Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

Would there be any issue with bringing one of these to a drive in movie? i.e. sitting in the car for 2ish hours with the radio and heating on. I assume that would use a chunk of battery, but well within the capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

quokula wrote: »
    Would there be any issue with bringing one of these to a drive in movie? i.e. sitting in the car for 2ish hours with the radio and heating on. I assume that would use a chunk of battery, but well within the capacity.

Shouldn't be a problem, you'll probably need to ensure the car stays 'on' to avoid draining the 12V battery.

Heating uses a lot less then you think once the cabin is warmed up, and the infotainment is always on anyway so it won't factor into the range drop.

Probably the biggest issue will be figuring out how to dim the screens and lighting down so they don't interfere with the movie :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Shouldn't be a problem, you'll probably need to ensure the car stays 'on' to avoid draining the 12V battery.

Heating uses a lot less then you think once the cabin is warmed up, and the infotainment is always on anyway so it won't factor into the range drop.

Probably the biggest issue will be figuring out how to dim the screens and lighting down so they don't interfere with the movie :)

That's an easy one, just pull down on screen and move brightness slider all the way to left. Or just turn off screen.

Agree battery usage would not be much providing you don't want a sauna:)

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Stuck at ionity in cashel for the last 20 min. Card doesn't scan. Ionity said its the we charge problem. We charge are not answering the phone. F me

Stuck at ionity in cashel for the last 20 min. Card doesn't scan. Ionity said its the we charge problem. We charge are not answering the phone. F me

Have you tried all the chargers in case it's just one?
    Presume you can pay with cr/debit card if stuck?

• Advertisement

eagerv wrote: »
    Have you tried all the chargers in case it's just one?
    Presume you can pay with cr/debit card if stuck?

Yes. Same thing. Doesnt unlock the charger screen. Tried to deactivate reactivate the card, nothing. This is a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Use an app?

Lumen wrote: »
    Use an app?

We charge app? Its pretty useless. Ionity one will require me to pay by card at 73c/kWh while I have €550 of credit on we charge card. Have to rely on esb charges. At least I can use the card there. Tbh really pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Tbh really pissed off.

How much did you roll in with, far to go?

How much did you roll in with, far to go?

I charged in Urlingford to 90%. Drove to killing 40% left, stopped at ionity to check and its working here. Wtf? The charging rate is a bit meh started at 57Kw at 50% and dropped to 52kW at 50.

• Advertisement

We charge app? Its pretty useless. Ionity one will require me to pay by card at 73c/kWh while I have €550 of credit on we charge card. Have to rely on esb charges. At least I can use the card there. Tbh really pissed off.

This is why I have several charge cards. Might not get you a better rate but at least you've got options to get the charger started

I still cannot fathom what was wrong with the model of paying with a debit card and then charging the car. Especially in service stations where there's already a shop with a card machine!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The Ionity app. Or Maingau. It's preferable to being stranded.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Did my first trip in cold today - got 22KW/h per 100 (over 200KM) - something doesn't seem right. most of it was on motorway going no faster than 120KM/H - car now at 85% with 244KM range!!! temp set at 21C. Anyone else seeing these crazy poor stats? I'm on eco mode with no Regen enabled

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Did my first trip in cold today - got 22KW/h per 100 (over 200KM) - something doesn't seem right. most of it was on motorway going no faster than 120KM/H - car now at 85% with 244KM range!!! temp set at 21C. Anyone else seeing these crazy poor stats? I'm on eco mode with no Regen enabled

Would 22KW not be normal at motorway speed with high temperature set? Think Eagerv was averaging 18KW on normal roads and he's said he keeps the car around 18 or 19C.

I'd to do 100KM last week and used 30% with the heat up at 20C but outside temperatures were quite low. No motorway driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just one the motor way speed no gps matches the speed it's over reading 120 is about 115..

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Would 22KW not be normal at motorway speed with high temperature set? Think Eagerv was averaging 18KW on normal roads and he's said he keeps the car around 18 or 19C.

I'd to do 100KM last week and used 30% with the heat up at 20C but outside temperatures were quite low. No motorway driving.

Did I hear my name mentioned..:D

Yes, all EVs do not like this sort of weather. Near or below zero at times, wet roads, strong winds. Even my wifes' Ioniq was up around 16kWh/100 today on ordinary roads and it has a heat pump..

The heater on the ID.3 uses about 2kWh/100 as far as I can see. And that's at my preferred 18.5C.

But I checked yesterday morning early when the battery was very cold(Car had not been used for almost 2 days). When sitting powered up outside house I turned off everything (Incl heater) and instant readout settled at about 5kWh/100km. So obviously battery heating was happening. From what I can see so far, this seems to take place when battery is below about 3 or 4C.

As I did not need to leave for a while, I plugged in and set pre heating on car to 22C about 20 mins before I left. (Did not charge). Got into lovely toasty car, checked instant readout was at zero with nothing on, then left with heater at 18.5C and after 40km rural roads not over 80km/h used 10% of battery.

