Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

There’s a button to switch between front and rear

Weird - haven’t seen this implanted on any other car? Seems fairly annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

I suppose but a reg is fairly public in fairness.

I see that you also got a mention on Facebook. Check out the comments.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/514077975814912/permalink/734245913798116/

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

rx8 wrote: »
    I see that you also got a mention on Facebook. Check out the comments.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/514077975814912/permalink/734245913798116/

Ha, the dealer, MD and all have a picture with it up since this afternoon as their 1st “sold and delivered”. I was told the cars are being delivered as the become available to customers all week. I think he said they had 9 going out this week and before Friday.

Ha, the dealer, MD and all have a picture with it up since this afternoon as their 1st “sold and delivered”. I was told the cars are being delivered as the become available to customers all week. I think he said they had 9 going out this week and before Friday.

I'm collecting mine tomorrow afternoon. VW head-office better get with the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Are the new id plan and pcp finance rates live on their system for the plus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭st332

Why is the ID.3 in tax band A1 (according to the pdf product guide on volkswagen.ie)?
    If it's a pure electric car, should it not be in band A0?

Just realised that VRT Tax Band =/= Motor Tax Band!

I've been looking at this id.3 vs Model 3 SR+ again, now no offence intended to those who have purchased, I wish ye all the best and many kms happy EV RWD motoring! :-) not my intention to offend just my observations and opinions only.

I got to say that what you get in the id.3 Max for 52,500 compared to the M3 is pretty poor.

The M3 has Autopilot as standard, the ID.3 only has a ding and a dong and a push of the wheel to try bounce you back from the white line.

The M3 has much faster acceleration.

The M3 can charge faster on DC.

The M3 has Leather.

The M3 has option for full self driving which I wouldn't pay for now but it's getting better, I think it will start and stop now as it has traffic light recognition.

You have to go to the max in the id.3 to get VW's Traffic assist which I believe is decent on the open road at keeping in lane but I don't think it will get upgrades like Autopilot.

They will probably have roughly the same range, Bjorn tested the m3 SR+ as having 300 Km range at 120 Km/hr good weather.

I have to say I'm really struggling to see why someone would pay 52.5K for a id.3, even the mid spec id.3 is only around 4k off the Model 3 SR+.

I know there are people who like the interior of the id.3, there maybe a VW dealer close by etc and I get all that, but I personally don't see much of an advantage of an id.3 over a Model 3.

I guess I'd be aiming for the mid spec id.3 which is expensive and doesn't even have leather even at a cost of 52.5K.

Are the new id plan and pcp finance rates live on their system for the plus?

Yeah, Rates were on the system yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Shango

Getting mine tomorrow too! Still not decided on the first mover options, whats the consensus here, I like the three payments payed by VW.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Shango wrote: »
    Getting mine tomorrow too! Still not decided on the first mover options, whats the consensus here, I like the three payments payed by VW.

3 payments is my choice. But the info on the details how itll be organised are non existent. Maybe someone who already collected the car on finance could share their experience?

• Advertisement

I've been looking at this id.3 vs Model S SR+ again, now no offence intended to those who have purchased, I wish ye all the best and many kms happy EV RWD motoring! :-) not my intention to offend just my observations and opinions only.

I got to say that what you get in the id.3 Max for 52,500 compared to the M3 is pretty poor.

The M3 has Autopilot as standard, the ID.3 only has a ding and a dong and a push of the wheel to try bounce you back from the white line.

Its a fair argument, I dont get this leather obsession tho, surely part of the reason your buying it is so your not pumping out damage to the environment, also isn't the leather in the m3 synthetic (vegan), so not leather in traditional sense? I think from driving the m3 for a few weeks the performance is great, but the novelty wears off really quick, my wife was sick of her head bopping forward and back given there is no noise to warn the body to brace, i ended up rarely using the power and driving 'normal', but each to their own! The front end looking like a micro machine beach buggy also bugged me, u
    but some love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TonyB466

Can you share the finance details,

30% down, Monthly PCP repayment etc.

Nothing on VW Website only 1.9%APR.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I have to say I'm really struggling to see why someone would pay 52.5K for a id.3, even the mid spec id.3 is only around 4k off the Model 3 SR+.

I guess I'd be aiming for the mid spec id.3 which is expensive and doesn't even have leather even at a cost of 52.5K.

Top of the range ID.3 1st is €47,410 vs €46,782 for entry level Tesla Model 3.
    A lot of the rest is subjective, personally I think the Model 3 looks like a frog, and the ID.3 like a derpy dragon. I think most people are excited by the ID.3 1st and Plus. The 1st offers great value at €33,715 compared to most other EVs on the market here.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Its a fair argument, I dont get this leather obsession tho, surely part of the reason your buying it is so your not pumping out damage to the environment, also isn't the leather in the m3 synthetic (vegan), so not leather in traditional sense? I think from driving the m3 for a few weeks the performance is great, but the novelty wears off really quick, my wife was sick of her head bopping forward and back given there is no noise to warn the body to brace, i ended up rarely using the power and driving 'normal', but each to their own! The front end looking like a micro machine beach buggy also bugged me, u
    but some love it.

