Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

MarkN wrote: »

The software is clearly an issue for VW. They need to learn fast on how to develop software quickly as this is going to be ongoing negative press for them.

I really hope the next update fixes the majority of the issues and subsequent updates can be pushed over-the-air to address user feedback quickly. They said it will. Doing it via a dealer service wont be good enough. That will be key.

I also agree with your comments on the plastics. There are some, but you know what, its no worse than the rest of the VW range. I've been in a shiny new T-Cross and there are more plastics in that than the ID.3. The ID.3 is not targeting the premium market.

If the ID.3 rides and drives well, charges quickly, is more spacious than a Golf and costs similar money for 100hp more, there isnt much bad you can say about it to be honest.... apart from the software issues, of course.

KCross wrote: »
    Show the lane assist on the motorway. It looks like you have the ID.3 plus so its just LKAS, not LFA, so it would be good to see how much ping ponging it does on the motorway.

I played with it myself on my test drive but didnt have enough time really.

As expected then, just ping ponging. Not really that useful. You need Travel Assist to get LFA.
    And what does the ACC do in stop/start traffic. Does it disengage completely or will it take off again if its only a few seconds.

Did you try this at all Mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

As expected then, just ping ponging. Not really that useful. You need Travel Assist to get LFA.

Did you try this at all Mark?

ACC starts off again with the traffic. It gives a little note to tell you it is going to if it will. Sometimes it doesn't, maybe if the stop is too long or something, I'm not sure what triggers that.

ACC starts off again with the traffic. It gives a little note to tell you it is going to if it will. Sometimes it doesn't, maybe if the stop is too long or something, I'm not sure what triggers that.

Excellent. Thats nice to have. If you figure out its trigger let us know. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The software is clearly an issue for VW. They need to learn fast on how to develop software quickly as this is going to be ongoing negative press for them.

I really hope the next update fixes the majority of the issues and subsequent updates can be pushed over-the-air to address user feedback quickly. They said it will. Doing it via a dealer service wont be good enough. That will be key.

I remember a comment previously that VW were having trouble getting talent for their software team. Out of curiosity I searched for VW software jobs and only found a few advertised in Wolfsburg and Munich at the time. One wonders if they took a more diverse approach they may have more success getting talent. Certainly there's no shortage of talented developers in other countries (ahem, Ireland for example)

I suspect VW is still getting to grips with the idea of being a software company. Their entire management structure is based on a manufacturing company and their management is unfamiliar with software development and the challenges that involves. Herbet Deiss seems fairly convinced that software is the way forward, but there's a whole group of managers there who may not agree.

Another aspect may be how VW treats innovation. A lot of successful software companies afford the developers significant leeway in implementation, just giving them the general architecture and making sure the engineers don't go bonkers chasing perfection. I've worked with some German developers in the past and they take a bit of a different approach, tending to push decision making to upper management, who are often extremely risk averse and tend to want to stick to the plan (even when the plan is garbage)

Now, VW could be completely different, I don't know anyone who works there, and I'm only speaking from my own experiences. I suspect that they have a lot of challenges ahead for the software division and I hope that upper management are able to keep pushing forward on the software side and not just patch a few issues and then get bored and outsource or end-of-life the whole thing.

If forward thinkers like Deiss can have their way, then they'll be grand in the long run. If some of the entrenched board members and management get in the way though, then the whole thing could be at risk. Fingers crossed it's the former that wins out

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Software is one thing, whether the hardware the hardware and software is designed to talk to each other properly or they way they want it to is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Excellent. Thats nice to have. If you figure out its trigger let us know. Thanks.

Just for reference, the e-Niro will stop with traffic, and will start again if the stop is under about 2 seconds. After that it needs either a button on the steering wheel to be pressed, or the throttle touched to get it to move off again. It will then resume in ACC mode.

The ideal is the Tesla mode of moving off with traffic automatically.

I'm sure one of the owners can fill in the details with this one. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tesla will come to a full stop and unless it's an extended period of time will move again once traffic starts off, if it's a LONG time (I've never measured it) then from memory you have to put your foot on the accelerator or something like that, only ever happened to me once in long road works backup

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I think there's a 3sec timer. If you're within the 3 sec after stopping the acc will follow the car in front by itself. If more the 3sec a message acc is ready to start will appear and a tap on the accelerator is required (if the auto hold is engaged). Same systems is on the golf mk7.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭MarkN

KCross - you’ve hit the nail on the head. The tops of the doors are nicer in the Golf, the overall dash in the Golf is probably a bit nicer overall but there is no doubt, with the software ironed out (not all IDs seem to have these issues either) it will be a fairly big seller I feel. If the ID4 is nicer again on the inside then I feel the gap with Tesla etc is going to be squeezed. The Ionity charging is fantastic, albeit expensive relatively speaking.

