Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

eagerv wrote: »
    I think VW are initially being over cautious with the battery, they are already throttling the power a bit when cold, perhaps by 10% or so. Not really noticeable anyway, most of are used to not gunning a car when we first hop in.. But it's the very aggressive (5 kW or more) battery heating that really knocks your range with a lot of short trips during very cold weather.

Most of the manufacturers seem to be doing that, it's probably for the best especially since they can change the settings once the OTA updates are working

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Does anyone here have the ID3 Family Spec yet? Is there anything not on it you wish it had or think it's missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Greenbin

So after a few months of trouble free motoring my ID3 decided to give some real issues last week. Up till then I only had the airbag warning light. Then on a short drive last Wednesday I noticed the steering wheel controls were gone. When I parked up I could not turn off the lights.. Was fine for the few hours at work but came home and no matter what I tried they wouldn’t switch off. So dead 12v battery the following morning. Called dealer who said call vw assist who passed me to AA who have contract for VW ev’s. (Sure I could have jumped it but having read all the warnings in the book I thought no) On re-start I had the full list of warning lights and could not get it in D/B or R for a while. Eventually got it running and dropped to dealer. Took a few days but now have software version 0703 and no warning lights!
    Home button on driver side of screen and car play working perfectly.
    Really liking the car and not a major issue for me at the moment to be without it for a few days.

Watched Bjorn doing a winter test of the ID.3 there. Unfortunately it looks like the car does have some slow charging issues in the cold

https://youtu.be/VBY1KxmqjP8

Interestingly later in the video when he gets to an Ionity charger he started getting decent speeds despite it being even colder then (-17C as opposed to -5C earlier)

It seems the battery heater is a bit hit and miss, maybe it comes on some times and not others. Hopefully something that can be fixed with software but again it'd be nice to have the option to manually preheat the battery when approaching a charger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Watched Bjorn doing a winter test of the ID.3 there. Unfortunately it looks like the car does have some slow charging issues in the cold

https://youtu.be/VBY1KxmqjP8

Interestingly later in the video when he gets to an Ionity charger he started getting decent speeds despite it being even colder then (-17C as opposed to -5C earlier)

It seems the battery heater is a bit hit and miss, maybe it comes on some times and not others. Hopefully something that can be fixed with software but again it'd be nice to have the option to manually preheat the battery when approaching a charger

I think the problem was that he stopped to charge far too early the time the car was slow to charge. Even I know that the ID.3 only gets the best speed from a low state of charge. The fact that Bjorn doesn't know this says a lot. He would know if it was a Teslaah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Left my ID3 in to get the software update done and got a loaner 2.0L diesel Golf. Was told to put €34,000 as the value for insurance transfer so slightly more expensive than the ID3.

Nice car on the inside but it feels very cramped towards the ID3. It's also really loud and sooooo slow. If I bought a petrol golf without trying the ID3 I don't think I would have been disappointed but it'd be very hard to step back to one now full time.

Also I never want to drive a manual again.

TitianGerm wrote: »

Same here, I don't think I could hack it having to use my left leg, way too complicated

Back in the good times (2019) I drove the wife's car to a wedding that was out of Leaf range. When we sat in the car and I was getting everything adjusted she asked if I was okay driving a manual again and it went something like this

Wife: "You can drive this car right? You remember how to change gears and stuff?"

Me, starting engine: "Ah yeah, it's like riding a bike"

(Puts car in reverse, grinds gears because I didn't press the clutch)

Me: "Oh yeah, I have to press the pedal first, oops"

Funnily enough she's insisted I drive my car since then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭sk8board

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Left my ID3 in to get the software update done and got a loaner 2.0L diesel Golf. Was told to put €34,000 as the value for insurance transfer so slightly more expensive than the ID3.

Nice car on the inside but it feels very cramped towards the ID3. It's also really loud and sooooo slow. If I bought a petrol golf without trying the ID3 I don't think I would have been disappointed but it'd be very hard to step back to one now full time.

VW know their market - they want the golf drivers to move over. More space, more pace, automatic, similarish prices, same dealer network.

This new software upgrade seems to be doing what it should have done from launch too, so the big negative for the id.3 is nearly in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Same here, I don't think I could hack it having to use my left leg, way too complicated

Back in the good times (2019) I drove the wife's car to a wedding that was out of Leaf range. When we sat in the car and I was getting everything adjusted she asked if I was okay driving a manual again and it went something like this

Wife: "You can drive this car right? You remember how to change gears and stuff?"

