Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Is it just my me or is the We.Connect App (Android) near useless? I try and get the heat to go on and it works 1 time in 3 - also if its not charging it seems the car simply doesn't communicate its status or let you enable the heat. It also seems to mis-report the State of Charge by a percent.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mikeucc

Has anybody worked out how to change the We Connect app to show range in Km instead of Miles
    I cant work it out!!

Feel a bit stupid as I work in IT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

mikeucc wrote: »
    Has anybody worked out how to change the We Connect app to show range in Km instead of Miles
    I cant work it out!!

Feel a bit stupid as I work in IT

I had the same problem..
    Change the language on your phone from English(UK) to English(Ireland).
    Worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mikeucc

eagerv wrote: »
    I had the same problem..
    Change the language on your phone from English(UK) to English(Ireland).
    Worked for me.

That worked
    Never in a million years would I have linked the phones language to KM/Miles
    :eek:

The We.Connect app stopped working this morning - nothing changed.. i've reset my password & can login to vw site over the browser but the we.connect app keeps failing (connection error).. goes from bad to really really bad - seems VW can't do software..

• Advertisement

The We.Connect app stopped working this morning - nothing changed.. i've reset my password & can login to vw site over the browser but the we.connect app keeps failing (connection error).. goes from bad to really really bad - seems VW can't do software..

Mine also stopped working for more than a day a few weeks ago. Did nothing and came back online again..

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Since it’s Black Friday and I’m bored. Is it with getting the 32 amp cable? Also if I do get one should it be single Phase or 3 phase? This would be used only for public charging (only have the 22kw chargers where I live and I’m averaging 11 kw/hr with the supplied cable.

Basically would it make any difference?

Mine also stopped working for more a day a few weeks ago. Did nothing and came back online again..

Full uninstall and re-install made it work.. Hoping the lack of the ME2 version is the underlying reason that they can't offer much mobile functionality

ddarcy wrote: »
    Since it’s Black Friday and I’m bored. Is it with getting the 32 amp cable? Also if I do get one should it be single Phase or 3 phase? This would be used only for public charging (only have the 22kw chargers where I live and I’m averaging 11 kw/hr with the supplied cable.

None - ID.3 Can only consume 11KW from an AC charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

32A will only give advantage on a single phase supply (7.4kw vs 3.7kW). On a 3 phase supply 16A will give the maximum 11kW the car can take on AC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It would only make a difference if you plugged into a 7kW single phase charger, which tend to only be in hotels, etc.

16-amp cable single phase = 3.6kW
    16-amp cable 3 phase = 11kW
    32-amp cable single phase = 7kW <- this is what you'd be buying

32-amp cable 3 phase = 11kW <- the car is limiting the charging speed here

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

If you want an extra cable make sure it’s 3 phase 32A. That will give you max charge rate in all circumstances.
    i.e 7kW on single phase and 11kW on 3 phase. Any other combination of cable will be limited in some way.

Anyone any idea how the battery heating works in the ID.3?

Yesterday did a routine home to home trip of 60km. Mainly 80-100km/h for about 50km and remainder city driving. Ambient temp was about 3C setting off, but battery temp was probably about zero. Car had not been used for nearly 2 days. (Car not pre heated)

I live near the brow of a hill and normally by the time I get down to sea level, after a few km, trip shows between 6 and 10kWh/100km depending on temp and heating draw. But yesterday showed 22kWh/100km. This stayed around that figure for about 15km, then started dropping to a more normal 17kWh/100km by time I got home.

Looks like some sort of battery heating was operating initially, pity the car doesn't tell us when.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Anyone any idea how the battery heating works in the ID.3?

Yesterday did a routine home to home trip of 60km. Mainly 80-100km/h for about 50km and remainder city driving. Ambient temp was about 3C setting off, but battery temp was probably about zero. Car had not been used for nearly 2 days. (Car not pre heated)

I live near the brow of a hill and normally by the time I get down to sea level, after a few km, trip shows between 6 and 10kWh/100km depending on temp and heating draw. But yesterday showed 22kWh/100km. This stayed around that figure for about 15km, then started dropping to a more normal 17kWh/100km by time I got home.

Looks like some sort of battery heating was operating initially, pity the car doesn't tell us when.

Wouldnt that be just normal for cabin heating rather than battery heating? The colder weather over the last week would account for how it is now using more than when you got the car in Sep.

It would be a big waste of energy if it routinely heated the battery every time you got in. It should really only do that if it is a long journey.

But to answer your question.... I dont know what algorithm VW use for battery heating or even if it is done at all in the non heat pump variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Did everyone get the same charging cable with their ID.3? From seeing some pictures they don't all look the same.

Mine is a Mennekes branded one rated at a max of 20A

KCross wrote: »
    Wouldnt that be just normal for cabin heating rather than battery heating? The colder weather over the last week would account for how it is now using more than when you got the car in Sep.

It would be a big waste of energy if it routinely heated the battery every time you got in. It should really only do that if it is a long journey.

But to answer your question.... I dont know what algorithm VW use for battery heating or even if it is done at all in the non heat pump variants.

I don't know if it's normal or not, yesterday was cold when I set out, but sun was well up and car didn't feel very cold inside (one advantage of the black roof:)) So cabin heating draw wasn't that big on first part of journey. But trip recorder showed a much higher initial energy usage than normal, which settled well down as I mentioned later.
    Not too worried as range still good for time of year.

Mr Q wrote: »
    Did everyone get the same charging cable with their ID.3? From seeing some pictures they don't all look the same.

Mine is a Mennekes branded one rated at a max of 20A

Haven't checked what mine is rated as, but is taking the full 11kW on type 2 chargers. Supposed to be 16A 3Phase according to the blurb.

