Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

MarkN wrote: »
    Totally agree. I try to make videos for the masses, appealing to EV nerds isn’t what I want to do (but there’s plenty of great detailed places if you are mad into EVs too!)

In my opinion, this car is aimed at a normal Golf buyer who might just be a bit more convinced that the time for electric for them is now.

Enjoy the car Mark, looking forward to seeing the vid.

We have ours (Base 1st) for less than two weeks, but so far the most impressive thing for me (Apart from the driving:)) has been my first fast charge, documented here #5111, 28/09. Worth mentioning about VW being a partner with Ionity.

Also worth mentioning is that the car is available from a price similar to a Golf ICE auto, but with 204HP rather than about 120.

As mentioned, the software is not great. However once you set up your home screens with the info you require, I now find it pretty good. Just hand gesture between 2 screens give me all I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'll be filming a review of this over the weekend - anything I need to cover?!

Show the lane assist on the motorway. It looks like you have the ID.3 plus so its just LKAS, not LFA, so it would be good to see how much ping ponging it does on the motorway.

I played with it myself on my test drive but didnt have enough time really.

And what does the ACC do in stop/start traffic. Does it disengage completely or will it take off again if its only a few seconds.

I'll be filming a review of this over the weekend - anything I need to cover?!

Just to add to my above post, worth mentioning about regen.

The ID.3 has a clever auto regen. (When in D).

I like to leave in comfort mode, which allows the car to freewheel efficiently. However if you lift off when descending a hill or come up to a car, T Junction, speed limit or direction change if way point entered, then the regen increases.

Not one pedal driving, but I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Casati

eagerv wrote: »

I like to leave in comfort mode, which allows the car to freewheel efficiently. However if you lift off when descending a hill or come up to a car, T Junction, speed limit or direction change if way point entered, then the regen increases.

Mark - v keen to see this review. Not sure if you are familiar with the eHybrid PHEV Golf but it seems similar to the ID3 and would like to get your thoughts on if it’s a better option or not for the masses

Here's the coolant heater for the id.3 to heat the battery, below that is the coolant pipes running to the battery for heating and cooling.

The id.3 does not use cabin heat for the battery, it uses a separate electric heater.

https://jalopnik.com/the-fascinating-engineering-behind-vws-electric-car-pla-1829257860

rr1m6dre1axidwnpwehk.png

bzxabax4cdbml712hkiv.png

• Advertisement

Here's the coolant heater for the id.3 to heat the battery, below that is the coolant pipes running to the battery for heating and cooling.

The id.3 does not use cabin heat for the battery, it uses a separate electric heater.

https://jalopnik.com/the-fascinating-engineering-behind-vws-electric-car-pla-1829257860

rr1m6dre1axidwnpwehk.png

bzxabax4cdbml712hkiv.png

Why no insultation blanket around the 12volt battery? Cost cutting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Best selling car in Ireland in September, not best selling EV, best selling car :eek:

Outsold the 2nd best selling model Toyota Corolla by 36 units

Has any EV ever been the best selling car in Ireland?

Don't think Tesla Model 3 was but could be wrong?

https://stats.beepbeep.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Should we remove the "launch edition" from the title, since the series edition is now on sale?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Also worth mentioning is that the car is available from a price similar to a Golf ICE auto, but with 204HP rather than about 120.

Yep

That smartphone moment is coming very soon now

Driving a 204bhp instant torque, 0 -50mph in 5 secs, no gear change, to a 6 speed manual poxy little 120bhp turbo diesel/petrol is no fun

ID3 unlike Leaf, Ioniq and all the affordable EV's that came before for it isn't a one trick pony with a good 0 - 60mph and nothing else, it pulls well after 60mph as well.

Couldn't go balls out on my test drive but plenty of Youtube vids are putting it at 0 - 100 mph in 17 secs

That's Civic Type R from the 00's pace

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭MarkN

Casati wrote: »
    Mark - v keen to see this review. Not sure if you are familiar with the eHybrid PHEV Golf but it seems similar to the ID3 and would like to get your thoughts on if it’s a better option or not for the masses

Do you mean GTE as in MK7/7.5? I’ve had the MK8 eTSI but that’s it so far.

If we needed a new family car right now, it would be hard to look past the ID3. The price is just too competitive to buy a petrol/diesel Golf now I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If we needed a new family car right now, it would be hard to look past the ID3. The price is just too competitive to buy a petrol/diesel Golf now I feel.

There's an eHybrid Mk8 that is the same 204hp 1.4 configuration as the previous Mk7.5 GTE but with a bigger battery and the new Mk8 GTE is 245hp. Due to arrive here in December/January.

I think the eHybrid is €37k, new GTE is around €43k.

It's very competitive when you factor in the €1000 per year or so of savings against the running costs against a new petrol or diesel

DaveyDave wrote: »
    There's an eHybrid Mk8 that is the same 204hp 1.4 configuration as the previous Mk7.5 GTE but with a bigger battery and the new Mk8 GTE is 245hp. Due to arrive here in December/January.

They only make 204bhp and 245bhp when the battery is full and the engine is running at 6000rpm balls out for a very short while doing 30l/100km

In EV only mode those hybrid's only have 100bhp or so available, slower than a 15 year old diesel Golf, while the fully electric ID3 has 204bhp available all the time

Those pluggin hybrids are the worst of both world's, small engine and weak electric motor

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭MarkN

DaveyDave wrote: »

Wasn’t aware of this, if it were me I’d just jump to full EV if it was Golf versus ID. There’s probably a small bit more hard plastic going on in the ID compared to a Golf but like....

