Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Is a proper home charging point an absolute essential or could you kick that purchase down the road a bit and make do with a regular 3-pin plug for a while? e.g. if you had the car at 70-80% via a local fast charger, would the basic 3-pin plug be enough to top it out to 100% over night? Has anyone opted for the VW "ID Charger"? Product guide has it at €555 after grants.

Depends entirely on your daily driving. The 3 pin cable will deliver about 24kWh over a 12 hour period, so if you plugged in at 6pm and unplugged at 6am that's what you'd get.

24kWh is just over 40% SoC for the ID.3 1st, or probably 140km of driving depending on how you drive

So if your daily driving is less than that then you'll get back to 100% with the 3 pin charger.

You'll definitely want to get a home charger in the long run, for convenience of nothing else. But if you're getting the car soon and haven't sorted the charger out yet you'll be grand for a few weeks.

I survived about a month with the Leaf and no charger at all, had to live off the free charger at the Nissan dealership. It's doable but it's annoying

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

TitianGerm wrote: »
    There's three different chargers on the link through the VW website. I'm new to this so I've no clue what the difference is or if you'd be as well going with a completely different charger?

Okay, ignore the top one, you don't need that

The difference between the other two is that the base model will just charge, and the middle one has an internet connection so you can control it with an app

About the only use of the connected version is that you can generally set the charge timer to charge at night when the electricity is cheap.

BTW, the car also has a charge timer, so you won't be stuck on the higher rate with the basic model.

The difference is that of you plug into a public AC charger during the day, you'll need to press a button to override the timer, and if you forget it won't charge.

This doesn't apply to DC fast chargers, the car will always charge at one of those as soon as it's plugged in

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

How do people find the seats? They don't look very supportive. I really like the sport seats in the Golf, they really help hug you when throwing it around. The alcantara seems to help grip too. I really miss them when driving other cars and have very little support.

How does the car handle? My Golf is far from a sports car but the seats and suspension really make it enjoyable to throw into corners, the light weight helps too.
    Greenbin wrote: »
    Looking at the Plus and got this quote from dealer today.
    Never did PCP before and swore I never would but am tempted just now..
    Any thoughts on the figures below?

Total Retail Price € 51,283

Less VRT Rebate € 5,000

Less SEAI Grant
    € 5,000

Less P/Exchange € 10,000

Net Balance € 31,283

= € 452 x 36 Months PCP @ 1.9% AP

GFV set @ € 16,238 ( final figure )

Km’s per year 20,000

Am I right I’m thinking if I want to keep the car after 3 yrs I will owe them the GFV above?
    Anything else to look out for with PCP?
    Thanks

I wonder would a 30% deposit knock it down to €400 a month? Their finance calculator only has hire purchase for the ID.3. A Mk8 Golf at €36-37k would be around €325-350. My next car will be long term so don't mind spending a bit extra. I think fuel savings would offset a lot of the cost difference, just means I wouldn't be saving anything. From what I understand you'll be able to spec them yourself after launch but everything from keyless to reversing camera to IQ lights are things I'd want so not much to save on the Plus model.

I don't know why I'm even looking at this thread, I don't see the council budging on installing a charger at my house in the next 9 months :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The difference between the other two is that the base model will just charge, and the middle one has an internet connection so you can control it with an app

About the only use of the connected version is that you can generally set the charge timer to charge at night when the electricity is cheap.

BTW, the car also has a charge timer, so you won't be stuck on the higher rate with the basic model.

The difference is that of you plug into a public AC charger during the day, you'll need to press a button to override the timer, and if you forget it won't charge.

This doesn't apply to DC fast chargers, the car will always charge at one of those as soon as it's plugged in

I think the middle option would be best then as it adds the internet connectivity which is a nice option I feel?

Total cost looks to be €1400 or thereabouts. Then get €1000 back from VW and €600 from SEAI and I'm making money ;)

I can't order the charger until I have the car though isn't that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Nice one, thanks for explaining.
    I have lots of space and facility for installing a charger (recently built a new house), but if I can put it on the long finger for a few months it would suit. There's also a Circle K garage quite close to me that has fast chargers afaik.

• Advertisement

I think the middle option would be best then as it adds the internet connectivity which is a nice option I feel?

