Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭quokula

I think those prices and trim levels have killed it for me. I was naively, based on the prices VW had been talking about and the trim levels of the cars they were showing, expecting something closer to 30k with all the features of the 50k car.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,163 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Understandable the 1st should have been all singing all dancing for everybody their taking the good out of it with the trim levels unless those trims are going to be a lot more expensive on the regular model which I doubt they will be. I'm not sure what your actually paying for in the 1st, a 1st badge? Pre order should have a major bonus seen as it's VW's first try at it. Suppose your getting it 6mts before anyone else but it's hardly a major incentive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Understandable the 1st should have been all singing all dancing for everybody their taking the good out of it with the trim levels unless those trims are going to be a lot more expensive on the regular model which I doubt they will be. I'm not sure what your actually paying for in the 1st, a 1st badge? Pre order should have a major bonus seen as it's VW's first try at it. Suppose your getting it 6mts before anyone else but it's hardly a major incentive.

Is it not a bit early to be discussing, they haven’t confirmed the spec or anything yet

Also wasn’t it only Germany that got an option and rest of Europe had a single spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've cancelled my preorder, there's not enough in the 1st to warrant picking one up without actually having driven it first. I was under the impression some kit would be thrown in for free but it does just appear you get some 1st badges here and there and that's it.

If I was to get one it would have to be the mid spec at least, and once you've done there it's only another 4k up to the max so might be tempted to do that. I would ask to have the 20" alloys replaced if I did though, they're the worst looking ones of the lot.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Also wasn’t it only Germany that got an option and rest of Europe had a single spec?

The option of three models was pretty much everywhere except the UK, something to do with avoiding the luxury car tax. It was never clear for Ireland. Our ID.3 site was an exact clone of the UK one.

• Advertisement

I've cancelled my preorder, there's not enough in the 1st to warrant picking one up without actually having driven it first.

Driving wise they've mentioned the GTI a few times, I doubt it'll have that go cart feel but 200bhp and RWD can't be bad on the twistys. Those seats don't look very sporty which would have me a little concerned about slipping about in the seat if you try and have some fun.
    Are you going to sit back and see what the future brings or go for something else?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Is it not a bit early to be discussing, they haven’t confirmed the spec or anything yet

What don't we know about the spec? The brocher has the missing pieces, trim, colour etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Driving wise they've mentioned the GTI a few times, I doubt it'll have that go cart feel but 200bhp and RWD can't be bad on the twistys. Those seats don't look very sporty which would have me a little concerned about slipping about in the seat if you try and have some fun.
    Are you going to sit back and see what the future brings or go for something else?

I'm going to sit back for now. I'm driving a Mk7 gti myself so not exactly itching to move on! I just feel the current bik rules are to good not to take advantage of, probably the only time I'd ever buy a brand new car.

I'm going to sit back for now. I'm driving a Mk7 gti myself so not exactly itching to move on! I just feel the current bik rules are to good not to take advantage of, probably the only time I'd ever buy a brand new car.

Exact same boat i've a Mk7.5 GTI. If it wasn't for the bik i wouldn't even be considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

I've had a deposit since day 1 also but dont think I'll be going ahead based on the info provided so far. As others have said in order to pull the trigger on a car you've never physically seen or sat in it would have to be pretty well loaded - if the specs are right and we get 'Line-1' options for 40K then I'm out. I'm not in a rush to pull the deposit so will wait for more definite info but at the prices quoted I'd prefer to wait and stretch to a M3

I'm coming from a highline Passat so basically I want everything I have on that plus more :-)

BTW who has been receiving phone calls from dealers ? Is it not still a bit early considering the final Irish spec and price does not appear to be available.

• Advertisement

There's a < before the 40k so it's probably a bit under then you have the grants so around 32k for the entry 1st i'd assume, that's ok if it's the 200bhp model with fast charging. Fiesta ST money.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,237 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There's a < before the 40k so it's probably a bit under then you have the grants so around 32k for the entry 1st i'd assume, that's ok if it's the 200bhp model with fast charging. Fiesta ST money.

€39,999.99 :pac:

I think People shouldn't judge until they've seen it, as I said the "proper" test drive in the i3 just blew me away, got a good test on back roads it's great, would have seemed like a completely different car unless I drove it on the back roads, it's a lot better than getting a 20 min drive around town with the sales person beside you. Before all that I wasn't a big fan of the i3 either , but even when I sat in it I knew I'd like it a lot more than the Leaf, the Leaf is a good car and not a bad place to sit but the i3 with decent spec is just a lot nicer.