The ACC I actually can’t remember if it starts off again, I tried it briefly and it didn’t start moving off. Would need to look at that again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Had an hour to kill and paid a visit to my local dealer. Looking at a 191 gtd golf or the id3 (I know I know two completely machines)

Anyway they had a demo model Id3. I didn’t like the look of the interior from pictures and videos but when sitting in it. It doesn’t feel too bad. Was impressed. Plenty room in the back for a 6ft2 lad but something I noticed was the car sort of leaked to one side when I sat in the back. I’m not that big but defo noticed it.

Just much punch through a few numbers but defo keen on it. He has a white one ready to go. Lol.

Btw. It’s a plus for 41500. How does this compare to what’s available for the future spec. Am I better off to hold one or go early. I like my gadgets and toys in a car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭MarkN

Had it blind spot etc ? The one I filmed didn’t, once you’ve those bits on top of what you get with the car, it’s fairly future proofed

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Personally I think the 1st Plus is bad value compared to the Tech spec of the regular model. The recommended on the road price is €41,795.

Here's a link from VW.ie for the series specs/prices https://www.volkswagen.ie/idhub/content/dam/onehub_pkw/importers/ie/models/product-guides/2020/2020-10-01/200930_RB_ID.3%20MY21.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭jerryg

I am getting a white iD3 first ed next week and I have already got a grant to fit my existing 16 aH unit, I now want to upgrade possibly to a vw 32 aH. What are my options?

A. I can pay a contractor 1100 euro to fit a Zappi

B I can buy the basic unit from vw and get my local electrician to fit it, but keep in mind I want to use the VW incentive of 1,000 towards this job.

Has any one else had a similar problem and what have you done.
    Thanks
    Jerry

jerryg wrote: »
    I am getting a white iD3 first ed next week and I have already got a grant to fit my existing 16 aH unit, I now want to upgrade possibly to a vw 32 aH. What are my options.
    A. I can pay a contractor 1100 euro to fit a Zappi

B I can buy the basic unit from vw and get my local electrician to fit it, but keep in mind I want to use the VW incentive of 1,000 towards this job.
    Has any one else had a similar problem and what have you done.
    Thanks
    Jerry

Your post is confusing.

I presume you are talking about the difference between 16A and 32A charge points?

The VW unit is a 32A unit. No reason why you cant get that installed with the grant through your VW first movers incentive.

What exact issue do you have?

Well hopefully that is the case that I will be able to do that I will check again with my Dealer.
    What I was hoping to get from responses here was someone in my position just wondering what they did!

Well hopefully that is the case that I will be able to do that I will check again with my Dealer.
    What I was hoping to get from responses here was someone in my position just wondering what they did!

Oh, I think i get your question now... are you saying you have already got a charge point in your house and you already claimed the grant for that?

If yes, you cant apply for another grant....only one grant per ESB meter.

You will still be entitled to your VW charge point as a first mover but you wont get the grant for it. If you go for the entry level ID Charger it is listed as "from €1,155" which includes install so it would cost you €155 if your install is simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,169 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You'll get the cost back for the charger if you produce an invoice.

As other posters have said, it is timer based. I counted to 8, but prob. about the 6 sec. as for the golf. A tip of the accelerator or the "res" button on the steering wheel gets it going again if timer is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

As other posters have said, it is timer based. I counted to 8, but prob. about the 6 sec. as for the golf. A tip of the accelerator or the "res" button on the steering wheel gets it going again if timer is up.

That's not too bad. Better than the 2
    seconds the e-Niro gives.

• Advertisement

You'll get the cost back for the charger if you produce an invoice.

Even a non VW charge point?

I assumed, maybe wrongly, that the offer only applied to their charge point and if you use their installer. If you use your own installer you only get the free charge point... could be completely wrong on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

I remember a comment previously that VW were having trouble getting talent for their software team. Out of curiosity I searched for VW software jobs and only found a few advertised in Wolfsburg and Munich at the time. One wonders if they took a more diverse approach they may have more success getting talent. Certainly there's no shortage of talented developers in other countries (ahem, Ireland for example)

I suspect VW is still getting to grips with the idea of being a software company. Their entire management structure is based on a manufacturing company and their management is unfamiliar with software development and the challenges that involves. Herbet Deiss seems fairly convinced that software is the way forward, but there's a whole group of managers there who may not agree.

Another aspect may be how VW treats innovation. A lot of successful software companies afford the developers significant leeway in implementation, just giving them the general architecture and making sure the engineers don't go bonkers chasing perfection. I've worked with some German developers in the past and they take a bit of a different approach, tending to push decision making to upper management, who are often extremely risk averse and tend to want to stick to the plan (even when the plan is garbage)

Now, VW could be completely different, I don't know anyone who works there, and I'm only speaking from my own experiences. I suspect that they have a lot of challenges ahead for the software division and I hope that upper management are able to keep pushing forward on the software side and not just patch a few issues and then get bored and outsource or end-of-life the whole thing.

