Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

On the way now to collect my car after the software update. 12v battery died on Wednesday and the AA came out to get it going. Didn't last long though, died again as soon as the booster was disconnected and I hadn't time to wait for him to try again. Took the Mrs car to work. Jumped it later myself and went for a good spin around the M50 and that seemed to have worked. Was fine yesterday and today too. Dropped it off at 8am today do hopefully they will have sorted it out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

rx8 wrote: »
    On the way now to collect my car after the software update. 12v battery died on Wednesday and the AA came out to get it going. Didn't last long though, died again as soon as the booster was disconnected and I hadn't time to wait for him to try again. Took the Mrs car to work. Jumped it later myself and went for a good spin around the M50 and that seemed to have worked. Was fine yesterday and today too. Dropped it off at 8am today do hopefully they will have sorted it out now.

In a situation like this, will VW replace the 12v battery after (I presume) the software update to 0570 to fix the issue? Having the 12v battery totally discharge is probably not a good thing for the general life of it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Does 0570 fix the 12V battery drain issue?
    I was told by the dealer they are only applying it to cars that have issue, you can't request to have it applied as a preventative measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

eagerv wrote: »
    From crude tests I have done, the heater appears to use about 2kWh/100km.

I think you are about right there based on what the screen shows while the heater is on and you are not moving... it shows 2kWh/100km which is basically what the entire car is consuming with the motor idle.

If you switch it to Eco it will go down to about 1kWh/100km which is what Eco is supposed to do.... reduce HVAC consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Started again today with a full battery, just back home with 34km remaining. Total distanced covered, 202km, 112 of that on the motorway at 115km. Outside Temperature 7.5, kept it in eco most of the time.

Good few software gremlins today and it's not something that's ever happened, Lane assist stopped working (thankfully) said go to workshop it fixed itself then front collision stopped working and finally an unable to read speed error. There all gone again now but happened at random times during the morning.

• Advertisement

njburke wrote: »
    I was told by the dealer they are only applying it to cars that have issue, you can't request to have it applied as a preventative measure.

Sorry, what you say is probably right, as this is what I heard from other forums - that the 0570 update is only for cars that exhibit the 12v battery drain issue, not a general update for all ID.3s. It may also be related to how long it takes to do the update at the service centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

More reports from Germany that the new software will be installed on cars from build week 49 on. That's the first week of December. So series cars ordered here for January/February delivery should have the new software.

As in the big update? Dealers should have it soon then i'd assume.

eko wrote: »
    In a situation like this, will VW replace the 12v battery after (I presume) the software update to 0570 to fix the issue? Having the 12v battery totally discharge is probably not a good thing for the general life of it. :(

I had them check the battery health and he showed me some kind of read-out that showed the battery was good. He told me earlier that they would be replacing it if it had a problem.
    They charged the car up to almost 80% when I picked it up. No errors or glitches so far, but it's only 8km spin home.

I had them check the battery health and he showed me some kind of read-out that showed the battery was good. He told me earlier that they would be replacing it if it had a problem.
    They charged the car up to almost 80% when I picked it up. No errors or glitches so far, but it's only 8km spin home.

Thanks. They checked the 12v battery and not the high-voltage battery right (sorry to ask)? For sure, having a 12v battery in an ICE car go flat is not great for longevity, so wondering if this is also the case with an EV too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭MarkN

Lads just out of curiosity how are you feeling over the software? Happy to be first users on a car or getting a little frustrated? I'm not an EV basher at all, as I said, just out of curiosity. I spoke to an owner in real life (:D) a few weeks ago and although there were some bugs, she was happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

njburke wrote: »

Keep the pressure on them if you want it done, the only problem I have had is not recognising the key a few times, not a major problem. They did the update without asking too many questions. But very few cars sold so far in my Garage(Waterford) and they so far are being very helpful. The service Manager and chief Mechanic appear to be genuinely interested in learning about the car..

Re my 12V Battery, it shows at over 14V when powered up. And about 12.8 or 13V after overnight. Looks normal enough.

MarkN wrote: »
    Lads just out of curiosity how are you feeling over the software? Happy to be first users on a car or getting a little frustrated? I'm not an EV basher at all, as I said, just out of curiosity. I spoke to an owner in real life (:D) a few weeks ago and although there were some bugs, she was happy.

Very happy with the car Mark, exceeding my expectations. Any minor problems seem to have corrected themselves before I got the 0370 update done. The only real problem I had been having prior to this was about 3 times not recognising the keyfob, but a simple enough to open door with key and put fob in cup holder. Seems fine then until the next time. Not sure if update has sorted this, too soon to say..

I have also had a few minor assist system hiccups, but always worked normally again upon restarting. I have had similar warnings on other cars with the same systems. I don't rely on any of that crap.:)

The car is a pleasure to drive, I find WLTP range achievable with my rural driving providing you drive smoothly but not necessarily slowly.

MarkN wrote: »

I had no bugs until today, there coming thick and fast now though, had the few I mentioned earlier, two more since...airbag fault on it at the moment.
    Constantly having to turn off lane assist due to the roads around me is doing my head in that's a feature not a bug though.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

As in the big update? Dealers should have it soon then i'd assume.

https://nextmove.de/hyundai-kona-facelift-tesla-uebergewicht-grosses-id-3-update-nextnews-129/

eko wrote: »
    Thanks. They checked the 12v battery and not the high-voltage battery right (sorry to ask)? For sure, having a 12v battery in an ICE car go flat is not great for longevity, so wondering if this is also the case with an EV too.

