Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Hello,

I got my ID3 1st base edition about 6 weeks ago, ordered the ID connect home charger which arrived recently and tried to install yesterday.
    Electrician put it in and connected up but having an issue with the config bit where you have to connect your phone to it.
    Anyone else have an issue with this?

eagerv wrote: »

Also by using two fingers on the volume slider it zooms in/out map.

Wait till you see what happens when you use 3 fingers

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Wait till you see what happens when you use 3 fingers

Appropriate user name ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Chris from Battery life did a heat pump vs PTC video using 2 ID.3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nJamTspSM0

Probably one of the few actual real world tests of both heating systems. Looks like the heat pump saved around 12Wh/km on the ID.3 and had around an extra 30km range remaining after driving the same route under the same conditions

Heating to 24C, I think I would pass out..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Heating to 24C, I think I would pass out..:)

Haha, yeah it must have been a sauna in there. They did say at the start that they set the heating high to make sure the heating was on the whole time

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Haha, yeah it must have been a sauna in there. They did say at the start that they set the heating high to make sure the heating was on the whole time

I heat the car to 22C when plugged in, then turn down to 18.5C when driving. Find that comfortable for me. And heater using very little energy/range with these milder temperatures we have been having.

I reckon a heat pump would take million(s) of km to pay for itself with electricity at €0.07/kWh.

I heat the car to 22C when plugged in, then turn down to 18.5C when driving. Find that comfortable for me. And heater using very little energy/range with these milder temperatures we have been having.

I reckon a heat pump would take million(s) of km to pay for itself with electricity at €0.07/kWh.

Depends on your perspective. That heat pump seems to be worth around 30km in the depths of winter. If that was the difference between making it home with or without a charging stop, then it'd be pretty compelling

Depends on your perspective. That heat pump seems to be worth around 30km in the depths of winter. If that was the difference between making it home with or without a charging stop, then it'd be pretty compelling

Absolutely, I'm sure on the very cold days it's probably worth a bit more. Depends if you need the full range of the ID.3, which I don't in the winter.

Less than 4 weeks and the days will be getting longer, roll on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Is a heat pump faster to heat up or is there much difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

JPA wrote: »

Think of a heat pump like an air conditioning system working in reverse. So there is a bit of a lag while it cranks itself up, but according to VW there are also heating elements in the air supply lines to provide the initial heat input to the air before the heat pump kicks in properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

How quick is the ID.3 to heat up if you're not preheating?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

DaveyDave wrote: »
    How quick is the ID.3 to heat up if you're not preheating?

Very quick, the heat supplied within couple of min.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

TitianGerm wrote: »
    My instrument cluster didn't work on the way home at lunchtime but surprisingly the main screen was working, as was air-con, maps and radio etc.

That's the first major issue I've seen so far.

I think that's one of the known software bugs that qualifies you to get the patch. It might be worth calling the dealer about it.

The new ME2 software will be available next week and there are owners in the UK booking appointments in early January to get it installed.

JPA wrote: »

Comparing our Ioniq (Heat pump) to our ID.3 (No heat pump) the two are very similar, ie almost instant at startup. So I presume there is very little difference on energy used on a short journey. It's longer journeys where you get the advantages of a heat pump afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭3d4life

..... It's longer journeys where you get the advantages of a heat pump afaik.

Long journey not necessary for HP to be useful. One situation where a HP is real useful is wintertime and stuck in slow moving / static traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Johnfred

Has anyone had an Elli charger installed yet. I was due to have mine installed today but was cancelled last minute with the excuse a new CT clamp from VW being needed. No information on when it will come. I ordered on 1st September and have had to use the granny cable and public chargers to keep me on the road, very annoying.
    Meanwhile I read on a UK site that Elli charger orders have been cancelled as they are not compatible with the UK electrical system and refunds issued and suggest buying a different charger instead. Will the same apply to Ireland? Very poor service from VW selling us a car with many bugs, disappointing range and now no charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 seant5215

Johnfred wrote: »
    Has anyone had an Elli charger installed yet. I was due to have mine installed today but was cancelled last minute with the excuse a new CT clamp from VW being needed. No information on when it will come. I ordered on 1st September and have had to use the granny cable and public chargers to keep me on the road, very annoying.
    Meanwhile I read on a UK site that Elli charger orders have been cancelled as they are not compatible with the UK electrical system and refunds issued and suggest buying a different charger instead. Will the same apply to Ireland? Very poor service from VW selling us a car with many bugs, disappointing range and now no charger.

