Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Maerlokw

The WeCharge prices are absolutely thievery. Got my first bill, obviously didn't pay anything but showed how much it charged from the 600. I was charging on a slow 22KWh ESB charger, for about an hour and a half. For 20.8KWh of charge it ended up being €26.

Shocked, I guess I didn't expect the prices on the app to actually be the real ones. The fact that it's like 25c a minute after 45mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Irishjg wrote: »
    Looks kinda lilac in the pics. Idk maybe it’s just my eyes.

Most likely of the like my phone..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Maerlokw wrote: »
    The WeCharge prices are absolutely thievery.

Seems that the only good value is to use Ionity.... forget using eCars with your WeCharge account.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heron_joe

eagerv wrote: »
    Sweet:). Wonder if the charger was on free vend, as they sometimes are?

Has there been windows where the cost is not applied on 22kW or 50kW chargers?

Can the ID3 be plugged into the 150kW chargers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

heron_joe wrote: »
    Can the ID3 be plugged into the 150kW chargers?

Yes. But the most you will get out of it is about 103kw if you are at a low SOC. (>30%)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭McHonda

Is anyone else getting crappy speeds on Ionity? I'm only getting 40kw @40% soc

• Registered Users Posts: 15 smith79

September1 wrote: »
    Is your Android set to English (Ireland) and not English (UK) ?

I changed language in Settings on my phone (android) to English (Ireland) and now read out for Charge Level is in Km, thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

McHonda wrote: »
    Is anyone else getting crappy speeds on Ionity? I'm only getting 40kw @40% soc

I think this happened to Bjorn on his 1000km challenge. It fixed itself at the next charger.

It could be the charger at fault, they do glitch sometimes. The great thing about Ionity is there's usually another charger you can try if it isn't busy

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

KCross wrote: »
    Seems that the only good value is to use Ionity.... forget using eCars with your WeCharge account.

Well you do have €600 credit, might as well use it before the year is up.

Truth be told, I think a lot of people would struggle to use the €600, I think my DC charging bill for the past year has under €20

I imagine we charge usage will drop dramatically after the free period ends for everyone if those prices continue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭eagerv

September1 wrote: »
    Is your Android set to English (Ireland) and not English (UK) ?

Brilliant , thanks for tip. After a 9 days in miles, my app is now in km! My Android was English(UK). Changed now to English(Ireland).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 smith79

Tried plugging in USB-C hub to play media from SD card and got message on screen that hubs were not supported, however it still seemed to work and I could play all music files, however album art did not appear as it did in my previous Golf. I tried some video files (.mp4) only audio played for these, owners manual mentions some equipment levels support video files.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

rx8 wrote: »
    I'm getting different bugs now depending on what day it is I think. Today's one had the heated rear window on all the time. When we got to Liffey Valley the back window was roasting. It went off eventually while it was parked and hasn't happened again.

@Rusky, I ran the dash cam cable along the top of the doors and it reached easily. Haven't bothered with the rear camera yet, might have a look at it tomorrow.

I might have a look today:) I had couple of new bugs today - couldn't direct the air to the feet, computer was saying no (sorry, this function is nit available). Also couldn't change the volume for a while.

I think this happened to Bjorn on his 1000km challenge. It fixed itself at the next charger.

It could be the charger at fault, they do glitch sometimes. The great thing about Ionity is there's usually another charger you can try if it isn't busy

It could be a cold battery, cold battery will greatly reduce charging current and greatly increase charging times.

The id.3 does have a coolant heater which runs through the battery but the prerequisite for this to come on and heat the battery are unknown at this point. It maybe that like the i3 it only heats the battery when plugged in with a depart timer set, the i3 will heat the battery when the timer is set 4 hrs prior to depart but it heats only to 10 Deg C to allow max regen and acceleration, DC charging wasn't in the minds of BMW but with a preheated battery at 10 Deg C, by the time you set off with a full charge by the time you need to charge it should be sufficiently warm to allow max charging at least that's my experience even in the coldest of weather.

It would be interesting to see reports of the id.3 battery heater in the months to come, hopefully someone will develop an app.

Can anyone tell me how to unlock the charging port? My mum has hers plugged into the granny lead and can't figure out how to unlock it. I'm going to try and debug it via video call later

Can anyone tell me how to unlock the charging port? My mum has hers plugged into the granny lead and can't figure out how to unlock it. I'm going to try and debug it via video call later

Double click the unlock button on the key fob

Double click the unlock button on the key fob

Thanks Rusky rusky! I'll give her a shout later and see how she's getting on

There's a pull cord behind a panel in the boot as well as far as I remember? Just in case something has gone wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It could be a cold battery, cold battery will greatly reduce charging current and greatly increase charging times.

The id.3 does have a coolant heater which runs through the battery but the prerequisite for this to come on and heat the battery are unknown at this point.

And I wonder is that only if you have a heat pump, which the 1st edition doesnt have. It might also be just used for really cold climates to protect the battery from damage rather than for getting max power at charge points. It would be good to get a technical answer on that from VW.

It maybe that like the i3 it only heats the battery when plugged in with a depart timer set, the i3 will heat the battery when the timer is set 4 hrs prior to depart but it heats only to 10 Deg C to allow max regen and acceleration, DC charging wasn't in the minds of BMW but with a preheated battery at 10 Deg C, by the time you set off with a full charge by the time you need to charge it should be sufficiently warm to allow max charging at least that's my experience even in the coldest of weather.

It would be interesting to see reports of the id.3 battery heater in the months to come, hopefully someone will develop an app.

The ID.3 does similar. It is done via the heated cabin air rather than via the coolant though. How good that is is unknown.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114770551&postcount=5167

So, the idea would be to ensure you run the cabin pre-heating before you depart for any journey during the winter months. By the time you have burned through 300km's of range the battery should be well able to take 100kW then... in this country anyway.

