Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The reality of course being that with a 58kWh battery with a consumption of 15.5kWh/100km dropping your max charge from 100% indicated to 90% should give a useable range on the battery of 670,000 km instead of the 550,000km when charging.
    Your children will thank you in 30 years when they inherit your car for being so conscientious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

liamog wrote: »
    Your children will thank you in 30 years when they inherit your car for being so conscientious :)

Hard to imagine that the EVs out these days will one day be driven by some teenager who needed a cheap banger for their first car

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Difficult to know... is there something specific to vehicle Li-ion batteries? Certainly don't take phones or laptops off charge at 80% (although leaving them plugged in continuously isn't good for their health).

From a technology perspective there isnt much difference between EV batteries and phone batteries. There are some chemistry differences but still fundamentally the same.

The big difference is the cost to buy. A consumer electronics item for €1k is a bit different to an EV that costs €30k-€100k! The EV needs to last 10-15yrs at least. The phone doesnt.

Even saying that, I notice on a recent update of iOS they have now introduced an algorithm that delays charging when you plug the phone in at night so that it doesnt immediately go to 100% and sit there for the night... it delays that last bit to before you wake up. Thats all to prolong the life of the battery.
    Was this advice also given with the earlier BEVs? I've been charging my i3 (only 60Ah / 22kWh) to 100% at least once a day and it's now 5years old with no noticeable reduction in range. (tbf it was never outstanding anyway)

Yes, Gen 1 Leaf also had an menu item called "Long life" mode which stopped charging at 80%.

I also charged my own Leaf to 100% everyday but only because I needed it and I timed it to finish charging just before I leave for work so it was only sitting at 100% for mins, not hours. It was no worse than other Leaf's of that age after the 5yrs.

With larger batteries though, its alot easier to limit charge to 80% as very few people are doing 300-500km's a day. Just charge to 100% when you know you need it.

KCross wrote: »
    Yes, Gen 1 Leaf also had an menu item called "Long life" mode which stopped charging at 80%.

Really? Can that be set via the menu in the car?

EDIT: Looks like they removed it after 2014 :(

Yes it's well known for years the effects of having a li battery sitting at high states of charge but it's not as much of an issue today because there is much more Kwh available so a reduction of even 20% isn's as much of an issue as it was with 1st Gen Leafs and the likes.

Still, it's good to watch what the manufacturer says in the manual in the event of a warranty claim. In the Gen I Leaf 2015 Manual Nissan warns that keeping the battery at 100% charge for 2 weeks or more could invalidate the warranty.

Best practice would be to use between 30-70%, and if that offers plenty of range then stick to that, otherwise if you need 100% daily which I seriously doubt for most people with today's electrics with 50+ kwh but if you do then charge to 100%.

Charging to 100% going to the local shop and back and plugging back in at 95% wouldn't be a good idea.

• Advertisement

Really? Can that be set via the menu in the car?

EDIT: Looks like they removed it after 2014 :(

Its there in the menus.

It only got removed in 2016 when the L30 was introduced.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The way I manage it, is to leave the car set to charge to 100%, and only plug it in on days where the car drops below 50km or the night before days I know I'll be driving a lot. During the full lockdown, I would charge the car then go for a spirited drive to drain off the top 15%.
    I see more of a problem leaving the car at 100% than charging to it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

Is anyone else on the list for a new batch of first editions? I test drove one a few weeks ago, they didn't have one in the colour I wanted but the dealer got back to me and said he'd secured one on the production line, which would be for late October or thereabouts. I've put down the deposit and agreed finance, but since then he's still got no news on specific date, says he's waiting for word from VW.

Seems weird that I'm still waiting for a 1st Plus with no specific date, and people are starting to move on to talking about the Series editions.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

Does the base 1st have USB-C sockets in the rear? I seem to recall the early brochures stated that it did but I can't see any on my car.

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

quokula wrote: »
    Is anyone else on the list for a new batch of first editions? I test drove one a few weeks ago, they didn't have one in the colour I wanted but the dealer got back to me and said he'd secured one on the production line, which would be for late October or thereabouts. I've put down the deposit and agreed finance, but since then he's still got no news on specific date, says he's waiting for word from VW.

Seems weird that I'm still waiting for a 1st Plus with no specific date, and people are starting to move on to talking about the Series editions.

I'm the same but waiting on a First.

Approved for finance and deposit paid. Dealer has enrolled me for the First Movers Club as well.

Said they ordered additional cars themselves but as they ordered so late the cars weren't expected until early November or a slim chance of end of October.

• Advertisement

Does the base 1st have USB-C sockets in the rear? I seem to recall the early brochures stated that it did but I can't see any on my car.

Under the vent on the cup holder?

As I recall that's the Plus and Max trims

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'm the same but waiting on a First.

Approved for finance and deposit paid. Dealer has enrolled me for the First Movers Club as well.

Said they ordered additional cars themselves but as they ordered so late the cars weren't expected until early November or a slim chance of end of October.

Oh I haven't been enrolled in the first movers club, I need to ask about that. He did confirm that I'd be able to avail of the 3 month free offer.

quokula wrote: »
    Oh I haven't been enrolled in the first movers club, I need to ask about that. He did confirm that I'd be able to avail of the 3 month free offer.

