Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭MarkN

Maerlokw wrote: »
    What kind of consumption is everyone getting? It feels like my ID.3 is consuming a lot, I'm getting about 18KW/h per 100km at

18/20 for the few days I was driving one too. Heavy enough foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Maerlokw wrote:
    What kind of consumption is everyone getting? It feels like my ID.3 is consuming a lot, I'm getting about 18KW/h per 100km at 100km/h and maybe like 25 at 120km/h.

The colder weather will also effect consumption. In summer, driving (in my Ioniq) from Dublin up North at 110 kmph I can get consumption of 12kw/h per 100km.

Same car, same trip, in the winter and I can get 17 kw/h per 100 Kms. Huge difference!

I find bellow 12 or 10 degrees C I start to see winter range / consumption.

There's also a huge difference in consumption going from 110kmph to 120kmph. If you need the range in a long trip, stay below 110kmph.

Lol I had 110 Kms Range in the 2015 Leaf @ around 100 - 110 Km/hr clock speed which was lower of course as the leaf at the time over read about 7 or 8 Km/hr.

With 58 Kwh that should give 290 Kms at 20 Kwh/100 km to empty so maybe 260 by the time you get to a fast charger and if it's a 100+ Kw charger you can get 80% in what 30 mins ?

Will be interesting to see all the complaints of slow charging speeds on a fast charger if the battery is cold but on a long run setting off with 100% charge it should be well warm enough after 260 Kms.

And here's a tip, if you're going on a weekend away from home and won't be able to leave the car plugged in all night on AC then charge on DC when you get to your destination for the next day because this will ensure a decent charging rate at the charger when the battery is warm, leaving it over night will most likely allow the battery cool off too much.

Even though the there is a dedicated coolant heater which heats the coolant to the battery this may only come on when plugged into AC and it may not even heat enough for max charge rate at a fast charger. It may also need a depart timer set in order to heat the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

So I did the math on thw We charge plans and worked out the break even point for their price plans. I only considered Ionity rates since We Charge seems fairly useless for ESB rates

We Charge (Discount rate)|Free|Go|Plus
    |||
    Ionity price (€/kWh)|0.79|0.55|0.3
    Monthly fee|0|0|9.99
    Saving (vs Free)|0|0.24|0.49
    |||
    Break even kWh|0|0|244.65306122449
    Efficiency (kWh/100km)|18|18|18
    Break even km|0|0|1359.18
    |||
    Annual DC driving (km)|1000|1000|1000
    Annual DC charge (kWh)|180|180|180
    Annual charging cost (€)|142.2|99|54
    Annual subscription costs (€)|0|0|119.88
    |||
    Total Annual cost (€)|142.2|99|173.88

We Charge (Normal rate)|Free|Go|Plus
    |||
    Ionity price (€/kWh)|0.79|0.55|0.3
    Monthly fee|0|7.49|17.49
    Saving (vs Free)|0|0.24|0.49
    |||
    Break even kWh per year|0|374.5|428.33
    Efficiency (kWh/100km)|18|18|18
    Break even km per year|0|2080.56|2379.59
    |||
    Annual DC driving (km)|1000|1000|1000
    Annual DC charge (kWh)|180|180|180
    Annual charging cost (€)|142.2|99|54
    Annual subscription costs (€)|0|89.88|209.88
    |||
    Total Annual cost (€)|142.2|188.88|263.88

Looks like the Go plan is good value for the discount period of 3 years, but quickly loses value after that it up.

The break even for the Plus plan (outside the discount) is only a bit higher than the Go plan, so I suspect that the saving is pretty good for people who are on the road a lot with work

It looks like there's definitely no value in signing up to any of the plans before a long trip. The 12 month contract is the killer in this case, as you need to be consistently driving long distance to make it worthwhile

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heron_joe

Did anyone get a protection pack fitted on their ID3?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

So I did the math on thw We charge plans and worked out the break even point for their price plans. I only considered Ionity rates since We Charge seems fairly useless for ESB rates

It looks like there's definitely no value in signing up to any of the plans before a long trip. The 12 month contract is the killer in this case, as you need to be consistently driving long distance to make it worthwhile

One benefit of the free plan, if you use Ionity directly they place a hold of on your card every time you start a charge (I think it's around €80) there was one guy who had trouble getting the charge to start and was down €240. You get the money back when the hold is released, but it's something to be aware of.

Article on RTE featured an ID.3 in the picture :D
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1007/1169939-environment-climate/

I'm glad they finally moved away from a picture of a caravan plug for EV charging :rolleyes:

Too bad the article is all about garbage from the motor industry about how we need to move to "clean" ICE cars

liamog wrote: »
    One benefit of the free plan, if you use Ionity directly they place a hold of on your card every time you start a charge (I think it's around €80) there was one guy who had trouble getting the charge to start and was down €240. You get the money back when the hold is released, but it's something to be aware of.

