Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sabre Man wrote: »
    How often do you actually need more range? Are there no chargers on your route(s), or do you simply have no time to charge?

It's a mixture of both, had time to give it nearly 2hrs at an esb charge point the other day, left home with 100% charge, added 30% at the charge point and had 5% remaining getting in the gate. Could have got a lot more done in the day with extra range.

ouch,
    not a lot from a 58kwh battery

Seems kinda normal from reading the first movers club, there getting anywhere between 220km to 320km, my figure seems about average.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

On the last charge with no motorway miles, all b road sub 100km, Journeys were made up of two return trips and dropping the kids to school twice, total travelled 155km, 104km remaining.
    So 259km from a 100% charge. All daytime driving, outside temperature 11.5

thats e-tron 50 range basically. people were a lot more optimistic about the ID3 reading the threads before they arrived.

To be fair for most urban dwellers thats more than enought (we only charge the e-tron once a week) but i can see how it would be limiting if you are on the road a lot.

range aside whats your impression v the gti?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

On the last charge with no motorway miles, all b road sub 100km, Journeys were made up of two return trips and dropping the kids to school twice, total travelled 155km, 104km remaining.
    So 259km from a 100% charge. All daytime driving, outside temperature 11.5

Is there a brake sticking or something? Doesn't sound correct to me for sub 100km/h roads. Why not get VW have a look at it?

The GOM will give a range based on previous driving also, so don't believe it just on this fill. What is your kWh/100km to date?

Sorry to hear the car is not working out for you..

eagerv wrote: »
    Is there a brake sticking or something? Doesn't sound correct to me for sub 100km/h roads. Why not get VW have a look at it?

The GOM will give a range based on previous driving also, so don't believe it just on this fill. What is your kWh/100km to date?

Just on the brake sticking, I asked about it not freewheeling in sport the other day when in D, it was a lot more free the other day than when I posted, you could be on to something.

Long term after 3300km it's 18.8 kWh.

It's going into VW next week, 259km is way off for the last kinda driving I've done. Yes I know it adjusts depending on driving but mine is only going one way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Just on the brake sticking, I asked about it not freewheeling in sport the other day when in D, it was a lot more free the other day than when I posted, you could be on to something.

It's going into VW next week, 259km is way off for the last kinda driving I've done. Yes I know it adjusts depending on driving but mine is only going one way.

Mine doesn't actually seem to be freewheeling as well the last two days in D (Comfort).

I've only a short 2KM to work and I was getting 11-13KW/H usage all last week but since Tuesday night it's now 20KW/H. I thought I had a tyre going soft so going to have check them tomorrow.

Cyrus wrote: »
    thats e-tron 50 range basically. people were a lot more optimistic about the ID3 reading the threads before they arrived.

To be fair for most urban dwellers thats more than enought (we only charge the e-tron once a week) but i can see how it would be limiting if you are on the road a lot.

range aside whats your impression v the gti?

Your right it's more than enough for most, I'm not an urban dweller though. If there were a good few more fast chargers around it would help hugely.

Mmm....versus the GTI it's not really a fair comparison, it hasn't got that fun factor when driving it's not to say it's bad to drive but a lot less engaging and chuckable, GTI is closer to a go kart than it is to an ID
    I'd say it's on par with the pace of the GTI there both good point to point cars that shuffle along briskly.
    When overtaking you miss that high end power but again the ID isn't sluggish and it's better than most.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Mine doesn't actually seem to be freewheeling as well the last two days in D (Comfort).

I've only a short 2KM to work and I was getting 11-13KW/H usage all last week but since Tuesday night it's now 20KW/H. I thought I had a tyre going soft so going to have check them tomorrow.

The plot thickens....

I recorded it the other day, you can see it's breaking as much in D as B, if I made the same video the other day it would have free wheeled.

https://streamable.com/w1g6g2

The plot thickens....

I recorded it the other day, you can see it's breaking as much in D as B, if I made the same video the other day it would have free wheeled.

https://streamable.com/w1g6g2

My green bar doesn't fill that high in D. Maybe about 10% away across the bar.

Mine goes the whole way across I think, one of ours is doing something wrong.

• Advertisement

Your long term average sounds normal enough for someone who I am guessing likes to drive on a bit ;) and with some motorways thrown in.

Just for interest can you remember what the instant energy readout shows if you freewheel in Comfort mode + D. (On an open road with no traffic in front)

Just for interest can you remember what the instant energy readout shows if you freewheel in Comfort mode + D. (On an open road with no traffic in front)

I'll have a look, do you mean the reading on the screen saying what's going back in?

Mine goes the whole way across I think, one of ours is doing something wrong.

In Comfort or Sport mine fills the whole way when using full power.
    Except when battery down very low, then I would estimate about 80%.

My car before and after software update always had strong regen in Sport mode (Whether in D or B), hence why I prefer Comfort with D, or Individual mode with some sport settings.

