Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm going to arrange a test drive for this weekend.

Would anyone have an idea what I could expect to get as a trade in against the ID3 for a 2014 1.2L petrol Golf with 115,000KMs on the clock?

KCross wrote: »
    Correct, VW are on record(during the launch event last year) as saying that the ID.3 (and probably the entire MEB platform actually) wont have FSD now or in the future except for the current level 2 stuff (AEB, ACC etc). A new platform will be required for that and hence many years away.

No amount of OTA updates can give it FSD when it doesnt have the underlying hardware to support it (cameras, lasers, etc)

Having said that, a new Model 3 that you buy today is unlikely to have FSD in your 3-5 years of ownership either so I dont think you should make that part of your purchase decision.... even if it did come, would you be paying €7k+ for it!!

Fair enough on the autopilot bit. ID.3 is poor in its lane keeping as standard. We need to see reviews of VW's "Travel Assist" to see if that is any better. It will be another few months before we see those.

I think I can write your ID.3 review for you from your test drive on Saturday, because I think you have your mind made up about the ID.3 already! ;)

I think if real self driving comes then it will be more expensive than 7 K, would I pay for it ? hard to say, I think the current Auto Pilot is good enough for all my motorway kms, Keep in the lane etc, FSD changes lanes and all that but you have to hit the indicator etc, it now recognises traffic lights which is cool and I saw a youtube video of a chap in the U.K testing out FSD and it managed to exit a motorway, go through a roundabout and take another motorway onramp and merge successfully, this is amazing and that was a while ago and it mostly improves with every update.

Travel assist is good, I saw a video of it in a Passat I think it was, is it Tesla good, I'm not so sure, no OTA updates though and I wouldn't pay 52.5K to have it in the max trim in the id.3 that's for sure.

M3 positives,

Auto Pilot

Option to add FSD

OTA AP updates.

Much faster charging on DC

A lot faster.

I guess I'm comparing it to a Mid spec ID.3 which is what I would be aiming for but not really if it has no travel assist at this price.

I'm open minded regarding the test drive. I'm sure the car will be good to drive, RWD and all that. I won't be testing charging or efficiency. That's if they get back to me to arrange the test drive, no word yet on a time or anything, they just called me last week said that they'd call me this week to arrange it for Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'm going to arrange a test drive for this weekend.

Would anyone have an idea what I could expect to get as a trade in against the ID3 for a 2014 1.2L petrol Golf with 115,000KMs on the clock?

Not a lot, I was offered 9250 for a 1.2tsi dsg 151 polo with 41600km.

Not a lot, I was offered 9250 for a 1.2tsi dsg 151 polo with 41600km.

I'd be happy enough with something around €8000 I think.

Might not have been much difference in price between our cars new.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I think if real self driving comes then it will be more expensive than 7 K, would I pay for it ? hard to say, I think the current Auto Pilot is good enough for all my motorway kms, Keep in the lane etc,

ACC and LFA is all you need really.
    The rest (lane changes, ramps etc) I wouldnt trust, particularly in this country with our poor road markings and mad junctions. Might be fine on a US highway.
    FSD changes lanes and all that but you have to hit the indicator etc, it now recognises traffic lights which is cool and I saw a youtube video of a chap in the U.K testing out FSD and it managed to exit a motorway, go through a roundabout and take another motorway onramp and merge successfully, this is amazing and that was a while ago and it mostly improves with every update.

I'd rather drive the car myself to be honest. I certainly wouldnt pay €7k for that feature. What % of your total driving time would that come into play above what ACC/LFA would give you?

I still think FSD shouldnt be on your list of considerations since you change your car every 3 years or so anyway. Your decision of course.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'd be happy enough with something around €8000 I think.

Might not have been much difference in price between our cars new.

I sold it to a private buyer at 9750 yesterday;)

I sold it to a private buyer at 9750 yesterday;)

Couldn't be arsed dealing with Joe Public.

Cars in good condition bar a small tear on the driver seat and one of the plastic trim pieces popping out if you slam the door.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The rest (lane changes, ramps etc) I wouldnt trust, particularly in this country with our poor road markings and mad junctions. Might be fine on a US highway.

My own experience of driving in the US is that our Motorways and Interurbans are of much higher quality than US roads, much better road markings. We may not have the full free flow junctions, but the bits in between are better.

liamog wrote: »
    My own experience of driving in the US is that our Motorways and Interurbans are of much higher quality than US roads, much better road markings. We may not have the full free flow junctions, but the bits in between are better.

The bits in between, yes, but you dont need FSD for that bit.... ACC/LFA will do fine there.

FSD is mainly for the bits at each end. Lane changing on the motorway is a minor thing really and its just the price of it.

