Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Saw Kill North Services had the ionity chargers so i stopped to have a look (never used them before) - battery was at 60 and charged to 73 in about 20m - that seems slow so checked the we.charge app & said it did 10kWh in 18 minutes - i would have expected it to be much faster than that - could it have been a dodgy charger or is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭eagerv

Saw Kill North Services had the ionity chargers so i stopped to have a look (never used them before) - battery was at 60 and charged to 73 in about 20m - that seems slow so checked the we.charge app & said it did 10kWh in 18 minutes - i would have expected it to be much faster than that - could it have been a dodgy charger or is this normal?

Probably normal enough, you got 33.3kW if I'm correct. I averaged 40kW the other day, only charged from 50% to about 90%. You need to start at a low battery % to get good speeds. Also temp isn't helping if car hasn't had a good run to warm battery.

2 cm wider than a golf 2.4 cm narrower than a passat

I have had two big people in back and they remarked how comfortable it was..Not sure about three though..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

eagerv wrote: »
    Probably normal enough, you got 33.3kW if I'm correct. I averaged 40kW the other day, only charged from 50% to about 90%. You need to start at a low battery % to get good speeds. Also temp isn't helping if car hasn't had a good run to warm battery.

I pulled up at one this morning as well, drove about 50k to get there but only managed to get 16kW after 25 minutes.
    Will there ever be an option to preheat the battery before starting off?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,444 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I pulled up at one this morning as well, drove about 50k to get there but only managed to get 16kW after 25 minutes.

If you preheat the cabin while unplugged I believe the battery will preheat as well

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

It was giving you about 39kW. What % was your battery at when starting?

It was giving you about 39kW. What % was your battery at when starting?

It went from 42% to 70%, covered 150km after that and I'm back to 5%.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rob5156

I did a 1400km trip last week from France to Germany and was only able to reach the 100kw once the SOC was well below 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I drove from Dublin to cork last Tuesday with stopover at midway with its 150kw charger (according to eCars it’s throttled to 50kW due to supply constraints). 35% used to get there from Dublin (got 30kw at the charger) and another 78% to carrigaline. 110-115kph, into the wind with rain in Tipp (unsurprising, happens every time), 19C in the car, 6C outside - total consumption over 266km was 18.8kWh/100km. Not too bad:) Tomorrow driving return cork Dublin cork, will see how it will fair.

Wondering is there something wrong with my car or does anyone elses front window fog up easily?
    If it's a feature what's the most economical way to keep the window clear without letting down a window.
    I seem to constantly need to use the heaters or air con which has a big impact on range. Found it particularly bad last night driving home in the rain when it was about 6 outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Wondering is there something wrong with my car or does anyone elses front window fog up easily?
    If it's a feature what's the most economical way to keep the window clear without letting down a window.
    I seem to constantly need to use the heaters or air con which has a big impact on range. Found it particularly bad last night driving home in the rain when it was about 6 outside.

This is fairly common with EVs. I just use the fan on the first setting, without any heating if I don't need it, to keep a small flow of air over the windscreen and side screens. Or even a flow of fresh air without any fan will do the job if it's not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,444 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

This is fairly common with EVs. I just use the fan on the first setting, without any heating if I don't need it, to keep a small flow of air over the windscreen and side screens. Or even a flow of fresh air without any fan will do the job if it's not too bad.

Yeah same thing happens with my leaf, the lack of an ice engine blasting out waste heat up front does seem to cause the windows to fog up more

Having more people in the car seems to make it worse, I guess more people breathing puts more moisture in the air

I've found having the heat and AC on with the fan on a low speed seems to be the most economical way to keep the window clear

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Irishjg

During Winter in my EV I set temp to 20c AC on, and point airflow to front windscreen and feet combo.
    Set fan speed to three. It works for me, don’t get fogging and car feels normal not hot or cold. Uses just under 1kW per 100km. Car has heat pump.

I do likewise. I just leave the fan on low and heater on and off as required. I find the ID3 is not fogging much, less than my previous ICE. The pre heating when plugged in is probably helping to keep the mats dry.

A good idea whenever we get a dry day with some sunshine is to take out the mats and let the carpets get a bit of air.

Tomorrow is the shortest day. Spring is on the way. It can only get better..:pac:

(Probably get worse, but I am a bit of an optimist)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Finally got a decent drive in the car today. Enniscothy to Waterford and back. Bit of driving around the City then as well. Heating set to 21c both ways with seat heaters on as well.

Started at 100% and arrived home at 60%. 19.7KW/100KM on the readout.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Finally got a decent drive in the car today. Enniscothy to Waterford and back. Bit of driving around the City then as well. Heating set to 21c both ways with seat heaters on as well.

Started at 100% and arrived home at 60%. 19.7KW/100KM on the readout.

that is a good rate IMO.. what was the top average speed?

that is a good rate IMO.. what was the top average speed?

I was doing 110 - 115 at parts between Clonroche and New Ross and the same again on the New Ross and Waterford ring roads.

I was doing 110 - 115 at parts between Clonroche and New Ross and the same again on the New Ross and Waterford ring roads.

You are a naughty boy....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,106 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Quicker you can get through clonroche the better :D

You are a naughty boy....:D

I have the speed van locations sussed ;)

• Advertisement

I have the speed van locations sussed ;)

The road bridges over the Waterford bypass are a killer and it's not the speed vans. Very difficult to stick to 100 on that road.

