Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Am I missing something in the photo?

Apologies, I didn’t call it out... it’s the blue line below the “37km”. It should go all the way to the “|” but is limited by about a third.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

KCross wrote: »
    -4°C outside and the motor power is significantly restricted (~35% down.... note the blue line in pic) due to cold battery.

Still plenty oomph but its noticeable. Regen isnt restricted at all.

538921.JPG
    I have seen it often down by a small bit, perhaps 10% when the battery is very cold. But it looks like yours is down significantly more, due to the low battery state. What's it at? About 10 or 15%?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Apologies, I didn’t call it out... it’s the blue line below the “37km”. It should go all the way to the “|” but is limited by about a third.

You sure that's due to the cold? I've had mine down lower than that (blue bar much shorter) but that was when I was driving at less than 20% and driving in an "exurbanite" manner.

You sure that's due to the cold? I've had mine down lower than that (blue bar much shorter) but that was when I was driving at less than 20% and driving in an "exurbanite" manner.

When you are stationary the blue bar shows the power available.

eagerv wrote: »
    I have seen it often down by a small bit, perhaps 10% when the battery is very cold. But it looks like yours is down significantly more, due to the low battery state. What's it at? About 10 or 15%?

10% now. The blue line was dropping as I was driving so it is a combination of cold battery and low SoC.

• Advertisement

Yea, mainly cold battery but also the low SoC. There is even a new message after appearing in the main screen with lots of text explaining it and recommending I charge the car to 40% asap!

10% now. The blue line was dropping as I was driving so it is a combination of cold battery and low SoC.

Not the day to be doing your 0 to 100km/h tests, lol:P

As an aside, I put a 12V monitor on the battery which I can monitor from an app. It’s holding steady in this cold weather.

I’ve a feeling the 12V issues are from the higher spec cars with keyless entry or something.

I’ve also got mud flaps and rubber mats on order. Front wheel arches picking up lots of tar so wanted to stop that and the textile mats are filthy so wanted a winter set of rubber mats. I’ll post pics once I have them.

As an aside, I put a 12V monitor on the battery which I can monitor from an app. It’s holding steady in this cold weather.

I’ve a feeling the 12V issues are from the higher spec cars with keyless entry or something.

I’ve also got mud flaps and rubber mats on order. Front wheel arches picking up lots of tar so wanted to stop that and the textile mats are filthy so wanted a winter set of rubber mats. I’ll post pics once I have them.

I don't have a 12 V monitor, but I check regularly with a simple voltmeter. As in your case, I haven't noticed any problems.

Also noticing a bit of tar on side of car and even on back of car. On previous cars I didn't find that mud flaps helped much, but may on the ID.3. A bit of elbow and tar remover in the spring..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Out of curiosity do you have the latest software? I think the early reviewers noted that it didn't turtle mode until the battery was almost totally flat, but I remember battery life saying they changed that with an update so it'll power limit earlier

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity do you have the latest software? I think the early reviewers noted that it didn't turtle mode until the battery was almost totally flat, but I remember battery life saying they changed that with an update so it'll power limit earlier

Original s/w... 0564

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Original s/w... 0564

Out of interest, are you going to book it in for the 0783 or are you going to hold off until the 2.1 becomes available in March?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Out of interest, are you going to book it in for the 0783 or are you going to hold off until the 2.1 becomes available in March?

They won’t install 2.0 if you don’t have 12V battery issues which base versions don’t. I holding off asking the dealer about 2.1 as the answer in known - they don’t have information

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They won’t install 2.0 if you don’t have 12V battery issues which base versions don’t. I holding off asking the dealer about 2.1 as the answer in known - they don’t have information

Mine is booked in next week for the software update. I've had no 12V issues but did have the electric drive train warning and my speedo just showed --- instead of the speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Mine is booked in next week for the software update. I've had no 12V issues but did have the electric drive train warning and my speedo just showed --- instead of the speed.
    Well the 12V problems were the most prominent:)

All you have to do is say you saw the airbag warning light, then they'll do it. They have to get the go-ahead from Germany to do the update on any cars they do, but the airbag fault is one of the major indicators.

The dealer has said that they were briefed that the 2.1 will be available late February or early March. It looks like they have to have it done and dusted by the end of March to fulfil the Q1 promise of full functionality. Then they can tweak with OTA updates after that.

The car is working fine. I don’t wish to lose the car for 2 days for 2 updates so I’ll wait until 2.1 is available, which crucially also enables OTA so hopefully that would be the end of dealer visits for s/w updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The car is working fine. I don’t wish to lose the car for 2 days for 2 updates so I’ll wait until 2.1 is available, which crucially also enables OTA so hopefully that would be the end of dealer visits for s/w updates.

I was booked in for it last week but cancelled said I'd wait for the the proper one in a few weeks, a case of better the devil you know for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

dublinscot wrote: »
    Just placed an order on a new ID3 Tech. Silver, 19" andoya alloys.

Car is due into the country mid February. Quite excited! :)

Nice! Good choice, I went with the same wheels too!

We ordered our ID.3 at the end of November but no sign of it being placed into "production" according to the dealer. Were you told that you'll definitely get yours mid February?

eko wrote: »
    Nice! Good choice, I went with the same wheels too!

We ordered our ID.3 at the end of November but no sign of it being placed into "production" according to the dealer. Were you told that you'll definitely get yours mid February?