I’m working from home at the minute, but here’s one form my window. I’ll put some more up later.

Which charging cables did you get?

• Advertisement

Which charging cables did you get?

The one I looked at yesterday at the dealer had a granny cable and a 3ph 16A cable. It was a 1st plus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

3P 16A, please correct me and say that won't be limited to 16amp at normal home charger :eek:

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

That answers your tyre question @eagerv.... Goodyear
    eagerv wrote: »
    I see some of the other entry 1st have Bridgestone Turanza tyres.
    A few dealers now have pics up on Carzone. They all seem good tyres anyway.
    perhaps Goodyear a little better in the wet according to specs.

Looked at a 1st Plus yesterday and it had Conti's.

So, I guess they are using multiple suppliers... classic bargaining chip I guess to get the price down.
    eagerv wrote: »
    Can I ask a question to anyone who has driven one:
    When you drive the car in "D" is there any regen?

I found the regen to be only OK in both D and B. Certainly not strong or anywhere close to one pedal driving but its fine.

I'm more interested in comfort/seats/charge-speed etc.

slave1 wrote: »
    3P 16A, please correct me and say that won't be limited to 16amp at normal home charger :eek:

Yes, 16A on a home charger IF you use that cable.

If you have a tethered charger it wont matter.

Well that will be a shock to a lot of folk

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Shango

So who is organising the first socially distanced ID3 driveout!? Obvious endpoint is moneypoint? You guys setting up an irish owners site or prob use uk one?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It will limit to 16A at a home charger, you're correct I'm afraid

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I'd rather drive the car myself to be honest. I certainly wouldnt pay €7k for that feature. What % of your total driving time would that come into play above what ACC/LFA would give you?

I still think FSD shouldnt be on your list of considerations since you change your car every 3 years or so anyway. Your decision of course.

It's my understanding that the basic Autopilot is better than the Korean system especially on bends + AP is upgradable by OTA updates.

You're correct, Probably wouldn't/shouldn't spend the money on FSD especially in it's current form.

I found the regen to be only OK in both D and B. Certainly not strong or anywhere close to one pedal driving but its fine.

There's apparently a feature in the infotainment called eco-assist which will adjust the regen in D mode based on the distance to the car in front

Well that will be a shock to a lot of folk

It will.

Lots of people have complained though and VW Ireland are looking at it with a view to providing a 3ph 32A cable... the outstanding question is whether/what extra they will charge for it.... coming off the boat they will have the 3ph 16A cable though.

Its the right choice for continental europe, just the wrong choice for UK/Ireland where 3ph domestic is rare and I'd say VW Ireland didnt cop it when they ordered the cars many months ago.

• Advertisement

It's my understanding that the basic Autopilot is better than the Korean system especially on bends + AP is upgradable by OTA updates.

You're correct, Probably wouldn't/shouldn't spend the money on FSD especially in it's current form.

I definitely wouldn't waste the money on FSD especially since the license is to your car purchase and not the car. If you sell an M3 with FSD, then the next owner will get FSD deactivated by Tesla.

So you can't sell the car for more because it's got FSD installed, you can only sell it for the same as a stock M3 and you lost €7k.

Now what I don't know is if you're going to another Tesla does the FSD license follow you, at least then you're not out €7k if you stick with Tesla

I don't think for the majority of People that 3.5 Kw is a major deal. I'm still on 3.5 Kw with the i3 94 Ah driving 141-155 Kms daily and it works fine over a nights charge.

Realistically I can't see for the majority of People needing more because the car can always be plugged in at 40 or 50% charge and at that, it has plenty of range that most People probably won't want more than a 50% charge daily either and the battery would be delighted with that too.

Unless I came home from work and needed to go back out again quickly then even 7 kw isn't going to have a huge impact, 11 Kw on the other hand is quite good and will be appreciated at AC points.

I think 3 phase should now be considered in new developments and considered the new norm in the coming years.

I definitely wouldn't waste the money on FSD especially since the license is to your car purchase and not the car. If you sell an M3 with FSD, then the next owner will get FSD deactivated by Tesla.

So you can't sell the car for more because it's got FSD installed, you can only sell it for the same as a stock M3 and you lost €7k.

Now what I don't know is if you're going to another Tesla does the FSD license follow you, at least then you're not out €7k if you stick with Tesla

Yeah that's a pain in the ass, but extras are not worth a huge amount 2nd hand anyway, they mainly make the car more desirable.

No you're right, I probably wouldn't spend that money and to be honest I am probably mad thinking about paying 40-47K on a new car anyway driving now 45-50K Kms a year, I really should keep the i3 another year or two and wait for a M3 LR Performance lol, just don't know what to do really, still got the 15K to pay off regardless so might refinance to save cash but that's 15 K to put to something newer lol, it never ends........

