Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

charlieIRL wrote: »
    you can pre-heat on battery power but I always do it when the car is plugged in therefore using electricity to heat it.

Yes that’s what I meant if you preheat not plugged in you won’t gain efficiency you’ll just use battery before you leave right?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Screenshot-20201115-175849-2.jpg

: (

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mine is 210 at 50% so something has to be wrong

TitianGerm wrote: »

Has to be it's not fit for purpose with that range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Sorry for going back a few pages but for someone heading into my second winter in an EV that doesn't have a heat pump i have to say i really regret not paying extra for one, using the heater absolutely annihilates the range on my eGolf. I pre-heat the car before the school / work run but once temps go below 10 degrees you will need some heating on. Go below 10 degrees and winter my range drops nearly 90kms.

But having a heat pump doesn't mean that you don't use the energy gobbling PTC heater. The heat pump only maintains the temperature when the PTC heater gets the car up to temperature. A heat pump is next to useless on short journeys, as the PTC heater will be used to warm the car (you'll notice the almost instant heat, the heap pump can't do that).You might be stopping the car before the heat pump takes over.

Where a heat pump really comes into it's own is on long journeys as the PTC heater shuts off when the car warms up and isn't needed to keep the temperature up.

Bottom line for a heat pump is that you need to be doing long runs constantly for it to make sense, and at €1,500 in the ID.3 it will probably never pay for itself in energy cost savings. That's why I didn't order it for my purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The GOM is based on the last 20kms of your driving so unless you’re driving like a loony/constant motorway there’s something wrong.

so do you get 420km of actual range on a single charge?

L-M wrote: »
    The GOM is based on the last 20kms of your driving so unless you’re driving like a loony/constant motorway there’s something wrong.

Are you sure about the 20km thing? Something really wrong if it should recalculate itself after that.

Cyrus wrote: »
    so do you get 420km of actual range on a single charge?

Haven't done any long journeys yet so I wouldn't be expecting 420 in this weather, maybe not even in the summer.

Haven't done any long journeys yet so I wouldn't be expecting 420 in this weather, maybe not even in the summer.

ah ok, just wondering what the actual expected real range of one is in the winter, GOM's are useless really. is 280km on a full charge not in the ballpark no?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

But having a heat pump doesn't mean that you don't use the energy gobbling PTC heater. The heat pump only maintains the temperature when the PTC heater gets the car up to temperature. A heat pump is next to useless on short journeys, as the PTC heater will be used to warm the car (you'll notice the almost instant heat, the heap pump can't do that).You might be stopping the car before the heat pump takes over.

Where a heat pump really comes into it's own is on long journeys as the PTC heater shuts off when the car warms up and isn't needed to keep the temperature up.

Bottom line for a heat pump is that you need to be doing long runs constantly for it to make sense, and at €1,500 in the ID.3 it will probably never pay for itself in energy cost savings. That's why I didn't order it for my purchase.

Cheers, I've done a bit of research into them and know a bit about them now.
    My commute is now 55kms each way , mixed roads, so yes the heat pump would help with range.

Our work Zoe is showing absolutely no drop in range with lower temperatures and heat blowing full blast!!

Cyrus wrote: »
    ah ok, just wondering what the actual expected real range of one is in the winter, GOM's are useless really. is 280km on a full charge not in the ballpark no?

I think Eagerv is getting 300+ on his. Once lockdown is lifted I'll be doing a few 100km+ journeys which will give me a better idea of range.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Cheers, I've done a bit of research into them and know a bit about them now.
    My commute is now 55kms each way , mixed roads, so yes the heat pump would help with range.

Our work Zoe is showing absolutely no drop in range with lower temperatures and heat blowing full blast!!

I think a lot of it is down to pre-heating, especially in this weather. If you think about all the fabric in the seats and the plastic surfaces, they all need to be warmed up or they'll suck heat from the warm air coming from the heater.

Pre-heating while plugged in is basically free from a range point of view, so it doesn't matter the heat source. After that, you're just adding heat to cover the losses.

I'd reckon a heat pump is more suited to that type of usage, since it's adding a small amount of heat slowly. PTC heaters are very good at adding a lot of heat quickly.

I think regardless of the heating method, you'll still see a big range drop in Winter. It's not just heating, the driving conditions are also much worse for efficiency anyway

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Just wondering if anyone went for any vehicle protection options with their cars?

