Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Any of you good ID.3 owners fancy doing me a favour?

I believe that the driver's footrest is just carpeted, with no plastic or metal protection from muck. I want to try to model and print a plastic piece to protect the carpet, but I need fairly good measurements of the footrest. If I can model a footrest piece, I'll make it available to download on Thingiverse.
    I might even be persuaded to print a few off, within limits. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The one beside the accelerator is plastic, have you seen anything worth printing, just reminded me print a suglasses clip for the visor.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The one beside the accelerator is plastic, have you seen anything worth printing, just reminded me print a suglasses clip for the visor.

Think Silent meant the foot rest to the left side of the foot well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Mr Q

eagerv wrote: »
    Ok, today was not cold, about 9C. Turning on/off heater only changed GOM by about 10km earlier. By the time I got home it had almost no effect on GOM, only drawing about .2 or .3 kWh/hour (Lol, that's the way it's now displayed, surely kW would be more correct?)

It does now show kWh/h when the car is stopped for some reason. But once you start driving this changes to the normal kWh/100km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,444 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Brilliant :D

That must be the most versatile bit of film ever, any time something screws up just caption that scene

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭eagerv

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

He's on the ball about the temperature controls! :)

I believe that the driver's footrest is just carpeted, with no plastic or metal protection from muck. I want to try to model and print a plastic piece to protect the carpet, but I need fairly good measurements of the footrest. If I can model a footrest piece, I'll make it available to download on Thingiverse.

Did you read this thread?...
    https://www.speakev.com/threads/foot-rest-mod.154918/

It links to a product on amazon which has the sizes listed and one of the owners has actually used them and posted a pic of it in his ID.3

KCross wrote: »
    Did you read this thread?...
    https://www.speakev.com/threads/foot-rest-mod.154918/

It links to a product on amazon which has the sizes listed and one of the owners has actually used them and them a picof it in his ID.3

I did, but I think the linked article, the BMW footrest, looks a bit big for the job. I was thinking of modelling something smaller.

Sometimes, on a long drive, I like/need to stretch my left leg straight. In the e-Niro there's room to let my left foot (good name for a film) slide forward between the footrest and the brake pedal, to the bulkhead. With the BMW part, it looks too tight to do this.

It might not be possible to get my foot through there, even without an add-on. I can't remember from driving the demo cars.

• Advertisement

I might see if the ID.4 footwell is the same size when I get it and see if a printed plastic bit fits, might be useful to save since the left leg is basically unused and the footwell will get some wear and tear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

I was actually thinking of doing the same when I get mine, not sure if my print area will be big enough. How big is yours? :pac: (print area that is ;) )

lafors wrote: »
    I was actually thinking of doing the same when I get mine, not sure if my print area will be big enough. How big is yours? :pac: (print area that is ;) )

That's part of the reason I was looking for measurements. ;)

Ender 3. If I position the bed clips right I'd probably get a usable bed size of about 230 X 230, or a smidge more. So, about 300 on the diagonal. I can't see it being that long.

I did, but I think the linked article, the BMW footrest, looks a bit big for the job. I was thinking of modelling something smaller.

The issue is that its not exactly rectangular. You'd need more than just LxW. I think you'd need a template rather than a simple LxW but it depends on how neat you want the finish to be.

I'll give you some measurements if you wish.

KCross wrote: »
    The issue is that its not exactly rectangular. You'd need more than just LxW. I think you'd need a template rather than a simple LxW but it depends on how neat you want the finish to be.

I'll give you some measurements if you wish.

Yeah, looking at the pictures on SpeakEV, it's quite an irregular shape. To look tidy, it would need to follow the shape of the footrest. I'd be happy to assume that it's under 300mm tall, so it should be printable.

Maybe it would be best to wait for my car to model it.

The VIN appeared in the myvolkswagen portal on 22/01, so the build should be finished the the car should be on the way here. I reckon I'll have it before the end of February.

Yeah, looking at the pictures on SpeakEV, it's quite an irregular shape. To look tidy, it would need to follow the shape of the footrest.