If you need your range in winter (Which I don't) pre heat the car before setting off. Don't use ACC, slow up a little on motorways and don't keep the car too hot. You can always use seat heater which uses little energy.
    Otherwise just drive the car and enjoy:). Energy is cheap!

I drove today 260km on motorway at 115kph with heating at 19C and I had 23 almost all the way but dropped to ab 22 closer to Dublin. Headwind, 4-6c outside temp, wet roads and hills of rebel county...

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

I drove today 260km on motorway at 115kph with heating at 19C and I had 23 almost all the way but dropped to ab 22 closer to Dublin. Headwind, 4-6c outside temp, wet roads and hills of rebel county...

That’s 57kw consumed excluding any heat losses so I assume you had to top up at some point. Unless you made it back on fumes.

Irishjg wrote: »
    That’s 57kw consumed excluding any heat losses so I assume you had to top up at some point. Unless you made it back on fumes.

I had to top up from ab 25% to 90% on esb charger as I could get ionity to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

I had to top up from ab 25% to 90% on esb charger as I could get ionity to work.

Yeah the network is still a right PITA. How many times have we seen others reporting major issues while trying to use Ionity. My round trip to Dublin is 400km so that’s why I’m so fixated on winter range. The charging options along my route are limited and I find my return journey from Dublin saps more energy than the first leg of my journey.

• Advertisement

There is some power in the heater. Very strong frost tonight when leaving work at midnight. Car covered in ice. Pre heated for only 10 minutes from app, but all windows totally clear after. And so comfortable inside so quickly.
    Used 15km of range, probably about 20 cents worth of electricity, worth every cent..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've seen one or two people saying to not use ACC on these, is there a setting to change the ACC profile? The Golf has Eco, Comfort, Standard and Sport. Standard has a bit of go to it, Eco is far, far too slow at getting up to speed where I actually end up with slightly better fuel consumption in Standard with the quicker cruise as it isn't taking forever getting up the last 2-3kph.

Probably a different story in an EV though. Could be worth dialling it back a little if the option is still there.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I've seen one or two people saying to not use ACC on these, is there a setting to change the ACC profile? The Golf has Eco, Comfort, Standard and Sport. Standard has a bit of go to it, Eco is far, far too slow at getting up to speed where I actually end up with slightly better fuel consumption in Standard with the quicker cruise as it isn't taking forever getting up the last 2-3kph.

Probably a different story in an EV though. Could be worth dialling it back a little if the option is still there.

I am not saying to not use ACC, I love it on a longer trip. It's just that it takes a bit from your efficiency, if you are a smooth driver and need maximum range.

I don't notice much difference in response times between the different modes, but possibly this may change with updates.

My vows have continued yesterday. I’ve eventually noticed that I’m missing my wallet which had a charging card in it. It’s likely I dropped the wallet the the north ionity chargers at Kill. I had to drive back yesterday which I had to do I’m my wife’s petrol car and I popped into the petrol station but they said nothing has been handed over. Garda didn’t receive anything either. Anyway, I got through to we charge support today and they said they are working 24/7. BS, they had an answering machine all weekend. He apologised and said as far as they are aware they are 24/7. But I after describing the issue with ionity it has transpired that they actually can’t help with you with charging issues. They can only ask you provide them with the photo of the station and they will come back to with a few days with their investigation. That’s all. Anyway I have ordered a new card via the we charge ID app with no indication of timeline for delivering it. In the meantime I will subscribe to esb so at least I can use my car when at in-laws. I wouldn’t count just on ionity when using the we charge card....

My ID.3 Is dead - tried to unlock via the remote key this morning - no luck, used the manual key to get into the motor and sat in it - put the key into the cup holder - nothing - no lights, no welcome sounds - just a dead motor.. Any idea what this could be? any idea how to sort? - i'll ring VW in a bit..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

My ID.3 Is dead - tried to unlock via the remote key this morning - no luck, used the manual key to get into the motor and sat in it - put the key into the cup holder - nothing - no lights, no welcome sounds - just a dead motor.. Any idea what this could be? any idea how to sort? - i'll ring VW in a bit..

Dead 12V battery. Can you get a jump from another car? Or stick a battery charger on it for short while?

Dead 12v battery most likely, if you have a 12v jump start, or jump cables you can start the car up. Once the car is running it seems to correct itself, but it's likely you have a software issue which causes part of the car to keep running and drain the 12v

Same this happened to Chris on Youtube a while back

Does yours have a keyless entry?

Rang Frank Keane, they put me through to ID-WV Assist who are sending someone out (AA i think).. i'll keep you posted on what they say..

• Advertisement

Does yours have a keyless entry?

Yep - had to use emergency key. the red light on the key illuminates when pressed so the battery is fine..

Advertisement