Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

The rear drum is an easy "fix"

zork4zeqegu41.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

liamog wrote: »
    We had pretty ugly looking corrosion on the Ioniq's disc brakes. I think it was cosmetic rather than an actual problem, nothing that a hard braking session can't resolve.

As far as I know, the main reason to avoid drum brakes is due to brake fade caused by heat build up, with the regen they must of calculated it's not going to be a problem and so won't affect the performance of the car.

Same with my Leaf, there's a bit of corrosion building up on the discs. Braking is still fine, but they do squeak for a while when I've left the car for a few days

Must check if the front brake is worse, since that's the regen axle on the Leaf

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Whatever about drum brakes, it's the lack of a reversing camera on the base model that shocks me. This is an essential piece of equipment for any car that is likely to find itself on a driveway with children about.

There's a very good reason why they're mandated on all new cars in the US, and (AFAIK) about to be in the EU, and that's that they've been shown to be a vital piece in the jigsaw of child safety. I speak from personal experience: I put my car into reverse one day and was extremely surprised to see my five-year-old on the screen :eek: I knew he was about and would have put the car back into Park if I couldn't have positively located him, but even at that it frightened the sh!t out of me.

I wonder how much money they've saved on the sticker price with this move...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭eagerv

Will home charge tonight for first time, my consumption since last charge(At VW) is 13.7kWh/100km. Better than I expected because you don't drive particularly well for first few days with a lot of acceleration trial bursts and bringing friends for a spin etc. But no motorways yet, mainly 80km/h roads.

But looks as though no facility yet to set charge timer in car, hope it comes in first software update. Not a big problem for me as I am never in bed before 12 for night rate. (Soon will be 11pm). Will just plug in and set limit to 80%, don't need any more.

Thank you VW for putting the car charge connection on the right hand side of the ID.3, means that we can charge either car when parked in front of house easily. (Ioniq on left hand side). We reverse both cars in..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

fricatus wrote: »
    Whatever about drum brakes, it's the lack of a reversing camera on the base model that shocks me. This is an essential piece of equipment for any car that is likely to find itself on a driveway with children about.

There's a very good reason why they're mandated on all new cars in the US, and (AFAIK) about to be in the EU, and that's that they've been shown to be a vital piece in the jigsaw of child safety. I speak from personal experience: I put my car into reverse one day and was extremely surprised to see my five-year-old on the screen :eek: I knew he was about and would have put the car back into Park if I couldn't have positively located him, but even at that it frightened the sh!t out of me.

Would the load beeping not warn you that there's something behind you?

• Advertisement

fricatus wrote: »

I agree it should be on the base 1st, hopefully it will be available as an aftermarket purchase.

But to be honest I don't miss it, rarely used it on my last cars. I still like to turn around when reversing. And the sensors seem good, with a sweep to the sides as well. I found the rear cross traffic alert brilliant on my last car but it's not on many cars in this segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Had to take my car back to the garage today. Got a warning that the motor wasn't working properly, when I went to figure out the auto wipers thants to eagerv for the heads up on that.

Now I have an audi A3 that makes a lot of noise while it thinks about upping the pace,got used to the ev refinement really quickly.

Had to take my car back to the garage today. Got a warning that the motor wasn't working properly, when I went to figure out the auto wipers thants to eagerv for the heads up on that.

Now I have an audi A3 that makes a lot of noise while it thinks about upping the pace,got used to the ev refinement really quickly.

Sorry to hear that, hope it's something simple like one of the many software quirks.

eagerv wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, hope it's something simple like one of the many software quirks.

Yea that's gotta be disappointing.
    Gives the anti EV crowd an i told you so too.
    I can just here the lads in work now.....they still think that you dont own an EV battery :pac:

Do VW do the 360 cams at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Will home charge tonight for first time, my consumption since last charge(At VW) is 13.7kWh/100km. Better than I expected because you don't drive particularly well for first few days with a lot of acceleration trial bursts and bringing friends for a spin etc. But no motorways yet, mainly 80km/h roads.

But looks as though no facility yet to set charge timer in car, hope it comes in first software update. Not a big problem for me as I am never in bed before 12 for night rate. (Soon will be 11pm). Will just plug in and set limit to 80%, don't need any more.

Thank you VW for putting the car charge connection on the right hand side of the ID.3, means that we can charge either car when parked in front of house easily. (Ioniq on left hand side). We reverse both cars in..

I have much higher consumption (15kwh/100km) although I do drive only on 50/80kmh roads. Do you use heating as normal or i just have a heavy foot?

• Advertisement

I have much higher consumption (15kwh/100km) although I do drive only on 50/80kmh roads. Do you use heating as normal or i just have a heavy foot?

