Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Yes. EO Mini tethered.

I don't know anything about the ID.3 display, but you could look at it another way, as follows:

At a charging "rate" of 25 km/h, if its assumed that your charger is operating at 3.6kW then, working backwards and ignoring losses, this would mean that your car consumes charge during driving at a rate of 14.4 kwh per 100km

However if it is assumed that your charger is operating at 7.2 kW then it means that your car is consuming charge during driving at a rate of 28.8 kwh per 100 km.

So, if you check your car's display to see if its average rate of consumption during is anywhere close to either of the above then it may indicate either one or the other charging rates

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

pdpmur wrote: »
    I don't know anything about the ID.3 display, but you could look at it another way, as follows:

At a charging "rate" of 25 km/h, if its assumed that your charger is operating at 3.6kW then, working backwards and ignoring losses, this would mean that your car consumes charge during driving at a rate of 14.4 kwh per 100km

However if it is assumed that your charger is operating at 7.2 kW then it means that your car is consuming charge during driving at a rate of 28.8 kwh per 100 km.

So, if you check your car's display to see if its average rate of consumption during is anywhere close to either of the above then it may indicate either one or the other charging rates

My long term trip meter is reading 19.7kw/100km.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yes. EO Mini tethered.
    eagerv wrote: »
    OK, I wouldn't worry too much about the km/hour charging speed. It takes a while to settle down. As you say, it's your first charge.

Try a few more charges and try and check time/ percentage of battery. Then you will know if your charger is outputting correctly.

Titian, I just went out and plugged in and took a pic of the charging screen.
    Zappi indicates 7.2kW going to car (Less losses).
    Make sure "Reduced charging current" is not enabled.

vF2TFmw.jpg

Titian, I just went out and plugged in and took a pic of the charging screen.
    Zappi indicates 7.2kW going to car (Less losses).
    Make sure "Reduced charging current" is not enabled.

vF2TFmw.jpg

Thanks Eagerv. My reduced charging rate looks the same as yours on the top right.

I'm charging at around 4.4kw/h then if my maths are right (25km/41km)*7.2kw = 4.39kw.

I'll plug into one of the ESB chargers tonight and see what that reads as.

Edit: there's an ALM installed beside my meter box. That's hardly reducing the current even though the shower wasn't running?

There were no other large appliances running when I plugged in either.

Thanks Eagerv. My reduced charging rate looks the same as yours.

I'll plug into one of the ESB chargers tonight and see what that reads as.

It's probably just because car is new and your kWh/100km will settle down.

Don't worry about the km/hour charging as that will initially be all over the place.

Concentrate more on the time to fill battery.

• Advertisement

It's probably just because car is new and your kWh/100km will settle down.

Don't worry about the km/hour charging as that will initially be all over the place.

Concentrate more on the time to fill battery.

Oki dokie. Seeing as I'm new to all this I'm trying to get my head around it :pac:

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the charging display read kw/h rather than km/h when charging?

Oki dokie. Seeing as I'm new to all this I'm trying to get my head around it :pac:

Wouldn't it make more sense to have the charging display read kw/h rather than km/h when charging?

Absolutely, should be kW, hopefully will be there after big update. Many have asked for it..

My long term trip meter is reading 19.7kw/100km.

Mine is at 16.1kW/100km, but was unfortunately reset when recent software update done. Only done trip home from garage and a few local trips since..

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Mine is at 16.1kW/100km, but was unfortunately reset when recent software update done. Only done trip home from garage and a few local trips since..

Mine is around 20.5KW/h per 100KM for total.. (about 1300KM to date) - 60% of that total would be 120-130KM on motorways..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

I live in a private estate. Management company are very proactive and installed communal charging points literally outside my door. Electrician was down today doing the last bits and I asked him how much power could they deliver. He looked at me as if I asked what the third secret of Fatima was lol. He said he didn’t know. Anyway his apprentice said 11kwh. Maybe I asked the question arse ways. If the charger is able for 11kwh. I’m right in thinking 5 hours approx would see the car charged to 80percent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Johnfred

I am still waiting to get my Elli charger installed. I was promised it would be installed in October but the latest I’ve heard is there is a problem with the Elli chargers and they need a software update to function properly. I paid in full when I ordered on 1st September and am peed off that I have to depend on the granny cable and public charging stations to charge my car. I have also contacted VW about the €1000 rebate towards the cost of the charger but have heard nothing back.
    Anyone else in the same position?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jonnythefox

Just got mine installed today.
    Model was Charger connect.
    A bit underwhelmed tbh.
    The installer didn’t put it where I asked him to mount it and left a bit of a mess behind him.
    The charger itself works fine. The we charge app shows the charging period but doesn’t show how many kw/h
    Still no option to preheat the battery for conditioning.
    Or maybe the car does it automatically if plugged in.. idk.?
    The connection to the charger itself is less than useless. When you connect to the configuration manager of the charger most of the menus are still under construction. I’m not too sure what’s the benefit of a WiFi to the charger? Maybe the base model is a better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

On Sunday i got 11KW/h from a 22KW/h charger & the only 1 charging (reported by the charger)

The charging cable supplied by VW is 16 amp. The 22kw charger would then limit the the charge to 11KW/h (resistance of the cable is greater).

If you had a 32 amp cable the charger would recognise this and allow the full 22KW/h to flow. (VW, amongst others, cost saving).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The charging cable supplied by VW is 16 amp. The 22kw charger would then limit the the charge to 11KW/h (resistance of the cable is greater).

If you had a 32 amp cable the charger would recognise this and allow the full 22KW/h to flow. (VW, amongst others, cost saving).