Maybe it would be best to wait for my car to model it.

Yea, I'd be thinking that too. Get a template and get a perfect fit. Get it wrong and it'll look cheap!

Yeah, looking at the pictures on SpeakEV, it's quite an irregular shape. To look tidy, it would need to follow the shape of the footrest.

I'd be happy to assume that it's under 300mm tall, so it should be printable.

The amazon pics have it at 275mm so you'll manage it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

The VIN appeared in the myvolkswagen portal on 22/01, so the build should be finished the the car should be on the way here. I reckon I'll have it before the end of February.

May I ask, when did you order your ID.3? We ordered near the end of November, but still no sign of a build week. Also, is MyVolkswagen something you can see yourself? So far, I've been asking the dealer to check every so often. Eager to try to get the car before the VAT rate goes back up after February. :(

eko wrote: »
    May I ask, when did you order your ID.3? We ordered near the end of November, but still no sign of a build week. Also, is MyVolkswagen something you can see yourself? So far, I've been asking the dealer to check every so often. Eager to try to get the car before the VAT rate goes back up after February. :(

I ordered around the 12th of October.

Get the commission number from the dealer, go to volkswagen.ie. On the top left there is a menu button. Choose 'owners and users', then 'myvolkswagen'. Go to the 'add vehicle' area and put in the commission number you got from the dealer.

If the VIN isn't there, the car hasn't been built yet. If it is there that means that the car is either being built - takes about 3 days normally - or is in transit to the dealer. There's no way to find out when the VIN appeared, so if it's not there check every day. When you see it, that gives you an idea where you stand. The VIN is produced just as the car enters the production line.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

Get the commission number from the dealer, go to volkswagen.ie. On the top left there is a menu button. Choose 'owners and users', then 'myvolkswagen'. Go to the 'add vehicle' area and put in the commission number you got from the dealer.

If the VIN isn't there, the car hasn't been built yet. If it is there that means that the car is either being built - takes about 3 days normally - or is in transit to the dealer. There's no way to find out when the VIN appeared, so if it's not there check every day. When you see it, that gives you an idea where you stand. The VIN is produced just as the car enters the production line.

Thanks! I guess I'll be waiting well into March or even April now, but good to know - maybe they will delay the VAT rate hike (I can only hope!). Cheers for the detail, will get the commission number from the dealer, so I can check this myself now. :)

That's a good trick, I've got my ID.4 added, need to come up with a nickname for it now :)

I guess I've got some other bit of car information to obsessively check several times a day now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Quick question, can you turn off the colours on the infotainment or is there a dark mode for night driving? I like the prominence of black on the Golf infotainment, I frequently see the ID.3 with a mix of white/colour, I'd just like something less flashy. Is that an option?

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Quick question, can you turn off the colours on the infotainment or is there a dark mode for night driving? I like the prominence of black on the Golf infotainment, I frequently see the ID.3 with a mix of white/colour, I'd just like something less flashy. Is that an option?

Yes, it has "Dark mode".

DaveyDave wrote: »

One thing I love about the e-Niro is that the infotainment and dash screens darken at a certain level of light outside. It seems to be independent of the headlight sensor too, which I thought was weird.

When the lack of light triggers it, the dash lights dim and the info screen goes to dark mode. It gives the cabin a sort of cosy feeling. :)

I hope the ID.3 does something similar.

One thing I love about the e-Niro is that the infotainment and dash screens darken at a certain level of light outside. It seems to be independent of the headlight sensor too, which I thought was weird.

When the lack of light triggers it, the dash lights dim and the info screen goes to dark mode. It gives the cabin a sort of cosy feeling. :)

We've turned the E-Niro thread into an ID.3 thread and now we're talking about E-Niros on the ID.3 thread

I feel like the mods are gonna start yelling at us in a sec :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭eagerv

I think it does:). Before the update it seemed to stay too bright when started up in the dark, it waited until the system booted up properly before dimming. Appears to be better now with the faster warming up time..