Total cost looks to be €1400 or thereabouts. Then get €1000 back from VW and €600 from SEAI and I'm making money ;)

As far as I know I think you need to own an EV before qualifying for the grant.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I've been told you can apply for the charge point grant after you've been approved for the SEAI grant when purchasing the car.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    How do people find the seats? They don't look very supportive. I really like the sport seats in the Golf, they really help hug you when throwing it around. The alcantara seems to help grip too. I really miss them when driving other cars and have very little support.

How does the car handle? My Golf is far from a sports car but the seats and suspension really make it enjoyable to throw into corners, the light weight helps too.

I wonder would a 30% deposit knock it down to €400 a month? Their finance calculator only has hire purchase for the ID.3. A Mk8 Golf at €36-37k would be around €325-350. My next car will be long term so don't mind spending a bit extra. I think fuel savings would offset a lot of the cost difference, just means I wouldn't be saving anything. From what I understand you'll be able to spec them yourself after launch but everything from keyless to reversing camera to IQ lights are things I'd want so not much to save on the Plus model.

I don't know why I'm even looking at this thread, I don't see the council budging on installing a charger at my house in the next 9 months :(

I found the seats in the demo good. And thats me coming from a low slung 4 series BMW... Supportive and well bolstered.

Handling, again good. The "kick" from the RWD is nice, the car feels very well balanced and planted. Steering feel I thought was excellent. I threw it into a few roundabouts with the pedal planted and it handled quite well I thought!

In terms of finance, yes I think you'd get it down to that with 30%. You can opt for normal PCP rather than the ID Plan and I'm not sure there's a huge difference other than the upfront deposit and GMFV being proportioned different.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Johnfred

liamog wrote: »
    I've been told you can apply for the charge point grant after you've been approved for the SEAI grant when purchasing the car.
    You can apply for the charger grant before you get the car. I got approval in a matter of days. Still no sign of my car though!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

What’s the advantage of the ID plan over pcp? It’s more expensive as the GMFV is higher and generates more more for vw bank.

How does it generate more?

If you take a PCP you owe 40 percent in three years, if you take the plan you owe 50 percent (they’re rough figures). You’re still paying the exact same for the car but with the Plan you’re taking less risk and putting less money in day one.

Example all in percentages

PCP, Deposit 30 percent. Pay back 30 percent over 3 years owe 40 percent

Plan, Deposit 10 percent, pay back 40 percent over 3 years, owe 50 percent.

It’s the exact same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Greenbin

Casati wrote: »
    I’d agree with that - it’s based on 40% and worst case you’d be thinking you’d get back 50% of the new price after three years

50% of the €41k new price or gross €51k price?
    Will it really be worth €25k in 3 yrs time with all the newer ev’s around by then? Plus I definitely will have almost the full 60k km allowed on it by then...

Took the Plus for a drive at the weekend and really liked it. Have driven the Kona, eNiro and Model 3. IMHO a nicer drive than the Kona and Niro. Not as much fun as the M3. The ID3 is a nice space to be in. Good driving position, plenty power especially from 80kph to 120kph. Maybe not quite as quick from 30 to 60. Swapped with OH during the drive and sat in back seat. I drove it in D and she did in B mode. Noticeably more regen in B. I’m not tall but there’s lots of space back there. Some road noise but acceptable. Boot floor is low which means when the back seats are folded there is a sizeable step up from the floor to the seat so not that easy to load stuff which needs to go out onto the seats.
    Thanks for all the replies earlier.

L-M wrote: »

If you take a PCP you owe 40 percent in three years, if you take the plan you owe 50 percent (they’re rough figures). You’re still paying the exact same for the car but with the Plan you’re taking less risk and putting less money in day one.

He means interest.

If you put 30% down and the GMFV is 40% your paying interest on 30%.

If you put 10% down and the GMFV is 50% your paying interest on 40%.

If you buy out at the end of three years then you'll have to finance 30% or 40%. Obviously you'll pay more interest again on the refinanced 40%.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

L-M wrote: »

The funny thing is that if you’ll compare ID plan with 10% vs pcp with 10%, ID plan is €250 more expensive (old quotes, old rate 4.9%, before vat decrease, base, interest on ID plan €3446 vs €3207, GMFV €17560 vs 14198, 470pm vs 557). So higher GMFV does generate more interest.

He means interest.

If you put 30% down and the GMFV is 40% your paying interest on 30%.

If you put 10% down and the GMFV is 50% your paying interest on 40%.

If you buy out at the end of three years then you'll have to finance 30% or 40%. Obviously you'll pay more interest again on the refinanced 40%.

