Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

eagerv wrote: »
    Should be the We Charge Plus, with Ionity at €0.30/kWh and 2000kWh charging credit...

That's the one I am using..

Thanks & I don't have that option - found a screenshots that drunkmonkey put on (around #344) that shows that option with the plus plan in his app (& reference to the free credit) but i don't have that option yet - i think its cause i haven't registered the car with the app.

Problem for me is that the car isn't producing the QR code & i'm getting the message "Sorry, something went wrong while connecting to We Connect ID.3. Please try again later" from the car info-system - i'm hoping as i've only picked it up (i.e. 2 hours ago) then it will take time to come online. That my hope anyway!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭eagerv

KCross wrote: »
    Got confirmation of that from VW ireland now also.

The €1k offer is only if you use the Elli service for the charge point and/or install. You cant buy a non-VW charge point and you cant get your own electrician.... Elli or nothing.

You can buy the charge point only with no install but you wont get any money towards the install then.

So, the decision then is, which one gives the best value....

- Whats the service plan worth
    vs
    - Whats the charge point worth.

I'm leaning towards the expensive charge point as it looks like a decent charge point that will be there for years, albeit a bit big looking but I dont care about that.

I'd need to see more details on the service plan but with a 2 yr service interval (unlimited mileage) its hard to see how you'd get decent value out of it even if it included tyres.

Anyone got specifics/confirmation on the service plan that you get with this offer?[/QUOTE]

It is the large service plan or what ever they call it. Don't have the contract with me here, but from memory includes servicing, filters, tyres. etc.

Probably worth €600 or a bit more, I am sure VW don't do tyres cheaply..

If we didn't have a Zappi already, I probably would have gone for a VW charger and got it installed locally at my own cost.

The €1k offer is only if you use the Elli service for the charge point and/or install. You cant buy a non-VW charge point and you cant get your own electrician.... Elli or nothing.

You can buy the charge point only with no install but you wont get any money towards the install then.

vs

I'm leaning towards the expensive charge point as it looks like a decent charge point that will be there for years, albeit a bit big looking but I dont care about that.

I'd need to see more details on the service plan but with a 2 yr service interval (unlimited mileage) its hard to see how you'd get decent value out of it even if it included tyres.

Anyone got specifics/confirmation on the service plan that you get with this offer?

I went with the service plan - 3 major services i was told & had believed that it comes with a tyre change but dealer said no.. For me, The charger didn't make sense as you can buy a normal charger for 250EUR - can't see what having a fancy charger will give me extra..

Thanks & I don't have that option - found a screenshots that drunkmonkey put on (around #344) that shows that option with the plus plan in his app (& reference to the free credit) but i don't have that option yet - i think its cause i haven't registered the car with the app.

Problem for me is that the car isn't producing the QR code & i'm getting the message "Sorry, something went wrong while connecting to We Connect ID.3. Please try again later" from the car info-system - i'm hoping as i've only picked it up (i.e. 2 hours ago) then it will take time to come online. That my hope anyway!!

Don't worry, ours wouldn't work till later in evening after we got car.

Enjoy car and best wishes....

I went with the service plan - 3 major services i was told & had believed that it comes with a tyre change but dealer said no.. For me, The charger didn't make sense as you can buy a normal charger for 250EUR - can't see what having a fancy charger will give me extra..

The only option they gave me was the 3 year service plan, including tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

vs

Anyone got specifics/confirmation on the service plan that you get with this offer?

Can you not get the three months free payments?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It is the large service plan or what ever they call it. Don't have the contract with me here, but from memory includes servicing, filters, tyres. etc.

Probably worth €600 or a bit more, I am sure VW don't do tyres cheaply..

If we didn't have a Zappi already, I probably would have gone for a VW charger and got it installed locally at my own cost.
    The only option they gave me was the 3 year service plan, including tyres.

3yr service plan is a bit sneaky when its a 2yr service interval!

So you will in effect just get one service (a filter!).
    And, fair enough, a set of tyres probably worth about €500 fitted so as you said overall worth about €600.

The ID. Charger Connect (mid range model which includes app support and a few other things I'd like) is €589 so around the same value there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I went with the service plan - 3 major services i was told..

Was it a 3 year service plan or 3 services.... i'd be thinking they said a 3 year plan which is really only one service?

For me, The charger didn't make sense as you can buy a normal charger for 250EUR - can't see what having a fancy charger will give me extra..

Not too many charge points for €250 unless you are talking second hand?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Can you not get the three months free payments?

No, I'm not doing PCP so thats not an option for me.... either service plan or free charge point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

3yr service plan is a bit sneaky when its a 2yr service interval!

I was just about to mention that. I've noticed however that the dealerships aren't mentioning that fact. Obviously hoping no one reads the service intervals and they just go for a yearly service

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I was just about to mention that. I've noticed however that the dealerships aren't mentioning that fact. Obviously hoping no one reads the service intervals and they just go for a yearly service

And new tyres just about in time for trade in.

• Advertisement

And new tyres just about in time for trade in.

Tyres last me for about 40K so hopefully after about 2 yrs will need new ones.
    If not there will b some doughnuts done...

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Shango

Anyone know if its possible to use ACC but turn off the automatic speed detection, its picking up 120 at various points on m50 and sometimes even a 50 which can be dangerous as it suddenly starts breaking? Cheers boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heron_joe

Shango wrote: »
    Anyone know if its possible to use ACC but turn off the automatic speed detection, its picking up 120 at various points on m50 and sometimes even a 50 which can be dangerous as it suddenly starts breaking? Cheers boys.

Yes, it’s possible. By pressing the assist button at the bottom of the tablet, it shows the assist features and selecting the road sign you can switch it off.