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

Yeah I'm really impressed by the regen. I did like the one pedal driving in the i3 and it will take a bit of getting used to but the way it adjusts regen when following other cars, coming up to junctions etc (when not using ACC) is very good.

I wonder if trying to free wheel more is better for economy that heavier regen breaking?

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I wonder if trying to free wheel more is better for economy that heavier regen breaking?

The short answer is yes, free wheeling is more efficient than heavy regen, but in most normal usage you won't notice much difference.

0-100km/h 6.8s

0 - 80km/h is the party trick, 4.7s

That 0 - 80km/h is going to leave alot of fast ICE cars behind

Yeah I'm really impressed by the regen. I did like the one pedal driving in the i3 and it will take a bit of getting used to but the way it adjusts regen when following other cars, coming up to junctions etc (when not using ACC) is very good.

I personally don't like one pedal driving or strong regen unless I have to slow up.
    Its more efficient to use your kinetic energy than the losses converting energy by regenerative braking .
    You still have strong regen on brake pedal if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,245 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Thierry12 wrote: »
    They only make 204bhp and 245bhp when the battery is full and the engine is running at 6000rpm balls out for a very short while doing 30l/100km

In EV only mode those hybrid's only have 100bhp or so available, slower than a 15 year old diesel Golf, while the fully electric ID3 has 204bhp available all the time

Those pluggin hybrids are the worst of both world's, small engine and weak electric motor

Nobody is buying a 204hp or 245hp PHEV just to floor it in EV mode all day. The power of the motors is enough to get around in scenarios where you would want EV only, it isn't much slower than a typical 1.6 diesel (same performance as the 1.6 i30 I was driving before my Golf). It just sounds like you're nitpicking, of course that's peak power and you're hardly getting 15kWh/100km flat out in an ID.3 so the 30L/100km comment is irrelevant.

I'm just pointing out the other Golf models, I'm not here for a PHEV vs EV debate. The eHybrid will certainly be a hard sell against an ID.3 for the same money but I'm sure people will have their reasons for buying one.

Thierry12 wrote: »

0-100km/h 6.8s

0 - 80km/h is the party trick, 4.7s

That 0 - 80km/h is going to leave alot of fast ICE cars behind

The big thing for me is the noise test, looks like the ID.3 does well considering almost everything above it on the list costs a lot more

According to el goog 70dB is a car travelling at 60mph or office background noise.

It looks like that's the borderline of annoyingly loud, so I'd say at 110kph the car is pretty relaxing to drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

I notice on the price list of the series cars linked previously that they have increased the delivery charge to €1000.
    A bit under-handed I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

L-M wrote:
    Yeah but from the middle of next year. I ass-ume it’ll be 29,995 or something
    Got to be less if the mid range was 34k.

Wasn’t aware of this, if it were me I’d just jump to full EV if it was Golf versus ID. There’s probably a small bit more hard plastic going on in the ID compared to a Golf but like....

eHybrid has an 80/90km range so to me it’s look like the best of both worlds - enough range to satisfy most daily driving but no range anxiety or requirement to stop and charge in a long journey - while still being a Golf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭McGiver

Casati wrote:
    eHybrid has an 80/90km range so to me it’s look like the best of both worlds - enough range to satisfy most daily driving but no range anxiety or requirement to stop and charge in a long journey - while still being a Golf
    With the exception of the thousands of moving parts that may fail (and will fail), more maintenence as well.
    Plus battery degradation on top of that.

PHEVs are arguably both the best and worst of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,169 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Bjorn review up... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9oNk6ZQcDg

I thought it was just me with the climate control, he's struggling as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭McHonda

Can someone check if their car came with a puncture repair kit? I didnt get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

McHonda wrote: »
    Can someone check if their car came with a puncture repair kit? I didnt get one.

There is a compartment, under the floor of the boot. There is a hand grab to open it to the left of center, check in there. There is a little black parcel in there in mine, which I assume contains a repair kit of some kind. I've not examined it, I'll just be ringing breakdown asssistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭McHonda

There is a compartment, under the floor of the boot. There is a hand grab to open it to the left of center, check in there. There is a little black parcel in there in mine, which I assume contains a repair kit of some kind. I've not examined it, I'll just be ringing breakdown asssistance.
    Mine must have went walkies, I'll get onto the dealer. Thanks. On a separate issue how are people getting on at fast chargers? I've yet to see over 40kw/hr and I'm trying the ESB 150kw at kilcullen so it's not just Ionity for me. Started at 38% soc.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

Mine must have went walkies, I'll get onto the dealer. Thanks. On a separate issue how are people getting on at fast chargers? I've yet to see over 40kw/hr and I'm trying the ESB 150kw at kilcullen so it's not just Ionity for me. Started at 38% soc.

Mine came with an inflation kit under boot shelf and a first aid kid that keeps rolling around the boot.

Did my first charge today, drove up to ionity on the M1 - 25% to 80% in 42 minutes 33kW/h.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

The kit could be under the boot floor or stuck to the side as it has velcro on it.
    It contains a bottle of puncture repair sealant and valve removal tool stuff. It also has a compressor in it, which I was surprised about.
    Hopefully I'll never have to use it.

Advertisement