Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

Irishjg wrote: »
    In perfect temps that we rarely enjoy in Ireland yes. Luckily we seem to have very honest ID3 owners on this forum so I’m hoping we’ll get very accurate and honest winter range reports rather than the downright pack of lies on other media from Tesla owners who are blatantly inflating their cars winter ROC and range abilities.

Take everything you read with a pinch of salt here.
    I remember a poster here stretching the truth about his ioniq and another member bought one on his review only to he was telling porkies.
    Now he's the poster child for another brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,169 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

KCross wrote: »
    How many km's is your regular run? Is it all motorway?

Round trip it's 225km motorway with 95km of ordinary roads. The mrs was going to use it for commuting to Dublin a couple of days a week her trip is 260km motorway with 30km ordinary roads.
    It's very tight...battery life was in a plus and I assume bjorn was in a max, the standard one should do better on a motorway run.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Round trip it's 225km motorway with 95km of ordinary roads. The mrs was going to use it for commuting to Dublin a couple of days a week her trip is 260km motorway with 30km ordinary roads.
    It's very tight...battery life was in a plus and I assume bjorn was in a max, the standard one should do better on a motorway run.

so first trip is 320km? and second is 290 but mostly motorway

i wouldnt like to be betting on that in january.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Cyrus wrote: »
    so first trip is 320km? and second is 290 but mostly motorway

i wouldnt like to be betting on that in january.

Total journey is 225 I think. 95km on normal roads and 130km on motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

Bjorns' testing over the weekend was in a Base 1st.

He said someone else had taken his Plus, but I have a feeling it was planned by VW..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Take everything you read with a pinch of salt here.
    I remember a poster here stretching the truth about his ioniq and another member bought one on his review only to he was telling porkies.
    Now he's the poster child for another brand.

Just because a driver can get the best efficiency out of his EV doesn't mean he's telling 'porkies'. EVs are very sensitive to the driver's style and use case. Anyone buying an EV and then driving it like he stole is likely to be disappointed by the resulting range.

An efficient driver will be an efficient driver, no matter which brand he currently drives.

Snide remarks are a cowardly way to add to a discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The 260km might be tight on a bad winters day but a 10min stop will be enough. Surely thats acceptable on a 260km journey?

If not, then a 60kWh EV is not good enough for your needs.

Are you still sticking to the idea that the different trim levels have different ranges for the same battery?! :pac:

Your car will be almost the same as the plus and the max. The difference will be miniscule. There is no short or long range 1st edition.... all the same.

The 260km might be tight on a bad winters day but a 10min stop will be enough. Surely thats acceptable on a 260km journey?

Are you still sticking to the idea that the different trim levels have different ranges for the same battery?! :pac:

Your car will be almost the same as the plus and the max. The difference will be miniscule. There is no short or long range 1st edition.... all the same.

even if your wife plugged in a granny cable (if its a commute) during the day youd be fine. is there any provision for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Maerlokw

Have a lot of people received their cars or at least have dates when they're getting them?
    I still don't know anything from my dealer, no delivery pickup date/estimate whatsoever.

Not sure if it's good to be calling and asking or if they would even know, but even an estimate would be super nice.

Slowing up from say 120 to 110 will make a big difference to range I am sure.
    And probably only add about 6 mins to each trip

• Advertisement

Just getting organised for my pickup this afternoon from Dealer.

I will be going for the 1st Movers service plan, which he clarified will be the Large Service Plan, which includes free service, pollen filter, brake pads, wipers and 1 set of tyres.

Yea it wouldn't take much of a charge 10/15 minutes would go a long way, we've 2 cars so can always take the diesel if under pressure.

Still sticking with the standard has the better range, it's what VW used to do the test where they got 531km. It's even listed in the brochure with a different range and a lot higher city range.

I'd love to rent one for a day, is there any rentals out there yet?

For anyone getting the €1000 back on the charger do you know if it needs to be installed by Elli as well or can any registered electrician install it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Still sticking with the standard has the better range, it's what VW used to do the test where they got 531km. It's even listed in the brochure with a different range and a lot higher city range.

I'd love to rent one for a day, is there any rentals out there yet?

There is a 5km difference between the 1st and 1st Plus, basically a meaningless distinction. It's caused by the extra power required to accelerate the heavier car. You will probably see exactly the same power efficiency gain by making your passenger take the bus instead of sitting next to you.

It's basic pointless to make a distinction on the range of the 58kWh models based on the specification picked, anyone doing so is likely to be disappointed that the effect was so minor.

liamog wrote: »
    There is a 5km difference between the 1st and 1st Plus, basically a meaningless distinction.

The city range is way higher, it was posted ages ago, don't have to hand, it was official VW marketing material from Germany. I'll see can I find it later...
    If it was meaningless why did VW hide the standard all along then use it for the long range test, there's more 5km in it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The city range is way higher, it was posted ages ago, don't have to hand, it was official VW marketing material from Germany. I'll see can I find it later...
    If it was meaningless why did VW hide the standard all along then use it for the long range test, there's more 5km in it.