Anyone know if the esb 22kW chargers are subject to the max 45 minute charge and the overstay fee. Seems to be some confusion on what is termed fast charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

heron_joe wrote: »
    Anyone know if the esb 22kW chargers are subject to the max 45 minute charge and the overstay fee. Seems to be some confusion on what is termed fast charging.
    I think they are if you charge via we charge. The pricing for the ac and dc charging is the same.

Anyone signed up for the discounted tolls? trying online @ www.eflow.ie but they don't have the ID.3 in the model for Volkswagen make (don't even have EGOLF).

I think they are if you charge via we charge. The pricing for the ac and dc charging is the same.

Best value is to be got from ionity and dc charging then I guess. Don’t have access to a home charger yet so need to use the public network for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭kris_2021

Anyone signed up for the discounted tolls? trying online @ www.eflow.ie but they don't have the ID.3 in the model for Volkswagen make (don't even have EGOLF).

You need to call them and they will sort you out.

kris_2021 wrote: »
    You need to call them and they will sort you out.

Done & painless - thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,169 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I signed up over the phone, got a letter from them yesterday to say they can't approve yet as the car isn't taxed, I taxed it on the 1st of October.

• Advertisement

I signed up over the phone, got a letter from them yesterday to say they can't approve yet as the car isn't taxed, I taxed it on the 1st of October.

thats a joke & the same will likely happen with mine as tried to tax mine yesterday but the site said 'there is a problem with your record' - that is sum total of the error.. Dealer says he will look into it...

Don't see why they would even check

I signed up with tolltag.

https://bookings.parkmagic.net/pmui/Tolling/EV-Toll-Discounts

No problem with the ID.3.

the FAQ says its only their fast charging points (50KW) - that makes sense to me as 45m @ 22KW won't give much juice.. charging for a few hours later today so will find out later today..

See "How long can I stay at an ESB charge point?" & "What kind of chargers are available to me?" at https://esb.ie/ecars/faqs

the FAQ says its only their fast charging points (50KW) - that makes sense to me as 45m @ 22KW won't give much juice.. charging for a few hours later today so will find out later today..

See "How long can I stay at an ESB charge point?" & "What kind of chargers are available to me?" at https://esb.ie/ecars/faqs

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking but based on what Rusky replied yesterday, since we a we charge customers, we may be subject to the overstay fee on 22 kW chargers also. Which wouldn’t surprise me. I’m going to try 2 separate sessions back to back this morning :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No confusion, DC charging is fast, AC is "slow".
    The 22kW charge points are AC, therefore "slow" and there is no overstay fee currently on AC chargers.

Can't see there ever be a need for an overstay fee on the AC chargers as they are basically spider homes since fees were introduced...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    The 22kW charge points are AC, therefore "slow" and there is no overstay fee currently on AC chargers.

Can't see there ever be a need for an overstay fee on the AC chargers as they are basically spider homes since fees were introduced...
    AC goes up to 43KW and there are cars out there which charge at 43kw. I know this because I know some who own them.
    As someone who was blocked for 20 minutes last Sunday from charging at a 43kw AC Charger by a Smart ForTwo that the owner had abandoned and then gave me lip when I pointed to the sign over the charger which said parking allowed only while charging I can only say you are 100% wrong. His Smart had only taken 8kw and could have been there for hours for all I know. It definitely wasn't charging for the 20 minutes I was waiting.
    Yesterday, the Audi A4 occupying an electric charging spot in a multi-storey car park beside where I was charging received a ticket by the staff while I was hooking up to charge in the last remaining free spot.
    It is simply not possible to put Direct Current in to every possible location but EVs need blanket coverage so AC is important.
    AC chargers are vital pieces of infrastructure in the EV charging grid and abuse of the chargers should be punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

There definitely is an issue where parking is “free” when charging in a number of counties. There’s a leaf and a Zoe where I live that plug in for the day to avoid charges. So probably only getting a few kw/hr for a euro and avoiding the 15-16 euro fee for parking for the day.

So ideally I think an overstay charge beyond some point probably will have to come in as well for these too, until there are enough chargers (literally there is a fast charger and this 22 kw charger only locally).

There was talk on this thread about a week back about installing dashcams onto the ID.3 - anyone completed one? If so, How did you run the cables and was it easy? What cable lengths did you need?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Best value is to be got from ionity and dc charging then I guess. Don’t have access to a home charger yet so need to use the public network for the foreseeable.

Just bear in mind that DC charging is a little less healthier for the overall health of your battery.

If AC charging is available, and you have the time to leave the car AC charging for a few hours, I'd always choose this over DC charging, but I'm planning on keeping my EV for 10+ years, and want the minimum amount of battery degradation as possible..... More DC charging over the life of an EV battery will degrade it faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Just a point to note there, an AC EVSE isn't really a charger.

The Charger is inside your car, the Wallbox you plug into is just a fancy plug socket that negotiates how much AC Current the vehicle is allowed to pull and to lock / unlock the cable (to prevent arcing)

DC Charging bypasses your cars onboard charger and goes direct to the Battery, the rectifier is in the DC Charging box itself.

Open an AC one you'll see it's mostly empty space inside with a small board for the Logic to handle the Mennekes Type 2 Cable.

On the continent for idling it varies between countries, in NL it's usually only allowed to stand on a spot for a maximum 30 minutes after your vehicle is no longer drawing current.

You'll see the Handhaving (kind of traffic wardens with a bit more power) walking around checking for green lights on charging poles (no current being drawn)

They issue a ticket if the car is still there when they come back.

Germany it's 4 hours in some city centers (you set your arrival time with Blue Parking disk)

You eventually need to start bringing in some kind of rule otherwise people will take the p!ss and use the charging spots for free parking.

Advertisement