The obsession with leather (cow or vegan) is that it’s comfier, more premium feeling and if you have kids or dirty people in your car, a quick wipe with a damp towel will get you 99% to a clean seat. Nothing gets chocolate out of a cloth seat without a huge amount of elbow grease

The obsession with leather (cow or vegan) is that it’s comfier, more premium feeling and if you have kids or dirty people in your car, a quick wipe with a damp towel will get you 99% to a clean seat. Nothing gets chocolate out of a cloth seat without a huge amount of elbow grease

I understand the function, I just dont get these people going for EVs that want to coat it in animal leather....i cant see the two going hand in hand going forward. Its time to change mindsets, there are plenty of fabric protection products not half as damaging as leather

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I understand the function, I just dont get these people going for EVs that want to coat it in animal leather....i cant see the two going hand in hand going forward. Its time to change mindsets, there are plenty of fabric protection products not half as damaging as leather

There’s plenty of reasons to go ev that aren’t environment focused. Tesla have shown leather can be done vegan so it would be nice to have the option. If I’m buying a car that’s the guts of €40k and it doesn’t have the option of leather that even Dacia’s have then I’m being ripped off.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I drive EV's because they are cheaper to run and have a really good driving feel. Their green credentials isn't on my list.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I didn't really care about the 'leather' in the Model 3 when we were ordering/buying. It had no bearing whatsoever on the decision to buy.

We went from a 3 series saloon (with fabric seats) to the Model 3, as they were similar in size and we didn't want to get anything smaller. Model 3 actually feels bigger & roomier and has much more storage (I drove the 3 Series this morning for the first time in months, and the car/driver seat feels so cramped).

With a 5yo, the 'leather' seats are absolutely brilliant, and so easy to keep clean (delighted there wasn't a cheaper fabric option, as we'd probably have went for it!!).

As for the constant bopping of heads back and forward, we don't have that at all (maybe we did in the first few days), we just drive it normally and smoothly (though it's nice knowing you have insane power there if you need it, even in an SR+).

After 6 months and 12,000km, the novelty certainly hasn't worn off. It's just a brilliant car to drive.

Anyway, this is the ID.3 thread, so enough about the Model 3. I'm looking forward to seeing lots of these on the road in the coming weeks.
    (And I hope a good few of you are replacing an ICE with an EV)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There's no leather in a model 3 it's vinyl, I'd say it's more got to do with cost saving than Elon trying to save the environment.

I'm not getting an EV as i'm a wokie trying to save the world, definitely would like a leather option. Not even buying it because it's precieved as greener, it's a lot cheaper than a new gti, it's got a bit of poke, it's cheap to run and the 0 bik is a huge incentive, nothing to do with virtue signalling in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

There's no leather in a model 3 it's vinyl, I'd say it's more got to do with cost saving than Elon trying to save the environment.

I'm not getting an EV as i'm a wokie trying to save the world, definitely would like a leather option. Not even buying it because it's precieved as greener, it's a lot cheaper than a new gti, it's got a bit of poke, it's cheap to run and the 0 bik is a huge incentive, nothing to do with virtue signalling in the slightest.

any idea what a retrim would cost, probably prohibitive but it would elevate the interior imo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I

The M3 can charge faster on DC.

Don't know what happened my original post...??

I think you are being modest here, the Model 3 will destroy charging time on eCars High Power units, even moreso on Ionity and then there's the exclusive access to both the Tesla Supercharger network where it will not have to queue/super dependability/knowledge of stalls in use in advance/always reasonable rates, and not forgetting Tesla exclusive Destination Chargers.

Oh, and to add to your list, the Model 3 will require no annual servicing and this will not impact it's warranty

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Cyrus wrote: »
    any idea what a retrim would cost, probably prohibitive but it would elevate the interior imo.

Personally, I find leather or vinyl a big turn off. It makes my skin crawl and your always a careless toss of something with a corner away from a big scratch.

I can't give myself the acceleration, because I'm a hyper-competitive maniac, otherwise I'd be waiting for polestar 2, which looks really nice, not keen on looks of my the y is nicer though.

I guess we can all agree that choice is a good thing and each to their own. There was a time when it was early leaf or nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Cyrus wrote: »

For leather I'd say your looking at 2k there's a company in Dublin does it for a good few dealers.
    I find the cloth ok after having it in the golf, the autoglym spray on shampoo does a good job for cleaning. Gti seats look a lot tougher material though easy clean.
    It's usually mammys car I let them make a mess of though..

There’s plenty of reasons to go ev that aren’t environment focused. Tesla have shown leather can be done vegan so it would be nice to have the option. If I’m buying a car that’s the guts of €40k and it doesn’t have the option of leather that even Dacia’s have then I’m being ripped off.

