Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

None of the established, profitable car manufacturers are going to sacrifice their margins or well established brand hierarchies for the sake of environmentalism.

On the upside, in a few years time everything will be RWD or AWD and Audis will not be fighting understeer. What a time to be alive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Lumen wrote: »
    None of the established, profitable car manufacturers are going to sacrifice their margins or well established brand hierarchies for the sake of environmentalism.

Of course they wont, the idea is that they won't have much choice but to change. We can see this change in the extreme when Diesel and Petrol cars are banned from cities, this will obvious have an effect on their sales and force manufacturers to take a more aggressive stance themselves.

Big Oil is in the same situation. Most of their vast budgets still go to looking for and drilling oil from the most inaccessible places on earth, they put a sprinkle into wind/solar and lash up a few charge points (Well done BP, im looking at you).

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

jusmeig wrote: »
    Of course they wont, the idea is that they won't have much choice but to change. We can see this change in the extreme when Diesel and Petrol cars are banned from cities, this will obvious have an effect on their sales and force manufacturers to take a more aggressive stance themselves.

Big Oil is in the same situation. Most of their vast budgets still go to looking for and drilling oil from the most inaccessible places on earth, they put a sprinkle into wind/solar and lash up a few charge points (Well done BP, im looking at you).

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I was referring to maintaining brand and model hierarchies within EV tech rather than defending their fossil business.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Entry level will cost less than 30 k if that's true and before subsidies that would be amazing for a 40 kWh car with 100 kWh charging !

And thermally managed battery .

Nissan needs top wake up but VW do not plan top sell the I'd.3 in north America at least not yet so Nissan will dominate those markets.

There's no easy in heel I'd buy a leaf at that rate , it makes for extremely poor value or it will I mean.

No doubt the basic will be traditional VW basic seats and steering wheel, exactly what the Irish market needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Nissan needs top wake up but VW do not plan top sell the I'd.3 in north America at least not yet so Nissan will dominate those markets.

There's no easy in heel I'd buy a leaf at that rate , it makes for extremely poor value or it will I mean.

Nissan has "dominated" US markets by selling whopping 6000 units so far in 2019 vs. 81000 Model 3 so pretty much dead in the water anywhere but Europe.

The model 3 is cheap in the u.s costs about 10 k more here due to our extortion taxes, not sure anyone would buy a leaf here at those prices either.

The I'd.3 should worry nissan a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The model 3 is cheap in the u.s costs about 10 k more here due to our extortion taxes, not sure anyone would buy a leaf here at those prices either.

Try to explain why they've decided to increase their prices then?

They dont seem worried to me.... either they know they are safe with the price increase or they're fools. Take your pick!

KCross wrote: »
    Try to explain why they've decided to increase their prices then?

They dont seem worried to me.... either they know they are safe with the price increase or they're fools. Take your pick!

Nissan are fools, they've made some bad decisions . At least bmw offered the 44 kw at very small increase for the i3.

Lack of thermally controlled battery probably did the most damage to us sales and yet they continue not to control the battery temperature.

It's as if Nissan wasn't the leaf top fall.

Lumen wrote: »

On the upside, in a few years time everything will be RWD or AWD and Audis will not be fighting understeer. What a time to be alive!

BMW are going FWD ........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BMW are going FWD ........

With their small diesel sh1tboxes because it's a cheaper setup

No need for that with EVs. In fact RWD as you well know is much better for the delivery of all that electric torque :)

Future looking bright indeed!

unkel wrote: »
    With their small diesel sh1tboxes because it's a cheaper setup

No need for that with EVs. In fact RWD as you well know is much better for the delivery of all that electric torque :)

Future looking bright indeed!

Yes I know, but as I said, BMW are going FWD as standard now, I think for most of their cars and definitely their electrics, it's a sad time not bright !

RWD for electrics is especially important.

Thankfully the id.3 will be RWD and should give the i3 a run for its money, Kona, Leaf, not a chance, no grip , especially in damp and wet, makes their claimed 0-100 times feel much, much longer.

i3 against model 3 ? , no chance lol, I'd love it probably but too expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Yes I know, but as I said, BMW are going FWD as standard now, I think for most of their cars and definitely their electrics, it's a sad time not bright !

RWD for electrics is especially important.

Thankfully the id.3 will be RWD and should give the i3 a run for its money, Kona, Leaf, not a chance, no grip , especially in damp and wet, makes their claimed 0-100 times feel much, much longer.

i3 against model 3 ? , no chance lol, I'd love it probably but too expensive.

Mazda CX3 35.5kWh REX

Is what I like

Rotary engines would make great range extenders

https://insideevs.com/news/368807/mazda-electric-doesnt-believe-large-batteries/

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Mazda CX3 35.5kWh REX

Is what I like

Rotary engines would make great range extenders

https://insideevs.com/news/368807/mazda-electric-doesnt-believe-large-batteries/

I bet it will bump up the price a lot, especially with higher vrt.

Shame they couldn't stretch to 40 Kwh.

No info on charging power. AC and DC.

I could live with 100 Kw Ev and 60 Kwh but just far too few chargers at the moment.

