Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jp101

Anyone know if it is or likely to be possible to retrofit a heat pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

In fastlane models the HP is €1388

I was quoted €1500 for one in my Tour order. I politely declined.

In Germany it's €1250.

jp101 wrote: »
    Anyone know if it is or likely to be possible to retrofit a heat pump?

I wouldn't think so. You'd have to rip out the standard aircon system and replace it with the heat pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

I wouldn't think so. You'd have to rip out the standard aircon system and replace it with the heat pump.

How much longer to you have to wait for your 77 Silent. I’m looking forward to hearing how much of a difference you gain compared to the standard model on both normal and motorway runs.

Irishjg wrote: »
    How much longer to you have to wait for your 77 Silent. I’m looking forward to hearing how much of a difference you gain compared to the standard model on both normal and motorway runs.

How long is a piece of string? :D

I've been told it'll be in build week 2, so possibly early February delivery..... maybe. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

I've been told it'll be in build week 2, so possibly early February delivery..... maybe. :P

Hopefully as soon as possible, at least by Feb/March you might actually be able to drive some where Silent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

I still haven't managed a decent motorway run yet! Although car getting a good bit of use.

But still finding the car pretty efficient, normally not short runs and pre heating.

Staying within my county, which often means 150km trips but almost all between 60 and 100 km/h. Unfortunately for me I was at my busiest, work wise, when the country was open. And my commute is a bike ride..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,281 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Did you get hit by the lockdown in Germany? My ID.4 got delayed from January to February.

I think they're running a skeleton crew in the factory so production has slowed down

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anyone have PCP figures for these? The finance calculator only has HP but the product page says the Max is €329 which is €39,800 as standard. I'd be looking for a Tech with white paint and 19" wheels for €38,500 so would be a bit less.

Monthly payments don't seem too high considering the cost of the car, is the minimum value high on these? Just wondering if I should be saving money on the side to put towards the refinance down the line.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Anyone have PCP figures for these? The finance calculator only has HP but the product page says the Max is €329 which is €39,800 as standard. I'd be looking for a Tech with white paint and 19" wheels for €38,500 so would be a bit less.

Monthly payments don't seem too high considering the cost of the car, is the minimum value high on these? Just wondering if I should be saving money on the side to put towards the refinance down the line.

As I recall the minimum value is 35-40% and the max deposit is 30%. Can't remember the figures but any generic PCP calculator should give you a good idea

You definitely want to have enough on your bank account to cover 50% of the hire purchase price, if you break out early you'll need to pay any difference between what you've paid to date and that amount

In terms of the final payment, you'll want to have a plan for what you'll be doing at the end of the PCP. A lot of people trade in the car against something new as a way of avoiding that final payment and getting a new car

You can hand the car back and walk away, but I feel if that's the plan then leasing would be a better option

If you want to keep the car, you can either make the final payment or go into another finance deal for the remainder of the money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

If you are into IoT and home automation there is an iobroker adaptor for the ID cars. Works for other VAG cars also (Audi, Golf etc.... basically anything with a WeConnect account).

It connects to your WeConnect ID account and it can pull all the data from their API (charge status, heating settings etc) and you can put dashboards together to display it and even initiate remote features like you can in the App.

Interestingly I see it also shows the charge rate in kW's. The car and app only show the rate in km's/hr which is a bit annoying, even more so now that the data is available in their own API! They should show both in the car.

Anyway.. here is the iobroker adaptor...
    https://github.com/TA2k/ioBroker.vw-connect

You obviously need iobroker up and running first and you need your WeConnect ID account and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

eagerv wrote: »
    I still haven't managed a decent motorway run yet! Although car getting a good bit of use.

But still finding the car pretty efficient, normally not short runs and pre heating.

Had my first decent run on a motorway today, about 120km.

Between 5 and 6 degrees outside temp and 18 inside. At an almost constant 120km/h shown on the car, not GPS speed. Car was already warm.

The car would have struggled to get much more than 200km from a full charge in these conditions.