Yeah, it was the 12v battery they checked the health of.
    Would have been happier if they had a loan car for me instead of some lame excuse that none were available, had to get 2 buses home and back this afternoon.

eagerv wrote: »

I find WLTP range achievable with my rural driving providing you drive smoothly but not necessarily slowly.

Today was spent in eco, I'm over 200km off the WLTP after the day, granted some was spent at 115 on the motorway but the rest was substantialy slower, school run, nip to the shops, pottering along under 80 on a B road etc.

My GTI had an advertised range of 45mpg, I regularly knocked out 38mpg on a run with a bit of spirited driving thrown in, This is close to 50% off advertised.
    Maybe it's a duff battery, brake problem, I really don't think it is going by the forms, one guy said he gets the WLTP but he drives under 50kmph on the way to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Today was spent in eco, I'm over 200km off the WLTP after the day, granted some was spent at 115 on the motorway but the rest was substantialy slower, school run, nip to the shops, pottering along under 80 on a B road etc.

My GTI had an advertised range of 45mpg, I regularly knocked out 38mpg on a run with a bit of spirited driving thrown in, This is close to 50% off advertised.
    Maybe it's a duff battery, brake problem, I really don't think it is going by the forms, one guy said he gets the WLTP but he drives under 50kmph on the way to work.

Yours does sound like it has a problem.
    The brakes could be it. Does it coast freely or slow down quickly?
    A bit hard to tell I know unless you drive another one and feel the difference but it was widely shown that you can do 260-280km on the motorway at 130km/h (GPS)..... your figures are way off that so something is up.

Yeah, it was the 12v battery they checked the health of.
    Would have been happier if they had a loan car for me instead of some lame excuse that none were available, had to get 2 buses home and back this afternoon.

Ugh, that is pretty lame for sure. They should have at least gotten you a taxi ride home.

It's sounding like this 12v battery issue is getting more and more common now.

Get it checked out drunkmonkey, something not right there. Possibly for high speed or aggressive driving, but for the driving you mention I would expect around 16kWh/100km.(With heating on to a reasonable temp).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Did you test to see if it had 58kWh capacity?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

This maybe a very silly question but what are the optimal driving conditions for an EV - i'd expect it to be 100KM on a motorway & not start stopping in the cities?

Also my long term reading is at 20.6kwh over 1562km..

Also my long term reading is at 20.6kwh over 1562km..

That's higher than mine, i'm at 18.8kWh long term after 3500km..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

This maybe a very silly question but what are the optimal driving conditions for an EV - i'd expect it to be 100KM on a motorway & not start stopping in the cities?

Depends on what you mean by optimal. If you're aiming for maximum range, then steady speed at about 50km/h drafting behind a truck, same as an ICE car

Start stop traffic is never ideal, but it's generally better in an EV than an ICE car

For long journeys, there's basically two schools of thought. Method 1 is to drive slower, around 90-100 and minimise the number of charging stops.

Method 2 is to drive quickly in a series of hops between short charging stops, only charging to 60-70% max so as to maximise time at the fastest charging speed

Generally speaking, method 2 is fastest if there's a reliable network of fast chargers en route. In Ireland the charging network can best be described as spotty, so it really depends on which route you're taking

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

That includes 2 trips to Belfast from dublin at 130kmh carrying a load of heavy goods in the boot.. I've never looked at optimizing the range yet. Feels fine though

Put it in eco with heating off & drove though town like i was driving miss daisy & got 14.7 kw/h over 12KM (mix of B & D)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Something I was thinking of, maybe the GOM doesn't know where the bottom of the battery is?

I remember a while back Bjorn Nyland did a video where be calibrated the GOM on his Tesla. Basically you have to start at full and drive as close to 0 as you feel safe. Basically the car is estimating the capacity of the battery and driving close to empty gives it a more accurate estimate.

I noticed recently that the GOM on my leaf is somewhat more accurate (and less hopelessly optimistic) after I drove the car down to 7%

I wonder is the GOM in your car being needlessly pessimistic based on the fact you're doing a lot of motorway driving or something like that?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Put it in eco with heating off & drove though town like i was driving miss daisy & got 14.7 kw/h over 12KM (mix of B & D)

Unfortunately I am getting the impression the first edition ID3 seems to be rather inefficient and quite thirsty on the battery. I’m a bit disappointed to see this to be honest. I hope some of these issues are software related but I’m beginning to worry it is what it is. Only time will tell for certain, however at the moment for me I’m not convinced this is the car VW promised.

• Advertisement

Irishjg wrote: »
    Unfortunately I am getting the impression the first edition ID3 seems to be rather inefficient and quite thirsty on the battery. I’m a bit disappointed to see this to be honest. I hope some of these issues are software related but I’m beginning to worry it is what it is. Only time will tell for certain, however at the moment for me I’m not convinced this is the car VW promised.

15KW/H average for a 100% charge should give just below 386KM so that would be in range of the noted WLTP figures- with heating then i'd expect to get 320KM out of 100% charge.

I haven't looked into this yet but will do a more tests to see what my ID.3 is reporting.

Advertisement