Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ROSSWATSON

Can I ask how the first movers bonus of the first three months PCP payments is/was being refunded ? I eventually managed to get 1 month refunded so far; seems the dealer did not inform VWFS properly for the claim and I had to chase it hard. I have made 3 payments now - should I have got the full refund in one lump or will it be spaced over 3 months ? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

ROSSWATSON wrote: »
    Can I ask how the first movers bonus of the first three months PCP payments is/was being refunded ? I eventually managed to get 1 month refunded so far; seems the dealer did not inform VWFS properly for the claim and I had to chase it hard. I have made 3 payments now - should I have got the full refund in one lump or will it be spaced over 3 months ? Thanks.

I was in the same situation, the dealer signed me up to a wrong pcp plan so had to harass them to fix it. Had to sign a letter to VWFS to revoke the original pcp plan. Anyway I got my 3 months paid into my account couple of weeks later. Did you buy the car in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ROSSWATSON

No I'm with Joe Duffy M50. I didn't have to sign a revocation letter. I'll need to chase the dealer again to see what they agreed with VWFS. There seemed to be total lack of communication between VW Ireland, VWFS and the dealers re the First Movers scheme. Still, one re-payment means there's an indication that some kind of plan may have been initiated. I was expecting a few teething problems with the car (but have had none), and not with the purchase process.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'd say have patience with the finance side of things. I refinanced my Golf in November, due to start in December and the first payment was only taken yesterday. Hopefully this month's payment is taken on time!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dublinscot

Just placed an order on a new ID3 Tech. Silver, 19" andoya alloys.

Car is due into the country mid February. Quite excited! :)

• Advertisement

dublinscot wrote: »

Did you get any discounts on it? I got nearly €2k off my Golf which was €31k, just wondering if I could expect something similar against a Tech at €38k or so.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Did you get any discounts on it? I got nearly €2k off my Golf which was €31k, just wondering if I could expect something similar against a Tech at €38k or so.

No discounts aside from the SEAI 5k and VRT rebate unfortunately, no.

The price was €40,254 to be exact.

Must have rung around 5 or 6 dealers across the country in the past week. The price was pretty much the same everywhere, but the big difference was on the value of the old Nissan i was trading in.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Must have rung around 5 or 6 dealers across the country in the past week. The price was pretty much the same everywhere, but the big difference was on the value of the old Nissan i was trading in.
    Does that cover you for paint as well or did you choose the moonstone finish.

Irishjg wrote: »
    Does that cover you for paint as well or did you choose the moonstone finish.

Nah... €664 for the silver paint, and €594 for the andoya alloys.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I think they're doing this new agency model, where you effectively buy the car from VW instead of the dealership, same as what they're doing in Germany

It means there's no discounts unfortunately as VW now set the price, not the dealership.

Also there's pretty healthy demand across Europe, so not a huge reason for the salesman to give a discount anyway

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

The tech is the spec I’d go for if I was to order one. Looks the biz on equipment.

I'd be looking for Tech, 19" wheels and white or turquoise paint myself.

Shame to hear about discounts, even a grand would go a long way or even 0% APR.

I think they're doing this new agency model, where you effectively buy the car from VW instead of the dealership, same as what they're doing in Germany

That would fit with what i was told from the dealer i bought off today. He talked about how they sell the new ID3 cars for "cost price", but still get paid from some "rebate".

I didn't know what he meant TBH, but that might seem to fit?

That would fit with what i was told from the dealer i bought off today. He talked about how they sell the new ID3 cars for "cost price", but still get paid from some "rebate".

I didn't know what he meant TBH, but that might seem to fit?

Yeah normally the dealership buys cars from the manufacturer and sells them at a profit. This gives them leeway to lower the price since they can just accept a lower profit

Generally for EVs the profits are lower for the dealership and they're cheaper to maintain which takes away a major source of income for the garage

For the ID models, VW went with a different model. Now the dealer acts as a sales agent and receives a fixed fee for the car. The customer effectively buys the car from VW directly. This means there's no real room for negotiation because VW aren't going to change the price

In theory this gives the dealerships an incentive to sell EVs because they're guaranteed a fixed amount per car. In reality it works out as considerably less than a combustion equivalent, so there's still no real reason for the dealerships to sell EVs

Has anyone looked into installing an inverter in the car to provide a 230V supply? I know people have done it in other EVs but I'd like to see if anyone has done something ID specific

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jonnythefox

My ID.3 was towed over the Christmas as it developed the dreaded 12v charge fault. The VW dealer updated the software to 0753 (2.0) and now I have no we connect. (The app cannot communicate with the car)The infotainment screen shows the car is online with 4g but the we connect cannot get a enrolment QR code. I have tried an online suggestion of removing fuse 19 for the esim. Removed it for 30 mins but that did not work. Did anyone else have similar issues with this software update.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yeah normally the dealership buys cars from the manufacturer and sells them at a profit. This gives them leeway to lower the price since they can just accept a lower profit

Generally for EVs the profits are lower for the dealership and they're cheaper to maintain which takes away a major source of income for the garage

For the ID models, VW went with a different model. Now the dealer acts as a sales agent and receives a fixed fee for the car. The customer effectively buys the car from VW directly. This means there's no real room for negotiation because VW aren't going to change the price

In theory this gives the dealerships an incentive to sell EVs because they're guaranteed a fixed amount per car. In reality it works out as considerably less than a combustion equivalent, so there's still no real reason for the dealerships to sell EVs

Dealers will say whatever to keep the price as high as possible, I am not sure I totally believe what they are saying.