Same issue here, and below is response I got from Elli:

Thank you for contacting your Elli Service Team.

We deeply regret to inform you that sales, orders and installations in the UK region have been, at this time, indefinitely postponed due to a variety of reasons outside our control. However, rest assured that the issues are being investigated and that we are in communication with the network operators to resolved them as soon as possible.

In the meantime, any news for these issues should become available on the web store shortly, so please consult it. If you wish to return your charger for a refund, you can either reply to this email or send us an email request with your Elli order number, so that we can process it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ROSSWATSON

Got my Elli charger installed last Thursday (a bit earlier than they had planned because a cancellation became available). Just the basic one. And have successfully charged once since.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Johnfred wrote: »

Got mine last Tuesday (ordered raised on the 22nd of Oct) - no issues & charges fine for me..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

3d4life wrote: »
    Long journey not necessary for HP to be useful. One situation where a HP is real useful is wintertime and stuck in slow moving / static traffic.

long in time.

• Advertisement

Got my key re coded this morning, as key not recognised again yesterday even after getting the 0570 software update done a few weeks ago. Hopefully will sort problem.

Was told there is a suspension recall job to be done, can drop in next week (Takes about 2 hours).

No word as yet re the big ME2 update.

Is anyone else getting condensation on the inside of the car? I've come out the last few days now and it's been quite bad, to the extent I'm getting a warning on the dash that the front assist won't work untill I clean the windscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Is anyone else getting condensation on the inside of the car? I've come out the last few days now and it's been quite bad, to the extent I'm getting a warning on the dash that the front assist won't work untill I clean the windscreen.

I've noticed this from outside the car looking in a few times.

I've noticed this from outside the car looking in a few times.

It could be just the change in the weather and it does clear quick enough. My dad's Tiguan is getting bad condensation as well but was just wondering if anyone else has it on the ID3.

This is where having a scheduled preheat every morning can help, gives the inside of the car a nice blast of fresh warm air to stop moisture building up.

I do this every day with my Leaf, I'd be worried about the inside of the car going mouldy because it's sitting idle a lot these days

Yes it's a problem with all cars at the moment, moisture laden air and cold temperatures. The ID.3 is no worse than others, at least with an EV we can preheat.
    Pity we don't have a heating element in the windscreen like Fords etc.

One of my keys stopped working again. At moment can’t be arsed to go to the dealer.

One of my keys stopped working again. At moment can’t be arsed to go to the dealer.

Sorry to hear, didn't you get yours re coded? Or was it the other Key?
    I got one done today, but should have got the other done as well.

It's a bit of a pain going to the dealer alright, but gets me out for a drive atm.:)

At least I have got to know everyone in Garage, must say they are a friendly lot..Owning a Honda for last 3 years, I knew nobody in Garage except the man who sold me the car.:)

Sorry to hear, didn't you get yours re coded? Or was it the other Key?
    I got one done today, but should have got the other done as well.

It's a bit of a pain going to the dealer alright, but gets me out for a drive atm.:)

At least I have got to know everyone in Garage, must say they are a friendly lot..Owning a Honda for last 3 years, I knew nobody in Garage except the man who sold me the car.:)

It’s the other one:) I need to drag my wife with the second car (and a baby) twice to get the keys done, so I’ll wait till they invite me for the update. What’s the story with the suspension recall?

• Advertisement

It’s the other one:) I need to drag my wife with the second car (and a baby) twice to get the keys done, so I’ll wait till they invite me for the update. What’s the story with the suspension recall?

The key job seems very quick, perhaps an hour or less. I am quite happy to wait, especially now that I have discovered the "Up Market" part of Garage (Mercedes) serves real coffee..:pac:

Re the recall, not sure, didn't get much chance to talk to service guy today. Something about a bar going across car. Apparently not urgent, but all will be notified and not unusual in a new model.

Advertisement