That's a definite plus. I'd personally use a credit card for that kind of stuff but a lot of people don't like using credit cards anymore and won't have one

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Carwow video of him driving until the ID3 stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

Maerlokw wrote: »
    What kind of consumption is everyone getting?

My overall average is 18.9 Kwh/100km. My commute to work is 55kms, 33 of which are motorway, about 5k urban and the rest is R roads.
    I do generally stick to the speed limits, use the ACC on the motorway and have the A/C on at 20 degrees.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »

Carwow video of him driving until the ID3 stops.

Always nice to see someone else do it rather than figure it out the hard way. It's good that it lets you push the car after it dies, it even seems to be able to coast for a bit at low speed. Hopefully that's enough to cover the last bit of ground to the charger

I only skimmed the review but he seemed pretty negative, there seemed to be a lot of focus on the drawbacks of the car compared to other reviews he's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Always nice to see someone else do it rather than figure it out the hard way. It's good that it lets you push the car after it dies, it even seems to be able to coast for a bit at low speed. Hopefully that's enough to cover the last bit of ground to the charger

I only skimmed the review but he seemed pretty negative, there seemed to be a lot of focus on the drawbacks of the car compared to other reviews he's done.

I'd say he'd have been a lot more positive if the tech had worked a bit better at all.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I'd say he'd have been a lot more positive if the tech had worked a bit better at all.;)
    at least the climate control worked:pac:

True enough, the software is definitely a disadvantage at the moment, and I'm not expecting him to say everything is perfect when it isn't. I just felt the positives of the car deserved a bit more airtime as well

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Once again a prominent Youtube reviewer having Software issues with the car... not great in fairness.

Whats the general consensus with owners here? how's the software? buggy at all?

It's probably hard too to be positive about the positives when the car could (and does) develop a software bug at any moment. The software is the life and soul of an EV these days!!

Once again a prominent Youtube reviewer having Software issues with the car... not great in fairness.

It's probably hard too to be positive about the positives when the car could (and does) develop a software bug at any moment. The software is the life and soul of an EV these days!!

I know my mum hasn't had any issues with bugs. I don't think it's winning any points on the usability front though

A few folks were reporting weird errors from the infotainment but nothing too serious.

I know one boardsie had to bring their car back after a day or too but not sure if that was software or hardware problems

True enough, the software is definitely a disadvantage at the moment, and I'm not expecting him to say everything is perfect when it isn't. I just felt the positives of the car deserved a bit more airtime as well

Mat Watson is normally very balanced in his reviews. He normally has no problem pointing out the good along with the bad.

He liked the room in the car, and the way it drove. The software badly let the car down and I hope VW are paying attention.

I'm badgering my dealer for more details on the series cars for next year. Seriously looking at the Tech, Max or, for the bigger battery, the Tour, but I'm hesitant to order not knowing where the software will be at delivery time.

Also talk of efficiency figures of over 18kWh/100km non motorway driving have me a bit worried.

Mat Watson is normally very balanced in his reviews. He normally has no problem pointing out the good along with the bad.

He liked the room in the car, and the way it drove. The software badly let the car down and I hope VW are paying attention.

I'm badgering my dealer for more details on the series cars for next year. Seriously looking at the Tech, Max or, for the bigger battery, the Tour, but I'm hesitant to order not knowing where the software will be at delivery time.

Also talk of efficiency figures of over 18kWh/100km non motorway driving have me a bit worried.

Personally I don't see the use of the big battery version. To me Golf sized hatchbacks are for driving around town with occasional road trips.

If I was consistently driving over 350km per day where I'd need the bigger battery to avoid a recharge, then I'd probably be looking at a higher spec vehicle overall.

I know that my dealership is taking orders but doesn't have it in the computer system yet, so they can't do proper finance quotes

Personally I don't see the use of the big battery version. To me Golf sized hatchbacks are for driving around town with occasional road trips.

If I was consistently driving over 350km per day where I'd need the bigger battery to avoid a recharge, then I'd probably be looking at a higher spec vehicle overall.

I know that my dealership is taking orders but doesn't have it in the computer system yet, so they can't do proper finance quotes

Yeah, it is a very personal thing for me.

When/if this bastard covid thing allows us to travel again, I'll be back to the 500+ km drive in the UK to see my daughter and grandkids, normally around 5 times per year. The e-Niro does it with one 45 minute charging/eating stop. I used to do it in the Ioniq and it needed 3 stops. I don't want to go back to more than 1 stop.

Yeah, it is a very personal thing for me.

When/if this bastard covid thing allows us to travel again, I'll be back to the 500+ km drive in the UK to see my daughter and grandkids, normally around 5 times per year. The e-Niro does it with one 45 minute charging/eating stop. I used to do it in the Ioniq and it needed 3 stops. I don't want to go back to more than 1 stop.

