Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Maerlokw

eagerv wrote: »
    Congrats, enjoy.

My We Charge card setup worked first time last night, using the same selection as you used. I think I used my PC, perhaps I was just lucky.
    I also activated the card, which perhaps I shouldn't have done as could be a while before I will be using Ionity.

Oh nice, what website on the PC did you use to setup the card? I tried looking online but everything points to just using the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭eagerv

Maerlokw wrote: »
    Oh nice, what website on the PC did you use to setup the card? I tried looking online but everything points to just using the app.

I corrected my post above, I used the phone app alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Maerlokw wrote: »
    Received my car today, very happy as well. Has anyone been able to setup and activate the Elli We Charge card? I try to go into We Charge from the app, select charging on the go, then select the plan which has the 2,000 KWh free it loads and says Oops try again later. So can't get my free charging all working. Any suggestions?

There's lots of problems with enrolment in the We Charge App. If you can get past that screen it gets you to put in a credit card number aswell, but it doesn't take any money.
    Mine is showing charging sessions, I've had 2 so far, and lots of other details but on the home screen it's just blank. I've been on to the support twice now about it but because it has been escalated to Germany he said that I'll have to be patient for a few days more until they can sort it out.
    You could try to get the QR code on the screen again and see if that helps.

encouraging reports of range, motor efficiency and quietness from BatteryLife and TeslaBjoern channels on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

My stats so far are 15.2kwh/100km over 330km of driving since last Friday. On the way back from work todsy I managed 9.9kWh/100km, although it was mainly downhill. As far as i remember the morning on the way to work I had 14.2 over thr 24km. Funny enough, the since charge trip meter was showing ab 14.8 when I came home instead of 9.9kwh. Though it includes running the preheating for a while when I was trying to unlock the cable after getting a charging error (see photo). This the 1st message I have ever recived. I had use the manual release in the boot as pressing the unlock button on the remote didn't release it (the light at the charging port was red). The app is very limited at the moment, the state of charge is in 5% increments and it doesn't update too often. The preheating works but takes ages to sync with the car. No messages or warning are available.

• Advertisement

encouraging reports of range, motor efficiency and quietness from BatteryLife and TeslaBjoern channels on youtube.

Yeah I just saw it and one of the first things I noticed was how quiet it was when I test drove it and that was on the crap road surface they put on the m9 after the Castledermot turn off. It must be really quite on the m7 3 lanes.

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Yeah I just saw it and one of the first things I noticed was how quiet it was when I test drove it and that was on the crap road surface they put on the m9 after the Castledermot turn off. It must be really quite on the m7 3 lanes.

Fixed that for ya

Fixed that for ya

Ta im on the tablet tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Took mine out for a drive in the dark last might and I'm very happy with the led lights on the plus ( I think for me, they are well worth at least half of the premium of the plus over the first). Very bright and good visibility along the dyke, when facing oncoming traffic.

I'm not impressed with the wiper controls. I'd assumed they'd be automatic and I couldn't figure out how to get the intermittant function to work. This should be seamless so maybe mine is faulty.

The windscreen is excellent though with the water on it due to the wipers being anoying not obstructing the wiev at all.

Took mine out for a drive in the dark last might and I'm very happy with the led lights on the plus ( I think for me, they are well worth at least half of the premium of the plus over the first). Very bright and good visibility along the dyke, when facing oncoming traffic.

I'm not impressed with the wiper controls. I'd assumed they'd be automatic and I couldn't figure out how to get the intermittant function to work. This should be seamless so maybe mine is faulty.

The windscreen is excellent though with the water on it due to the wipers being anoying not obstructing the wiev at all.

In the light drizzle last night mine worked perfectly.

However I am less impressed with the wipers not being changed over for RHD cars. The lead wiper is on the Left side, so at end of single wipe it leaves a water streak right in the drivers eye line. Not so much of a problem when wipers working continuously. Also the lead wiper runs right up to A pillar but drivers' wiper misses an inch or so, because of the settled start position.
    Set them in the service position and you will see what I mean.

Edit. Check the automatic setting is activated in vehicle settings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

In the light drizzle last night mine worked perfectly.

However I am less impressed with the wipers not being changed over for RHD cars. The lead wiper is on the Left side, so at end of single wipe it leaves a water streak right in the drivers eye line. Not so much of a problem when wipers working continuously. Also the lead wiper runs right up to A pillar but drivers' wiper misses an inch or so, because of the settled start position.
    Set them in the service position and you will see what I mean.

You would imagine that this is something that could be changed in software, but they didn't see it as an issue. Maybe it needs different wiper arms, as the angles might be different. It would be fairly annoying if you were using the screen wash, as it would nearly always leave that streak in front of the driver.

I'd be putting in a call to the dealer, and escalating to VW Ireland if necessary.

You would imagine that this is something that could be changed in software, but they didn't see it as an issue. Maybe it needs different wiper arms, as the angles might be different. It would be fairly annoying if you were using the screen wash, as it would nearly always leave that streak in front of the driver.

I'd be putting in a call to the dealer, and escalating to VW Ireland if necessary.

Already mentioned to my dealer, who will bring it up with VW

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Basically another 270km range result when driving at night at 120km/h and the temp was 13°C.
    400km result at 90km/h.

The results are at least consistent across the reviewers.

And that was in a base model... so no extra range there drunkmonkey! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

KCross wrote: »
    Basically another 270km range result when driving at night at 120km/h and the temp was 13°C.
    400km result at 90km/h.

The results are at least consistent across the reviewers.

And that was in a base model... so no extra range there drunkmonkey! ;)

I think Bjorn would do more in D mode. I think it is better suited for motorway drive.

