Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If it gets rid of that wheel gap and improves the handling it's probably worth it, can fit them myself, any downsides?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Mr Q

If it gets rid of that wheel gap and improves the handling it's probably worth it, can fit them myself, any downsides?

Probably feel the joins in the roads a bit more but I actually prefer the way it rides now. Where are you based, you could drive it if close

Previous car was a 7.5 GTI doubt I'll mind too much, thanks for the offer.

Another option air suspension :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

KCross wrote: »
    @TitanGerm, @eagerv, @Mr_Q, or anyone else that has the 2.0 software.... how are you getting on with the timed charging? Any issues?

I only set it up last night and it did charge but only to 72% (I had it set to go to 80%).

I had preferred charging time set to 23:00-08:00 so its not that.
    I had the 0-50% setting set to 0 and as expected did not do anything when i plugged it in
    And then the last setting set to 80% with no cabin pre-heating so I was expecting it to get to 80% at 8am.

Basically, I wanted to plug in during peak hours and have it start the charge at the appropriate time during the night rate hours so that it got to 80% by 8am.... it almost got there but not quite and I'm not sure why.

It had enough time as the car was only at 40% (or thereabouts).

One thought that struck me is that maybe the 3.6kW cable is tricking it and its not starting the charge session early enough. Maybe it assumes a min rate of 7.2kW? Just thinking out loud.

What have been your experiences?

I’d say it’s to do with the 3.6KW cable - rounding this down to 3kWh (to make mental maths easier) means that you’re only adding 5% charge per hour.

Apart from the issue I highlighted back in post 6599 on P440 (which was the timer not shutting off after reaching the lower charge limit, that I had set to 20%) I haven’t encountered any other significant issues.

1 other thing I noticed this morning was that if you have both the charge and air-conditioning timers set but don’t have the car plugged in to charge then the heating doesn’t come on.

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭alfa_aficionado

Regarding the charging timer - like the i3 the car seems to leave charging to the latest time possible, i.e. rather than starting to charge as soon as the timer kicks in (and then completing the charge earlier and switching off again), it seems to start later so that the car is finishing the charge by the end of the timed period.

There is presumably a reason for this (warming battery perhaps) but the problem is that if something happens you may not get the full charge.

9.1kWp (5.6E/3.5W)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Mr Q wrote: »
    Probably feel the joins in the roads a bit more but I actually prefer the way it rides now. Where are you based, you could drive it if close

Any chance of a couple of pictures of how it looks now?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

eko wrote: »
    Thanks! I guess I'll be waiting well into March or even April now, but good to know - maybe they will delay the VAT rate hike (I can only hope!). Cheers for the detail, will get the commission number from the dealer, so I can check this myself now. :)

I still don't have a VIN on the MyVolkswagen web site but the dealer has told me that the car should arrive just before the end of February. Let's see how realistic that is.

Also, he said that it is not confirmed that 2.0 (0783) will be on the car when I get it nor has VW or he ever heard of a 2.1 software update coming later. Hmm.

I think people here, who have received their new cars recently, have the 2.0 / 0783 update, right?

I still don't have a VIN on the MyVolkswagen web site but the dealer has told me that the car should arrive just before the end of February. Let's see how realistic that is.

Also, he said that it is not confirmed that 2.0 (0783) will be on the car when I get it nor has VW or he ever heard of a 2.1 software update coming later. Hmm.

I think people here, who have received their new cars recently, have the 2.0 / 0783 update, right?

0783 has been installed on the cars in production since mid December last year. The only way it would have older software is if it was a car that was in stock since before that time. These cars are around, especially in the UK, but most dealerships seem to be updating the software before collection.

If your dealer doesn't know about 2.1 being rolled out soon, I'd take anything they say as dealer speak. My dealer was briefed by VW about 2.1 in mid January, with a rollout planned for end of February, but this seems to have slipped a bit. I wonder why.

It's only slipped a week, VW said expect it in Week 8 now instead of week 7, it's week 5 now so not long to wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

0783 has been installed on the cars in production since mid December last year. The only way it would have older software is if it was a car that was in stock since before that time. These cars are around, especially in the UK, but most dealerships seem to be updating the software before collection.

Hmm.. interesting - I'd prefer the car to be built from new rather than existing stock, I'm presuming that this is going to be the case - surely I can choose if I want a newly built car or existing stock? Hoping so.
    If your dealer doesn't know about 2.1 being rolled out soon, I'd take anything they say as dealer speak. My dealer was briefed by VW about 2.1 in mid January, with a rollout planned for end of February, but this seems to have slipped a bit. I wonder why.

Also interesting... quite honestly I have gotten cold feet on this purchase - it seemed a good idea in November, but now, with still so many issues with the cars you guys have and now unknowns from the dealership, I am having second thoughts. It may be a tad late to pull out though. Our e-Golf still runs quite nicely and no issues from new until now.