Haven't had to use heating or cooling much as yet and much of my driving has been quite gentle. Also haven't used cruise or regen(Except to trial). I have of course played with the performance but otherwise has been smooth driving.
    And the 90km I did yesterday was sort of hypermiling to see what was possible on my normal trip (this will skewer the figures as I have only done 200km to date). And the trip computer is probably wrong,lol:) so don't worry..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Have car back, software glitch, an update before delivery wasn't correctly installed, or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭jerryg

Quick question folks,
    I've paid a deposit for a 1st addition and at the time the dealer was talking about a number of incentives that were with the car.
    1. Charging at ionity.
    2. servicing for one year to include tyre replacement
    or
    3.Charge station.
    I'm wondering have any of the new 1st edition owners got their incentives yet and what is the best value?
    I.m jumping from a BMW i3 as I need more range .
    Thanks
    Jerry

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

jerryg wrote: »
    Quick question folks,
    I've paid a deposit for a 1st addition and at the time the dealer was talking about a number of incentives that were with the car.
    1. Charging at ionity.
    2. servicing for one year to include tyre replacement
    or
    3.Charge station.
    I'm wondering have any of the new 1st edition owners got their incentives yet and what is the best value?
    I.m jumping from a BMW i3 as I need more range .
    Thanks
    Jerry

All the first editions get a free 12 months of the top tier We Charge subscription. That gives you €600 or 2000 kWh of charging. Looking at the app it looks like it covers ESB and Ionity chargers.

The other incentives are for the "first movers" who opt to take delivery now while some software (CarPlay, Android Auto and bits of the Hud on the Max) won't be available until a Q1 21 update.

You can choose between:
    3 free payments if taking finance
    or 1,000€ towards a charger (should be in addition to the 600€ SEAI grant)
    or 3 years of the top tier service plan, which includes 1 set of replacement tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I agree it should be on the base 1st, hopefully it will be available as an aftermarket purchase.

There is already a kit available that fits in the rear VW emblem like original ones.

600 euro though plus what ever fitting would cost but it does say plug and play cable so maybe DIY job. The screen would need coding afterwards too.

I wouldn't bother but if someone really needed one the option is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

it means you drive to slow :P I am getting 16-17 but I don't care. I have free work charging for now so I drive like it meant to be driven :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Mr Q wrote: »
    There is already a kit available that fits in the rear VW emblem like original ones.

600 euro though plus what ever fitting would cost but it does say plug and play cable so maybe DIY job. The screen would need coding afterwards too.

I wouldn't bother but if someone really needed one the option is there.

Please trust me when I say DO NOT use one of those cameras. They’re terrible aftermarket muck. I’ve had them fitted before and they’ve broke my heart

I’d go with a fixed one that goes where the number plate lights are and change the mirror, if I’d bother at all.

kris_2021 wrote: »
    it means you drive to slow :P I am getting 16-17 but I don't care. I have free work charging for now so I drive like it meant to be driven :)

I got free charging at ab 4-5h work for the last two days but it’s only ab 2kW so hardly worth it:)

Did anyone asked their dealers about the service interval and the price? I asked when I was collecting the car but the salesman didn’t know so he asked someone in workshop. The answer he got was - same as the ICE cars, yearly or 15k and €169. I said it’s a rip off and I will service it at another garage. I checked the service interval in the car today and it said 697 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

Did anyone asked their dealers about the service interval and the price? I asked when I was collecting the car but the salesman didn’t know so he asked someone in workshop. The answer he got was - same as the ICE cars, yearly or 15k and €169. I said it’s a rip off and I will service it at another garage. I checked the service interval in the car today and it said 697 days.

i asked as well and he meant to come back to me and did not yet. car says it should be in 2 years time though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jonnythefox

I have free charging also in work at 7kw. So not too bad.
    I’m also getting a walk charger for home. Had a call today from Bord Gais who will be installing it.
    Nice lady asked me if I wanted to allow electric shower to be used at the same time as charger.
    €115 extra charge. Otherwise I was told they would have to throttle the wall charger down to 3.6kw permanently. Does Anyone else have experience with this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

This is what I got from them though the car is telling me 600+ days to go before service is due.
    Verbally the dealer had told me it was every two years for the service, so more confusion from VW...

“As and when service intervals occur, our well-equipped workshop and factory-trained staff will be on hand to provide whatever assistance is required. As a reminder, your first service is due at 15,000km or within 12 months from date of registration whichever comes first.“

Its 2 years with no mileage limit apparently.

The previous EVs were 2 years/30kms

Attached

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

That's odd: I would have thought it should be 696 days :D

By the way, no harm in asking casually, but my default assumption is pretty much anything a car sales person says in relation to any question cannot be taken at face value.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

L-M wrote: »

This may sound stupid, but shouldn’t you be rotating tyres more frequently to get them to last longer? Other than that, I’d assume it should be minimal stuff like washer fluid/ wipers, which realistically active should be able to do on their own.

ddarcy wrote: »
    This may sound stupid, but shouldn’t you be rotating tyres more frequently to get them to last longer? Other than that, I’d assume it should be minimal stuff like washer fluid/ wipers, which realistically active should be able to do on their own.

I don’t ever get the logic of rotating tyres.

You can assume a lot but there’s a reason why schedule servicing/NCTs exist.

I don’t ever get the logic of rotating tyres.

You can assume a lot but there’s a reason why schedule servicing/NCTs exist.

If you are going to be handing a car back at the end of a lease or intending to sell it then you will be glad of having rotated the tyres.

I wonder whether the dealers will be informed about this?

• Advertisement

I wonder whether the dealers will be informed about this?

Well any dealer that tells someone it need an oil and filter inspection every 15,000kms @169 needs a kick.

Advertisement