Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Irishjg wrote: »
    Could work out at at 230km Motorway winter range and add in another 180km from a 45 minute top up. That’s good enough for most people’s needs.

Throw in a buffer so you don't arrive at a broken charge point with zero range. Somewhere North of 200km motorway range in that case. 250km if your trip doesn't require a top up on route. Decent, but given its battery size and it's an EV from the ground up, it's a little disappointing when compared to the ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Throw in a buffer so you don't arrive at a broken charge point with zero range. Somewhere North of 200km motorway range in that case. 250km if your trip doesn't require a top up on route. Decent, but given its battery size and it's an EV from the ground up, it's a little disappointing when compared to the ioniq.

The original Ioniq is a super car to be fair, great bit of kit considering it’s battery size. I would say however the Ioniq 2.0 is disappointing when compared to the 28kWh.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,169 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm not getting inspired with much confidence here, thought I'd complete one of my regular runs without having to stop in a garage for a charge. I usually have minutes to spare to pick up the kids, definitely don't have an hour buffer. Broken charge point or waiting to use one would scupper me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I'm not getting inspired with much confidence here, thought I'd complete one of my regular runs without having to stop in a garage for a charge. I usually have minutes to spare to pick up the kids, definitely don't have an hour buffer. Broken charge point or waiting to use one would scupper me.

Not trying to be smart but why would you buy an EV is a 200km/250 motorway speed range isn’t enough with only having “minutes to spare”?

ddarcy wrote: »
    [url] https://www.volkswagen.ie/en/offers-and-products/new-car-offers/id-finance-and-care.html[/url]

I’d say it’s the most spec’d out offer, so would include tyres. So the “L” plan. I would probably skip that unless the id.3 eats through tyres...

Yes you can be sure the id.3 will eat tyres, all that torque form 0 and if People are having fun in it it will be a tyre shredded, well worth it though! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

100kWh will be needed for family car's

Been saying that for years

Having to stop for a Dublin to Cork, Dublin to Limerick trip in Winter from an EV built from the ground up by best engineers in the world in a 60kWh EV in 2020 is embarrassing tbh

ID3 is Leaf thirsty at motorway speeds :pac:

VW gave Bjorn the ID3 last for a reason lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,298 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Has anyone had any luck getting the online owners manual? I tried putting my mum's vin into the uk site (can't find the Irish one) and the general vw site but it keeps saying vin not found :(

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

L-M wrote: »
    Not trying to be smart but why would you buy an EV is a 200km/250 motorway speed range isn’t enough with only having “minutes to spare”?

Maybe because you'd expect closer to 300km from a modern 60kWh EV at motorway speeds, not 200/250km

We had nearly 200km from Ioniq years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 28,169 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

L-M wrote: »

It's advertised as 425km, was expecting maybe 250km motorway range with about 75km for normal roads. I wasn't expecting to have to cut the claimed range in half.
    I thought that was a reasonable expectation.

Check out the link below for a very good look into VW's MEB platform and shows that the battery is both heated and cooled which may or may not be good news for cold battery charging. I expect that charging at 50Kw stations won't see a huge decrease in charging power but expecting 100 Kw with a cold battery is just wishful thinking. However if cold enough charging at 50 Kw could see much less so, the question is, what are the prerequisites for battery heating ?

Is there an option to preheat the battery on the way to a fast charger like the model 3 ? if preheating from the mains does it also heat the battery and if it does does it heat it to allow maximum charging power ?

For example, the BMW i3 heats to 10 Deg C Max and it's only purpose is to allow max acceleration and regen power, fast charging wasn't even in the minds of BMW engineers and if the i3 battery is cold enough charging power can be as little as 22 Kw shown at the DC charger itself which is a long way off the 53 Kw max when it's around 21 Deg C. But in the i3 if you start off on a cold frosty morning on a long trip with a pre-heated battery by the time you need to charge it will have warmed up enough to allow max charging power however, if stopped over night and need a fast charger the next morning charging can be very slow as battery temp drops over night.

So, will the id.3 be the same, heat only for max acceleration and regen ?

What the i3 does have is one of the best if not the best cooling systems out there because it's cooled directly by AC, no water involved and it's a very simple and light system.

