Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Did anyone opt for the white dash / steering wheel?! I saw one in the dealers.... not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Did anyone opt for the white dash / steering wheel?! I saw one in the dealers.... not for me.

Not me. I can hardly keep a black interior clean...

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

That white interior could work, but only in warmer sunnier climates IMHO. If you clean the car weekly interior and b out you it probably won’t be an issue.

Personally I’m not a fan of it. I know there was a video a bit back with range test and he seems to have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Is there much room in the price they are quoting - don't plan to take finance (paying cash) and have no car to trade-in, do you think the price is movable much?

Is there much room in the price they are quoting - don't plan to take finance (paying cash) and have no car to trade-in, do you think the price is movable much?

You can get regular finance and it will cost more per month but then you will have a car to trade but you'll pay for it, don't think anything more than the GFMV is a gift from VW you either pay for it by higher deposit and higher monthly payments or you drove a lot less kms than you thought.

You can just get regular finance over 5 years to keep monthly payments lower and trade it in in 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

ddarcy wrote: »
    I was told the exact same. I think they were covering themselves a bit and basically said expect it in early October / end September but it could be here as early as next week.

Next boat from Emden doesnt land in Ireland til right at the end of September.

You can get regular finance and it will cost more per month but then you will have a car to trade but you'll pay for it, don't think anything more than the GFMV is a gift from VW you either pay for it by higher deposit and higher monthly payments or you drove a lot less kms than you thought.

You can just get regular finance over 5 years to keep monthly payments lower and trade it in in 3 years.

Thats my plan - to trade in after 3 years but i'm buying this through my company to avail from the good tax-breaks so the accountant has said to buy it outright as that makes more sense economically - hence to why i'm thinking of just buying outright and not bother with any financing..

I haven't ever bought a new car but i would expect that the 'list price' is moveable or they will throw in some extras to sweeten the deal (maybe those days are gone and you pay whats on the brochure)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thats my plan - to trade in after 3 years but i'm buying this through my company to avail from the good tax-breaks so the accountant has said to buy it outright as that makes more sense economically - hence to why i'm thinking of just buying outright and not bother with any financing..

I haven't ever bought a new car but i would expect that the 'list price' is moveable or they will throw in some extras to sweeten the deal (maybe those days are gone and you pay whats on the brochure)

Have your accountant run the BIK figures on the car for you as well and make sure he includes it in your payroll or you'll be forking out for it next October.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I've been told the same thing. Just buy it.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Have your accountant run the BIK figures on the car for you as well and make sure he includes it in your payroll or you'll be forking out for it next October.

Thanks; i'll be sure the BIK is on my payslip from day 1 - they are a big accountancy company that look after all my payroll so i would expect (hope) they do all the leg work around the BIK

• Advertisement

Thanks; i'll be sure the BIK is on my payslip from day 1 - they are a big accountancy company that look after all my payroll so i would expect (hope) they do all the leg work around the BIK

Just because it's a big firm doesn't mean they do it right unfortunately.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Just because it's a big firm doesn't mean they do it right unfortunately.

What did you mean about paying for it 'next October'?

What did you mean about paying for it 'next October'?

If the BIK isn't included on your payroll then you're meant to disclose it on your income tax return. You file the 2020 return in October 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I thought there is no BIK?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jonnythefox

ddarcy wrote: »
    That white interior could work, but only in warmer sunnier climates IMHO. If you clean the car weekly interior and b out you it probably won’t be an issue.

Personally I’m not a fan of it. I know there was a video a bit back with range test and he seems to have it.

I took the plunge and went for the white interior.
    I know it’s a bit of a gamble but I thought it looked more modern and I’m not a huge fan of the piano black. Apparently they worked on the white interior alit to ensure it doesn’t discoloured and stained... we will wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I wonder is that turquoise colour as nice in person, looks savage. Something a bit different than white!

Anyone know the full tyre size? 215 seems a bit narrow for 19/20" wheels? Would hate for it to be an unusual size and have trouble finding Pilot Sport 4, P Zero etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I wonder is that turquoise colour as nice in person, looks savage. Something a bit different than white!

Anyone know the full tyre size? 215 seems a bit narrow for 19/20" wheels? Would hate for it to be an unusual size and have trouble finding Pilot Sport 4, P Zero etc.

215/55/18
    215/50/19
    215/45/20

All the premium brands have the 20s in that size

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Underside of the bonnet not painted...if this was Tesla. :eek:

Don't like that silly plastic part on the bonnet, looks like an afterthought.
    Apart from that -> Great car. Good range/specs for a very practical car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

My mum got the turquoise and it looks class I have to say, I'd have gone for it myself if I was getting the ID.3

When I looked at the tyre I think it said 215 for the full diameter, she got the plus model. I'll try to check again tomorrow when she picks up the car

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

My mum got the turquoise and it looks class I have to say, I'd have gone for it myself if I was getting the ID.3

When I looked at the tyre I think it said 215 for the full diameter, she got the plus model. I'll try to check again tomorrow when she picks up the car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

jusmeig wrote: »
    Underside of the bonnet not painted...if this was Tesla. :eek:

Don't like that silly plastic part on the bonnet, looks like an afterthought.
    Apart from that -> Great car. Good range/specs for a very practical car.

That plastic thing on the bonnet is the one thing I do not like about the design. I saw an image a few pages back of white plastic wrapping that was covering it in transport and matched the paint camouflaging it, looked way better!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If you’re buying it through a VAT registered company ask about the fleet discount.

My VW dealer kindly lent me their demo again, I have it for the night. I was very impressed with the car on Saturday. But if I'm honest, I'm feeling cooler on the idea now :( I really wanted to "love" it tonight, I was considering pulling the trigger on one, but now I'm hesitant.