My dealer did it himself for me. He emailed a few days after I gave the deposit to say I had been approved for finance and my name was on the First Movers list thing.

I hope my car arrives soon because herself is going to kill me if I keep talking about how much I'm looking forward to getting it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,170 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just on charging in the wild, what do you need my dealer tells me he has the card with the free €600 credit ready, what other other ones do you need..

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

It was a copy paste error. Base one doesn't have rear usb-c sockets

Just on charging in the wild, what do you need my dealer tells me he has the card with the free €600 credit ready, what other other ones do you need..

ESB eCars pay as you go account is probably the only other one that's worth getting. The ESB pricing for We Charge is apparently a bit of a rip-off

I'd use ESB for the ESB chargers and We Charge for Ionity chargers

... The ESB pricing for We Charge is apparently a bit of a rip-off

I'd use ESB for the ESB chargers and We Charge for Ionity chargers

I havent tried myself but the VW info is that the eCars rapids are part of the initial free access incentive for 1st movers so I would use the We Charge card for both in that case.

This is what the brochure says and specifically calls out eCars network...
    As a We Charge customer, buyers of the exclusive ID.3 1st Edition receive free access at public charging points for one year or a maximum of 2,000 kWh, whichever occurs soonest. This is accessible through IONITY, high performance charging network, and all public charging points connected with the We Charge service including the ESB ecars charging network.

I havent tried myself but the VW info is that the eCars rapids are part of the initial free access incentive for 1st movers so I would use the We Charge card for both in that case.

This is what the brochure says and specifically calls out eCars network...
    As a We Charge customer, buyers of the exclusive ID.3 1st Edition receive free access at public charging points for one year or a maximum of 2,000 kWh, whichever occurs soonest. This is accessible through IONITY, high performance charging network, and all public charging points connected with the We Charge service including the ESB ecars charging network.

True, the issue is that with the prices inflated you'll run down your allowance faster than expected

Also ESB chargers have enough difficulty working with their own cards, let alone cards from outside companies

Having said that, it's probably quite difficult to burn through €600 with occasional DC charging, you'd need to be regularly using Ionity to go through it all

True, the issue is that with the prices inflated you'll run down your allowance faster than expected

What prices are you referring to?
    Is it just the standard eCars pricing or is there specific eCars pricing for We Charge customers?

• Advertisement

What prices are you referring to?
    Is it just the standard eCars pricing or is there specific eCars pricing for We Charge customers?

Eagerev mentioned the prices for We Charge customers at ESB chargers seemed higher than the normal price

Can't get the we charge card working, any ideas...just get a whoops something went wrong...

Screenshot-20200928-195052.jpg

Screenshot-20200928-195058.jpg

Screenshot-20200928-195044.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

I can't help but notice the "No internet connection" at the top.

Could that be the problem?

No that's not it, that pops up on the first page but dissapears....when I click on whichever price plan that's when I get the whoops error, trying to add the vin on the PC instead and it won't accept it. Dealer wasn't able to get the card working either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

Eagerev mentioned the prices for We Charge customers at ESB chargers seemed higher than the normal price

Heard my name mentioned:D, just back from a 174km trip, will post details later..

Yes looks as though using ESB charge points with your We Charge account is expensive.

You get 2000kWh free for the year or €600 which ever comes first. You would get the full 2000kWh@ €0.30/ kWh with the special price of €0.30 that we have using Ionity.

ESB charge points using your We Charge account is : Start up fee €1.0226, per kWh €0.385 and per minute €0.2406 (After 45 mins). This is the prices on the map if you click on a station. Can easily work out at over €1 per kWh if using a slow Type 2 charger. Fast chargers are at the same price.

You could easily use up your credit very quickly, but for many it may be the only way, especially in south of country where there are limited Ionity.

eagerv wrote: »
    ESB charge points using your We Charge account is : Start up fee €1.0226, per kWh €0.385 and per minute €0.2406 (After 45 mins). This is the prices on the map if you click on a station. Can easily work out at over €1 per kWh if using a slow Type 2 charger. Fast chargers are at the same price.

Is that in the We Charge app? I dont see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

Anybody notice the led flashing continually on the keyfob when the car is locked.

Edit: Car is parked just outside the front room where the key is and there seems to be a proximity unlock sensing. Moving it to the back room stops the flashing.
    Fob battery wont last to long if that continued.

First day of ownership - looks like everyday could be a school day.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jonnythefox

Anybody notice the led flashing continually on the keyfob when the car is locked.

Usually means it’s with in range of the car. The further you move away from the car it should stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

Is that in the We Charge app? I dont see it.

The We Connect ID App. I zoomed into various stations on their Map and checked the prices.

I hope they are wrong, my app is still showing in miles:).
    But unfortunately the pricing is in Euro.

Just used my We Charge card at Ionity this afternoon.
    It detailed my session, but no price as yet. It says that depending on the operator, the full data may take a few weeks. Hope it's at the €0.30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Usually means it’s with in range of the car. The further you move away from the car it should stop.

It's a bloody pain tbh... every time I lock the car now I have to come in to the house and hide the fob. If I go near the front of the house or even up the stairs, the bloody thing wakes up and switches on the lights. (It doesn't unlock though luckily enough).

Advertisement