Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

liamog wrote: »
    To be fair, most people go with tethered chargers at home as it's more convenient, so they won't really be affected.

Thats fair enough, but most people is not all people. What about when you're down the country, and need an eCars top up to get enough juice to get back home? You end up taking twice as long at a charger that someone else could need to use. Not everyone will want to stop and fast charge on a motorway.

Its a brand new EV on the market, and they equip it with a cable that only supports 3.7kW AC charging in the wild..... despite being capable of double that!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Thats fair enough, but most people is not all people. What about when you're down the country, and need an eCars top up to get enough juice to get back home? You end up taking twice as long at a charger that someone else could need to use. Not everyone will want to stop and fast charge on a motorway.

Its a brand new EV on the market, and they equip it with a cable that only supports 3.7kW AC charging in the wild..... despite being capable of double that!!

The cable supports 11kW charging in the wild, and will do so at pretty much all of the eCars AC network chargers. It's only the 32A single phase sockets that will be impacted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Fair enough, but still fairly stingy though..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

KCross wrote: »
    Its a separate order... €250 if you want a 3ph 32A cable.
    Its priced about right but it should be there by default! :rolleyes:

Is this an unnecessarily expensive cable, as what's needed is just a single phase 32A cable, or those this cable have advantages elsewhere?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Is this an unnecessarily expensive cable, as what's needed is just a single phase 32A cable, or those this cable have advantages elsewhere?

If you need a cable I'd buy one from here https://evcables.co.uk/

Either go for a 32A single phase cable and carry both cables just in case, or go for a 32A three phase cable and store the VW cable in your garage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is the cable in the boot one you just plug into an ordinary home socket, 3 pin plug at the end?

Is the cable in the boot one you just plug into an ordinary home socket, 3 pin plug at the end?

I believe the Irish car comes with both, in the UK they don't get a 3pin charge cable, but do get the higher amp type 2 charging cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I believe the Irish car comes with both, in the UK they don't get a 3pin charge cable, but do get the higher amp type 2 charging cable.

The cars come with a 10a granny charger and a 20a 3 phase mode 3 cables

The cars come with a 10a granny charger and a 20a 3 phase mode 3 cables

Rookie question, granny charger to charge from a 3 pin but why do I need the other cable, ill have a fixed one at home...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Rookie question, granny charger to charge from a 3 pin but why do I need the other cable, ill have a fixed one at home...

You'll need it if you're using public AC chargers at any point, they don't have cables installed.

Tbh mine sits plugged into my home charger, only take it with me for road trips. Granny lead sits in the cupboard until I need it

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Apparently the 'first' ID.3 was handed over in Germany

https://www.electrive.com/2020/09/11/vw-hands-over-first-id-3-electric-car-in-germany/

I guess the guys who got them early here will have to give them back for a few days :D

I'll probably be using an esb one from time to time, will I need it then. More than likely this one..

Screenshot-20200911-132854.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭noelf

Apparently a couple of dealers out west breached the street date meaning people received their cars early. Today is apparently the first day dealers are allowed to hand over the cars, according to some reports there is a couple of boats with ID.3s due this month.

The Paglia is due back in Dublin port in two days time according to the marine radar app ..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I'll probably be using an esb one from time to time, will I need it then. More than likely this one..

Screenshot-20200911-132854.jpg

yes

Cyrus wrote: »
    yes

Will it give me the max power from that particular one..the other ones I'll be using are Obama, birdhill and cashel, presume I don't need my own cable with those...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

yes

Are the type 2 not 3 phase? So the cable supplied should take 11kW?

Will it give me the max power from that particular one..the other ones I'll be using are Obama, birdhill and cashel, presume I don't need my own cable with those...

the ID3 can charge at a max 11kw per hour on AC so you wont get the max.

AC units you need your own cable (normally)

DC units are tethered

eagerv wrote: »
    Are the type 2 not 3 phase? So the cable supplied should take 11kW?

he asked will he need to have the cable with him, i said he will, those AC charge points are untethered normally.

he asked will he need to have the cable with him, i said he will, those AC charge points are untethered normally.

OK, misread, sorry.

the ID3 can charge at a max 11kw per hour on AC so you wont get the max.

So no issue with the cable then for me it's the car can't do it?

• Advertisement

No issues, the car can charge at 11kW max on 3 phase and the cable can handle 11kW on 3 phase, so sorted for most public AC

On single phase, the cable can only handle 3.6kW, so your charge would be limited if for example you plugged into a 7kW single phase charger.

