like a subscription and just hand it back at the end of 3 years.
    Get a home charger, the battery will take around 30h to charge on the 3 pin plug. A proper 32A home charger will manage in around 9hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Perception

To be fair 0-60 2 seconds is a lifetime

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Couple more pics

Great pics, thanks.

Hard to see, but can you remember if there is a rest for your left foot?

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Boot looks unimpressive, and please tell me those cables are only there for convenience, and that this purpose built EV has a designated place to store charging cables!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

There is more storage under the boot floor.
    There is a footrest on the left.

rx8 wrote: »

Boot is 5l bigger than golf's one and golf is pretty much gold standard in small hatchback family cars category.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

And idea of delivery times yet folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

rx8 wrote: »

I remember the boot being quite small at Weston. They seem to have dropped the level right down to the floor to increase space.

There is a small bit of storage under a flap in the floor, just enough for the cables... which means that you would have to empty most of the boot to get at them. This might not be too bad if it's just a couple of suitcases or a buggy, but if you have a load of shopping it would be awkward. On a well packed holiday run, the charging cables would need to be left out of the under boot storage.

There is absolutely no chance of cable storage under the bonnet. It's packed to the lid with equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I remember the boot being quite small at Weston. They seem to have dropped the level right down to the floor to increase space.

There is a small bit of storage under a flap in the floor, just enough for the cables... which means that you would have to empty most of the boot to get at them. This might not be too bad if it's just a couple of suitcases or a buggy, but if you have a load of shopping it would be awkward. On a well packed holiday run, the charging cables would need to be left out of the under boot storage.

There is absolutely no chance of cable storage under the bonnet. It's packed to the lid with equipment.

Frustrating. UX dropped the ball there.

Advertisement