Yeh Id agree with the Vegan leather option, wonder how much more it would have been for VW to offer this polyurethane. It keeps the leather lovers happy but also matches a vision. Interesting to hear most ppl don't care about the environmental impact, makes sense given the world we were brought up in. Im not a tree hugger, but id like to drive the ID3 and smell my own farts with glee...

but some love it.

You got some good points there, it's not a major looker, I'll grant you that but my Personal opinion to that is that I spend more time in the car rather than outside looking at it, I don't park it outside the conservatory at home looking at the car all the time I'm at home. My Gen I leaf was pig ugly and not everyone like the i3 either, I actually think it looks ok, inside is rather nice I have to say, it was a high spec i3.

I'm not sure on the Leather vs environment, I personally couldn't care less about Cows being killed either to give me a nice steak or a nice place to put my ass, I do care about their treatment when they're alive and to be honest I don't think Irish cows have a bad life. Environmentally the only real damage done to Irish landscape or our environment is that all our forest is gone a long time and most of the land is used for farming but I can't change this by eating or not eating a lovely steak dinner or a nice burger.

But either way, to me personally, the seats in the M3 look a lot better even if they are a synthetic material.

Regarding your Wife's head bopping forward and back, I don't know what you mean ? the torque form braking and acceleration ?

One of the main attractions to me is the cost and the Autopilot and the option of FSD when it improves enough but also the benefit of constant software updates. I don't know if the id.3 will receive much more than infotainment and sat nav OTA updates.

Charging is another big plus the M3 has.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Personally, I find leather or vinyl a big turn off. It makes my skin crawl and your always a careless toss of something with a corner away from a big scratch.

I can't give myself the acceleration, because I'm a hyper-competitive maniac, otherwise I'd be waiting for polestar 2, which looks really nice, not keen on looks of my the y is nicer though.

I guess we can all agree that choice is a good thing and each to their own. There was a time when it was early leaf or nothing.

every car ive had bar an audi a5 which had half alcantara has had a leather interior and never once have i scratched it.

i like a nice alcantara seat and i dont hate the gti tartan seats but as others have said for kids leather is the best choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

34k for 1st ID3 vs 48k for base M3. i know which i want and ordered. (ID3 of course)

there are completely different class of cars and everyone needs to decide for themselves.

Yeh Id agree with the Vegan leather option, wonder how much more it would have been for VW to offer this polyurethane. It keeps the leather lovers happy but also matches a vision. Interesting to hear most ppl don't care about the environmental impact, makes sense given the world we were brought up in. Im not a tree hugger, but id like to drive the ID3 and smell my own farts with glee...

I care a lot more about the plastic in out ditches and the black sacks full of rubbish the hedge cutters are going to scatter all over the back roads now that they're starting to cut them, every time my OH's German Parents come over I have to hear about how filthy Ireland is and they are correct, I am mortified any time her Parents or Friends, relatives etc come over because every time they come over there is black sacks full of rubbish scattered around or a take-a-way rubbish fired out of car windows or just plastic waste in general littered all along the roads the length and breath of the Island.

I care that 2 out of 3 fish tested in the ocean have traces of plastic, all way more serious topics than Cow farts.

So in the grand scheme of things a nice Burger or steak and a nice leather seat doesn't seem so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

One of the main attractions to me is the cost and the Autopilot and the option of FSD when it improves enough but also the benefit of constant software updates. I don't know if the id.3 will receive much more than infotainment and sat nav OTA updates.

Correct, VW are on record(during the launch event last year) as saying that the ID.3 (and probably the entire MEB platform actually) wont have FSD now or in the future except for the current level 2 stuff (AEB, ACC etc). A new platform will be required for that and hence many years away.

No amount of OTA updates can give it FSD when it doesnt have the underlying hardware to support it (cameras, lasers, etc)

Having said that, a new Model 3 that you buy today is unlikely to have FSD in your 3-5 years of ownership either so I dont think you should make that part of your purchase decision.... even if it did come, would you be paying €7k+ for it!!

Fair enough on the autopilot bit. ID.3 is poor in its lane keeping as standard. We need to see reviews of VW's "Travel Assist" to see if that is any better. It will be another few months before we see those.

I think I can write your ID.3 review for you from your test drive on Saturday, because I think you have your mind made up about the ID.3 already! ;)

• Advertisement

kris_2021 wrote: »
    34k for 1st ID3 vs 48k for base M3. i know which i want and ordered. (ID3 of course)

there are completely different class of cars and everyone needs to decide for themselves.

You are right of course cost must be a factor, I do think there is essential kit missing though and a jump to 44.5 K for a little extra is a lot and at that price you don't even get traffic assist, it's not even an option on the lower specs.

I think for me at this point in time with the years I'm commuting long distance I am looking for better driving assistance and the AP with OTA updates with the option of self driving ( if you want to call it that ) is really appealing to the long distance motorway commuter.

The faster charging capability helps a lot too with less Kwh, I think I could live with 50 Kw and such fast charging provided, we need a lot more 150 Kw+ chargers. It's funny that the ESB are only looking at 150 Kw and not more to future proof the network.

Advertisement