Joe Duffy are currently recommending me 3 options for the ID.4:

Combined GAP/RTI insurance (€399) - Similar to GAP insurance but will pay out the higher of the remaining finance or the original purchase price of the car (presumably it's almost always the latter)
    https://www.joeduffy.ie/offers/finance/combined-guaranteed-asset-protection/

SMART insurance (€399) - Basically bodywork insurance, gives you €3000 aggregate towards repairs of scratches & scuffs up to 15cm, pays €250 for anything over 15cm. Cover lasts 3 years
    https://www.joeduffy.ie/offers/finance/smart-insurance/

Gard X (€349) - Coats the outside and inside of the car with some magic stuff which protects the paintwork and the interior
    https://www.gardx.co.uk/gardx-protect

So obviously I'll need the GAP insurance and considering I've young kids who like to eat messily in the car and ride their bikes around the outside of the car, I'm pretty tempted by the other two. My Leaf is definitely in need of some TLC after 3 years

I'm wondering what people went for in the end, and did you do much shopping around to see if there were better offers elsewhere?

Nope, saying that my last one had Autoglym life shine on it and was handy for keeping the dirt off. Had the previous car treated as well with some diamond coat but it only lasts 6/12mts

With kids I'd just make sure they don't put suncream hands on the car and get a bottle of this for the interior.

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/car-cleaning/interior-cleaning/autoglym-interior-shampoo-500ml-448910.html

Nope, saying that my last one had Autoglym life shine on it and was handy for keeping the dirt off. Had the previous car treated as well with some diamond coat but it only lasts 6/12mts

With kids I'd just make sure they don't put suncream hands on the car and get a bottle of this for the interior.

https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/car-cleaning/interior-cleaning/autoglym-interior-shampoo-500ml-448910.html

Yeah tbh I'm almost more worried about the interior, kids like to eat messy meals inside.

Having the GardX and the insurance for the exterior seems like overkill, I'd almost just go with the insurance, rack up some scratches and get them all fixed at the end of the 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Just wondering if anyone went for any vehicle protection options with their cars?

Joe Duffy are currently recommending me 3 options for the ID.4:

Combined GAP/RTI insurance (€399) - Similar to GAP insurance but will pay out the higher of the remaining finance or the original purchase price of the car (presumably it's almost always the latter)
    https://www.joeduffy.ie/offers/finance/combined-guaranteed-asset-protection/

SMART insurance (€399) - Basically bodywork insurance, gives you €3000 aggregate towards repairs of scratches & scuffs up to 15cm, pays €250 for anything over 15cm. Cover lasts 3 years
    https://www.joeduffy.ie/offers/finance/smart-insurance/

Gard X (€349) - Coats the outside and inside of the car with some magic stuff which protects the paintwork and the interior
    https://www.gardx.co.uk/gardx-protect

So obviously I'll need the GAP insurance and considering I've young kids who like to eat messily in the car and ride their bikes around the outside of the car, I'm pretty tempted by the other two. My Leaf is definitely in need of some TLC after 3 years

I'm wondering what people went for in the end, and did you do much shopping around to see if there were better offers elsewhere?

I am not a believer in any of these Garage protection offers, preferring to look after the car myself. I use a good neutral pH shampoo and coat with Collinite 845 a few times a year. Got some great advice over on the detailing forum, there was a very helpful fella over there called Curran.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Yeah tbh I'm almost more worried about the interior, kids like to eat messy meals inside.

Having the GardX and the insurance for the exterior seems like overkill, I'd almost just go with the insurance, rack up some scratches and get them all fixed at the end of the 3 years.

I wouldn't bother to be honest. Paint protection will only last 6-12 months and dealers don't care about light scratches. I got a paint protect pack free because my Golf was delayed so much, it was just a cheap AutoGlym which made zero difference. At the time the car was new I lived in an apartment next to a school where parents would abuse our parking. I ended up with loads of scuffs from coat zips, bags etc. Got a few door dings too which dealers weren't bothered about when getting trade in quotes.

If you're a competent driver who doesn't have a car full of dents I wouldn't worry about it. Save the money and go to a professional detailer to get the inside cleaned once or twice a year. The car will be like new. You could probably get some seat covers to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

You won't be going for a white interior then? :D

DaveyDave wrote: »
    If you're a competent driver who doesn't have a car full of dents I wouldn't worry about it. Save the money and go to a professional detailer to get the inside cleaned once or twice a year. The car will be like new. You could probably get some seat covers to help?

Well I'd like to think I'm competent, but the big scratch to my front wing begs to differ :D

I really like the seats, so I feel like it'd be a shame to cover them up. I suppose I could just get a mat for the back seat, since the kids are on car seats anyway

The way I'm looking at the insurance, it's currently costing €400 to fixup the Leaf, so for the same price I can do up to €3000 in scratches and not care for 3 years

So maybe I'll get the insurance and skip the GardX. I've a few months to decide anyway so we'll see how it goes

• Advertisement

You won't be going for a white interior then? :D

Not a chance!