In real world, you just won't see that much difference, you will have the same impact on total range by carrying a passenger. It's really not worth including in your decision making process. If the range is borderline enough for it to have made a difference, you will probably be left stuck on days where the wind blows the wrong direction.

id imagine any range difference is due the different wheel sizes between the two, its 18" v 19" isnt it.

anyway it wont be material, its the same battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Maerlokw wrote: »
    Have a lot of people received their cars or at least have dates when they're getting them?
    I still don't know anything from my dealer, no delivery pickup date/estimate whatsoever.

Not sure if it's good to be calling and asking or if they would even know, but even an estimate would be super nice.

My dealership told me just now that the ferry comes in at the end of the week. They said should be registered next week. So that should be the next batch anyways.

Obviously all this assumes no issues in transport, but even then I’d say by end of next week more should be getting theirs.

liamog wrote: »
    In real world, you just won't see that much difference, you will have the same impact on total range by carrying a passenger. It's really not worth including in your decision making process. If the range is borderline enough for it to have made a difference, you will probably be left stuck on days where the wind blows the wrong direction.

Depends on whether your coming or going as well, I know 40mpg is easy in the ice going one direction but it's close to 32mpg going the other direction.

Just looking at one of the graphs here the eGolf has a WLTP of 222km in winter versus 198km real world.
    That's a 32kWh battery versus the 58kWh (64kWh) in the ID3.

If you drive slow enough you'll get 531km out of any of them. Thats a meaningless test and even more meaningless when travelling at 120km/h as the majority of the energy will be in breaking through the air not the weight difference of the cars.

If you look at the official stats from VW, the WLTP power consumption figures are 15.5, 15.7 and 16.1kWh/100km for the 1st, plus and max.

Thats a difference of just 0.6kWh/100km. Thats a miniscule difference. You need to let go of the idea that the 1st will go further than the max... technically it will, but you wont notice it its so small.

Same body shape, same battery, same motor output.... same range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

Depends on whether your coming or going as well, I know 40mpg is easy in the ice going one direction but it's close to 32mpg going the other direction.

Just looking at one of the graphs here the eGolf has a WLTP of 222km in winter versus 198km real world.
    That's a 32kWh battery versus the 58kWh (64kWh) in the ID3.

The wind makes a massive difference to economy in my 2.0 diesel, especially at high speeds on motorway it could easily be 10% worse heading into the wind. It has to make the same kind of difference in an ev too? Presume the tests are all out and back

Casati wrote: »
    The wind makes a massive difference to economy in my 2.0 diesel, especially at high speeds on motorway it could easily be 10% worse heading into the wind. It has to make the same kind of difference in an ev too? Presume the tests are all out and back

Yeah it does, the lowest range I saw in our Ioniq was driving into a winter storm with headwinds down the M1, only got 145km that day, usual winter range is around 165km.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Would pre-heating keep the windscreen clear of ice in the winter?

How much does preheating typically effect range in an EV?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Would pre-heating keep the windscreen clear or ice in the winter?

How much does preheating typically effect range in an EV?

Yesterday I turned on the climate set to 21C when outside temp was 12.5 and my range guesstimate instantly dropped by 30km (284km down to 254km). The attached chart (shared on fb) shows the correlation between the range and outside temp for cars with and w/o heat pump. For our cars at 12.5C the drop in range is ab 30km or 10%. Below 5C it might drop by 60 km or ab 20%.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

TitianGerm wrote: »
    For anyone getting the €1000 back on the charger do you know if it needs to be installed by Elli as well or can any registered electrician install it?

The grant is €600, unless I missed something and VW are topping that up.

For the €600 grand, and SEAI registered electrician must fit it.

The grant is €600, unless I missed something and VW are topping that up.

For the €600 grand, and SEAI registered electrician must fit it.

VW are giving cash back of €1000 on the charger as one of the First Mover incentives.

Yesterday I turned on the climate set to 21C when outside temp was 12.5 and my range guesstimate instantly dropped by 30km (284km down to 254km). The attached chart (shared on fb) shows the correlation between the range and outside temp for cars with and w/o heat pump. For our cars at 12.5C the drop in range is ab 30km or 10%. Below 5C it might drop by 60 km or ab 20%.

As an additional point, VW have said that having a heat pump will save 30% of the range relative to not having it..... and the 1st edition here doesn have a heat pump so I think we can expect a decent drop in range in winter....

From VW about their heat pump...
    https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/electric/research/software-and-technology/heat-pump
    This reduces the load on the battery capacity by approximately 3 to 4 kWh/100 km, increasing the range in winter by up to 30% in temperatures as low as -25°C

We dont get anything close to -25°C so I wouldnt expect a 30% drop and if you use cabin pre-heating it would further reduce the amount of draw the heating has so maybe 10-20% range drop(?)... but more testing required over the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heron_joe

ddarcy wrote: »
    My dealership told me just now that the ferry comes in at the end of the week. They said should be registered next week. So that should be the next batch anyways.

Obviously all this assumes no issues in transport, but even then I’d say by end of next week more should be getting theirs.

Same for me, due to reach Dublin Port at the weekend. For those of you who have already received it, any idea on lead time from port to collecting in dealers garage in the west?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

They're also bringing then in through Ringaskiddy in Cork. Good for the South but makes for slower times for the rest of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭McHonda

Mine arrived into Cork on Friday 4th, only got to dealers last Thursday and picking it up this week

Advertisement