Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I'm just trying out one of the esb 50kW chargers. The car was at 9% after driving about 10km this morning. So battery is cold I'd imagine. It is saying just over 1 hour to 80% and 2 hours to 100%. How would these change If I had driven about 100km to the charger, so with a warm battery, and again at one of the ignition chargers half way to Dublin? I'm hoping that it would be around the 30 min mark. Thanks for any insights. (I'm in an id3 first).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm just trying out one of the esb 50kW chargers. The car was at 9% after driving about 10km this morning. So battery is cold I'd imagine. It is saying just over 1 hour to 80% and 2 hours to 100%. How would these change If I had driven about 100km to the charger, so with a warm battery, and again at one of the ignition chargers half way to Dublin? I'm hoping that it would be around the 30 min mark. Thanks for any insights. (I'm in an id3 first).

Well on a 50kW charger it's going to take longer to 80% anyway

58kWh * 0.7 = 40.6kWh / 50kW = 0.81 hours = 48 mins

So after charging losses, 1 hour sounds fairly realistic

The Ionity chargers would be a lot quicker since the car can charge at the full 100kW. However even with a warm battery, your charging speed will steadily drop after 35%, this is to protect the battery

Bjorn Nyland did a charging test of the ID.3, took about 34 mins to get to 80%.

https://youtu.be/WH2Tm8Ho8I0

One tip for getting the battery warm when driving. If you go slow around 90km/h, the battery won't get warm enough on particularly cold days.

So it's better to drive fast and arrive with a warm battery at the charger

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

So 523 pages in,I haven't got the will to wade through......
    Can somebody distill the ID3 experience for me please ?.
    I liked the car when I drive it what I'd like to know now is

1 what foibles has the car shown ?
    12v issues yet again ?
    2 have they actually fixed the software ?,see number 1

3.if yes is the screen still laggy,is the interface/menu system any friendlier

4 realistic range figures range and charging speeds.

5 are we gonna have a thread for the production model I like the look of the pricing structure specs.

6 debate is do I wait for the ioniq 5

Many thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

adunis wrote: »
    So 523 pages in,I haven't got the will to wade through......

5 are we gonna have a thread for the production model I like the look of the pricing structure specs.

6 debate is do I wait for the ioniq 5

Many thanks in advance

Yes IMO there should be a thread for the standard ID3 models in good time once they are released into the wild or perhaps the title of this thread may be revised.

Regarding the Ioniq5 or any other soon to be announced EV, this thread is not the discussion point but if you can hold off with a purchase for the moment why not wait and see. The ID3 isn’t going anywhere and the longer wait will only give you more valuable info and perhaps a chance to get one at a better price sometime later in 21.

Glad our winter temps generally aren't too low, today the car was very efficient again..

can i get an estimate of how efficient? thinking of upgrading my egolf (which i love). [/QUOTE]

536088.jpg

I'm not as efficient as eagerv is. I have a first plus and he has the more effiient first, but I guess driving style must be part of it. Most of my driving would have a bit of 120kmph as part of the journey.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how the "Reduced charging current" setting works? I've checked the manual and it only says it covers AC charging

I'm guessing it's for limiting charging speed on the 3 pin charger, but does anyone know how much it reduces the charging speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Does anyone know how the "Reduced charging current" setting works? I've checked the manual and it only says it covers AC charging

I'm guessing it's for limiting charging speed on the 3 pin charger, but does anyone know how much it reduces the charging speed?

It affects all AC charging not just 3 pin.
    It takes it down to granny speed, about ~1.8kW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

As KC said it takes all AC down. The reason for this would be if you're on a connection that you know to be dodgy, like old electric wiring in a house.

Thanks, figured it would be down around the 1.5kW range but it's good to know the actual value

Thanks, figured it would be down around the 1.5kW range but it's good to know the actual value

Note, the ID.3 will go all the way down to 1.4kW with your Zappi if you have Solar PV.... other than that 1.8kW seems to be the lowest you can set it to in the car itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Cold battery? 6c outside, only drive here for ab 3km. Started at 4km/min. Down to 3 now. Started at 35 or so %. I always had 5km/min before. Also the charge failed couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

Harry's Garage has just reviewed the ID.3. Not his usual type of car, but as ever well worth looking at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dOEsSVEawc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Cold battery? 6c outside, only drive here for ab 3km. Started at 4km/min. Down to 3 now. Started at 35 or so %. I always had 5km/min before. Also the charge failed couple of times.

Where / what speed charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What's the quickest way to get the battery warm, does pre heating the air con before setting off do it...

Could be a cold battery, I think you're on the borderline where the battery heater might not switch on

Judging from the next move video, if you start charging with a cold battery, it'll stay slow even after the battery warms up. Not sure if that's a bug or a feature

You could try plugging in again after 10 mins, the battery should have warmed up a bit then and maybe it'll charge at full speed

What's the quickest way to get the battery warm, does pre heating the air con before setting off do it...

I felt that pre heating the car did help with warming the battery, but perhaps it was in my imagination:). A few reports on YT etc say it does not.
    Battery warming apparently is quite quick, so if your trip is not too short, it should not be as noticeable.

eagerv wrote: »
    I felt that pre heating the car did help with warming the battery, but perhaps it was in my imagination:). A few reports on YT etc say it does not.
    Battery warming apparently is quite quick, so if your trip is not too short, it should not be as noticeable.

