Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

jusmeig wrote: »
    Because it says "ID3 Review", and it looks like he accidently drives it to flat and calls the AA. I've seen him do a segment where the purpose of the video was to drive 5 different EVs to flat, to see what happened, but in that he was not reviewing them.

It's not a very good advertisement for the car (and Carwow sell cars). Is it a thing that you need to see what happens an electric car if it breaks down as part of a review to inform your purchase?
    the title of the video clearly states "I drove the Volkswagen ID.3 until it DIED" its not a good advertisement for the car all the issues he had with the tech not working \ randomly stopping. people like me want to know what the actual range of the vehicle actually is when the car is driven how it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

This is ridiculous.
    How many new ICE cars do CarWow drive to empty, call the AA and have rescued...

CarWow viewer -> not buying one of them things.

I think range to empty is one of the main metrics used in evaluating EVs, so it makes sense to test this to find out what it is in the real world. It's important that buyers know how reliable range figures are.

This isn't an issue with ICE cars as they can refuel quickly and conveniently at numerous points on any journey.

I don't think Mat is anti EV. The only slight bias I see in his reports is towards Tesla. But that's pretty much across the board with reviewers. TeslaBjorn is guilty of this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

TeslaBjorn is guilty of this too.

TeslaBjorn -> His ones are clearly Range tests, not reviews.
    The title is complete clickbait agreed as someone pointed out, and I want to know the real-world range also.

But did he set out to drive the car to zero?
    He talks about a charger he knows and the fact that is trying to get to this, but then drives around a town and call the AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

It looks like it might not be possible to just change the driver side arm to the top position. The passenger arm mounting is higher than the driver side. If you changed the position of the arms, they wouldn't sit straight anymore, and may even cause a clash of the blades during the wipe.

The wiper motors appear to be symmetrical in car. The two crank arms have a different bend to allow left side to sit higher than right. It looks like changing these arms around would make the right the lead wiper.

Other manufacturers like Ford and Peugeot manage to do this correctly..

Last time he did this he drove around in loops near the charger so that he could charge the car when it died. Here he appeared to be drumming up business for the RAC who it just so happens have a service available to rescue EVs which have run out of charge.
    The software faults and fit and finish faults were of more interest to me but I don't remember him telling viewers that OTA fixes will be available for software faults.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

But did he set out to drive the car to zero?
    He talks about a charger he knows and the fact that is trying to get to this, but then drives around a town and call the AA.

Yes, he did.

He mentions the charger, because he wants to be as close as possible to it when the battery finally does run out, same as in the other 100-0 video they did.

And did he actually call the AA, or just appear to be calling them for the purposes of the video, ala what Top Gear alway do/did with their scripted pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yes, he did.

He mentions the charger, because he wants to be as close as possible to it when the battery finally does run out, same as in the other 100-0 video they did.

And did he actually call the AA, or just appear to be calling them for the purposes of the video, ala what Top Gear alway do/did with their scripted pieces.

RAC came with a mobile charger.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

TitianGerm wrote: »
    RAC came with a mobile charger.

fair enough, and probably only gave him what he needed to get to teh charger that was close by

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

fair enough, and probably only gave him what he needed to get to teh charger that was close by

yup they did, and he mentioned quite clearly that this was not a common thing due to home charging and the fact the car warns you from 50miles (20%) range to charge the battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Last time he did this he drove around in loops near the charger so that he could charge the car when it died. Here he appeared to be drumming up business for the RAC who it just so happens have a service available to rescue EVs which have run out of charge.
    The software faults and fit and finish faults were of more interest to me but I don't remember him telling viewers that OTA fixes will be available for software faults.

I quite liked the point on cheap plastics. Essentially they now have more overheads and this is where they are cutting costs. VW has definitely dropped in quality (t-roc, t-cross, even the golf8).

The RAC, probably is a plug, but a question would be for anyone with a e-car, what happens if the battery dies? I think it’s just being thorough in fairness and showing companies are working on solutions.

For the software, no one knows what will happen there until released. You’d hope they properly test it...

• Advertisement

ddarcy wrote: »
    I quite liked the point on cheap plastics. Essentially they now have more overheads and this is where they are cutting costs. VW has definitely dropped in quality (t-roc, t-cross, even the golf8).

The RAC, probably is a plug, but a question would be for anyone with a e-car, what happens if the battery dies? I think it’s just being thorough in fairness and showing companies are working on solutions.

For the software, no one knows what will happen there until released. You’d hope they properly test it...

If your touching, pressing and rubbing you car plastics your probably not focusing enough on the road when driving.

In the 15 years I'm driving I can honestly say I've not spent over 10 minutes touching the plastics in any of my cars or any car I've sat or travelled in.

As long as the car is comfortable and gives the power you need that's the most important thing.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If your touching, pressing and rubbing you car plastics your probably not focusing enough on the road when driving.

In the 15 years I'm driving I can honestly say I've not spent over 10 minutes touching the plastics in any of my cars or any car I've sat or travelled in.

As long as the car is comfortable and gives the power you need that's the most important thing.

I don’t disagree. But if you have the soft touch materials the car gives an impression of higher quality. But I think it annoys some people. Also some plastics are really bad (looking at you Kia) and makes it feel cheap.

On that, it wasn’t until I started watching some of the car reviews that it was even brought up. I never considered it when buying a car...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

We are picking up ours on Saturday.
    The dealer sent me the reg and VIN. He also sent a video on we connect, but it seemed centred on a golf, also that process doesn't work, the portal rejects the VIN when I try to add vehicle.
    What is the process for we connect and the ID3?

ddarcy wrote: »
    . I never considered it when buying a car...

I'd guess the vast majority don't.

People mostly care how the car drives and how it looks on the outside and how it looks on the inside.