Fair point, I think you might have hit the window where the bigger battery makes sense.

Might be worth mentioning the ID.4 1st comes with the 77kWh battery and is similar price. It's likely thirstier though so there'll be a chunk of the increased battery consumed with that

• Advertisement

Do we have a price list yet ?

Pity they don't yet have a sub 8.5 second ID.4 and I expect the 300 odd Hp version will be really expensive.

Do we have a price list yet ?

Pity they don't yet have a sub 8.5 second ID.4 and I expect the 300 odd Hp version will be really expensive.

Yup, the prices are on the brochure linked up thread.

Yup, the prices are on the brochure linked up thread.

Oops , sorry thought I was in the id.4 thread. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

It seemed to me that everything stopped working after he yanked down the rear view mirror, which I suspect has a camera in it that a lot of the sensors depend on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

Mine is fine, only problem so far a flat battery in the fob, shouldn't happen when the car was a few days old.:)

At startup, screen is a bit slow, but after a minute or so all ok.

At first found the info I needed was tedious, but now that I have set up the home screens as I want them, it's perfect. I just hand gesture between my 2 screens and it defaults back to last one in use at next startup ( For me maps and trip). I wish a few Youtubers would spend a few mins doing this before giving out. (Incl Bjorn).

Just back home after doing 172 km today (With a few stops) totally relaxed. Will stick up a few pics of charging, trip info etc later.

eagerv wrote: »
    Mine is fine, only problem so far a flat battery in the fob, shouldn't happen when the car was a few days old.:)

At startup, screen is a bit slow, but after a minute or so all ok.

At first found the info I needed was tedious, but now that I have set up the home screens as I want them, it's perfect. I just hand gesture between my 2 screens and it defaults back to last one in use at next startup ( For me maps and trip). I wish a few Youtubers would spend a few mins doing this before giving out. (Incl Bjorn).

Just back home after doing 172 km today (With a few stops) totally relaxed. Will stick up a few pics of charging, trip info etc later.

Do your voice commands work well?

Matt was speaking really clearly when he was looking for the street in Rugby, but I don't think he was giving the car enough time after he said the key words to alert the system that he was going to speak.

Do your voice commands work well?

Matt was speaking really clearly when he was looking for the street in Rugby, but I don't think he was giving the car enough time after he said the key words to alert the system that he was going to speak.

Yes seems to have learnt my voice at this stage.:)

But the nav appears to be limited by whats in its database. For example it doesn't understand "Navigate to Kilmore Quay" which is a well known village (but doesn't appear to show up on the map), but if you say "Navigate to the Silver Fox Restaurant, Kilmore Quay" it works fine.

Not too worried to be honest, will use Android Auto for serious navigation when available.

Haven't seen Matts' video yet, seems to not work atm for me. I am finding the car efficient with Wexford roads. Did 172 km today within the county at the speed limit wherever possible. Will post up a few details later..

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

On the bugs list I've had so far:

Airbag warning once - apparently fairly common, went away next time car started

Restricted front assist - happened once, went away after a few minutes

Road sign recognition error and GPS craziness - this one was interesting. Road sign recognition gave the warning and then started to work intermittently. The GPS recognised that I was moving but didn't follow the map, it just continued in a straight line across the countryside. I had to keep ACC off as it kept trying to brake for non-existent turns and signs. Restarting the infotainment system did nothing. The car was parked for about half an hour and the problem remained on restart but then fixed itself after 10 minutes.

I've also come across a few spots where it consistently picks up an incorrect speed limit but that's more due to outdated mapping than an actual software bug.

On the bugs list I've had so far:

Airbag warning once - apparently fairly common, went away next time car started

Restricted front assist - happened once, went away after a few minutes

Road sign recognition error and GPS craziness - this one was interesting. Road sign recognition gave the warning and then started to work intermittently. The GPS recognised that I was moving but didn't follow the map, it just continued in a straight line across the countryside. I had to keep ACC off as it kept trying to brake for non-existent turns and signs. Restarting the infotainment system did nothing. The car was parked for about half an hour and the problem remained on restart but then fixed itself after 10 minutes.

I've also come across a few spots where it consistently picks up an incorrect speed limit but that's more due to outdated mapping than an actual software bug.

Had a few of those as well, but as you say usually outdated mapping. Also picks up slip/side road speed signs occasionally, but that's a problem with most cars I have driven with this system.

The one area I was worried about on the Base 1st was the lights. But the LEDs are good, the auto dipping works very well. Much better than my last Honda which would often be slow to return to full beam and often would not dip if car approaching on a bend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

Did not notice to many bugs with my car. Nearly 3 weeks now. But I don't look at the screen all the time so maybe I don't notice them at all. I just put in D sport mode and enjoy my drive.

Advertisement