The max the ID.3 can pull, regardless of charge point or cable, is 11kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Nope, ID.3 can take 11kW max from a 3 phase charger

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

The installer didn’t put it where I asked him to mount it and left a bit of a mess behind him.
    The charger itself works fine. The we charge app shows the charging period but doesn’t show how many kw/h

Yeah that's all electricians sure, useless shower the lot of them. Never met any that rated higher than 4/10 on the competency scale

Maybe double check the manual but I think it was only the pro version that could do kWh measurements?

Pretty sure that's done via the car, unless VW have patched some extra features on top of the normal charging protocols then there's no way to tell the car to preheat the battery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Just got mine installed today.
    Model was Charger connect.
    A bit underwhelmed tbh.
    The connection to the charger itself is less than useless. When you connect to the configuration manager of the charger most of the menus are still under construction. I’m not too sure what’s the benefit of a WiFi to the charger? Maybe the base model is a better choice.

Where did you want it? Strange if they just ignored your request.
    Data cable looks a bit crap thrown on at that height

Maybe double check the manual but I think it was only the pro version that could do kWh measurements?

Thanks cruisey187. Your right it seems to be in the pro version only. Just a bit of a nuisance you can see a history of the charging period in the app but it just states 0kw/h. Don’t show it if the feature isn’t available. See picture attached! ( and the time period doesn’t add up)

Felexicon wrote: »
    Where did you want it? Strange if they just ignored your request.
    Data cable looks a bit crap thrown on at that height

Ya it’s all a bit crap looking! I wanted to the left , off the brick corner and higher. The charger itself isn’t bad. Fairly slim. The wires could be ran better. The Mrs isn’t too pleased with all the black wires hanging off the side of the house. I was thinking I could get some white sleeves to cover them.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Ya it’s all a bit crap looking! I wanted to the left , off the brick corner and higher. The charger itself isn’t bad. Fairly slim. The wires could be ran better. The Mrs isn’t too pleased with all the black wires hanging off the side of the house. I was thinking I could get some white sleeves to cover them.

If it's any help to you (or anyone else for that matter) when I got my charger installed earlier this year I wasn't thrilled with it either as it was on my brickwork. What I did in the end (at the suggestion of a local printer) was I emailed a digital photo of a sample of the brickwork the printer required and he made up a vinyl wrap poster. I cut this to various sizes and wrapped the cables. I got a grey one to cover in between the bricks. Came out very well and only cost about €25 IIRC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Johnny that only looks like a 16a isolator and the cable is quite small. I recon you’ll only get 3.7kwh on a single phase supply but I hope I’m wrong. I can’t see you getting 7kwh from that cable and you’d need a 32a isolator for protection anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Johnfred wrote: »
    I am still waiting to get my Elli charger installed. I was promised it would be installed in October but the latest I’ve heard is there is a problem with the Elli chargers and they need a software update to function properly. I paid in full when I ordered on 1st September and am peed off that I have to depend on the granny cable and public charging stations to charge my car. I have also contacted VW about the €1000 rebate towards the cost of the charger but have heard nothing back.
    Anyone else in the same position?

Yep - i'm waiting to hear from them - said mid november for me..

If it's any help to you (or anyone else for that matter) when I got my charger installed earlier this year I wasn't thrilled with it either as it was on my brickwork. What I did in the end (at the suggestion of a local printer) was I emailed a digital photo of a sample of the brickwork the printer required and he made up a vinyl wrap poster. I cut this to various sizes and wrapped the cables. I got a grey one to cover in between the bricks. Came out very well and only cost about €25 IIRC

That's actually a really nice idea, especially if you have textured walls like brick or pebble dash. I might give that a go as I've got steel conduits running down the side of the house and wouldn't mind hiding them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Irishjg wrote: »
    Johnny that only looks like a 16a isolator and the cable is quite small. I recon you’ll only get 3.7kwh on a single phase supply but I hope I’m wrong. I can’t see you getting 7kwh from that cable and you’d need a 32a isolator for protection anyway.

You are wrong!

For anyone looking for a short USB C to USB C cable I got this delivered today. Cable is just long enough to reach from the the socket and plug into my P30 Pro while it sits in the phone slot.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LONPUM4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_hVgPFb0HKSRY1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Felexicon wrote: »
    You are wrong!

If Johnnys ID3 that’s plugged into that charger takes 8 hours to charge fully from near empty I am wrong. If it takes 15 hours I’m not wrong. No mystery, he can test it and confirm the result.

Irishjg wrote: »
    If Johnnys ID3 that’s plugged into that charger takes 8 hours to charge fully from near empty I am wrong. If it takes 15 hours I’m not wrong. No mystery, he can test it and confirm the result.

There is a 32amp isolator installed. I am still waiting for the CT coil device installation. So at the moment I am getting 3.7kw but once the CT coil is installed it should jump to 7kw.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I am still waiting for the CT coil device installation. So at the moment I am getting 3.7kw but once the CT coil is installed it should jump to 7kw.

Why would the CT clamp matter to the charge rate?

Unless the installer has purposely limited the charge point until that’s put in?

KCross wrote: »
    Why would the CT clamp matter to the charge rate?

Unless the installer has purposely limited the charge point until that’s put in?

Maybe the CT clamp is for a load balancer and to be safe the electrician limited the charging current so as not to overload anything? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

The CT is probably connected to a sub meter measuring the total load of the house on the main ESB incomer, probably after the main fuse; the EVSE decides on the maximum charging rate available to the car based on this, e.g. if someone uses an electric shower it reduces from 7.4 to 3.6kW. IIRC Webasto or ABL are doing this, possibly more manufacturers. Much more elegant solution than a changeover s/w.

Advertisement