We wont be long finding out although its going to be hard to tell sometimes as people are reporting poor Ionity rates due to the chargers rather than the car so trying to figure out which one is limiting the power will be a problem.

Thanks Rusky rusky! I'll give her a shout later and see how she's getting on

There's a pull cord behind a panel in the boot as well as far as I remember? Just in case something has gone wrong

Np. I had to use the pull cord once when the led light in the port turned red and the cable wouldn't release no matter how many times I pressed the unlock button.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,169 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Np. I had to use the pull cord once when the led light in the port turned red and the cable wouldn't release no matter how many times I pressed the unlock button.

I've mine set to release so I just plug it in and out like a petrol pump, it doesn't stay stuck on the car.

I've mine set to release so I just plug it in and out like a petrol pump, it doesn't stay stuck on the car.

Is that the auto-release switch button on the infotainment? Do you have to set that every time?

• Advertisement

Is that the auto-release switch button on the infotainment? Do you have to set that every time?

You don't need to set it every time, it's there somewhere on the screen i'm not near the car at the moment.

You don't need to set it every time, it's there somewhere on the screen i'm not near the car at the moment.

Cool, I'll give her a video call in a bit and give her the rundown

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Not seeing much selection of tyres for 215/50/19. Looks like it would be around €190 per tyre for the Conti EcoContact 6. No Pilot Sport 4, P Zero etc. Looks to be around €20-30 more per tyre than what you'd put on 19" Golf wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Not seeing much selection of tyres for 215/50/19. Looks like it would be around €190 per tyre for the Conti EcoContact 6. No Pilot Sport 4, P Zero etc. Looks to be around €20-30 more per tyre than what you'd put on 19" Golf wheels.

By the time you would need to change them there will probably be a lot more options. The 18s and 20s have much more available

KCross wrote: »
    And I wonder is that only if you have a heat pump, which the 1st edition doesnt have. It might also be just used for really cold climates to protect the battery from damage rather than for getting max power at charge points. It would be good to get a technical answer on that from VW.

The ID.3 does similar. It is done via the heated cabin air rather than via the coolant though. How good that is is unknown.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114770551&postcount=5167

So, the idea would be to ensure you run the cabin pre-heating before you depart for any journey during the winter months. By the time you have burned through 300km's of range the battery should be well able to take 100kW then... in this country anyway.

We wont be long finding out although its going to be hard to tell sometimes as people are reporting poor Ionity rates due to the chargers rather than the car so trying to figure out which one is limiting the power will be a problem.

Quote from your link.

"The aim is to operate the battery at the optimum operating point by using suitable controls.
    In addition, customers can precondition the battery by programming the battery heating / ventilation (in accordance with the heating and ventilation of the passenger compartment)."

Battery heating isn't being done by cabin heat at all, I posted a good article here a while ago that explained all the heating and cooling and associated circuits and it didn't show anything about using cabin air to heat the battery.

What I am almost certain this means is that battery heating only works when the cabin heating is set and probably a depart timer too just like the i3 and will have to be set hrs in advance most likely too to give it a chance to warm up.

The battery has a dedicated heating element so it doesn't use the cabin heat for battery heating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭MarkN

A very nice lady approached me as I was taking these pics and told me she has her white ID3 1st a few weeks now and loves it. A few software problems like the doors not locking (!) but is happy to wait until Jan for the software update and still loves the car.

I'll be filming a review of this over the weekend - anything I need to cover?!

ID3-001.jpg
    ID3-002.jpg
    ID3-003.jpg
    ID3-005.jpg
    ID3-006.jpg
    ID3-007.jpg
    ID3-008.jpg
    ID3-009.jpg
    ID3-010.jpg
    ID3-011.jpg
    ID3-012.jpg
    ID3-013.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If you have fun in one of these it's definitely a plus considering what you were driving in the previous review!

I look forward to your thoughts. I know other reviewers will point out if it's a bit expensive or the economy could be better but it resonates a bit better from someone in Ireland who knows what the alternative cars are or whether it's suited for a Dublin school run or dodgy backroads.

Can anyone tell me what the infotainment is like from the passenger side? Maybe it's because it's not flush like the Golf but it seems angled to the driver a fair bit. Just wondering if the passenger gets a good view of it.

MarkN wrote: »
    A very nice lady approached me as I was taking these pics and told me she has her white ID3 1st a few weeks now and loves it. A few software problems like the doors not locking (!) but is happy to wait until Jan for the software update and still loves the car.

I wouldn't get bogged down on the software, we all know it's crap at the moment.
    The car interior looks good at night so might be worth showing it off, i've only seen one review to do it properly, a lot of the EV reviews are very nerdy I find them painful to watch not enough concentrate on the driving of the car if you know what I mean.
    I took the kids out for a spin in it last night, even the 2yr old was screaming more Turbo daddy, I was just punching it at about 50 and they were flying back into their child seats, they loved the turbo punch. It's a bit of a novelty to me as well trying to pull out of a junction or overtake a parked car while there's something coming the other way.
    Coming from a tuned GTI I wasn't expecting much but i'm happy with how it drives has exceeded expectation, das car ist gut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭MarkN

Totally agree. I try to make videos for the masses, appealing to EV nerds isn’t what I want to do (but there’s plenty of great detailed places if you are mad into EVs too!)

In my opinion, this car is aimed at a normal Golf buyer who might just be a bit more convinced that the time for electric for them is now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

MarkN wrote: »

One thing I'd like to see is a comparison of the interior against the current Golf 8, I imagine a lot of people would be cross shopping the two cars.

Advertisement