Me, starting engine: "Ah yeah, it's like riding a bike"

(Puts car in reverse, grinds gears because I didn't press the clutch)

Me: "Oh yeah, I have to press the pedal first, oops"

Funnily enough she's insisted I drive my car since then :D

The service guy brought me to the Golf yesterday and said there you go we'll give you a shout tomorrow.

I got in the car and put my foot on the break. Nothing happened, whats going on here? Oh maybe I've to press this button, nothing happens. Oh yeah I'd to press the clutch on my Golf to start it. Go to put it in gear, wait that's the wipers. Ah yes down on my left, move stick, grregrgrgr. Dam I forgot the clutch.

I hope to God nobody was looking at me :pac:

Have to collect the wife's new Koraq on Friday but I don't think I'll bother driving it because she wanted a manual :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

VW delivered 56k ID.3's in 2020

https://www.volkswagen-newsroom.com/en/press-releases/volkswagen-group-strengthens-market-position-in-2020-and-hits-the-ground-running-in-e-offensive-6752

I thought they were only going to deliver the 30k pre-orders so they have delivered a healthy number for Sep-Dec.
    2021 should be a big BEV year for VW with ID.3 and ID.4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Anyone tried using the we card charging allowance for non ID3 EVs? Does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jossul1179

I have finally got my Volkswagen I'd charger installed:) Is there a way to set the time for it to start charging. I'm on a night saver meter and want to plug car in when I get home at 5pm and then start to charge at 11pm on the lower rate. This must be an option, but i don't see it in the Volkswagen I'd app. I have the connect pro I'd charger.

Sorry if this was already covered.

jossul1179 wrote: »
    I have finally got my Volkswagen I'd charger installed:) Is there a way to set the time for it to start charging. I'm on a night saver meter and want to plug car in when I get home at 5pm and then start to charge at 11pm on the lower rate. This must be an option, but i don't see it in the Volkswagen I'd app. I have the connect pro I'd charger.

Sorry if this was already covered.

don't think it is yet an option for the charger - i remember reading there are firmware updates due this year. the ID.3 charge timer option won't land until the big software upgrade (check how it will look on the battery life youtube channel)..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

don't think it is yet an option for the charger - i remember reading there are firmware updates due this year. the ID.3 charge timer option won't land until the big software upgrade (check how it will look on the battery life youtube channel)..

With software 0783 and up on the car the timer option appears on the app and in the car options.

Mr Q wrote: »
    With software 0783 and up on the car the timer option appears on the app and in the car options.

Thats departure time for cabin heating.

Thats not a charging timer, unless you are saying that that is there too in another screen? I dont think it is though. It will be in the 2.1 update.

KCross wrote: »
    Thats departure time for cabin heating.

Thats not a charging timer, unless you are saying that that is there too in another screen? I dont think it is though. It will be in the 2.1 update.

My mistake, misread it.

No I can't see any additional screen for this option, currently using a smart plug to take advantage of night rate. Yet to install a proper charger.

Mr Q wrote: »
    My mistake, misread it.

No I can't see any additional screen for this option, currently using a smart plug to take advantage of night rate. Yet to install a proper charger.

Think its on the 2.0 release - here are the screens - https://youtu.be/SaWSO7BqDF8?t=271

Think its on the 2.0 release - here are the screens - https://youtu.be/SaWSO7BqDF8?t=271

That looks like it alright. Does it work though?!

Anyone with 783 tried this location charging stuff?

I think the problem was that he stopped to charge far too early the time the car was slow to charge. Even I know that the ID.3 only gets the best speed from a low state of charge. The fact that Bjorn doesn't know this says a lot. He would know if it was a Teslaah.

No, the id.3 coldgates, Bjorn showed this, he has an app to monitor the battery heater and battery temp and at ambient temp of -5 Deg C and a battery temp of 10 Deg C it was charging at only 35 Kw, the battery heater was sitting idle, this is seriously bad in 2021.

Give the driver control over the battery heating, how hard is it to include the option to preheat the battery ?

I hope with a software update it eliminates this because it's unnecessarily and it causes chargers to be tied up much longer than they should.

The Niro, E-soul, Kona, BMW id.3 also have battery heating but do not heat up the batteries properly for fast charging, the BMW i3 only heats to 10 Deg C to allow max acceleration and it has one of the best cooling systems out there so heating the battery to 20 Deg C shouldn't be an issue when fast charging because I've often got to a fast charger at 20-23 deg C battery temp and the cooling system is well able to cool it down when fast charging.

Ambient temps don't tell the full story. Battery temp is what matters.

