Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

How's everyones range with a full charge, I'm getting anywhere from 300km to 330km reading when it's full.

If someone doesn’t mind making a note I have a request. EAGERV would be the right man for this. During Winter, if you are taking a trip approx 100km or more with the temperature below 5 degrees. Can you take note of your Wh/km for the trip please. Ideally if you start the trip with a SOC under 40%.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,040 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Irishjg wrote: »
    If someone doesn’t mind making a note I have a request. EAGERV would be the right man for this. During Winter, if you are taking a trip approx 100km or more with the temperature below 5 degrees. Can you take note of your Wh/km for the trip please. Ideally if you start the trip with a SOC under 40%.

If there's an app or excel sheet to help with this I can start logging my journeys when I get the car if you like?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If there's an app or excel sheet to help with this I can start logging my journeys when I get the car if you like?

Fair play to you, that would be great TitianGerm. Many thanks. Any info would be much appreciated especially consumption at lower SOC. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

eagerv wrote: »
    Between 340 and 420 but no motorways in my part of the universe:)

I've been mainly doing small trips that's why i'm not getting why it's so far off the quoted range, It's heavy everywhere. My over all kw/h is showing around 13 I think long term, it's just not adding up.

Fair play to you, that would be great TitianGerm. Many thanks. Any info would be much appreciated especially consumption at lower SOC. Cheers.

Ok I'll do my best :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭eagerv

Was playing around with the heater last night, wasn't very cold on my drive home. About 8C outside and had the car at about 18C (I don't like a car too hot).

Heater appears to use about 2kWh/100km. Not very scientific and not sure if this would be normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I've been mainly doing small trips that's why i'm not getting why it's so far off the quoted range, It's heavy everywhere. My over all kw/h is showing around 13 I think long term, it's just not adding up.

Maybe you are just charging to 80% instead of 100%?

Yes the maths doesn’t add up. I think you said you were getting 330km so your actual kWh/Km is 17.25 instead of 13. If it was 13 you’d be getting around 435km range. Maybe it will correct itself one way or the other when you get the software update.

Yes the maths doesn’t add up. I think you said you were getting 330km so your actual kWh/Km is 17.25 instead of 13. If it was 13 you’d be getting around 435km range. Maybe it will correct itself one way or the other when you get the software update.

Yes I agree, I don't fully trust the GOM as yet, my long term over almost 2K km is 14.9kWh/100km.

At least it seams constant, I find 4km/% is my way of knowing what is possible, even if it means slowing up a bit. In our Ioniq you have to be careful when the battery gets lower due to the gom not being constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Maybe you are just charging to 80% instead of 100%?

I'm sure it's 100%, I have the button switched for charging to 100%, it's just stopped charging there now and showing 330km on the nose.

Off on a staycation in a couple of hours so hopefully it'll improve with the longer spin, it's cold out there though...

• Advertisement

When I had my leaf 2.0 the summer range was ok ish. But Jesus when winter arrived my eyes were opened. The range on my car was truly terrible. I couldn’t get more than 180km out of it and I’m not heavy footed at all. I had no option to change, I couldn’t live with the car. That was just my experience and no reflection to anyone else. So yes the cold weather can be a b%tc#

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Batteries do not like the cold and brand is irrelevant, VW, Nissan or Tesla will all go down ~30%, some may fare better on longer runs with pre-conditioning and all will suffer "departure" tax

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Batteries do not like the cold and brand is irrelevant, VW, Nissan or Tesla will all go down ~30%, some may fare better on longer runs with pre-conditioning and all will suffer "departure" tax

Absolutely. A trip I did only a few weeks ago gave me almost exactly WLTP, but temp was about 18C, with no heater/aircon needed. But yesterday similar driving was nearly 15% less. And temperatures not too cold yet..

Actually not too dissimilar to my previous ICE..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Bjorn did an Artic circle run with temps about 5-8°C so you'll get good stats on that. He shows the figures for each leg. Seems to vary between 15Wh/km to 23Wh/km iirc.

The ones to look at are the ones where he starts out with a cold battery.

He seems quite impressed with the ID.3 in general for efficiency and all round performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

eagerv wrote: »
    Yes I agree, I don't fully trust the GOM as yet, my long term over almost 2K km is 14.9kWh/100km.

At least it seams constant, I find 4km/% is my way of knowing what is possible, even if it means slowing up a bit.

When you say slowing up a bit do you mean you drive below the speed limit a lot?

In a 100km/h limit i would drive at say 103/104 on the clock, would you be much below that to get near the 400km range?

KCross wrote: »
    Bjorn did an Artic circle run with temps about 5-8°C so you'll get good stats on that. He shows the figures for each leg. Seems to vary between 15Wh/km to 23Wh/km iirc.

The ones to look at are the ones where he starts out with a cold battery.

