Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Great day for EV driving, temp about 11C and nearly too hot in car with strong sunshine. Heater off.:)

About 40km N Roads at between 80 and 100km/h and about 20km slow traffic driving in and around Waterford. Tried the Bolton St 44kW CCS charger, worked well. Trip computer said 13.2kWh/100km, happy with that..(If it can be trusted..)

xD9yMZ5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 44 seant5215

Just got mine installed today.
    Model was Charger connect.
    A bit underwhelmed tbh.
    The installer didn’t put it where I asked him to mount it and left a bit of a mess behind him.
    The charger itself works fine. The we charge app shows the charging period but doesn’t show how many kw/h
    Still no option to preheat the battery for conditioning.
    Or maybe the car does it automatically if plugged in.. idk.?
    The connection to the charger itself is less than useless. When you connect to the configuration manager of the charger most of the menus are still under construction. I’m not too sure what’s the benefit of a WiFi to the charger? Maybe the base model is a better choice.

Any idea what the lesser guage cable coming out of the charger, running parallel to the ground is? Is it for the future CT Clamp installation? Does this run to the ESB meter box or into the internal fuse board?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

There is a 32amp isolator installed. I am still waiting for the CT coil device installation. So at the moment I am getting 3.7kw but once the CT coil is installed it should jump to 7kw.
    KCross wrote: »
    Why would the CT clamp matter to the charge rate?

Unless the installer has purposely limited the charge point until that’s put in?
    Maybe the CT clamp is for a load balancer and to be safe the electrician limited the charging current so as not to overload anything? :confused:
    glynf wrote: »
    The CT is probably connected to a sub meter measuring the total load of the house on the main ESB incomer, probably after the main fuse; the EVSE decides on the maximum charging rate available to the car based on this, e.g. if someone uses an electric shower it reduces from 7.4 to 3.6kW. IIRC Webasto or ABL are doing this, possibly more manufacturers. Much more elegant solution than a changeover s/w.

What I was getting at, is that the absence of a CT clamp in this case wouldnt cause it to only charge at 3.6kW unless the installer has purposely configured the charge point to only deliver 16A for now?

jonnythefox, is that what the installer has done?

Adding the CT clamp would then allow the car to charge at any rate from 1.4kW up to 7kW depending on the rest of the house load. If the charge point is consistently sending out a flat 3.6kW at the moment it sounds like its configured for 16A only?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

How do people find wet grip in these now that we've had a month or two of rain? Am I right in saying RWD along with extra weight is more planted? My experience in the dry during my test drive along with 3 weeks a 320hp Mustang is that they don't budge.

Trying to pull out of a junction or roundabout quickly in the Golf can be a big fuss in the wet. Sometimes it feels like there's a bit of a deadzone when taking off until you get rolling then the acceleration kicks in. Drive mode can be a bit dull, I've been in sport mode more recently which has a better pedal response so I must see how that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jonnythefox

seant5215 wrote: »
    Any idea what the lesser guage cable coming out of the charger, running parallel to the ground is? Is it for the future CT Clamp installation? Does this run to the ESB meter box or into the internal fuse board?

The smaller cable is going to the meter box
    The large cable is going to the interior fuse board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jonnythefox

KCross wrote: »
    What I was getting at, is that the absence of a CT clamp in this case wouldnt cause it to only charge at 3.6kW unless the installer has purposely configured the charge point to only deliver 16A for now?

jonnythefox, is that what the installer has done?

Adding the CT clamp would then allow the car to charge at any rate from 1.4kW up to 7kW depending on the rest of the house load. If the charge point is consistently sending out a flat 3.6kW at the moment it sounds like its configured for 16A only?

It turns out the installer has installed the CT coil. I have just checked and I am getting 7kw of charge. My understanding of the CT Coil is that if the electric shower is on while the car is charging it will drop the output to 3.6kw.
    If no CT coil is installed I believe it is mandatory for the installer to configure the wallbox to a max output of 3.6kw

DaveyDave wrote: »
    How do people find wet grip in these now that we've had a month or two of rain? Am I right in saying RWD along with extra weight is more planted? My experience in the dry during my test drive along with 3 weeks a 320hp Mustang is that they don't budge.

Trying to pull out of a junction or roundabout quickly in the Golf can be a big fuss in the wet. Sometimes it feels like there's a bit of a deadzone when taking off until you get rolling then the acceleration kicks in. Drive mode can be a bit dull, I've been in sport mode more recently which has a better pedal response so I must see how that goes.

A pleasure on the steep hills of the town near where I live west Co Wexford. Not a hint of wheel spin..

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭4goneConclusion

Johnfred wrote: »
    I am still waiting to get my Elli charger installed. I was promised it would be installed in October but the latest I’ve heard is there is a problem with the Elli chargers and they need a software update to function properly. I paid in full when I ordered on 1st September and am peed off that I have to depend on the granny cable and public charging stations to charge my car. I have also contacted VW about the €1000 rebate towards the cost of the charger but have heard nothing back.
    Anyone else in the same position?

I'm pretty much in the same situation, although i did receive the rebate (I got 826€ which i was told was the 1,000€ less 21% VAT).

It's ridiculous that they would take payment for the installation months ahead of when they could deliver it, without any up front notice. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

I'm pretty much in the same situation, although i did receive the rebate (I got 826€ which i was told was the 1,000€ less 21% VAT).

It's ridiculous that they would take payment for the installation months ahead of when they could deliver it, without any up front notice. :mad:

Did the dealer sort out the rebate for you? how long did it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

My dealer told me I was the first one to take the payments cash back and everyone else went for the charger.