You are paying interest on 70% and on 90%. Volkswagen uk used to have a page explaining how they charge interest, the GMFV by far generates the most of the interest as you don’t pay it off for 3 years. At certain % pcp is more expensive than HP at much higher percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

I wonder if anyone knows how much more expensive is Plus for people financing. ID Plan was 4.9% and with drop to 1.9% for Plus version it would suggest that difference in monthly payments is proportionally smaller than difference between OTR prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How much is the VRT part of the car cost, I see they may be dropping the rate from 14% to 7% in the budget, would that signal they may scrap the 5k Vrt incentive?

VRT overhaul would see the price of a new car soar by €1,000

https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/vrt-overhaul-would-see-the-price-of-a-new-car-soar-by-1000-39531849.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Yes if you want to keep it after year 3 you pay the GMFV.

Worth remembering that if you intend to keep the car, the mileage limit doesn't matter, and you can set it as low as you like. Which should affect the monthly payments and the final amount.

Lads it's easier to just give figures in euro's than % I never saw anyone do this until now, I wonder is it VW doing this to purposely confuse People ? I know it's wrecking my head lol.

Someone asked earlier should they really expect more than the GFMV ? no you should absolutely not. The dealers are very cleaver and all know what the price is going to be at the end because they fix it and when you go to trade it's highly unlikely they'll give you more for it, if it's worth more it will end in their pocket when they sell it. Go to another non vw dealer and they won't want anything to do with it, they'll take it and flog it to the trade for the lowest price.

The same happened with my leaf, no one wanted it, I could have brought it back to Nissan for another Leaf and maybe got a few hundred more at least but BMW wanted nothing to do with it and wouldn't even match the few hundred left on the PCP and when I was curious as to what I'd get for the i3 Rex none of the Kia dealers would give me near what was left on the PCP so let this be a clear indication to anyone reading that you should not expect anything more than the GFMV. When the i3 PCP is up I'm not expecting to get more than the GFMV.

Lads it's easier to just give figures in euro's than % I never saw anyone do this until now, I wonder is it VW doing this to purposely confuse People ? I know it's wrecking my head lol.

Someone asked earlier should they really expect more than the GFMV ? no you should absolutely not. The dealers are very cleaver and all know what the price is going to be at the end because they fix it and when you go to trade it's highly unlikely they'll give you more for it, if it's worth more it will end in their pocket when they sell it. Go to another non vw dealer and they won't want anything to do with it, they'll take it and flog it to the trade for the lowest price.

The same happened with my leaf, no one wanted it, I could have brought it back to Nissan for another Leaf and maybe got a few hundred more at least but BMW wanted nothing to do with it and wouldn't even match the few hundred left on the PCP and when I was curious as to what I'd get for the i3 Rex none of the Kia dealers would give me near what was left on the PCP so let this be a clear indication to anyone reading that you should not expect anything more than the GFMV. When the i3 PCP is up I'm not expecting to get more than the GFMV.

No one is saying expect more than GMFV.

People are being realistic. If you get more than GMFV then great, if you don't then you know exactly where you stand and what you need to pay to buy the car out.

Either way the buyer wants to minimize the cost of buying. You do this by paying less interest. A larger deposit will save you money on interest over the life of the PCP.

I've been through a few PCP cycles. Twice with VW and once with BMW. On the 2 runs with VW, I found it worked out very well. I came out of both cars with a healthy slice of equity. Unfortunately, on the last occasion I took that equity and put it into a deposit for a BMW. Almost 3 years later and I have fairly minimal equity in that car. VW are giving me an ok-ish trade in for the BMW, I still have a bit of equity, not as much as I'd like, but a bit.

So my experiences with VW / VW Bank have been pretty positive. I find that with the low APR and how they structure the deposit/GFV, you do OK overall. With 20k GFV on an ID3 I wouldn't be expecting significant equity but I'd be surprised if there isn't a little bit (~3k).

Re your Leaf and trading it into a BMW dealer - BMW dealers are among the worst for trade ins. They are notorious for low balling.

The ID Plan feels attractive to me because it feels low risk. I'm putting very little cash upfront into it and my monthly repayment would be similar enough to what I pay now, but the difference the last time was I put ~14k into a deposit, a good chunk of which is gone.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately you'll probably not make money, just get a free charger, which is still pretty good.

You can order the charger without being in possession of the car, you'll need to get your grant letter from the SEAI sorted first, that usually takes a week

How much is the VRT part of the car cost, I see they may be dropping the rate from 14% to 7% in the budget, would that signal they may scrap the 5k Vrt incentive?