Nextmove did a video about it, to sum it up

- Preheating while not plugged in will preheat the battery (if outside temp below 8C if I remember correctly)
    - Preheating while plugged in will NOT preheat the battery, this is a bug that VW have said they'll fix (although no idea if it's part of the V2.0 update)

The preheating is quick, but I think the issue here is that around 6C it might not have switched on, so the battery could still be cold

Nextmove also found that driving around 90km/h won't heat up the battery enough to charge at full power, you need to drive faster

Hopefully now that they're able to plan charging stops they'll be able to preheat the battery before charging to give you the max charging speed

Nextmove did a video about it, to sum it up

- Preheating while not plugged in will preheat the battery (if outside temp below 8C if I remember correctly)
    - Preheating while plugged in will NOT preheat the battery, this is a bug that VW have said they'll fix (although no idea if it's part of the V2.0 update)

The preheating is quick, but I think the issue here is that around 6C it might not have switched on, so the battery could still be cold

Nextmove also found that driving around 90km/h won't heat up the battery enough to charge at full power, you need to drive faster

Hopefully now that they're able to plan charging stops they'll be able to preheat the battery before charging to give you the max charging speed

It would be handy to know what is going on, as you say hopefully the update will improve things.

I have quite a lot of regen on my first few km of driving, wonder does that help?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

So, my launch edition car, I had it for 2 days, it then went into the garage due to software issues, where it has now been for 30 days. For the last week and a half they've been repeatedly telling me that they've been trying to install the 2.0 software which will fix everything, but the software takes a day to install and if anything goes wrong they have to restart it.

As of right now they can't give me a good estimate of when it will be back to me, they can't even promise it will be before Christmas. I'm wondering if I'm within my rights legally to just cancel the purchase at this point? I signed a thing as part of the PCP contract to waive away the usual purchase cooldown period, but I assume my standard consumer rights overrule that when the car is basically not fit for purpose given that I haven't been able to drive it since a couple of days after I bought it.

I think my preferred outcome right now would be to just back out of this completely and buy a non-first edition with a 21 reg and new software from a different dealership in the new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Has anyone had issues with the boot not opening. Eg you go to open the handle and it remains locked. This has happened twice now to me where the boot remains fully shut (locked) even if I unlock with the fob or am nearby it. It sorted itself out later on, but a bit annoying. Not sure if there is a fix for this or not.

• Advertisement

quokula wrote: »
    So, my launch edition car, I had it for 2 days, it then went into the garage due to software issues, where it has now been for 30 days. For the last week and a half they've been repeatedly telling me that they've been trying to install the 2.0 software which will fix everything, but the software takes a day to install and if anything goes wrong they have to restart it.

As of right now they can't give me a good estimate of when it will be back to me, they can't even promise it will be before Christmas. I'm wondering if I'm within my rights legally to just cancel the purchase at this point? I signed a thing as part of the PCP contract to waive away the usual purchase cooldown period, but I assume my standard consumer rights overrule that when the car is basically not fit for purpose given that I haven't been able to drive it since a couple of days after I bought it.

I think my preferred outcome right now would be to just back out of this completely and buy a non-first edition with a 21 reg and new software from a different dealership in the new year.

You certainly have a case. I'd bypass the dealer at this stage and talk direct to VW Ireland and tell them your story and see what they say.

The dealer having the car for 30 days is ridiculous. Others have had the 2.0 software loaded already so it sounds like the dealer doesnt have a clue. Are they actually working on the car every day or waiting for parts or what?

I was over in your part of Co Wexford earlier TitianGerm..

Bagged 11.2kWh in 1 hour, not to be sneezed at. Excellent Lidl as well, the best I have been in. And well marked wide parking spaces.

i68pDiO.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,036 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

eagerv wrote: »
    I was over in your part of Co Wexford earlier TitianGerm..

Bagged 11.2kWh in 1 hour, not to be sneezed at. Excellent Lidl as well, the best I have been in. And well marked wide parking spaces.

i68pDiO.jpg

Judging by the dirt of the car you came up past my house on the way to Lidl :pac:

Fecking builders have the road ruined with mud caked to it.

I haven't actually been over there yet since it reopened. Enniscothy doesn't seem to be to bad for chargers now and Beechdale Garden Centre are putting one in as well.

The one at Molly's Florist is awful though as the spaces are narrow and the wall is all overgrown so it's very hard to get into the right hand space properly.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Judging by the dirt of the car you came up past my house on the way to Lidl :pac:

Fecking builders have the road ruined with mud caked to it.

I haven't actually been over there yet since it reopened. Enniscothy doesn't seem to be to bad for chargers now and Beechdale Garden Centre are putting one in as well.

The one at Molly's Florist is awful though as the spaces are narrow and the wall is all overgrown so it's very hard to get into the right hand space properly.

The EasyGo at Lidl have the advantage of being free atm.
    Used the ring road out past the Mile House, a handy way to get there when passing. Didn't need a charge today, but got a call on way home from Gorey to get a bit of shopping..

ddarcy wrote: »
    Has anyone had issues with the boot not opening. Eg you go to open the handle and it remains locked. This has happened twice now to me where the boot remains fully shut (locked) even if I unlock with the fob or am nearby it. It sorted itself out later on, but a bit annoying. Not sure if there is a fix for this or not.

Are the rest of the doors, apart from the drivers door, staying locked as well as the boot?
    Happened once to me, had to re set the all doors open in menu. Fine since.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is the ID3 similar in size to the Golf or what’s the nearest ICE?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,036 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Gael23 wrote: »

I'd a 2014 Golf and my ID3 definitely feels roomier inside.

Boot is a bit deeper as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭4goneConclusion

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I'd a 2014 Golf and my ID3 definitely feels roomier inside.

Boot is a bit deeper as well.

Definitely roomier. More like a Passat on the inside I think.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Gael23 wrote: »

Same shoulder width as a Golf, but with the legroom of a Passat.

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »
    Same shoulder width as a Golf, but with the legroom of a Passat.

2 cm wider than a golf 2.4 cm narrower than a passat

Advertisement