No, the id.3 coldgates, Bjorn showed this, he has an app to monitor the battery heater and battery temp and at ambient temp of -5 Deg C and a battery temp of 10 Deg C it was charging at only 35 Kw, the battery heater was sitting idle, this is seriously bad in 2021.

What app is it?
    What video did Bjorn show that?
    I think you are mistaking it for his Model 3 videos. In his recent ID.3 videos he said he has no access to the battery temperature and showed no app or battery temps at any stage.

The ID.3 will get slow charge rate if the battery is cold, like every EV. So if you plug in at the start of a journey or if you plug in at 30%+ SoC you wont get 100kW. If you drive the car for a few hundred km's you will get 100kW in this country. -25°C tests in Norway are irrelevant here.

Anyway, I got no coldgating on my motorway run and the temp was 7°C.

The software update is supposed to improve the charge speed further as it will heat the battery based off the nav (apparently) like Tesla do. No issue here really for our climate though.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link. Tried it now and worked perfectly.

Has anyone figured out how much current the dc-dc converter can provide? It'd be good to know if anyone wanted to connect something to the electrical system

What app is it?
    What video did Bjorn show that?
    I think you are mistaking it for his Model 3 videos. In his recent ID.3 videos he said he has no access to the battery temperature and showed no app or battery temps at any stage.

The ID.3 will get slow charge rate if the battery is cold, like every EV. So if you plug in at the start of a journey or if you plug in at 30%+ SoC you wont get 100kW. If you drive the car for a few hundred km's you will get 100kW in this country. -25°C tests in Norway are irrelevant here.

Anyway, I got no coldgating on my motorway run and the temp was 7°C.

The software update is supposed to improve the charge speed further as it will heat the battery based off the nav (apparently) like Tesla do. No issue here really for our climate though.

I don't remember what the app is called.

It's one of his recent videos, it's the one where the Ambient temp was 5 Deg c and the battery 10 Deg C.

I get it, the battery will be cold sometimes but the driver should have the option to specifically heat the battery before they set off on a trip or before they get to a fast charger during the trip and it should be able to maintain a temp to allow max charge current.

I don't remember what the app is called.

It's one of his recent videos, it's the one where the Ambient temp was 5 Deg c and the battery 10 Deg C.

He doesnt have an app or the ability to see the battery temp for the ID.3. You are confused! :)
    I get it, the battery will be cold sometimes but the driver should have the option to specifically heat the battery before they set off on a trip or before they get to a fast charger during the trip and it should be able to maintain a temp to allow max charge current.

They do, its done via the cabin pre-heating.
    The ability to heat it via the sat nav appears to be something they are adding in the v2.1 update but again, it doesnt matter much in our climate based on what I have personally verified myself... I got 100kW @ 7°C.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

He doesnt have an app or the ability to see the battery temp for the ID.3. You are confused! :)

They do, its done via the cabin pre-heating.
    The ability to heat it via the sat nav appears to be something they are adding in the v2.1 update but again, it doesnt matter much in our climate based on what I have personally verified myself... I got 100kW @ 7°C.

As you say I don't think it's a problem here, I have generally been getting good speeds when I arrive with a low battery. My last Ionity was the worst, temperatures near zero and what I thought was about 20% when plugging in. But may have been just over 20%. Got 52kW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Any photos here of what the VW charger looks like when installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Johnfred

5854D5A0-64AA-494F-9150-2EBECFC57688.jpeg
    Gael23 wrote: »
    Any photos here of what the VW charger looks like when installed?[

Johnfred wrote: »
    5854D5A0-64AA-494F-9150-2EBECFC57688.jpeg
    Gael23 wrote: »
    Any photos here of what the VW charger looks like when installed?[

Who did the installation?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Mines the same pebble dash and all but I put the isolator on the inside behind the charger as it's on the garage wall so you only see the charger from the outside.
    Local electrician fitted it for €150, I supplied all the parts and ran the cable from the fuse box to the garage he just connected it all.
    Probably €200 spent on parts I used heavy cable which I ran the length of the house through the eves in the attic.

• Advertisement

Mines the same pebble dash and all but I put the isolator on the inside behind the charger as it's on the garage wall so you only see the charger from the outside.
    Local electrician fitted it for €150, I supplied all the parts and ran the cable from the fuse box to the garage he just connected it all.
    Probably €200 spent on parts I used heavy cable which I ran the length of the house through the eves in the attic.

Careful, you'll get the RECI police on your case if you even look at the electrical wires :D

Advertisement