In Comfort or Sport mine fills the whole way when using full power.
    Except when battery down very low, then I would estimate about 80%.

My car before and after software update always had strong regen in Sport mode (Whether in D or B), hence why I prefer Comfort with D, or Individual mode with some sport settings.

I'm only averaging 30ish KM/H so that could be why green bar only fills up a small way.

I'll have a look, do you mean the reading on the screen saying what's going back in?

Yep, the top one on this screen..

8JVJn3o.jpg

I'm only averaging 30ish KM/H so that could be why green bar only fills up a small way.

It fills up to the right with the amount of power you are using, and to the left with the amount you are regenerating. (From memory, may have that backwards..:))

Yep, the top one on this screen..

8JVJn3o.jpg

Is the bottom one the average usage?

Is the bottom one the average usage?

Yes the average for that trip, I think it resets after a few hours of stopping.

There are three trip pages, No 1 as in my pic above, No 2 "Since last charge" resets when you charge. No 3 "Long term" will remain until you manually reset it.

You can set up your home page to have Sat nav about 70% and trip about 30%. My favourite screen, you can scroll between the 3 trip pages while still seeing the satnav.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

ouch,
    not a lot from a 58kwh battery

58kWh seems a bit dishonest by VW

Most full charge tests I've seen done put it closer to 55kWh useable

He's doing roughy 20kWh/100km which seems normal in this wet weather

He's not gonna get anywhere near 300km on a long motorway run with that battery, 250km or so seems about right

15% larger 64kWh battery Koreans are just about good enough for 300km

Guys like drunkmonkey would need the 77kWh ID3 version

Pity the cost to upgrade to that spec is so much

20kWh extra to VW is €2000, if they charged consumer even €3000 would be fair

• Advertisement

You can set up your home page to have Sat nav about 70% and trip about 30%. My favourite screen, you can scroll between the 3 trip pages while still seeing the satnav.

I have Nav on half, trip about 25% and then two small squares. It's been like that since I got it though.

Thierry12 wrote: »
    58kWh seems a bit dishonest by VW

Most full charge tests I've seen done put it closer to 55kWh useable

He's doing roughy 20kWh/100km which seems normal in this wet weather

He's not gonna get anywhere near 300km on a long motorway run with that battery, 250km or so seems about right

15% larger 64kWh battery Koreans are just about good enough for 300km

Guys like drunkmonkey would need the 77kWh ID3 version

Pity the cost to upgrade to that spec is so much

20kWh extra to VW is €2000, if they charged consumer even €3000 would be fair

I don't think anyone is disputing that. But it seems high to me for sub 100km/h B Roads as DM mentioned..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

I don't think anyone is disputing that. But it seems high to me for sub 100km/h B Roads as DM mentioned..

It does, he must accelerate alot

I have Nav on half, trip about 25% and then two small squares. It's been like that since I got it though.

Whatever suits you, I have map and trips on first home page, then phone favourites and radio on second home page. Just a simple matter of hand gesturing between the two.

Thierry12 wrote: »
    It does, he must accelerate alot

So do I, but I try not to brake..:D

If 20kwh/100km is normal this wether then winter is going to be hard for id3 owners.
    Our leaf does 16kwh/100 on a 97km daily trip at 100kph.
    It's still 10/11 degrees out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

If 20kwh/100km is normal this wether then winter is going to be hard for id3 owners.

I wonder is the heat pump a viable option on the upcoming ID3 non first model.

Irishjg wrote: »
    I wonder is the heat pump a viable option on the upcoming ID3 non first model.

I personally don't think it's worth the money, depends really if you need the maximum range in Winter which I don't.

From crude tests I have done, the heater appears to use about 2kWh/100km. That is to raise the temperature by about 10C. It has been less lately, with temperatures quite high for almost mid November. I like the car about 18.5C, warm enough for me.. OK, if weather gets really cold I am sure it will use more than 2kWh/100km.

I don't leave house till the sun is well up (If we have sun:)) so don't suffer from frosty mornings usually. And winters aren't usually that bad here.. In just over a month the days will be getting longer again. :D Roll on...

At 7c/kWh for most of my charging, I would have to drive millions of km in winter to pay for a heat pump. But if it was included in car I wouldn't say no..

Also, don't heat pumps use similar power to non heat pumps if your trips are very short? I suppose the best efficiency is pre heating your car before leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭McHonda

I'm getting 17.1 kWh/100km since I bought the car. That's 90% motorway driving @110kph. I'm in eco mode the majority of the time. My only gripe at the moment despite the random software gremlins is I have yet to see over 50kw/hr at a fast charger. Ionity or ESB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I suppose the best efficiency is pre heating your car before leaving.

Thats the key.

If you do that the heat pump becomes alot less relevant.

Advertisement