In the article in the link below it shows the coolant pipes for the battery so there's no reason the coolant heater can't heat the battery and it also uses motor heat for cabin heat saving electric heating, what is confusing is that it mentions optional heat pump, I thought heat pump was standard in the id.3 ?

https://jalopnik.com/the-fascinating-engineering-behind-vws-electric-car-pla-1829257860

• Advertisement

Irishjg wrote: »
    The original Ioniq is a super car to be fair, great bit of kit considering it’s battery size. I would say however the Ioniq 2.0 is disappointing when compared to the 28kWh.

It's charging speed is but it must have much longer range which would mean less fast charging ?

Lumen wrote: »
    Bjorn did 1000km in 10:48.

That's about midway between Model 3 LR and Kona, and only 18 minutes slower than an SR+.

Pretty good!

Little bit thirsty though, he predicts 250Wh/km in winter at 120kph.

Link to spreadsheet, not updated yet

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V6ucyFGKWuSQzvI8lMzvvWJHrBS82echMVJH37kwgjE/edit?usp=drivesdk

Charging curve looks great, still pulling 50kW at 80%, 75kW at 50%, 100kW at 30%

Think that makes up for poor range

Except the id.3 is a lot more fun, a lot more power and rear wheel drive, though admittedly the ioniq hasn't the power for front wheel drive traction to be much of an issue.

If I had to make a choice I would take the id.3 over an Ioniq any day, why ? because it's much faster, more fun and it would meet most of my driving needs and charges fast enough for the odd time I need it, though we still don't know how winter will effect charging speed at a 150 Kw charger.

+ the id.3 has 11 Kw charging at Public AC points which might not sound like a lot over an ioniq but it it good when you need it.

Except the id.3 is a lot more fun, a lot more power and rear wheel drive, though admittedly the ioniq hasn't the power for front wheel drive traction to be much of an issue.

If I had to make a choice I would take the id.3 over an Ioniq any day, why ? because it's much faster, more fun and it would meet most of my driving needs and charges fast enough for the odd time I need it, though we still don't know how winter will effect charging speed at a 150 Kw charger.

+ the id.3 has 11 Kw charging at Public AC points which might not sound like a lot over an ioniq but it it good when you need it.

Not saying the id3 isn't the better car, but the range of it from a 50kWh battery is disappointing compared to the range in the ioniq with its 28kWh battery.

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Charging curve looks great, still pulling 50kW at 80%, 75kW at 50%, 100kW at 30%

Think that makes up for poor range

Warm battery speeds though, but yeah still impressive, nothing like the Etron sadly but few cars have a charging curve like the etron if any.

That's what I said in my previous post, the id.3 would meet all my normal driving on a single charge + faster driving on the motorway to and from work and if I have 250 kms from 100% a 30 min fast charge has the potential to get me another 180-200 kms that's not bad.

On a good day it tool me 30 mins to get from 20-85% in my old 24 Kwh leaf to replace maybe 13 Kwh, in the id.3 you can replace 30 Kwh in 20 mins, not bad. A cold battery and that could have taken 50 mins in the leaf.

Sadly the id.3 doesn't have traffic assist, but hopefully it will be an option later on and I wouldn't pay more than a model 3 sr+ to get the max.

100kWh will be needed for family car's

Been saying that for years
    l

I get your sentiment, but I'd change it slightly to say 300km winter range will be needed for family cars. At least that's my benchmark. Doesn't need to be a massive 100kWh battery to do it, just more efficient than these lot. Tesla proved that with the S years ago.

I get your sentiment, but I'd change it slightly to say 300km winter range will be needed for family cars. At least that's my benchmark. Doesn't need to be a massive 100kWh battery to do it, just more efficient than these lot. Tesla proved that with the S years ago.

True doesn't need to be 100kWh

Ioniq would do it with ID3 battery

If I had to make a choice I would take the id.3 over an Ioniq any day, why ? because it's much faster, more fun.

Seen as you've drive them all

Faster than Kona or slower to 100km/h?