Edit. Went out to have a look, says 20A on plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭3d4life

Maybe not the launch ed but ...

534470.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Matt406

Folks – what is your opinion on the ID.3 1st Max vs the ID.3 Max?

Looking that the spec and pricing on both cars (ID.3 1st Max - €48,345 vs ID.3 Max €43,730), it is hard to see what you get for the extra approx. €4600 for the ID.3 1st Max (or am I missing something here)?

Any thoughts??

Looks like there are some pretty good deals atm in the UK for the Life Pro Performance 58kWh. I see some people have managed to get for about £24,600. (Roughly €27,500). Delivery this year, suppose VW anxious to get as many sold as possible before Jan.

Not a bad price for a reasonably well equipped new 58kWh EV, providing you don't mind the steel wheels..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

Just got the monthly invoice from Easy-trip, and it shows that the M50 toll is only 52c now in my ID3.
    Even the €1 monthly fee is discounted to 63c incl.vat.
    :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

rx8 wrote: »
    Just got the monthly invoice from Easy-trip, and it shows that the M50 toll is only 52c now in my ID3.
    Even the €1 monthly fee is discounted to 63c incl.vat.
    :):)

I switched to PAYG with easy trip,no monthly fee anymore as I haven’t used the tag for a year (yes, I was stuck in cork for a year:)) Theres a 10% tolling surcharge though and m50 discount is not elaborated on their website (€1 off with prepay). They never send me a new tag holder, even though I asked them twice since getting the car

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭return guide

I switched to PAYG with easy trip,no monthly fee anymore as I haven’t used the tag for a year (yes, I was stuck in cork for a year:)) Theres a 10% tolling surcharge though and m50 discount is not elaborated on their website (€1 off with prepay). They never send me a new tag holder, even though I asked them twice since getting the car

They are normally very good but I found them a bit hit or miss lately for obvious reasons.

I found that logging in to my account and adding a new car prompts them quicker to send out a tag.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

Can anyone tell me what sort of 'granny cable ships with the ID3 in ireland?

The Enyaq ships with an 11KW capable granny charger (if you connect to 3-phase) which is always useful for those who have access, would be good to know if that was also the case with the ID3 or ID.4 ?

(same applied to the e-Tron and some other VAG cars so not out of the question I think.)

catharsis wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what sort of 'granny cable ships with the ID3 in ireland?

The Enyaq ships with an 11KW capable granny charger (if you connect to 3-phase) which is always useful for those who have access, would be good to know if that was also the case with the ID3 or ID.4 ?

(same applied to the e-Tron and some other VAG cars so not out of the question I think.)

Are you mixing up Granny cable and Type 2 cable?

My ID.3 was shipped with both, the "Granny" is only for a three pin house plug, haven't even looked at it yet but probably about 10A so will only charge at about 2.3kW.

The Type 2 cable that came with car is 16A x 3 Phase so will charge at 11kW from a suitable charger.

Are you mixing up Granny cable and Type 2 cable?

My ID.3 was shipped with both, the "Granny" is only for a three pin house plug, haven't even looked at it yet but probably about 10A so will only charge at about 2.3kW.

The Type 2 cable that came with car is 16A x 3 Phase so will charge at 11kW from a suitable charger.

Nope, the etron, Enyaq, Porsche (I think) all come with a 'smart charger' which can double as a wallbox if you want (like Tesla used to do with their UMC although they have lowered the spec of recent versions)

the description on the Skoda webpage is as follows....

Charging
    iV Universal Charger
    Ready to charge AC with up to 11 kW, serves as transportable wallbox and will be delivered with plugs for 220 V and 400 V connectors

and the cost is zero - i.e. this is standard equipment.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The iV Universal Charger is also called the Clever Cable, it's listed on Skoda as being available from Q4/2020. https://www.skoda-auto.com/world/emobility-faq-charging

I'd be surprised if this was included with the car as it's a relatively high cost item with low utility for most people.

liamog wrote: »
    The iV Universal Charger is also called the Clever Cable, it's listed on Skoda as being available from Q4/2020. https://www.skoda-auto.com/world/emobility-faq-charging

I'd be surprised if this was included with the car as it's a relatively high cost item with low utility for most people.

I'm tempted to agree, I have literally never used the granny charger which came with the 330e nor the leaf, and the Tesla UMC I used once.

However it is a nice to have for those people who do actually have access to a 3-phase supply.

I can confirm it is explicitly listed at zero on the enyaq configurator.
    I can also confirm that an 11KW-cpabale charger was supplied with the e-tron 55 at launch. they actually tried to sell a 'wall-mount' for that unit instead of a standard 6.6KW wallbox as their preferred option at that time.

I cannot verify what Audi supply nowadays though as I cannot get the audi configurator to work :-)

Porsche also supply a fancy 11KW cable, but it may be the case that this is because their standard charger is not yet available... there is some sort of language to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I cannot verify what Audi supply nowadays though as I cannot get the audi configurator to work :-)

I had been having the same problem but it worked flawlessly for me just now

• Advertisement

Nope, the etron, Enyaq, Porsche (I think) all come with a 'smart charger' which can double as a wallbox if you want (like Tesla used to do with their UMC although they have lowered the spec of recent versions)

the description on the Skoda webpage is as follows....

Charging
    iV Universal Charger
    Ready to charge AC with up to 11 kW, serves as transportable wallbox and will be delivered with plugs for 220 V and 400 V connectors

and the cost is zero - i.e. this is standard equipment.

A new one to me, sounds a handy device.

Not with the ID.3 here anyway, afaik VW don't even include the ordinary Granny in the UK.

Advertisement