He also said he was getting awful hassle over it because no one had actually had their charger installed and they kept ringing him to complain about it. He said the worst thing is there's nothing he can really do as it's a separate company looking after the charger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭4goneConclusion

Did the dealer sort out the rebate for you? how long did it take?

Yeah the dealer did it all for me. I think it was a month after I had paid for it that I got the rebate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

TitianGerm wrote: »
    My dealer told me I was the first one to take the payments cash back and everyone else went for the charger.

Didn't you buy your car in Wexford Volkswagen? And if you did what he told you wasn't true.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mr Q wrote: »
    Didn't you buy your car in Wexford Volkswagen? And if you did what he told you wasn't true.

Yup I did. Must have been telling fibs so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Yup I did. Must have been telling fibs so :pac:

A car dealer telling fibs? Surely not! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

DaveyDave wrote: »

I every now and again drive on a steep unpaved road. In a front wheel drive car it is a pain with lots of wheel spin and the sides of the car plastered in mud. Not one slip in the id3 and no mud not even inside the rear wheel arches.:)

Just got an email saying that my we-connect has been activated & all my services have now came online - such as seeing in real time charging status (and stopping the charge/increasing the charge %) & also allows for the setting the air-con of the ID.3

Don't know if everyone else has had this activated but new for me (i got the car on the 9th of Oct)..

Just got an email saying that my we-connect has been activated & all my services have now came online - such as seeing in real time charging status (and stopping the charge/increasing the charge %) & also allows for the setting the air-con of the ID.3

Don't know if everyone else has had this activated but new for me (i got the car on the 9th of Oct)..

Mine has been active since the evening I got the car, 22/09.

Was down recently for a day or so, don't know the reason why, but running as normal again. I wouldn't trust it too much, but handy for turning on and off the heating.

If you haven't yet activated the We Charge card, remember it's one year from activation..

eagerv wrote: »
    Mine has been active since the evening I got the car, 22/09.

Was down recently for a day or so, don't know the reason why, but running as normal again. I wouldn't trust it too much, but handy for turning on and off the heating.

If you haven't yet activated the We Charge card, remember it's one year from activation..

Ai - strange that.. Yea, i registered the card on the day but haven't yet been charged for the esb charging sessions - the other features were simply disabled with a red x icon and didn't have any type of dashboard. strange that..

Ai - strange that.. Yea, i registered the card on the day but haven't yet been charged for the esb charging sessions - the other features were simply disabled with a red x icon and didn't have any type of dashboard. strange that..

I only used an ECars charger once so far with my VW We Charge card, about a month ago. Hasn't been debited yet..

Did you do this through the We Connect ID. app?

When I try to select any of the plans through the app I keep getting "Oops! Something went wrong here. Please try again"

Contacted VW and the suggested fix didn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I've had multiple charging sessions on eCars 50kW and standard chargers going back to late september. All the 50kW hours sessions have been charged to my WeCharge account but none of the standard sessions.

Did you do this through the We Connect ID. app?

When I try to select any of the plans through the app I keep getting "Oops! Something went wrong here. Please try again"

Contacted VW and the suggested fix didn't work.

Make sure it's the one with 2000kWh charging credit included. It's called the We Charge Plus.

Cannot remember if I activated it through the app or on my PC, but don't remember any difficulties. If having problems VW should be able to help..

Make sure it's the one with 2000kWh charging credit included. It's called the We Charge Plus.

Cannot remember if I activated it through the app or on my PC, but don't remember any difficulties. If having problems VW should be able to help..

Yeah that is the one I have tried several times. Thankfully I have been charging at home so not needed it yet but I will soon.

Yeah that is the one I have tried several times. Thankfully I have been charging at home so not needed it yet but I will soon.
    where did you see that error message - in the app on the phone or in the info-system of the car?

where did you see that error message - in the app on the phone or in the info-system of the car?

I see it on the phone app when I select the "We Charge" option and get to the "Select a plan" section. Android phone

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Can anyone confirm,
    Not sure if it was always there but I'm pretty sure it wasn't, when your in sport there should be no regen in D only when you put it in B, I seem to have it in both now so can't freewheel in D.

I see it on the phone app when I select the "We Charge" option and get to the "Select a plan" section. Android phone

I remember the issue with a similar error message i had but was on the info-system, wouldn't generate the QR code for me to scan for a few days after picking up the car so it wouldn't let me tie the car to the we-charge account. once i was able to do that then registered the car, then was able to register the card the dealer give me.

Can anyone confirm,
    Not sure if it was always there but I'm pretty sure it wasn't, when your in sport there should be no regen in D only when you put it in B, I seem to have it in both now so can't freewheel in D.

Mine does this. Will pick up speed in D and Eco when going downhill but will slow down when in Sport. But I think it was always like this

I remember the issue with a similar error message i had but was on the info-system, wouldn't generate the QR code for me to scan for a few days after picking up the car so it wouldn't let me tie the car to the we-charge account. once i was able to do that then registered the car, then was able to register the card the dealer give me.

The car has registered on the app. Even reset the car and done it a second time as VW support suggested this may fix the issue.

Did you register the card through the app or PC?

• Advertisement

The car has registered on the app. Even reset the car and done it a second time as VW support suggested this may fix the issue.

Did you register the card through the app or PC?

Registered via the Android App - once the car registered i needed to register the card and put in my Credit Card details and it then released the 12 months/2000 subscription

(that subscription option wasn't there until I completed all of the above)

Advertisement