If forward thinkers like Deiss can have their way, then they'll be grand in the long run. If some of the entrenched board members and management get in the way though, then the whole thing could be at risk. Fingers crossed it's the former that wins out

Carmeq did the software for the iD3, to be fair they had to develop a whole new stack and did the best they could with the team that they had, before the ID3 they were developing remote infterfaces using ECUs with Socks 5 proxy servers ffs.

They've dumped a ton of money now into Car.SW Org
    https://digital-mind-of-mobility.com/

Currently have 77 job postings:
    https://recruitingapp-5052.de.umantis.com/Jobs/All

They are really going to have an uphill battle building on whats already in the ID3, you'll probably only see real leaps in the next generation of ID Model.

Oh, I think i get your question now... are you saying you have already got a charge point in your house and you already claimed the grant for that?

If yes, you cant apply for another grant....only one grant per ESB meter.

You will still be entitled to your VW charge point as a first mover but you wont get the grant for it. If you go for the entry level ID Charger it is listed as "from €1,155" which includes install so it would cost you €155 if your install is simple.

Yes thanks KCross I got on to my dealer and he is saying I will have to pay up to 300 euro for the mid range charger from vw making it a total of 1300 euro with vw paying 1000 euro but I havent got an exact figure yet.
    I think we are all taking a leap of faith and after 4 years driving a BMW i3 I am moving to VW for more range at a reasonable price.

Yes thanks KCross I got on to my dealer and he is saying I will have to pay up to 300 euro for the mid range charger from vw making it a total of 1300 euro with vw paying 1000 euro but I havent got an exact figure yet.

The brochure has 3 prices for charge point inc install before grant....
    €1,155
    €1,376
    €1,603

So, I guess you are the €1376 one with VW giving you €1k back.

Must ask them if you can get your own installer and provide an invoice and they will pay €1k on that basis. That might be cheaper than using VW's installer but not sure if they allow that.

redcup342 wrote: »
    Carmeq did the software for the iD3, to be fair they had to develop a whole new stack and did the best they could with the team that they had, before the ID3 they were developing remote infterfaces using ECUs with Socks 5 proxy servers ffs.

They've dumped a ton of money now into Car.SW Org
    https://digital-mind-of-mobility.com/

Currently have 77 job postings:
    https://recruitingapp-5052.de.umantis.com/Jobs/All

They are really going to have an uphill battle building on whats already in the ID3, you'll probably only see real leaps in the next generation of ID Model.

Very interesting, thanks for looking that up :)

I think the mistake I made was to look on just the VW site, didn't realise it was posted under a different company name

They definitely made a mistake outsourcing the software for the ID.3. I can understand that they didn't have the capabilities in house, but they've had 4 years to build up the organisation.

Hopefully with updates being available for the ID.3 they bring it up to their combined VW OS when it's ready. My worry is that it'll get a few updates and VW will move onto the next project after a year or two

Hopefully with updates being available for the ID.3 they bring it up to their combined VW OS when it's ready. My worry is that it'll get a few updates and VW will move onto the next project after a year or two

Such is the software lifecycle for any product. Even Tesla, who are a software company at heart, cant provide their latest features on the older hardware. They are still providing updates/fixes on the older cars though.

I'd expect VW to be much the same. MEB is a platform with common hardware and shared software so no reason why they wouldnt support it with updates for the full production run.... 7yrs+.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Very interesting, thanks for looking that up :)

I think the mistake I made was to look on just the VW site, didn't realise it was posted under a different company name

They definitely made a mistake outsourcing the software for the ID.3. I can understand that they didn't have the capabilities in house, but they've had 4 years to build up the organisation.

Carmeq is owned by VW AG.

I didn't need to look it up, they've been around since 2002.

No doubt they hired some people from Bosch after they got canned and weren't up to scratch.

Expecting them to program bug free software on a completely new platform was a big ask.

redcup342 wrote: »
    Carmeq is owned by VW AG.

I didn't need to look it up, they've been around since 2002.

No doubt they hired some people from Bosch after they got canned and weren't up to scratch.

Expecting them to program bug free software on a completely new platform was a big ask.

Oh I'm not expecting bug free software. I'm more concerned about how well VW will listen to customers and update some of the usability features in the ID.3

The infotainment is great, but you'd swear whoever designed it never actually drove the ID.3 with the current software.

Stuff like the charging rate only being in km/h, trip meter reset being buried in a submenu. The air conditioning on button meaning off. Stuff like that

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Maerlokw

What kind of consumption is everyone getting? It feels like my ID.3 is consuming a lot, I'm getting about 18KW/h per 100km at 100km/h and maybe like 25 at 120km/h.
    Don't have anything crazy either, the Aircon is set to 20.0c on auto.

Feel like compared to what everyone else is saying my consumption is really high and the range is way less. Like I drove 20km on the motorway at 100km/h and it took 7/8% of the battery.

• Advertisement

my average consumption is somewhere around the 20kwh/100km. Most of my distance is 100kmph/120kmph, but most time is much slower. I don't have the exact mix. I normally floor it from take off or from 50 to 120 once or twice a day, purely to convince an ice head to switch.

Advertisement