He seems quite impressed with the ID.3 in general for efficiency and all round performance.[/QUOTE

Yes thanks but that’s why I’d like the Irish data to do a comparison. The Nordic model comes with a heat pump whereas our model does not. Hence the request for the Irish data. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

Mr Q wrote: »
    When you say slowing up a bit do you mean you drive below the speed limit a lot?

In a 100km/h limit i would drive at say 103/104 on the clock, would you be much below that to get near the 400km range?

I'm getting around 400km on full charge & tend to try and stick to 90km/h (on a mix of both 80 km/h and 100 km/h roads)

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If keeping it in the 20-80% range, would it be bad to drop below 20% occasionally? 20-80 wouldn't be big range, particularly in Winter. I'm sure there will be times where I'll want to run a few errands or drive somewhere and it would be around 20%.

Also is topping up bad for the car? If I know I'm doing some errands is it ok to charge for an hour?

Mr Q wrote: »

I drive at the indicated speed limit or a little above where I can.
    But a lot of my driving is on rural roads where even in a car with good handling like the ID3, if you drive at 80km/h you will end up in the ditch..:)

And on my 100km/h roads I can rarely hold 103, probably closer to 90 with lorries etc.

So yes, my driving would be more economical than most, but I am not slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

DaveyDave wrote: »
    If keeping it in the 20-80% range, would it be bad to drop below 20% occasionally? 20-80 wouldn't be big range, particularly in Winter. I'm sure there will be times where I'll want to run a few errands or drive somewhere and it would be around 20%.

Letting it go below 20% or above 80% will do no damage whatsoever in repect to the lifespan of the car.

The only thing you need to ensure is that you dont let the car at 0% or 100% for prolonged periods (weeks). Other than that, drive it and charge it as it suits you.

If you know you dont need the full range then just charge it to 80%. The 100% charge is for the night you know you have a long journey the following day.
    Also is topping up bad for the car? If I know I'm doing some errands is it ok to charge for an hour?

As long as you are not continuously topping it up to 100%.
    If you charge overnight to 80% and then you do 10km's in it and then charge it back to 80% when you get home, that will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heron_joe

I read somewhere, can’t remember if it was here, not to leave it with less than 10% overnight? Would be because the cold weather affects the battery? Or is it an issue at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

heron_joe wrote: »
    I read somewhere, can’t remember if it was here, not to leave it with less than 10% overnight? Would be because the cold weather affects the battery? Or is it an issue at all?

Why on earth would anyone leave it with less than 10% overnight??
    God forbid if something should happen and you need to go somewhere in a hurry....
    Just keep a reasonable amount of juice in the battery, without constantly topping up or running really low.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

You are all worrying way too much about battery management, the ID.3 has a big enough battery with buffers and a grown up battery management system that you don't have to worry about it so much. So longs as you avoid charging it to 100% before going on holiday or running it to 0% before the same you'll be grand.

I think I found my car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Both are fine if you do them occasionally. If you're going on a long journey and need 100% then charge to 100% the night before.

Similarly, if you go down to 10% while getting home the car isn't wrecked, it's perfectly fine.

What damages the batteries is leaving them for a long time (several days or weeks) either above 80% or below 20%. Short times outside this range are well within the batteries ability to handle

Similarly topping up is fine. In fact one of the most time efficient ways to do long journeys is called the ABC (Always Be Charging) method, where you drive as fast as possible and charge the car often at fast chargers so that you maximise the time spent at the fastest rate of charging.

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heron_joe

rx8 wrote: »
    Why on earth would anyone leave it with less than 10% overnight??
    God forbid if something should happen and you need to go somewhere in a hurry....
    Just keep a reasonable amount of juice in the battery, without constantly topping up or running really low.

:D had to make an unplanned detour yesterday and don’t have a charger at home yet. Def remember reading something before about not leaving it below a certain % overnight, but that just might have been a bit of paranoia to avoid draining battery with something left on :D

It was still at ~10% this morn anyway. Had the key sync issue today aswell, thanks to whoever posted it in the thread before, I knew exactly what to do and avoid panic :D

The tyre pressure error came on in the car aswell and checked the pressure of a couple of the tyres and I’m pretty sure there were ~45 psi, which is too much according to Bridgestone. Anyone else notice this??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I think I found my car :)

Lookin' well at the dealership this morning.

I'll be joining the Wexford ID.3 massive in a Tour early next year. :D

Lookin' well at the dealership this morning.

I'll be joining the Wexford ID.3 massive in a Tour early next year. :D

There's a good few in the wild in Wexford. I saw two in Wexford town over the weekend, one in Enniscothy last week and one in Tesco Gorey last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

There's a good few in the wild in Wexford. I saw two in Wexford town over the weekend, one in Enniscothy last week and one in Tesco Gorey last week.

Yeah, and there's a load of white ones ready for delivery at the dealership. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Just wanted to see if anyone else has this with the reversing camera. Send like it is off centred. Wondering if anyone else sees that. Given where I park, the bit that is missing is actually useful. I’d assume it’s supposed to cover over the blank / blackened right side.

Advertisement