200 Hp of electric power instantly available driving the rear wheels should be good fun compared to say, a 64 Kwh Hyundai Kona with similar power but driving the front wheels, it would drive me nuts because the wheel spin is ridiculous when you want to drive it on, I couldn't imagine it in the wet,

The FWD 150 Hp Leaf is also a pain in the ass in wet. Different tyres would help but it would still be there, the RWD i3 has it's limitations but it is a lot better than leaf or Kona in damp and wet but in the dry there's extremely little wheel spin, it's hard to get the wheels to spin.

Unfortunately the i3 will be BMW's last RWD electric car as they are now moving towards FWD for all their cars, perhaps the SUV's will be RWD , no doubt AWD will be available as expensive options, it's a sad time for BMW owners who like to drive their cars unless but it will be cheaper for BMW and they can make more cash by forcing those who want RWD to opt for AWD. Shameful practice but good for revenue but not for BMW's image really.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

Don't count on that, the advertised price could be after grants.

zep wrote: »

I'd imagine VW would have quoted prices before grants because they are different in each country why would they mention a price even based on German grants ?

BMW Ireland still quote i3 Priced before grants.

Well if it ends up being 32K (seems pretty optimistic!) then better but would still want the options - like keyless entry.

Also, comparing to a Fiesta ST is not really where I'm coming from - I'm not in the market for a hot hatch so I wouldnt buy an ST either. I want a family car with lots of technology "toys" :D The 200bhp is a bonus but not the main driver for getting the car.

59k for a mk9 Golf before grants, not likely.

DriveSkill wrote: »
    Well if it ends up being 32K (seems pretty optimistic!) then better but would still want the options - like keyless entry.

Also, comparing to a Fiesta ST is not really where I'm coming from - I'm not in the market for a hot hatch so I wouldnt buy an ST either. I want a family car with lots of technology "toys" :D The 200bhp is a bonus but not the main driver for getting the car.

Yea I know:), just couldn't think of another 200bhp car at that price. Have to say I did think about trying to manage 3 kids in a fiesta ST it looks like a hoot to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

So does the standard spec not have a heat pump? I got a call yesterday to pick my spec and colour seems a bit early considering we know so little regarding price . Only looks like the top spec comes with a heat pump.

The VW ID.3 in the 1st Edition is available in three lines:

ID.3 1ST Line 1 "Standard" under 40,000 euros
    ► 18-inch alloy wheels
    ► Winter Comfort
    ► Navigation system incl. Media Control, DAB + Radio
    ► App Connect
    ► Voice control
    ► Mode 2 charging cable for normal sockets
    ► ACC
    ► Frontassist
    ► Alternative support, turn assistant
    ► Traffic sign recognition
    ► Leather multifunction steering wheel, heatable
    ► floor mats
    ► Design Scopes 1ST Edition

ID.3 1ST Line 2 or "Plus" starts at less than 46,000 euros

in addition to Line 1 is included
    ► 19-inch alloy wheels
    ► Exterior Style Package (Bicolor Colors)
    ► Darkened side and rear windows
    ► Lighting Pack (IQ.Light LED Matrix Headlight, LED Tail Lights,
    advanced ambient lighting, front light bar)
    ► Welcome Pack (Keyless Advanced, handle recess illumination)
    ► Design seat incl. Comfort package
    ► Pilot Park S (Park Assist incl. Reversing camera)
    ► USB-C sockets

ID.3 1ST Line 3 or "Max" for less than 50,000 euros
    in addition to Line 2 is included
    ► 20-inch alloy wheels
    ► Panoramic glass roof
    ► Infotainment incl. Augmented reality head-up display
    ► Comfort seat incl. Comfort package
    ► sound system
    ► Convenience telephony incl. LTE
    ► Pilot Drive S (Lane Change, Lane Keeping, Emergency and Traffic Jam Assist)
    ► Flat loading floor
    ► heat pump

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The 1st Edition is under €40k in Germany before grants.
    According to VW Ireland they are going to deliver it for that price after grants. Likewise with the <€30k entry model.

The issue will no doubt be spec. What will that entry model have as standard. Not much by the looks of it but it should be a decent drive with 300km+ range.

• Advertisement

Are you saying were going be paying way more than Germany as VW Ireland are matching the German price before grants to our after grant price, I'm a bit confused the way you worded it..

Are you saying were going be paying way more than Germany as VW Ireland are matching the German price before grants to our after grant price, I'm a bit confused the way you worded it..

All we know is what VW have said.
    The 1st edition is under €40k inc VAT before grants in Germany.