VRT overhaul would see the price of a new car soar by €1,000

https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/vrt-overhaul-would-see-the-price-of-a-new-car-soar-by-1000-39531849.html

VRT would be basically 0 on the 1st and Plus after the rebate. Moving to a 7% rate and scrapping the rebate would make this around €2000-€2800 I think, although it's a bit early for math

No you can apply for the grant without actually having the EV, you'll need to send in a copy of the logbook when you're applying for your payment from SEAI in that case

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

Is a proper home charging point an absolute essential or could you kick that purchase down the road a bit and make do with a regular 3-pin plug for a while? e.g. if you had the car at 70-80% via a local fast charger, would the basic 3-pin plug be enough to top it out to 100% over night? Has anyone opted for the VW "ID Charger"? Product guide has it at €555 after grants.

Do the LED Matrix lights (in the plus model) have dynamic light assist or is it just basic light assist that's been in MK7 Golfs for years (where it just auto dips the main beam)? The spec says "Advanced high beam control" but its not clear what that means.

Early cars haven't got App Connect / CarPlay enabled right? Is there any word on when that can be enabled?

I'm told that VW Bank are currently offering to cover the first 3 months of repayments. Wondering how that works, is it refunded after the 3 months or just given to you upfront...

Sorry about all the questions ;)

I would say it makes owning an EV a lot more practical/convenient to have a home charge point and just use the fast chargers on longer journeys/wknd always. It’s also not recommended(for battery life) to use the fast chargers more than 2 out of 10 charges. I’m finding the programmed heating before I set of in the morning brilliant
    I believe the lights on the plus have ‘dynamic light’ assist. I don’t have that version so not 100%. I find the leds on the 1st model a big step up from the golf.

I think he said the software would be updated in January.

As regards the 1st movers club payment offer, if you purchased the car today your first payment will be in January and for the 33months after.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭pearsefitz

Just get one.
    To say its better than public is an understatement.
    I have been ev driver for 2 years now and for a period of moving house i used public chargers. Generally pre covid chargers are busy and people for most part are nice but there are some people that abused them. Even in covid times i have used the granny cable and its great.
    I know not all can install a charger.
    I got one on Amazon rolec €300 and installed it for 600. So after grant it was 300 ish out of pocket.
    When you notice the fuel savings month to month you forget about 300.
    Hope that helps first time ev drivers

I would say it makes owning an EV a lot more practical/convenient to have a home charge point and just use the fast chargers on longer journeys/wknd always. It’s also not recommended(for battery life) to use the fast chargers more than 2 out of 10 charges. I’m finding the programmed heating before I set of in the morning brilliant
    I believe the lights on the plus have ‘dynamic light’ assist. I don’t have that version so not 100%. I find the leds on the 1st model a big step up from the golf.

I think he said the software would be updated in January.

As regards the 1st movers club payment offer, if you purchased the car today your first payment will be in January and for the 33months after.

How is this documented? Do they write in the pcp quote -3 payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

You didn’t have any equity at the end of your PCP because either A No one wanted your 3 year old Leaf (Not PCPs fault) or B You were on a bad product.

I’ve been selling PCP for 6 years and I’ve never seen anyone with no equity, in fact some people coming back with certain cars have more than they put in day one. I did have a 3 year old 5 series traded in but again he was on a bad PCP product.

The Id plan people should expect no equity, PCP you certainly should. With Vw anyway

I’m finding the programmed heating before I set of in the morning brilliant

That's a neat feature for the frosty mornings. Is it via a phone app?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 fourthoffice

As Mad_Lad mentioned earlier it’s easier to give numbers rather then percentages, so here we go. We are picking up our Plus tomorrow and we have gone with the Plan. We have a trade in worth €15k, deposit is €4k, so we will get €11k back from the dealer. This is the updated quote I got yesterday with the reduced VAT and interest rate of 1.9%

Cost of car: 40,545.00
    Deposit: 4,000.00
    36 Monthly Payments of €493.01
    GMFV: 20,373.00

The reason we went with the Plan was as has been mentioned before it’s the least risk, the EV world is fast moving so not taking ownership appeals to us and the less then €500 a month fits our budget. Need to confirm tomorrow how the the 3 months free for First Movers Club will be applied

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Lads

anyone who can, get a home charger, its a no brainer and will make your ownership experience much better.

Advertisement