Look what has happened in other markets, especially the UK. The discount dealers such as Car Wow have managed to sell on ID.3s and other EVs at big discounts, which the main dealers have often matched. The Life could be got from as little as €27K and the 1stPlus from about €31K. (Euro converted prices)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

My ID.3 was towed over the Christmas as it developed the dreaded 12v charge fault. The VW dealer updated the software to 0753 (2.0) and now I have no we connect. (The app cannot communicate with the car)The infotainment screen shows the car is online with 4g but the we connect cannot get a enrolment QR code. I have tried an online suggestion of removing fuse 19 for the esim. Removed it for 30 mins but that did not work. Did anyone else have similar issues with this software update.?

Did you try deleting and reinstalling the app.
    I had trouble at the start and deleted all my online volkswagen account and reset them all up again with a new email address then it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭jonnythefox

Did you try deleting and reinstalling the app.
    I had trouble at the start and deleted all my online volkswagen account and reset them all up again with a new email address then it worked.

Tried multiple times. Still no luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭PickYourName

This is a new car, right?

You might expect to hear a story like this about some abused 15 year old car, having to resort to obscure customer fixes and appeals to the Internet, but really?

Unbelievable.

• Advertisement

How does that work with trade-ins? I can't imagine either VW wanting to end up owning a load of questionable cars, nor any dealership forking out hard cash for stock they don't particularly want.

Also, do you have hard information on this, or is it just what you've been told by some sales person desperate for a sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

How does that work with trade-ins? I can't imagine either VW wanting to end up owning a load of questionable cars, nor any dealership forking out hard cash for stock they don't particularly want.

Also, do you have hard information on this, or is it just what you've been told by some sales person desperate for a sale?

I suspect it works something like this.....

Dealer offers you a price to change on the new one with an allowance for the old car.

Old car becomes the dealers car to do whatever they like, they can sell it to the trade or put it into their own stock.

Dealer would be effectively "buying your car" but thats exactly what they do in a normal deal.

It's just that this way the dealer effectively gives you what he sees as the REAL value to him of the old car.

The alternative is to do what Tesla do and get bids for it and Tesla offer you highest bid price.

However I can't see a VW dealer doing that as they want to get some cars into used stock. And they have their ways of dealing with stuff they don't want through trade sales.

Info

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.volkswagenag.com/en/news/2020/05/all-volkswagen-retail-partners-agree-new-sales-model-for-id-family.html&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiWuZvMnY_uAhXlQhUIHYJwBWIQFjAAegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw0OlrlJR-ZSyqPgdRPL7VU2

Not sure how it works for trade ins, I assume the dealership sells those on for profit, it's not like they're selling them back to VW anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

The first dealer i went to wouldn't budge on list price but went to another who knocked a 2K off the list figure & heard stories of a few others got it down further (with trade-ins though) so there must still be some wiggle room even with this selling model - also, if you're paying 40-50K for a car, they surely know that the customer wouldn't expect to be paying list price

Old diesel wrote: »
    I suspect it works something like this.....

Dealer offers you a price to change on the new one with an allowance for the old car.

Old car becomes the dealers car to do whatever they like, they can sell it to the trade or put it into their own stock.

Dealer would be effectively "buying your car" but thats exactly what they do in a normal deal.

I get that, but it's very different from a conventional transaction.

Follow the cash!

Say it's a €40k new car with a €15k trade-in

Conventional: customer (or their finance provider) pays the dealer €25k, which is cash coming in for the dealer. There's a good chance the trade-in will be sold, either directly by the dealer or passing it into the trade before the new car is paid for to the manufacturer (I'm assuming they get credit terms as a business-to-business transaction?). In other words, the dealer is always cash positive.

Acting as an agent: what happens exactly? dealer pays €15k to manufacturer at the same time as customer pays them €25k? in which case dealer is €15k down with a second-hand car on their hands to dispose of. The dealer has to find €15k up front, which they may or may not recover fully.

Traditionally, dealers do NOT like to purchase second hand cars unless it is tied into a sale of a higher value, precisely becuase it's cash coming in rather than going out.

It may be a cliché to say it, but that's probably becuase it's true: in business, cash is king.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

You’re wrong there.

As soon as a dealer registers a car they usually have to pay for it in3-4 working days.

So new car costing 40k. Customer paying 15k, trade in costing 25k. Dealer is in the hole for 25k straight away.

There’s no credit terms, some smaller garages use “stocking” facilities but they charge an extortionate rate for the privilege and take a percentage of the price of the car every month etc until it’s paid for. It’s a messy game.

L-M wrote: »
    You’re wrong there.

I don't think so. I might be making assumptions about credit terms, but not about who writes who a cheque (figuratively speaking, of course).

Cash in is always preferable to cash out and the sequence of the two is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

-4°C outside and the motor power is significantly restricted (~35% down.... note the blue line in pic) due to cold battery.

Still plenty oomph but its noticeable. Regen isnt restricted at all.

538921.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I don't think so. I might be making assumptions about credit terms, but not about who writes who a cheque (figuratively speaking, of course).

Cash in is always preferable to cash out and the sequence of the two is important.

Well, in this game cash in is not. It’s about cash flow. Hugely important.

The only credit available would be on demo models or courtesy cars, but that’s it. Do any used car lot you see is all stock that is costing the dealer money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

KCross wrote: »
    -4°C outside and the motor power is significantly restricted (~35% down) due to cold battery.

Still plenty oomph but its noticeable. Regen isnt restricted at all.

538921.JPG

Am I missing something in the photo? The battery icon is for 20% battery isn't it? And the icon bottom right is for front assist issue?

My car got 120KM from the last full charge. Although I was preheating it for about 15 minutes every day last week before I drove it (6 short trips a day) :pac: I love having the ability to preheat :)

Advertisement