It's got a very similar quality to the GTI and that's pace it's easy drift above the limit. The more I drive it the more I like it. it's very sold feeling in the wet, your well cocooned from the elements.

TLDR warning;)

Completed a return trip to Dublin last Saturday. Stopped to charge at portloise plaza (100% to 30%, charged to 64% at 45kW). Strangely enough I had clocked extra 20km somewhere as the odometer showed 196 km driven and Google maps distance was 176km, maybe the since start trip computer didn’t reset overnight. 283km to Dublin with consumption of 19.5kWh/100km, 84kmh average speed, 3h 21 min although the stats are clearly skewed by the extra 20km. Drove 120kph all they way with favourable southerly wind. On the way back wanted to charge at ionity in Kill and test the replacement we charge card. Had to run the battery down on M50 a bit and arrived to ionity with 9%. 1st time ever got 102kW (showed as 9km/min) charging speed, at 31% it was still charging at 99kW, started dropping at 32%. Charged to ab 75% (38kWh over 33 min, av 69kW) to get to cashel to charge at ionity where my previous card wouldn’t work last time. Drove 139km at 125khp in to the wind, arrived with 14% battery. This time I def didn’t get 100kw but I roughly estimated it was ab 80kW. Ionity charges in cashel do not show the power neither the ID3. The car was showing 7km/min so 7/9*100% is ab 77kW so I guess you need to have the soc of <10% to get 100kW. Charged to 80% (65% p, 32kWh over 26 min, av 76kW although there should be loses as I probably don’t have full 58kWh due to degradation, low temp). Got home with 28% after another 99km of hilly wet windy tipp and cork roads with 95kph, 1h 3 min and 22.3kWh/100km consumption (120kph speedometer, 117kph gps). Overall trip 576km (incl extra 20km, unknown travel time), av 88kph, 6h 31min and 20.9kWh/100km or 120.4kW burned:)When driving back encountered a lhd bug, every time I was overtaking a car, the acc would staring slowing down while showing me the car on the left - it clearly gone back to its German roots and though I was undertaking the car:)

That problem where the car slows down when overtaking was fixed for me in the last update. It doesn't slow down when passing different speed zones now either it probably should but I'm happy it doesn't work anymore.
    I'm seeing the same with the trip computer, the since start doesn't always reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

TLDR warning;)

Completed a return trip to Dublin last Saturday. Stopped to charge at portloise plaza (100% to 30%, charged to 64% at 45kW). Strangely enough I had clocked extra 20km somewhere as the odometer showed 196 km driven and Google maps distance was 176km, maybe the since start trip computer didn’t reset overnight. 283km to Dublin with consumption of 19.5kWh/100km, 84kmh average speed, 3h 21 min although the stats are clearly skewed by the extra 20km. Drove 120kph all they way with favourable southerly wind. On the way back wanted to charge at ionity in Kill and test the replacement we charge card. Had to run the battery down on M50 a bit and arrived to ionity with 9%. 1st time ever got 102kW (showed as 9km/min) charging speed, at 31% it was still charging at 99kW, started dropping at 32%. Charged to ab 75% (38kWh over 33 min, av 69kW) to get to cashel to charge at ionity where my previous card wouldn’t work last time. Drove 139km at 125khp in to the wind, arrived with 14% battery. This time I def didn’t get 100kw but I roughly estimated it was ab 80kW. Ionity charges in cashel do not show the power neither the ID3. The car was showing 7km/min so 7/9*100% is ab 77kW so I guess you need to have the soc of <10% to get 100kW. Charged to 80% (65% p, 32kWh over 26 min, av 76kW although there should be loses as I probably don’t have full 58kWh due to degradation, low temp). Got home with 28% after another 99km of hilly wet windy tipp and cork roads with 95kph, 1h 3 min and 22.3kWh/100km consumption (120kph speedometer, 117kph gps). Overall trip 576km (incl extra 20km, unknown travel time), av 88kph, 6h 31min and 20.9kWh/100km or 120.4kW burned:)When driving back encountered a lhd bug, every time I was overtaking a car, the acc would staring slowing down while showing me the car on the left - it clearly gone back to its German roots and though I was undertaking the car:)

Great post as it gives a real honest view of what these cars can do. Do you know what the external temp was that day? Presumably you had temp and ac running away in the car too at normal levels?

Casati wrote: »
    Great post as it gives a real honest view of what these cars can do. Do you know what the external temp was that day? Presumably you had temp and ac running away in the car too at normal levels?

According to my photos the outside temperature was between 7 and 8C throughout the day. The hvac was at 19C with AC on auto setting hroughout the trip. Drove with both eco and comfort drive modes.

Booked in for the second week of January to get the new software update from VW. Dealer is being flexible and letting me leave it in the night before and giving me a loaner for the day which suits me with work at least.

What's the real world implications in the new update of the battery heating being pulled from the charger instead of the car battery, will it lead to faster charging if the battery is cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rob5156

TLDR warning;)

When driving back encountered a lhd bug, every time I was overtaking a car, the acc would staring slowing down while showing me the car on the left - it clearly gone back to its German roots and though I was undertaking the car:)

Encountered the same last week, the car was always slowing down when overtaking another vehicle but nothing similar was happening back on the continent driving on French and German highways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

I got hopelessly stuck in mud and I wish it was possible to turn off creep - I think this is first time I have ever missed having clutch. I had to call for help and even though I had assistance from VW and my insurer, both of them declined help.

Advertisement