When VW Ireland deliver that car here it will be <€40k after grants. Whether thats €39,990 or €35k or anything else is unknown but I think you'd be a wishful thinker to think that it will be significantly below €40k OTR here.

Note that we have a higher VAT rate than Germany and there will be some VRT to pay also which pushes up the price of the 1st edition here. And then add on some Paddy premium pricing.

Efitz2019 wrote: »
    So does the standard spec not have a heat pump? I got a call yesterday to pick my spec and colour seems a bit early considering we know so little regarding price . Only looks like the top spec comes with a heat pump.

Did the garage actually send you that spec list - I know its available elsewhere but just wondering what info they provided if they wanted you to choose a spec :confused:

Also how are you expected to chose a spec without more clarity on the prices - < 40,000 isnt exactly specific :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Efitz2019

DriveSkill wrote: »
    Did the garage actually send you that spec list - I know its available elsewhere but just wondering what info they provided if they wanted you to choose a spec :confused:

Also how are you expected to chose a spec without more clarity on the prices - < 40,000 isnt exactly specific :)

No got a call from the dealer I picked. He went through the spec of the three levels and colours available and asked me to pick we spec level I was going for and colour. Nothing regards pricing. They won’t have pricing available until they know what’s happening with the budget. So probably early November for that.
    Very hard to pick a spec and colour when you don’t know the price of the car and the different spec level prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

KCross wrote: »

When VW Ireland deliver that car here it will be <€40k after grants. Whether thats €39,990 or €35k or anything else is unknown but I think you'd be a wishful thinker to think that it will be significantly below €40k OTR here.

Note that we have a higher VAT rate than Germany and there will be some VRT to pay also which pushes up the price of the 1st edition here. And then add on some Paddy premium pricing.

Agree

If Nissan are charging €42,000 for a less range Leaf62, not a chance a 58kWh VW will be a few cent less than €40,000

Hyundai are charging almost €40,000 for a Kona lol, when diesel is €21,000

Doesn't matter anyway as by the time this VW ID3 comes out grants could be gone/changed dramatically

If someone wants an EV they should buy now or import something from UK before brexit, great deals there

KCross wrote: »

Right so the grants all together are what €8,800 so your saying in Germany it's 40k before grants but in Ireland it's €48,800 before grants. That's the way I'm reading what your saying which I think makes no sense. Have to be misunderstanding you.
    I know there's the extra few % vat and possible some VRT but it couldn't account for a nearly 9k premium over the German one.

I don't think it's wishful thinking it'll be below 40k. If it's not they shouldn't have bothered making it in the first place as you can have a tdi golf for 26k. I don't care how economical electric is nobody is going to make a 22k saving on fuel and still have a car worth anything like they paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rivegauche

reminder: 340km 150ps version will be considerably cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭eagerv

I also got a call yesterday.

I think VW are trying to get a handle on what people want on the first edition and what they are prepared to pay!

He did mention the 3 spec levels, Standard, Plus and Max. Whether we will have all 3 available I don't know. He could not confirm what the battery size would be, but assumed it will be the mid size. Nor could he confirm the BHP.

I told him I would prefer the highest spec, but with 19" wheels. He also said that the highest spec may have the white/brown interior only. I would be okay with that except for the white steering wheel. So may have to go with the Plus if I go ahead. Forgot to ask about the heat pump.

Basically depends upon after grant price and what they will give me to trade before I decide to go ahead.

Right so the grants all together are what €8,800 so your saying in Germany it's 40k before grants but in Ireland it's €48,800 before grants. That's the way I'm reading what your saying which I think makes no sense. Have to be misunderstanding you.
    I know there's the extra few % vat and possible some VRT but it couldn't account for a nearly 9k premium over the German one.

I don't think it's wishful thinking it'll be below 40k. If it's not they shouldn't have bothered making it in the first place as you can have a tdi golf for 26k. I don't care how economical electric is nobody is going to make a 22k saving on fuel and still have a car worth anything like they paid for it.

I didnt say it wouldnt be below €40k. VW Ireland have said it will. Im saying its wishful thinking to think it will be significantly below €40k... you mentioned €32k I think.

Just to give you some figures... lets say its €40k inc vat in Germany before grants and lets say you want to translate that to Irish price it would be...

€40k inc vat in Germany
    €41345 inc vat here.
    Add 14% VRT = €47132
    Subtract €5k grant and €5k VRT exemption gives you €37,132.. .retail!
    Add on delivery and related charges.... €38k OTR
    Add in paddy premium pricing...

• Advertisement

Did you all get a call from a Dublin garage anyone outside Dublin get a call? I hope there not basing on what to import just on what one garage says.

Advertisement