My main bugbear is the seats. For some reason I didn't notice this on Saturday but I can't get comfortable in the car today. It feels too flat, not enough support, especially under the thigh. I feel too perched up in it, that "van-like" feeling. And yes I've lowered it as much as it will go and I'm only a short arse! I've been used to a BMW with the extendable seat base, so that's probably making it more apparent to me. My wife drove it and I went in passenger side and same issue. I think I'd find it tiring after a long motorway run.

Secondly, the dash doesn't feel like you're sitting in a 40k+ car. I'd live with it and if the seats were super snug I'd definitely see past it. The touch screens when on the move are extremely fiddly too.

On the positive side...
    the headlights are absolutely fantastic. Best headlights I've experienced in any car. The dynamic light assist is a brilliant feature.
    The other tech (adaptive cruise) is great too, I had that in Golfs before and really miss it in current car. The heated steering wheel is a nice feature too.
    The way the LED's light up and do a dance as you approach the car. Very cool! Very "Herbie"!

Anyway, overall I think its a nice car and VW have a surefire winner with it and I'll watch the future models (maybe a "GTI" version will have better seats!) with keen interest. Right now, I don't want it enough to commit to 500+ per/month on it and I don't want to rush into it just because there's "deals" going. There will always be deals again...

I'm glad I tried it out but I think I'll hold tight for another bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭fafy

I thought there is no BIK?

There is currently no BIK for private use of a fully electric company car, provided to “an employee”where the OMV is under €50k, the BIK exemption currently lasts until 2022, but is generally expected be extended, in the budget on October 8th.

From Revenue.ie:

“2019 to 2022 Extension of Exemption
    You may choose to make an electric car available to your employee for private use between now and 31 December 2020.

Where this occurs, no charge to BIK arises in respect of any use by your employee where either of the following apply:

the OMV of the car is €50,000 or less
    or
    you first made this car available to your employee between 10 October 2017 and 9 October 2018.
    Where neither of the above apply, only a partial exemption is available. This is granted by reducing the OMV by €50,000 when calculating the cash equivalent for the car.“

My main bugbear is the seats. For some reason I didn't notice this on Saturday but I can't get comfortable in the car today. It feels too flat, not enough support, especially under the thigh. I feel too perched up in it, that "van-like" feeling. And yes I've lowered it as much as it will go and I'm only a short arse! I've been used to a BMW with the extendable seat base, so that's probably making it more apparent to me. My wife drove it and I went in passenger side and same issue. I think I'd find it tiring after a long motorway run.

It's funny how we all have out likes and dislikes but I thought the seats were quite comfortable :)
    Secondly, the dash doesn't feel like you're sitting in a 40k+ car. I'd live with it and if the seats were super snug I'd definitely see past it. The touch screens when on the move are extremely fiddly too.

I agree with you on the dash, I think VW went too far with cost cutting, the worlds largest automaker could have done better after all, this is their first proper ev built from the ground up to be an eb and you'd think they would have had a lot better interior to make it a lot more attractive but the dealer told me they will have more options in the next couple of months and I would imagine different interior colours and sear fabrics would be available.

I don't like touchscreens in cars, they have their place in phones and tablets but not in a moving vehicle where the driver is supposed to be concentrating on the road not flicking through endless menus, they're a huge distraction and it's not a patch on BMW's Idrive system.
    Anyway, overall I think its a nice car and VW have a surefire winner with it and I'll watch the future models (maybe a "GTI" version will have better seats!) with keen interest. Right now, I don't want it enough to commit to 500+ per/month on it and I don't want to rush into it just because there's "deals" going. There will always be deals again...

I've a feeling it will sell in large numbers, could be the largest selling EV for 2021, if People can get over the interior they'll love it, nice to drive, decent power and rear wheel drive.

It's funny how we all have out likes and dislikes but I thought the seats were quite comfortable :)

Yeah everyone will perceive it differently. I’ve been spoiled in that regard for years. I’ve always had cars that had snug sporty well bolstered seats with plenty of adjustment. A good seat just makes a car feel a bit more special. I was worried that if it’s annoying me now, I might hate it over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

My dealer cant confirm a delivery date even though in the his latest Youtube tst Bob Flavin says that VW have surplus ID's in Ireland waiting for orders.

Anybody thinking of postponing till January and getting a non 1st ?

Had a test drive yesterday with my mum in her ID.3 Plus. She hasn't collected yet as insurance company is playing silly buggers, but we were able to drive it around the industrial estate for a bit.

I have to say that I was very impressed with the interior, didn't seem low grade at all and there was plenty of space in both front and back. Boot seemed a decent size too, must see if the kids double buggy will fit, in case I need to borrow it to go on a staycation (once Dublin is out of lockdown that is)

I didn't realise how chunky the car is in real life. It's Golf sized but it seems a lot bigger, I think the raked windscreen and high roofline give it the appearance of being a larger car

Interestingly the car feels heavy compared to the Leaf, not sluggish by any means but at low speeds it seems quite planted to the ground. We gave it some juice on one of the straights and was very impressed with the acceleration :D

Infotainment seemed pretty decent although we didn't get a chance to play around with it for long, my one complaint is that it might be a bit unintuitive at first glance. I always rate these things against a smartphone or a tablet, people can figure out smartphones very quickly even if they've never used them before, I feel car infotainment systems should be the same

Hopefully she's picking the car up today or tomorrow, so I'll be able to give more details soon

• Advertisement

My dealer cant confirm a delivery date even though in the his latest Youtube tst Bob Flavin says that VW have surplus ID's in Ireland waiting for orders.

Anybody thinking of postponing till January and getting a non 1st ?

You could always ring around other dealers to see if they have some surplus? Nothing stops you from cancelling your order for another dealer

Advertisement