Bjorns results will be up soon

I dont think its quicker than Kona, that thing moved when it hooked, Leaf 62kWh felt quicker too

Seen as you've drive them all

Faster than Kona or slower to 100km/h?

Bjorns results will be up soon

I dont think its quicker than Kona, that thing moved when it hooked, Leaf 62kWh felt quicker too

I didn't test them via gps app on the phone so I can't say 100% but the id.3 did feel faster than the Kona, E-Soul + here's the really important factor, the traction on the id.3 is many times better than the Kona and E-Soul even in the dry and I'm sure in the wet, this traction loss in the Kona and E-soul has a dramatic effect to 0-100, it's not much of an issue in the ioniq because it doesn't have the power, I don't know why Hyundai gave the ioniq such little power.

+ the id.3 felt more powerful above 100 Km/hr.

The id.3 is a hell of a lot quieter than the Kona. It really is a quiet car even at 120 km/hr where as the Kona would almost require ear protectors.

I haven't driven the leaf 62 but again, traction is the real limitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

Well, I am happy so far with all the figures I have seen.

Driven normally on the roads (Non Motorway) that I frequent, expecting good range. Just a pity there is no Ionity on the southern corridor (Wexford to Cork).

Looking forward to collecting my 1st tomorrow at 4pm, was told to bring Cr card so he can sort out App and charging card for me. Dealer sent me a teaser..:).

GJOXBL1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

eagerv wrote: »

Driven normally on the roads (Non Motorway) that I frequent, expecting good range. Just a pity there is no Ionity on the southern corridor (Wexford to Cork).

Looking forward to collecting my 1st tomorrow at 4pm, was told to bring Cr card so he can sort out App and charging card for me. Dealer sent me a teaser..:).

GJOXBL1.jpg
    I haven’t registered my card just yet. You’ll enjoy the car!

eagerv wrote: »

GJOXBL1.jpg

That interior looks far better, even if it uses the same plastics. Is that your one ? how did you get that interior ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That interior looks far better, even if it uses the same plastics. Is that your one ? how did you get that interior ?

That's the base model interior

TitianGerm wrote: »
    That's the base model interior

Really ? that's amazing lol. Pity that colour can't be got in the Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The dash colour or the seats?

Its more or less the same as the Plus interior except a little darker on soft part of dash. And seats are cloth covered.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    The dash colour or the seats?

dash.

Yes it's my one, I like the minimalist interior. Looking forward to tomorrow.

The drive home will be a trip I have done so many times in our Ioniq and know exactly what the kWh/100km is on a given day. So will drive the ID.3 in same manner so will give me a very good idea range compared to Ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

How many km's is your regular run? Is it all motorway?

BatteryLife youtuber got 270km driving at 130km/h (GPS).

Drop down to 120km/h for our motorways and obviously it will go further.

That allows Cork-Dublin without a stop.

How it behaves in winter is anyones guess yet.

Maybe because you'd expect closer to 300km from a modern 60kWh EV at motorway speeds, not 200/250km

We had nearly 200km from Ioniq years ago

It does do closer to 300km though. Not sure where the 200km figures are coming from. :confused:

At 130km/h the Ioniq wont do be anywhere near 200km. Isnt it more like 170km @ 120km/h, less again in winter and thats allowing no buffer?

If we are allowing buffers of 50km's to count in the figures the Ioniq is closer to 120km!

The Ioniq is highly efficient but you wont be just doubling the battery capacity in the ID.3 and hence doubling the range. If the ID.3 can do 280-300km @ 120km/h I think thats a respectable figure along with its 100kW charging it is a much better motorway cruiser than Ioniq... particularly for this country.... Cork-Dublin without stopping (or at most a 10min stop).

It's advertised as 425km, was expecting maybe 250km motorway range with about 75km for normal roads. I wasn't expecting to have to cut the claimed range in half.
    I thought that was a reasonable expectation.

As above, it has been proven to do well in excess of 250km @ 130km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

In perfect temps that we rarely enjoy in Ireland yes. Luckily we seem to have very honest ID3 owners on this forum so I’m hoping we’ll get very accurate and honest winter range reports rather than the downright pack of lies on other media from Tesla owners who are blatantly inflating their cars winter ROC and range abilities.

Advertisement