Yes, 16A on a home charger IF you use that cable.

If you have a tethered charger it wont matter.

Yeah, I got 32A tethered wallbox at home.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I don't think for the majority of People that 3.5 Kw is a major deal. I'm still on 3.5 Kw with the i3 94 Ah driving 141-155 Kms daily and it works fine over a nights charge.

It's interesting, the 3.68kW you lose at home by having a 16A 3-Phase cable, is the same 3.68kW you gain and lots of people feel is useful by a have a car capable of 3-Phase charging.

The only negative I see from only charging at 1x16A at home is that it's going to take 2 nights of charging at night rate to fully refill the battery after a long trip, perception wise it's not great.

Ah it's poor form, for the incremental cost in such a high investment it's a no brainer for all RHD vehicles (predominately UK/IRL)

It's interesting, the 3.68kW you lose at home by having a 16A 3-Phase cable, is the same 3.68kW you gain and lots of people feel is useful by a have a car capable of 3-Phase charging.

Have to admit I lost you there, try again ? maybe it's coffee time.
    The only negative I see from only charging at 1x16A at home is that it's going to take 2 nights of charging at night rate to fully refill the battery after a long trip, perception wise it's not great.

3 Kw x 9 hrs of night rate = 27 Kwh worth of juice, can't see too many people needing this per day, yes, if they have a 64 Kwh Kona etc this will take a long time however, this 27 Kwh will still provide them with decent range daily and in fact could be 2-3 days worth for a lot of People.

If you need to charge after a longer trip then yes it will take 20 hrs if you need 60 kwh, however, I can't see most people needing a full 60 Kwh the next day, in this case 7 Kw would indeed be beneficial but as I said I can drive to work and back daily and 3.5 Kw is fine, If I had more inefficient model S driving at 120 Km/hr then I might also benefit by having 7 Kw.

On the road on longer trips 11 Kw is very useful as I know myself, means less reliance on the need to stop and wait for DC charges or greatly lessens the need to DC charge.

Have to admit I lost you there, try again ? maybe it's coffee time.

Standard on a lot of cars now is the 7.2kW on board charger, with an optional upgrade to the three phase 11kW charger.
    There are a few people who swear by the 11kW on board charger as they think it's really useful for public AC charging, it's only 3.6kW over the standard model.
    At the same time we're saying it's probably ok to only have 3.6kW at home with the borked cable.

My main requirement is to fit a full charge in the 10 hour night rate window, that's based on my preference of plugging in the car less times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Looked at a 1st Plus yesterday and it had Conti's.

So, I guess they are using multiple suppliers... classic bargaining chip I guess to get the price down.

I'm more interested in comfort/seats/charge-speed etc.

Yes the tyres seem to be various, at least they they are all good ones.

Concerning regen, I only want zero and a lowish level (Enough so the car doesn't speed up when descending a long hill). Still not sure if the ID.3 has zero. I don't like 1 pedal driving, preferring the brake pedal regen when having to stop. In our Ioniq I only ever use 0 or 1.

Just what I am used to...

• Advertisement

Standard on a lot of cars now is the 7.2kW on board charger, with an optional upgrade to the three phase 11kW charger.
    There are a few people who swear by the 11kW on board charger as they think it's really useful for public AC charging, it's only 3.6kW over the standard model.
    At the same time we're saying it's probably ok to only have 3.6kW at home with the borked cable.

My main requirement is to fit a full charge in the 10 hour night rate window, that's based on my preference of plugging in the car less times a week.

It's whatever suits you is what matters and I'm not trying to convince you otherwise but someone might not want to spend more money, possibly hundreds extra to change at 7 Kw at home when in reality 3.5 Kw if they already have 3.5 Kw might suit them fine except for a couple of occasions and at that, if they rin into peak rate electricity for a couple of hrs it's no big deal.

If someone is buying a new home charge point then I would get the 7 Kw charge point with tethered cable, problem solved.

Regarding 7 Kw vs 11, yes it does make a difference, 11 Kw is more efficient so you loose less so it's more than 3.5 Kw closer to 4 Kw per hr.

Closer to 4 Kwh per hr or 8 Kwh in 2 hrs in the difference that's 40 Kms in the difference and could be the difference between needing a fast charge or not, less time on a fast charger or not needing a fast charger at all.

At the end of the day most People will charge at home most of the time so if they think 7.5 Kw is worth it then they should definitely go ahead and get 7.5 Kw at home it's just not a huge deal either way considering most people won't need the daily range more than what a 3.5 Kw charger can provide. 7.5 Kw allows someone to charge up as fast as possible should they need to at home.

Advertisement