Shame Mazda didn't bring this out years ago, but at least it would be a good PHEV and not like others with their tiny batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's finally sold out and they don't intend releasing any more 1st's

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/04/cars/volkswagen-electric-id3-limited-edition/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

But out of those here who reserved and have not cancelled (on boards) , noone yet has confirmed to buy.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭McGiver

Extortion taxes in Ireland is a nonsense. That would be the Denmark in terms of VRT, and Netherlands second if you're talking about that, because otherwise Irish taxes overall are lowest in the EU.

Now, the EU apply 10.0% tariff on US cars, so this may be something to do with the Tesla price in Ireland, I'd imagine. And then the VAT which is pan-European business. And then shipping costs from the US to the EU.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    But out of those here who reserved and have not cancelled (on boards) , noone yet has confirmed to buy.

I'll buy if the government don't throw a spanner in the works with bik. Concerned the penny will drop that we simply can't afford to continue to keep subsidising EV's. They've already started writing on the wall.
    I'd really like to see the budget before fully committing. The launch timing is terrible as I think you've to confirm before the budget is released on the 8th of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I'll buy if the government don't throw a spanner in the works with bik. Concerned the penny will drop that we simply can't afford to continue to keep subsidising EV's. They've already started writing on the wall.
    I'd really like to see the budget before fully committing. The launch timing is terrible as I think you've to confirm before the budget is released on the 8th of October.

My dealer told me (sounds like a toothpaste ad, :D) that you'll have until some time in January before you'll have to commit to an order. Usual caveat applies regarding dealer speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,118 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

VW Ireland will still take the €1000 off you to reserve one, am I wasting my time there? Was going to wait until the car was officially unveiled next week before pulling the trigger.

• Advertisement

Probably not as a lot of us are on the fence...as I said if there's nothing concrete in the budget about 0% bik remaining i'm out. There's no other incentive for me to buy an EV and I'd say my mates with Tesla orders for 2020 are in the same boat.

Reading up on what big oil will do when there's an actual threat from EV's would make you think twice about EV's it's possible fuel could fall by the power of 10 if needs be to compete with EV's. The government need to go beyond virtue signalling and make a firm commitment about what's going to happen incentive wise.

Probably not as a lot of us are on the fence...as I said if there's nothing concrete in the budget about 0% bik remaining i'm out. There's no other incentive for me to buy an EV and I'd say my mates with Tesla orders for 2020 are in the same boat.

I'm in the same boat myself, the bik laws will change eventually and I'd like to get a few years out of them while it's still possible. I was just thinking of sticking down the €1000 now and taking it back if things change, I was under the impression you don't have to commit until early 2020?

No additional money has to be handed over until 2020... from the VW.ie website...

"... when it becomes available during 2019 and will invite you to place an order during our "priority ordering window" in early 2020."

My understanding is that the ordering window was April... cant remember where I read that though. Deliveries were always expected for summer 2020 so April order makes sense.

I just threw down a deposit there, can always back out if the BIK situation changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

I've my deposit down since deposit launch day, but again, BIK is key to me also, even if they up the BIK to 5% (like a van) then its still a runner for me, but if it jumps to 30% BIK, i'm out.

0 or 5% BIK for say 3 to 5 years, then sell the company car to me or the wife at that stage as a second private car is my thinking.

i'm currently in a 3 year PCP (vw group) for van which is up in jan 2021, so im not sure vw will do a deal against my van in say april 2020 for the 1st edition, or i'll have to wait till 2021 and get the standard car or something else (second hand model 3 maybe)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭quokula

Sorry if this is off topic but confused about the last bunch of posts. How is BIK relevant if you're buying the car? Isn't that something for your employer? And if it is a company car wouldn't they be the ones putting down deposits and all the rest?

I could understand if that's some unusual situation some people have but from the last few posts it sounds like practically everybody is buying the car using BIK in some way?

BIK is something the employee pays, not the company (even if the company owns the car).
    And BIK on EV's is exempt upto the first €50k retail price of the car which is a huge incentive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

quokula wrote: »
    Sorry if this is off topic but confused about the last bunch of posts. How is BIK relevant if you're buying the car? Isn't that something for your employer? And if it is a company car wouldn't they be the ones putting down deposits and all the rest?

I could understand if that's some unusual situation some people have but from the last few posts it sounds like practically everybody is buying the car using BIK in some way?

You are right BIK is to do with company cars but some people are self employed and have a company set up, in this car they can buy the car for themselves and put it against the company

Some people like me just get car bought by company so of course this means reservations etc are pointless. It also adds a bit of time onto delivery

For the standard buy BIK is not relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Reading up on what big oil will do when there's an actual threat from EV's would make you think twice about EV's it's possible fuel could fall by the power of 10 if needs be to compete with EV's. The government need to go beyond virtue signalling and make a firm commitment about what's going to happen incentive wise.

The whole sale might. But that only counts for something like 25% of the price. And the government will tax it heavier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

quokula wrote: »

BIK also relates to the amount of annual mileage you do, if you do small company mileage (like me, self employed , LTD company director and employee )
    then this effects the amount of BIK you pay to use the car for personal use

so i makes perfect sense to buy a company car with 0% bik , especially if you are trading in for 2 seater van or jeep for example

Advertisement