The big take aways I had from sitting in the ID3 before even driving it was the feeling of space from the drivers seat, not overly cluttered interior and the comfortable seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I wonder, would they really save money on plastic, I mean the stuff is not exactly expensive. It might have something to do with the whole carbon neutral schtick, maybe the soft ones are many more times more polluting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

njburke wrote: »
    We are picking up ours on Saturday.
    The dealer sent me the reg and VIN. He also sent a video on we connect, but it seemed centred on a golf, also that process doesn't work, the portal rejects the VIN when I try to add vehicle.
    What is the process for we connect and the ID3?

I doubt you'd be able to add the car to your account until the dealer has enabled the car for delivery. Maybe try again tomorrow.

I wonder, would they really save money on plastic, I mean the stuff is not exactly expensive. It might have something to do with the whole carbon neutral schtick, maybe the soft ones are many more times more polluting.

Per individual car, not really. Probably a couple 100 euro per car. But then multiply it by x million and it starts to add up. Also the cheap plastics cut a little weight out off the car too which may give another kilometre or two in the testing.

It’s typically why cars don’t come with a spare anymore as it’s a weight saving, giving extra mpg and more cost saving.

Another generally positive review...
    https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/volkswagen-id-3-a-full-blown-leap-into-the-electric-world-that-doesn-t-disappoint-1.4353812

But the reason Im posting it is more the bit at the end of the article, which I think isnt too far off the mark
    In summary, Volkswagen has delivered a new electric car that is worth buying. It’s better to drive than similarly priced rivals, with a build quality we’ve come to expect from VW hatchbacks. What lets it down is some of the ancillary tech.

In the battle for the future of the automotive world, we are getting a clearer profile of the protagonists thanks to cars like this.

On one side is a company with a proven track record in building quality cars but a novice when it comes to tech, competing against the likes of Tesla, a tech company that is struggling to build quality cars. Merkel and every motorist wondering about their next car will be interested to see how this plays out. The question being asked: can VW become Tesla, before Tesla becomes VW?

Not sure if it was there before but the Series ID3 is live on the VW Configurator now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Yes, he did.

Yup watched the start again, missed that bit :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,169 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone else noticing the voice reception when on a phone call is poorer than normal? Not sure why my golf was a bit patchy on the same road but not unusable.

Tried ionity there for the first time, 10% to 75% in 30 minutes, basically the amount of time it took to have a Mc Donalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Greenbin

For anyone looking at the VW contribution of €1000 towards the home charger, I just got confirmation from dealer that it will only cover installation costs if you order the full package from Elli.
    I was looking to buy the basic charger and have my own electrician install it as most prep work already done laying cables etc.
    They would only cover the €400 odd cost of charger and definitely will not pay anything towards my own electricians bill.
    Am going to go for service plan instead.

Greenbin wrote: »
    For anyone looking at the VW contribution of €1000 towards the home charger, I just got confirmation from dealer that it will only cover installation costs if you order the full package from Elli.
    I was looking to buy the basic charger and have my own electrician install it as most prep work already done laying cables etc.
    They would only cover the €400 odd cost of charger and definitely will not pay anything towards my own electricians bill.

I've the same question into VW Ireland. Didnt get a response yet.

Whats the service plan actually worth though?

Or would taking the more expensive charge point be better value? I'm considering that option.

Bear in mind the ID.3 has a 2 year service interval. Cant imagine it will cost much to service. I think one of the service plans includes a set of tyres but you can buy those yourself anyway so you wont be gaining there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Greenbin

KCross wrote: »

Whats the service plan actually worth though?

Or would taking the more expensive charge point be better value? I'm considering that option.

Bear in mind the ID.3 has a 2 year service interval. Cant imagine it will cost much to service. I think one of the service plans includes a set of tyres but you can buy those yourself anyway so you wont be gaining there.

Original plan was to get the cheapest charger for time being. Will be putting in solar panels in a few months so will need Zappi charger. Was then going to move vw charger to parents place couple of hours away where we regularly visit. No point getting the expensive vw one as it won’t handle load balancing like Zappi.
    Will go for the service plan and at least I won’t have to buy tyres for a few years.

No point getting the expensive vw one as it won’t handle load balancing like Zappi.

The VW one is supposed to get that functionality added via firmware update next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

The VW one is supposed to get that functionality added via firmware update next year.

Is that only on the highest model? Not sure the basic one supports that

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Is that only on the highest model? Not sure the basic one supports that

Basic has it too.
    Details here

https://charging-energy.elli.eco/ie-en/IDcharger#product_comparison

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

When Signing up to the First Movers 1 YR Free Charging - I only see the PAYG plan - do you sign up to this plan & the free allowance will be automatically applied? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

When Signing up to the First Movers 1 YR Free Charging - I only see the PAYG plan - do you sign up to this plan & the free allowance will be automatically applied? Thanks.

Should be the We Charge Plus, with Ionity at €0.30/kWh and 2000kWh charging credit...

That's the one I am using..

• Advertisement

Got confirmation of that from VW ireland now also.

The €1k offer is only if you use the Elli service for the charge point and/or install. You cant buy a non-VW charge point and you cant get your own electrician.... Elli or nothing.

You can buy the charge point only with no install but you wont get any money towards the install then.

So, the decision then is, which one gives the best value....

- Whats the service plan worth
    vs
    - Whats the charge point worth.

I'm leaning towards the expensive charge point as it looks like a decent charge point that will be there for years, albeit a bit big looking but I dont care about that.

I'd need to see more details on the service plan but with a 2 yr service interval (unlimited mileage) its hard to see how you'd get decent value out of it even if it included tyres.

Anyone got specifics/confirmation on the service plan that you get with this offer?

Advertisement