As we know the rear brakes on the ID.3 are drum brakes... obviously money saving effort on VW's part but it got me thinking... does ABS work with drum brakes? I presume not?

So, if ABS only works on the front does that really matter since the wheels that are going to skid are likely going to be the fronts anyway?

What are the disadvantages of having drum brakes in the rear because I assume the car does stop like any other.... I didnt do any 100-0 test during my own test drive... anyone try it?

Basically, does it really matter considering its not a performance car?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

As we know the rear brakes on the ID.3 are drum brakes... obviously money saving effort on VW's part but it got me thinking... does ABS work with drum brakes? I presume not?

So, if ABS only works on the front does that really matter since the wheels that are going to skid are likely going to be the fronts anyway?

What are the disadvantages of having drum brakes in the rear because I assume the car does stop like any other.... I didnt do any 100-0 test during my own test drive... anyone try it?

most of the braking on an ev is regenerative anyway isnt it so maybe friction based brake stopping power isnt as important?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Cyrus wrote: »
    most of the braking on an ev is regenerative anyway isnt it so maybe friction based brake stopping power isnt as important?

Rear brakes don't need to be powerful, because under heavy braking the weight shifts to the front and so you need hardly any power to lock the rears.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The justification given by VW was that the car has enough braking power with the front brakes and regen to mean that higher power disc brakes aren't needed on the rear.

VW engineers discussed the use of drum brakes on MEB when launching the ID. Buggy concept.
    VW spokesman Jochen Tekotte said engineers preferred the rear-drum setup thanks to its lower rolling resistance, ability to withstand corrosion better than disc brakes, and effectiveness because they’re used far less than the front discs and rotors
    https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1124600_first-drive-review-vw-id-buggy-electric-car-meb-platform

Alot of it is regen , yes. I wouldnt say most though.

And the fronts are where you need the most of your braking power in an emergency, hence why its not drums up front.

Just wondering about the ABS side of things and whether it really matters at all.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

As far as I can tell, it works the same, ABS is just the mechanism for preventing the lock by varying the hydraulic pressure, drum brakes are compatible with ABS.

• Advertisement

Just wondering about the ABS side of things and whether it really matters at all.
    You can have ABS on drums.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

That's true, also disc brakes actually suffer from under use on EVs because of the regen. This causes corrosion and dirt to build up on the discs which decreases braking performance (and also creates an annoying squeak)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

After two days of driving my ID.3 I am very happy with the brakes, natural feel and powerful, more so than other EVs I have driven.

Would imagine the cost savings to VW would be minimal if any by fitting drums on the rear. Bjorn mentioned the reliability problems with RWD discs in some climates in one of his videos.

liamog wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, it works the same, ABS is just the mechanism for preventing the lock by varying the hydraulic pressure, drum brakes are compatible with ABS.
    Lumen wrote: »
    You can have ABS on drums.

ok, I thought that maybe the action of the brake pulsating during ABS activation just wouldnt be quick enough in a drum relative to a disc setup.
    VW spokesman Jochen Tekotte said engineers preferred the rear-drum setup thanks to its lower rolling resistance, ...

How is that I wonder?
    ... ability to withstand corrosion better than disc brakes, and effectiveness because they’re used far less than the front discs and rotors

The corrosion thing Im not convinced about. The Leaf that I put 100k km's on didnt have any issues with any of the 4 disc. Maybe it matters in some climates.
    Bjorn mentioned the reliability problems with RWD discs in some climates in one of his videos.

Sticking I presume would be the problem in Norway with their freezing temps? And do drums "fix" that for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The corrosion thing Im not convinced about. The Leaf that I put 100k km's didnt have any issues with any of the 4 disc. Maybe it matters in some climates.

Sticking I presume would be the problem in Norway with their freezing temps? And do drums "fix" that for them?

might depend on the set up and how much regen is a factor, im led to believe that most of the breaking in my e-tron is regen and very little is actual mechanical.

The corrosion thing Im not convinced about. The Leaf that I put 100k km's didnt have any issues with any of the 4 disc. Maybe it matters in some climates.

We had pretty ugly looking corrosion on the Ioniq's disc brakes. I think it was cosmetic rather than an actual problem, nothing that a hard braking session can't resolve.

As far as I know, the main reason to avoid drum brakes is due to brake fade caused by heat build up, with the regen they must of calculated it's not going to be a problem and so won't affect the performance of the car.

Don't think it was sticking, but could be wrong. I thought he mentioned because of low usage of rear discs the pads never warmed up enough to dispel moisture and cracked and caused disc wear also.

There are loads of cars over the years that have had unnecessary rear disk brakes.

The problem was that customers wanted big alloy wheels, and when you put big alloy wheels on the drum brakes look crap. So you put disk brakes on that are far in excess of the braking force that the rear tyres can handle.

Now that EVs are often specced with near-solid wheels, the engineers can be left to engineer. Until some smartarse on the internet starts mocking the owners for having sh!t brakes on their 50k car. :pac:

Lumen wrote: »
    There are loads of cars over the years that have had unnecessary rear disk brakes.

The problem was that customers wanted big alloy wheels, and when you put big alloy wheels on the drum brakes look crap. So you put disk brakes on that are far in excess of the braking force that the rear tyres can handle.

Now that EVs are often specced with near-solid wheels, the engineers can be left to engineer. Until some smartarse on the internet starts mocking the owners for having sh!t brakes on their 50k car. :pac:

You have to look quite hard to notice the rear drums on my base ID.3. And they look to be quite big drums.

As I mentioned earlier, very happy with the brakes so far...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Just don't paint them like some wannabe boy racer, then they'll stand out ;)

Advertisement