My Tour is on the production line this week. I don't expect to see it before February. Ordered early October. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heron_joe

All you have to do is say you saw the airbag warning light, then they'll do it. They have to get the go-ahead from Germany to do the update on any cars they do, but the airbag fault is one of the major indicators.

The dealer has said that they were briefed that the 2.1 will be available late February or early March. It looks like they have to have it done and dusted by the end of March to fulfil the Q1 promise of full functionality. Then they can tweak with OTA updates after that.

Got the airbag warning light and error message today, first issue I’ve had since getting the car. Apart from a very odd crack sound from speakers when I sit into the car. Is it advised to get the software update with this error or can I hold off until 2.1 version?

heron_joe wrote: »
    Got the airbag warning light and error message today, first issue I’ve had since getting the car. Apart from a very odd crack sound from speakers when I sit into the car. Is it advised to get the software update with this error or can I hold off until 2.1 version?

It's your call if you want to push for the 2.0. I'd wait for the 2.1.

I read elsewhere that the 2.0 - or 0783 - software takes a minimum of 8 hours to install, but after that the 2.1 only takes about 2 hours. If you wait for 2.1 you'll only have the 1 trip to the dealer workshop, but it'll be one long one either way.

I don't know if this will speed up once the 2.1 is released as there will be no need to make a case for each car to get the 2.1. This might speed things up a little bit, but it looks like there is no way to sidestep the 8 hour install.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭heron_joe

It's your call if you want to push for the 2.0. I'd wait for the 2.1.

I read elsewhere that the 2.0 - or 0783 - software takes a minimum of 8 hours to install, but after that the 2.1 only takes about 2 hours. If you wait for 2.1 you'll only have the 1 trip to the dealer workshop, but it'll be one long one either way.

I don't know if this will speed up once the 2.1 is released as there will be no need to make a case for each car to get the 2.1. This might speed things up a little bit, but it looks like there is no way to sidestep the 8 hour install.

Ah right, cool. Thanks for the quick response! I’d prefer to wait for the 2.1 update alright.

I am also one who is in no panic for update, the car has been behaving well. The only function I miss is Car Play, but not really needed atm.

Today was the first day for a few weeks that there was no battery heating (Car not pre heated). About 10C, more normal day time winter temp down here. An easy trip at mainly 80km/h and a bit of town driving showed 14.7kWh/100km. The missus had a similar trip in her Ioniq and it showed 13.5kWh/100km.

I hope VW do something with the battery heating on updates, especially on short trips. Is it really necessary?

eagerv wrote: »
    I am also one who is in no panic for update, the car has been behaving well. The only function I miss is Car Play, but not really needed atm.

Today was the first day for a few weeks that there was no battery heating (Car not pre heated). About 10C, more normal day time winter temp down here. An easy trip at mainly 80km/h and a bit of town driving showed 14.7kWh/100km. The missus had a similar trip in her Ioniq and it showed 13.5kWh/100km.

I hope VW do something with the battery heating on updates, especially on short trips. Is it really necessary?

Those are some pretty nice consumption numbers, shows the car should have no concerns most of the year, and only a bit of thinking involved in the depths of winter

We were saying on the E-Niro thread that it'd be nice if car makers would provide controls to enable or disable the battery heating and start the battery heater manually. The driver should have ultimate control over the cars functions

I think pulling power from a cold battery isn't good for battery health, but you could probably give the driver the option of disabling the heater and power limiting the motor instead until the battery warms up. I think that's what Tesla do and it seems to work well enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Lad in work is in a new ID.3 after having a T-Roc for a few weeks not long after buying his ID.3 in the first place. I'm guessing the ID.3 is a loan to replace the T-Roc?

I'd be raging not having preheating in this weather. A diesel crossover is also the last thing I'd want to be driving!

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Lad in work is in a new ID.3 after having a T-Roc for a few weeks not long after buying his ID.3 in the first place. I'm guessing the ID.3 is a loan to replace the T-Roc?

I'd be raging not having preheating in this weather. A diesel crossover is also the last thing I'd want to be driving!

I'm amazed at how much trouble car makers seem to have with this. I mean it's not exactly difficult from a software point of view.

For all it's faults my Leaf can do this and it's running technology from 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭sk8board

We were saying on the E-Niro thread that it'd be nice if car makers would provide controls to enable or disable the battery heating and start the battery heater manually. The driver should have ultimate control over the cars functions

It’s like going back to a manual Choke - the engine runs better if you play around with the engine heating.
    However, the mass market driver doesn’t understand heat pumps (and shouldn’t have to).

This all needs to happen automagically in the software

Those are some pretty nice consumption numbers, shows the car should have no concerns most of the year, and only a bit of thinking involved in the depths of winter

I think pulling power from a cold battery isn't good for battery health, but you could probably give the driver the option of disabling the heater and power limiting the motor instead until the battery warms up. I think that's what Tesla do and it seems to work well enough

I think VW are initially being over cautious with the battery, they are already throttling the power a bit when cold, perhaps by 10% or so. Not really noticeable anyway, most of are used to not gunning a car when we first hop in.. But it's the very aggressive (5 kW or more) battery heating that really knocks your range with a lot of short trips during very cold weather.

• Advertisement

sk8board wrote: »
    It’s like going back to a manual Choke - the engine runs better if you play around with the engine heating.
    However, the mass market driver doesn’t understand heat pumps (and shouldn’t have to).

This all needs to happen automagically in the software

Yeah fair point, but you could have an automatic and manual modes. Manual mode could have a warning to only do it if you know what you're up to

Advertisement