We've turned the E-Niro thread into an ID.3 thread and now we're talking about E-Niros on the ID.3 thread

I feel like the mods are gonna start yelling at us in a sec :D

Hey! Check out the last line! I'm on topic. :D:D

Hey! Check out the last line! I'm on topic. :D:D

So why have you decided to get rid of the E-Niro ? you only have that what 1.5 years ?

I saw on youtube the 77 Kwh putting in 38.something Kwh in 20 mins, that's pretty good and will be better if VW can get the battery to heat when you want to charge.

I remember having to wait something like 40 mins to get around 18 Kwh in the 2015 Leaf or 50 mins if it was cold. :D

The 77 Kwh is tempting at 41K with the traffic assist and 125 Kw charging.

Did I read somewhere where VW are expected to increase the charging current on the id3 ?

Only thing I'm concerned with is the 4 seats but the lads will be in them for some time yet, the 6.5 Year old is in it a while and the 5 year old will be in it soon.

And one of the lads I'll be working with said the new site has 4 chargers on site which is handy because this is the site furthest up near the Airport, whether they allow me use them is another matter.

Did I read somewhere where VW are expected to increase the charging current on the id3 ?

As yet it's only a rumour, so unless something gets announced I wouldn't bank on it anytime soon.

I doubt the current set would be able to handle higher charging power, VW aren't Tesla, they're not going to put higher spec hardware in the car for future upgrades.

They might tweak the charging curve however to give a better average charging speed. Once they get OTA updates working then it'll be a doddle to check
    And one of the lads I'll be working with said the new site has 4 chargers on site which is handy because this is the site furthest up near the Airport, whether they allow me use them is another matter.

Would that be Dublin airport by any chance? If so, I could do a flyby to see what the story is on one of my many coffee outings (that's about as exciting as it gets up here). Feel free to PM me details and I'll see what I can find

As yet it's only a rumour, so unless something gets announced I wouldn't bank on it anytime soon.

I doubt the current set would be able to handle higher charging power, VW aren't Tesla, they're not going to put higher spec hardware in the car for future upgrades.

They might tweak the charging curve however to give a better average charging speed. Once they get OTA updates working then it'll be a doddle to check

Would that be Dublin airport by any chance? If so, I could do a flyby to see what the story is on one of my many coffee outings (that's about as exciting as it gets up here). Feel free to PM me details and I'll see what I can find

Nope it's the North West Business park so close enough to the Airport, it's near that java coffee place so I'll be very lucky if they let me use the chargers as we're only tenants on site. The other sites don't have chargers but they're not as far and one of them is pretty much beside where I was working before in Grangecastle.

I was impressed to see another video from Battery Life showing 50 Kwh in 28 mins delivered to the id.3 77 Kwh.

Now if we only had proper charging hubs......

• Advertisement

So why have you decided to get rid of the E-Niro ? you only have that what 1.5 years ?

I saw on youtube the 77 Kwh putting in 38.something Kwh in 20 mins, that's pretty good and will be better if VW can get the battery to heat when you want to charge.

I remember having to wait something like 40 mins to get around 18 Kwh in the 2015 Leaf or 50 mins if it was cold. :D

The 77 Kwh is tempting at 41K with the traffic assist and 125 Kw charging.

Only thing I'm concerned with is the 4 seats but the lads will be in them for some time yet, the 6.5 Year old is in it a while and the 5 year old will be in it soon.

The truth is that I probably wouldn't be changing if my e-Niro was the 2020 version. The first edition Niro is missing a good bit of stuff. With the ID.3 I'll be gaining an app, front parking sensors, bigger battery, faster charging, better infotainment screen, electric seats with massage, nicer wheels, RWD, OTA updates, matrix LED headlights and the fantastic HUD.

I'll be losing frunk storage, rails for a roof box and a back seat. Also little things like soft touch door cards and dash and a top tinted windscreen.

I've said before that I'm a bit apprehensive about the change. I know the E-Niro and what it can do for me. It truly is a great electric car and it's very happy on long motorway runs. I'm taking a bit of a leap of faith into the ID.3.

Advertisement