Mr Q wrote: »
    Had my first decent run on a motorway today, about 120km.

Between 5 and 6 degrees outside temp and 18 inside. At an almost constant 120km/h shown on the car, not GPS speed. Car was already warm.

The car would have struggled to get much more than 200km from a full charge in these conditions.

That doesn’t match my experience and I was travelling at 123km/h and would have got close to 260km out of a full charge.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/115678933

Did you pre-heat the cabin? That will make a big difference.

What kWh/100km was the car showing at the end?

KCross wrote: »
    That doesn’t match my experience and I was travelling at 123km/h and would have got close to 260km out of a full charge.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/115678933

Did you pre-heat the cabin? That will make a big difference.

What kWh/100km was the car showing at the end?

I was going off the percentage of battery usage more than the kWh/100km. About 48% for 100km at 120km/h. Car was heated before I got to this stage.

Your 21.9kWh/100km with an average of 116km/h seems much better.

Ended up with the turtle appearing in the dash close to home

I was going off the percentage of battery usage more than the kWh/100km. About 48% for 100km at 120km/h. Car was heated before I got to this stage.

My evening maths brain isn't great but I think that works out around 23.5kWh/100km? Not too far off all things considered

One thing to remember is you actually lose some capacity at higher speeds. You're pulling more current out of the battery which results in more heat loss from the battery resistance

I think Bjorn Nyland tested it and at 130km/h the real battery capacity was around 52kWh, so 6kWh or 25km of range lost due to heat losses

That puts your consumption close to 30kWh/100km, which is terrible. A big heavy eTron would do better.

Can’t explain why my run was so much better than yours and I had wet road too which is hard on consumption.

That puts your consumption close to 30kWh/100km, which is terrible. A big heavy eTron would do better.

Can’t explain why my run was so much better than yours and I had wet road too which is hard on consumption.

Part of the reason I look at the percentage usage is I don't think the 58kWh is actually available. cruisey1987 mentioned a test by Bjorn Nyland but if I look at the percentage battery used and the kWh/100km they don't add up to 58kWh, about 54kWh the last time I done it.

If 54kWh was the amount available I was averaging about 26kWh/100km

Headwind maybe? It can certainly play havoc with your consumption, gets worse at high speed as well because drag is proportional to the square of velocity

I think Bjorn Nyland tested it and at 130km/h the real battery capacity was around 52kWh, so 6kWh or 25km of range lost due to heat losses
    Part of the reason I look at the percentage usage is I don't think the 58kWh is actually available. cruisey1987 mentioned a test by Bjorn Nyland but if I look at the percentage battery used and the kWh/100km they don't add up to 58kWh, about 54kWh the last time I done it.

VW have clearly stated in their documents that its 58kWh usable. Their wording is "58kWh Net energy amount." That's fairly clear wording. You do obviously "lose" some of that energy to heating the car during the winter so its not usable for propelling the car but it is still usable as such.

I also have a kWh meter on my charge point and adding 50% to the battery took 30kWh. Allowing for 5-7% charging losses that is right on the mark of 58kWh.

I never really understood why Bjorn tests usable capacity by driving the car. There are way too any uncontrollable variables involved by testing it that way.... regen, traffic, temperature, wind speed, driving behavior, altitude differences, heating etc..... they will all mess with your calculations in a big way.

The proper way to test it is to take the car down to turtle mode and charge it to 100% and log the energy used to get it to 100% and subtract ~5% for charging losses.... thats a controlled and repeatable test to figure out your usable capacity.

Headwind maybe? It can certainly play havoc with your consumption, gets worse at high speed as well because drag is proportional to the square of velocity

That might be it. The tail end of storm Bella was around yesterday and it had very strong winds. Was it very windy Mr Q when you did your motorway run?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

I charged from 15% to 60% recently and wallbox reported 22.25kWh over 3h however 45% should be about 26kWh. I guess losses and lower capacity (ab 50kWh vs 58kWh) at low temperatures (weather station reported temp 4-5C between 0:15 and 3:15 on the 29.12.20). Can we check the actual SOC or no dongles for obd port just yet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I never really understood why Bjorn tests usable capacity by driving the car. There are way too any uncontrollable variables involved by testing it that way.... regen, traffic, temperature, wind speed, driving behavior, altitude differences, heating etc..... they will all mess with your calculations in a big way.

