Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

liamog wrote: »
    Standard on a lot of cars now is the 7.2kW on board charger, with an optional upgrade to the three phase 11kW charger.
    There are a few people who swear by the 11kW on board charger as they think it's really useful for public AC charging, it's only 3.6kW over the standard model.
    At the same time we're saying it's probably ok to only have 3.6kW at home with the borked cable.

My main requirement is to fit a full charge in the 10 hour night rate window, that's based on my preference of plugging in the car less times a week.

One thing I'll say for plugging the car in every night is that it's a lot harder to steal. The car is literally locked in place

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

eagerv wrote: »

Concerning regen, I only want zero and a lowish level (Enough so the car doesn't speed up when descending a long hill). Still not sure if the ID.3 has zero. I don't like 1 pedal driving, preferring the brake pedal regen when having to stop. In our Ioniq I only ever use 0 or 1.

Just what I am used to...

I didnt see an option for disabling regen. D does have regen and B is stronger.

There arent paddles to turn regen up/down on the fly and in the short time I had in the car I didnt see it in the menus but it might be there somewhere... there are alot of menus!

Regarding 7 Kw vs 11, yes it does make a difference, 11 Kw is more efficient so you loose less so it's more than 3.5 Kw closer to 4 Kw per hr.

I'd say where it makes a difference is using a destination charger when other people are looking for it. In 4 hours you can recover 44kWh (75%SoC) versus 28kWh (48% SoC) for a 58kWh ID.3. That means you can vacate the charger sooner and give someone else more time on it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

KCross wrote: »
    I didnt see an option for disabling regen. D does have regen and B is stronger.

There arent paddles to turn regen up/down on the fly and in the short time I had in the car I didnt see it in the menus but it might be there somewhere... there are alot of menus!

Yes until we get the cars will be difficult to know what's available.
    Will be happy enough with a low level of regen in D, will be similar I suppose to a standard ICE which is safer for many. For a lot of my rural driving I would prefer to let the car freewheel for max efficiency hence I love the zero regen on other makes.

I'd say where it makes a difference is using a destination charger when other people are looking for it. In 4 hours you can recover 44kWh (75%SoC) versus 28kWh (48% SoC) for a 58kWh ID.3. That means you can vacate the charger sooner and give someone else more time on it

I'd say vacating chargers to make them available for others will be the least thing on most People's minds.

All the PHEVs with tiny batteries are mostly connected to them these days anyway so they are much harder to find available now.

• Advertisement

I'd say vacating chargers to make them available for others will be the least thing on most People's minds.

All the PHEVs with tiny batteries are mostly connected to them these days anyway so they are much harder to find available now.

Yeah, I'm assuming everyone is being a good citizen, I live in hope of seeing it someday

Yeah, I'm assuming everyone is being a good citizen, I live in hope of seeing it someday

Unfortunately too many people have the "I'm alright Jack" attitude. I can't ever see this change.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

At least it won't be Kuga's hogging the chargers....

525795.jpeg

If someone can get a free charge, they will charge. :D

Typical Ford 'engineering', they probably only designed it to handle 110V :rolleyes:

So since Ford's PHEVs have lost the PHE part, I assume they will count as typical ICE vehicles for EU emission targets and Ford will be fined accordingly?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Mod Note: Not the thread to discuss the relative merits of a REX, if you want one start one.

Rex thread started https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058111937

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Not just Teslas that have panel gaps apparently. This was not a full production model though.

Source:> https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/elektroauto/vw-id-3-qualitaetsprobleme-test-verarbeitung-elektronik/
    Electronics still very "unfinished"
    Hard and dirt-sensitive plastics are installed in the cockpit. The inside of the bonnet looks as if it has been painted with the spray can, the testers criticize. The electronics show clear weaknesses in the test car, which is close to series production. The infotainment moves up only slowly, the navigation system often remains disoriented for several hundred meters. The system does not retrieve online services at all. The ten-inch monitor is relatively far away from the driver and is therefore somewhat difficult to operate. Dodging voice control is of little pleasure, because the system does not work error-free and quickly.

Further info:> https://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-electric-review/volkswagens-new-electric-car-panned-by-germanys-leading-test-publication-idUSKBN2601AS
    Uneven panel gaps, an infotainment system which takes a long time to fire up, and a navigation system which fails to work were other features which the publication help up for criticism.

The powertrain and ride were good, but the operating range was only 359 kilometers, the publication said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Anyone trading in an egolf for an ID3? Thinking of changing our 2017 36kWh for the 1st plus. Seems like a drop in spec for the basic model-no reversing cam or auto dim mirror seems a bit scabby on a €30k car..

Davy wrote: »

Yeah I'm not gonna pass judgement on a pre production model, not representative of the final article.

If owners start reporting quality issues then I'll be concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

It was a close run thing but I finally got the car this evening. The 1.9% apr rate and the 3 free months of finance were making the system say NO. They figured something out eventually and I got to take it home today.
    Really impressed with it. So many menus, colours and sounds to play with. Comfort mode is well fast enough. Didn't dare try Sport mode yet. Driving is so easy, seats are really comfortable and the armrests are great. Rear windows are really tinted so it's a bit dark in the back.

Some pictures...

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jonnythefox

rx8 wrote: »
    Some pictures...

looks really well rx8. well wear !
    I was told today its going to be Thursday 17th before I collect mine. A bit bummed TBH.
    would you mind sharing what finance you went with. I was going to go with 30% PCP. but now since the interest drop to 1.9% I am thinking the ID plan maybe a better option?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pearsefitz

I was told today its going to be Thursday 17th before I collect mine. A bit bummed TBH.
    would you mind sharing what finance you went with. I was going to go with 30% PCP. but now since the interest drop to 1.9% I am thinking the ID plan maybe a better option?
    I would also be interested in that. But more so the GMFV (last payment). Thank you

30% as a deposit ? no I wouldn't, the idea of PCP especially is to put as little cash into the car over the 3 years as possible, the higher the GFMV at the end the better too because this means you are paying as little as possible.