As you mentioned you have the tethered charger, so this won't be a problem normally. The only time it's likely to come up would be if you're using a 7kW untethered charger in a hotel or a friends house for example

Only a few EVs can take the full 22kW from type 2 AC Charge points.
    Zoe, some Teslas and I am sure a few others.
    Most can take about 7kW, while some newer ones can take 11kW.

The only time I will be a bit limited with the 16A 3 phase cable will be if I need to use a single phase AC untethered charge point. However I will be able to throw in the 32A cable from our Ioniq if we are going away to say a Hotel. (Probably tethered anyway)

yes exactly

better explained above!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

To be fair, most people go with tethered chargers at home as it's more convenient, so they won't really be affected.

Not sure what the split is but alot of people on the forum have opted for untethered for aestethic reasons (e.g. EO Mini).

The issue will be that most people will have no clue what the implications are and will be in for a shock the first morning they charge it up. They'll then have to adjust their expectations or buy a second cable.... which they just shouldnt have to do.

Personally I think VW should have given the option to swap the cable before delivery rather than paying full price for a second cable.

Most can take about 7kW, while some newer ones can take 11kW.

The one thing I'd add is that the ID.3 can charge at 11kW on 3 phase and 7kW on single phase chargers (using a 32A cable). From what I can find most of the cars that can do 3 phase charging are setup somewhat the same as this

The only time I will be a bit limited with the 16A 3 phase cable will be if I need to use a single phase AC untethered charge point. However I will be able to throw in the 32A cable from our Ioniq if we are going away to say a Hotel. (Probably tethered anyway)

From what I can see that varies, the one with Tesla destination chargers seem to be tethered (not sure Tesla do an untethered version) but I think the 7kW ESB chargers are untethered.

Personally if I'm doing a road trip I'd bring both the granny lead and Type 2 cable, just to have all the bases covered

KCross wrote: »
    Not sure what the split is but alot of people on the forum have opted for untethered for aestethic reasons (e.g. EO Mini).

The issue will be that most people will have no clue what the implications are and will be in for a shock the first morning they charge it up. They'll then have to adjust their expectations or buy a second cable.... which they just shouldnt have to do.

Personally I think VW should have given the option to swap the cable before delivery rather than paying full price for a second cable.

I went for an untethered EO Mini as the Leaf uses Type 1 and I wanted to future proof by getting a Type 2 socket.

Total waste of time in retrospect and I'm probably going to sell the charger with the car and get a tethered Zappi when I upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There are a few possibilities...

1ph 32A - This is what is typically attached to your home charge point if you bought a tethered charge point.
    The ID.3 will charge at 7kW on that.
    i.e. you use the charge point cable, not the one provided with the car

3ph 16A - This is what comes with the car
    It will charge at 3.6kW at home on an untethered charge point
    It will charge at 11kW on the eCars public AC charge points

3ph 32A - An optional purchase
    It will charge at 7kW at home on an untethered charge point
    It will charge at 11kW on the eCars public AC charge points
    It can go to 22kW on some other cars but not the ID.3, which is limited to 11kW.

So, the downside of VW Ireland's decision is that if you have an untethered charge point at home and you plan to use the ID.3 provided cable you will only get 3.6kW at home but you will get 11kW when usin eCars AC charge points.

Ideally you want to be able to charge at 7kW at home and 11kW while out and about.... i.e. 3ph 32A.

The one thing I'd add is that the ID.3 can charge at 11kW on 3 phase and 7kW on single phase chargers (using a 32A cable). From what I can find most of the cars that can do 3 phase charging are setup somewhat the same as this

From what I can see that varies, the one with Tesla destination chargers seem to be tethered (not sure Tesla do an untethered version) but I think the 7kW ESB chargers are untethered.

Personally if I'm doing a road trip I'd bring both the granny lead and Type 2 cable, just to have all the bases covered

I'll bring all three..:) Fortunately there are only normally the two of us on such trips, so plenty of room.. (Kids no longer want to go with the auld ones..:))

I'll bring all three..:) Fortunately there are only normally the two of us on such trips, so plenty of room.. (Kids no longer want to go with the auld ones..:))

I have very much the opposite situation, 4yo and 10mo plus associated junk means there's little room left in the car for much else

I definitely need a bigger car :(

• Advertisement

Has anyone gotten the chance to check out the build quality or the infotainment system software?

There's a bunch of articles going around over the poor review the ID.3 got from some German review site. Pretty sure they said they were using a prototype model though

Advertisement