They only have the option for a white steering wheel and dash on the ID.4, I think it manages to look worse than an all white interior

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Not a chance!

They only have the option for a white steering wheel and dash on the ID.4, I think it manages to look worse than an all white interior

All the pictures of the 1st ID are black steering wheel?

White steering wheel looks gack.

colm_c wrote: »
    All the pictures of the 1st ID are black steering wheel?

White steering wheel looks gack.

I'm guessing they've mostly shown the black interior since that's the only one available on the 1st Max, which they tend to show in the promotional videos.

Also, probably because the white interior looks rubbish. I'd really love to know what the designers were thinking when they came up with that. I'm all for shaking things up a bit, but shake them up into something that at least looks like

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

I'm guessing they've mostly shown the black interior since that's the only one available on the 1st Max, which they tend to show in the promotional videos.

Also, probably because the white interior looks rubbish. I'd really love to know what the designers were thinking when they came up with that. I'm all for shaking things up a bit, but shake them up into something that at least looks like

Good to know!

Ordering the Max so!

colm_c wrote: »
    Good to know!

Ordering the Max so!

Haha, well it's an option with the regular 1st, so you just have to make sure NOT to tick that box if you're going for that version

I think Eagerv is getting 300+ on his. Once lockdown is lifted I'll be doing a few 100km+ journeys which will give me a better idea of range.

Mine "seems" to be giving good range, I don't trust the GOM which seems to regularly give well over 400km on full charge (Or calculated when charged to less)

However working on 4km per % doesn't seem too far out with these milder temperatures. A regular trip of mine on 60-80 km roads over about 100km seems to use about 25% of the battery. (Home to home).

I don't like the car too hot, about 18.5C (Or sometimes less) feels comfortable for me. In my previous ICE cars always left the climate at same. And temperatures so far have been pretty mild. And pre heat when plugged in when can.

The car is lively, gets up to speed quickly. And, even after 3K km, I find I am going faster than I think at times. In my previous low Civic you felt the speed on backroads.
    I don't use ACC on these trips, on faster roads I find it quite aggressive, knocking the efficiency. Smooth driving is the best for any car efficiency, braking as little as possible and freewheeling as much as possible when slowing up.

I am looking forward to a few long trips to see what the reality is. Even to Dublin for me from west Wexford is half Motorway/half 80km/h roads. I would hope range around 350km driving normally in cooler weather, we shall see.

eagerv wrote: »
    Mine "seems" to be giving good range, I don't trust the GOM which seems to regularly give well over 400km on full charge (Or calculated when charged to less)

However working on 4km per % doesn't seem too far out with these milder temperatures. A regular trip of mine on 60-80 km roads over about 100km seems to use about 25% of the battery. (Home to home).

I don't like the car too hot, about 18.5C (Or sometimes less) feels comfortable for me. In my previous ICE cars always left the climate at same. And temperatures so far have been pretty mild. And pre heat when plugged in when can.

The car is lively, gets up to speed quickly. And, even after 3K km, I find I am going faster than I think at times. In my previous low Civic you felt the speed on backroads.
    I don't use ACC on these trips, on faster roads I find it quite aggressive, knocking the efficiency. Smooth driving is the best for any car efficiency, braking as little as possible and freewheeling as much as possible when slowing up.

I am looking forward to a few long trips to see what the reality is. Even to Dublin for me from west Wexford is half Motorway/half 80km/h roads. I would hope range around 350km driving normally in cooler weather, we shall see.

Do you think you'd get to Dublin and back without stopping?

I don't mind the idea of stopping in Coynes Cross or even Gorey Services for 20-30 to grab a coffee and use the bathroom. I always did this in my Golf so I won't be changing that now.

Do you think you'd get to Dublin and back without stopping?

I don't mind the idea of stopping in Coynes Cross or even Gorey Services for 20-30 to grab a coffee and use the bathroom. I always did this in my Golf so I won't be changing that now.

Yes, no problem. Except for the very worst weather may have to slow up a little on motorway. Only about 70km of motorway so would make damn all difference time wise..

But in reality (After I have tested it) will probably not leave with full tank to avail of my free Ionity..:pac:

eagerv wrote: »
    Yes, no problem. Except for the very worst weather may have to slow up a little on motorway. Only about 70km of motorway so would make damn all difference time wise..

But in reality (After I have tested it) will probably not leave with full tank to avail of my free Ionity..:pac:

Gotta get through that €600 somehow. I seriously suspect a lot of people are going to find it difficult to use it all up before the year is up

• Advertisement

Yes, agree, especially when there is no Ionity on the southern corridor, between Wexford, Waterford, Cork, Kerry etc.
    Must get the missus to try my VW card with her Ioniq when she does her regular Dublin trips from west Wexford:)

Advertisement