Just remember that if you want to change again in 3 years this GFMV is meaningless and something you don't have to pay.

To me as a high mileage driver PCP is less worth while.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

30% as a deposit ? no I wouldn't, the idea of PCP especially is to put as little cash into the car over the 3 years as possible, the higher the GFMV at the end the better too because this means you are paying as little as possible.

Just remember that if you want to change again in 3 years this GFMV is meaningless and something you don't have to pay.

Is the trade in price less GMFV not the value of your next deposit though?

So if VW offer you €20k in three years for your base ID3 and your GMFV is €15k you have €5k as a deposit for the next car?

• Advertisement

Hmmm.... PCP could be looked at in a different manner. I would say the more initial deposit you put down the less your monthly's are. This then gives you a lower GFMV which should give you equity in the vehicle when trading in.
    But I do get your point that some people want to put as little cash as possible into the car.
    Bottom line is your paying one way or the other unfortunately.

I went with the ID Plan. They wanted me to wait until tomorrow but I wasn't budging. They had a group call with vw Ireland top dogs to try and figure a way around the problem. Eventually they decided that they would have to draw up a 36 month contract to keep the computer and VW bank happy and they are going to refund me 3 months payments upfront to cover it. Not ideal I know but, I wasn't leaving without the car today. The toll tag and the Insurance were all changed over to the new car so I didn't want the hassle of trying to change it back again. They do tell you though that you won't have any equity in the car at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Just looking at RX8 pics. Are the wheel nuts non standard ? If you need to take off a wheel to replace a worn or badly punctured tyre is it going to be a RPITA. I remember a few years back Peugeot had some non standard nut on their wheels and it caused all sorts of hassle for a few unfortunate sods. Are these something similar or just the way I’m looking at the pic.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Is the trade in price less GMFV not the value of your next deposit though?

If you have a decent trade in, that's fine, but I wouldn't put more than the 10% in cash to a car on a PCP without a trade in.

With PCP the GFMV is the balloon you must pay to own the car or you don't have to pay it if you get another PCP on a new car, so, as I said, the idea and the real selling point of PCP is that it's designed to put as little cash into the car as possible and a low GFMV means you're paying too much per month or you're driving too much and a High GFMV and low monthly payments means you're paying as little as possible especially if doing low yearly Kms. Beware of PCP that has low GFMV and high monthly payments with low yearly kms.
    TitianGerm wrote: »
    So if VW offer you €20k in three years for your base ID3 and your GMFV is €15k you have €5k as a deposit for the next car?

Yes you have 5 K towards your car but it is very foolish to think you will have more for the car than the GFMV which is very carefully calculated, assume and budget that you do not and will not have more than the GFMV after 3 years and the agreed mileage.

If in doubt just go with regular finance.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Irishjg wrote: »
    Just looking at RX8 pics. Are the wheel nuts non standard ? If you need to take off a wheel to replace a worn or badly punctured tyre is it going to be a RPITA. I remember a few years back Peugeot had some non standard nut on their wheels and it caused all sorts of hassle for a few unfortunate sods. Are these something similar or just the way I’m looking at the pic.

They look like the little plastic caps on my Golf that slide into the wheel to cover the nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Irishjg wrote: »

Looks to just be the rubber caps Volkswagen puts over their nuts. They should be the standard nuts underneath.

Hmmm.... PCP could be looked at in a different manner. I would say the more initial deposit you put down the less your monthly's are. This then gives you a lower GFMV which should give you equity in the vehicle when trading in.
    But I do get your point that some people want to put as little cash as possible into the car.
    Bottom line is your paying one way or the other unfortunately.

Yes that's true, the more deposit the less monthly payments, but you got to make sure you're paying as little as possible especially if doing low yearly Kms.

Assume absolutely no equity in the car above the GFMV, this is a real mistake a lot of People make, the GFMV is guaranteed on paper, anything above is not so do not expect anything extra as a deposit towards another car, if unsure do not sign a PCP contract and go with regular finance and stretch it out over 5 years and if that seems like a stretch then PCP isn't for you, look, if you can't pay for a car by regular finance then don't go with PCP, PCP is great, but you got to know what you're getting into and with regular finance you will know exactly what you can and can't afford, PCP you got to know what you're getting into and the car has to be immaculate at the end too.

If you do go with PCP get your yearly mileage calculated as close as possible so there are no surprises at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

At 1.9 percent APR you’re better off taking the PCP and then refinancing the balloon rather than paying 8/9 percent on a 5 year loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Really great to see another brand EV landing in Ireland. Well wear to everyone.

• Advertisement

Yes that's true, the more deposit the less monthly payments, but you got to make sure you're paying as little as possible especially if doing low yearly Kms.

Assume absolutely no equity in the car above the GFMV, this is a real mistake a lot of People make, the GFMV is guaranteed on paper, anything above is not so do not expect anything extra as a deposit towards another car, if unsure do not sign a PCP contract and go with regular finance and stretch it out over 5 years and if that seems like a stretch then PCP isn't for you, look, if you can't pay for a car by regular finance then don't go with PCP, PCP is great, but you got to know what you're getting into and with regular finance you will know exactly what you can and can't afford, PCP you got to know what you're getting into and the car has to be immaculate at the end too.

If you do go with PCP get your yearly mileage calculated as close as possible so there are no surprises at the end.

Absolutely agree ! You need to understand what you're getting yourself into with PCP. This will be my 5th time going into a PCP contract. I would say once your in the PCP cycle its hard to get out!

Advertisement