I've always had this opinion too, but it can be difficult to question the cult of Bjorn.

Was it very windy Mr Q when you did your motorway run?

A little windy but not too bad. But I did have an "Error:drive system. Please visit workshop." message on the car this morning so possibly related to the heavy consumption

liamog wrote: »
    I've always had this opinion too, but it can be difficult to question the cult of Bjorn.

I'm not in the cult of Bjorn. I questioned his methods back when he was testing the Classic Ioniq. He makes too many leaps and assumptions for my liking.

Anyway, I find him a bit too Tesla leaning.

OK Shoot! :D:D

I charged from 15% to 60% recently and wallbox reported 22.25kWh over 3h however 45% should be about 26kWh. I guess losses and lower capacity (ab 50kWh vs 58kWh) at low temperatures (weather station reported temp 4-5C between 0:15 and 3:15 on the 29.12.20). Can we check the actual SOC or no dongles for obd port just yet?

You guys must have a different car to me! :)

170 km today, 70 km motorway @120km/h and 100 km N roads at mainly 100km/h (But a bit of town and slow traffic).

Temp at or near zero earlier when leaving, about 4C later. Got my worst economy to date of 19.2kWh/100km. Pre heated car before start to 22C, then set temp at my preferred 18.5C.

Charged at Ionity Gorey. From approx 20% to 80%. Received 34kWh in 40 mins. To be honest I expected a bit more, average was only 51kW. I suppose 20% is too high at starting(Even though battery should have been warm) to expect much higher speeds in these temps..

Today was probably a worst case scenario for me, yet still gives me about 300 km range for winter driving. I will very rarely do all motorway trips.

It is very cheap driving considering the performance, refinement and comfort. Just over €1.30 per 100 km in the winter (Night rate home charging) and around €1 per 100 km in summer.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

eagerv wrote: »
    170 km today, 70 km motorway @120km/h and 100 km N roads at mainly 100km/h (But a bit of town and slow traffic).

Temp at or near zero earlier when leaving, about 4C later. Got my worst economy to date of 19.2kWh/100km. Pre heated car before start to 22C, then set temp at my preferred 18.5C.

Charged at Ionity Gorey. From approx 20% to 80%. Received 34kWh in 40 mins. To be honest I expected a bit more, average was only 51kW. I suppose 20% is too high at starting(Even though battery should have been warm) to expect much higher speeds in these temps..

Today was probably a worst case scenario for me, yet still gives me about 300 km range for winter driving. I will very rarely do all motorway trips.

It is very cheap driving considering the performance, refinement and comfort. Just over €1.30 per 100 km in the winter (Night rate home charging) and around €1 per 100 km in summer.:)

Was it 170KM return journey?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Was it 170KM return journey?

Yes, total days driving. Home to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Anyone get the car booked in for the software update? I'm not pushing for it as have no real issues but expected it to be starting around now.. Also, isn't there a 2.1 version coming as well that you need to also get via the workshop so does it make sense to hold off until that is the version?

Also, isn't there a 2.1 version coming as well that you need to also get via the workshop so does it make sense to hold off until that is the version?

^ that

Each update takes hours so you will effectively be losing the car for 2 days instead of one if you want the 2.0 update now.

If the car is taking you from A-B without too much bother I’d wait until 2.1 is available and then get it all in one go.

2.1 is also the one that gives you OTA updates so that should mean no other visits back to the dealer for updates. 2.1 is expected in Feb/Mar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Hours for an update is a joke, same with the Leaf which gets it's update via the garage wifi which is brutal slow, thank fek the Tesla is lightening quick with updates and OTA so no garage involvement

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Advertisement