Hmm.. interesting - I'd prefer the car to be built from new rather than existing stock, I'm presuming that this is going to be the case - surely I can choose if I want a newly built car or existing stock? Hoping so.

Also interesting... quite honestly I have gotten cold feet on this purchase - it seemed a good idea in November, but now, with still so many issues with the cars you guys have and now unknowns from the dealership, I am having second thoughts. It may be a tad late to pull out though. Our e-Golf still runs quite nicely and no issues from new until now.

If you ordered in November and are still waiting for the car, it's not going to be a car from stock. You'd have had the car last year.

I'm concerned about the ongoing software glitches too. But I think that this means too much to VW for them to get the software wrong long term. If they can't sort the ID.3 and ID.4 software and quickly, they might just face an existential threat

My car will be delivered with 2.0 software as it was built last week. Cars built after build week 8 should have the 2.1 installed in the factory. I believe that VW will get things right with the 2.1 software and any niggling issues will be dealt with OTA. New features are rumoured to be incorporated in 2.1 so I can't wait to see what they might be.

Any of you good ID.3 owners fancy doing me a favour?

I believe that the driver's footrest is just carpeted, with no plastic or metal protection from muck. I want to try to model and print a plastic piece to protect the carpet, but I need fairly good measurements of the footrest. If I can model a footrest piece, I'll make it available to download on Thingiverse.
    I might even be persuaded to print a few off, within limits. ;)

It looks like VW have sorted this on the newer cars.

https://www.speakev.com/threads/foot-rest-mod.154918/post-2961280

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Are dealers doing test drives at the moment or is that on hold as well?

JohnK wrote: »

No test drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

In a general sense, no test drives at the moment

However, I've seen a few demo cars driving out of Airside motor park. It could be the dealership staff driving them, but they could also be test drives

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Do you find the handling poor or just not as sporty as you'd like?

I didn't think there was anything negative about the handling when I test drove one, suspension is something that's immediately obvious as being poor on any other small car I've driven and I always look forward to getting back into my Golf. The sport suspension on the standard Golf isn't far off the firmness of a GTI but the quality of it isn't quite as nice.

I do enjoy throwing my Golf into the corners, it's pretty well planted for a standard car and quite lively with the DSG in sport mode. I fear the weight of the ID.3 will kill off the ease of a spirited drive...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

I'm taking an ID3 for a month next week, going to do a more long term review on one. I've a home charger but one week I might film some bits where I can only use public chargers. I will probably drive it to 1% and see what range that gets me. Any other things that you would love to know if you're waiting on an order or just curious in general, let me know and I will include. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

MarkN wrote: »
    I'm taking an ID3 for a month next week, going to do a more long term review on one. I've a home charger but one week I might film some bits where I can only use public chargers. I will probably drive it to 1% and see what range that gets me. Any other things that you would love to know if you're waiting on an order or just curious in general, let me know and I will include. :)

Try hold off on taking one until the 2.1 software is out and on the car. Then you'll be able to give an opinion on the "promised" car.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Irishjg

Mark, if you are planning on driving it to 1% please can you take note of how many kilometres you achieved from 50% down to 1% Cheers Mark.

• Advertisement

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Try hold off on taking one until the 2.1 software is out and on the car. Then you'll be able to give an opinion on the "promised" car.

If the car is being collected next week it won't have 2.1 on it. But... it might have 2.0. If that's the case it would be an ideal time to do something that would be very popular on Youtube.

Make arrangements to have the car updated to 2.1 while you have it. Try the 2.0 for a week or so and get the update done (~2 hours), then report on 2.1.

You could be the first on Youtube to report on the 2.1 software and compare it to the 2.0.

2.1 will be available from around 22nd of February.

Great shout! I'll talk to VW.

Just to note you won't have snow when the 2.1 software arrives if you feel like pulling that abs fuse to enable drift mode.

Great shout! I'll talk to VW.

It would interesting to see what their answer is. If they're confident that 2.1 is going to be a success they'll happily do it. If they're unsure, they'll find a reason not to do it.

Well VW? Confident in 2.1 or not? :D

How do you see what charging stations are close when your not low on power, it comes up when you need to charge but can't see how to see them otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

How do you see what charging stations are close when your not low on power, it comes up when you need to charge but can't see how to see them otherwise.

I've seen a screen where it shows nearby charging stations and their general direction, can't quite remember how to get to it

I think maybe if you hit search while in navigation?

Proably also searching for "charging stations" would get your nearby ones

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Current software on the ID3 is like night and day compared to the first launch. Haven't had a single issue in 3 days of driving. Love it I have to say!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,098 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Current software on the ID3 is like night and day compared to the first launch. Haven't had a single issue in 3 days of driving. Love it I have to say!

Are you not getting the "internet radio not available" warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dublinscot

I test drove an ID3 and e-208 during the current restrictions.

Only 5 minute spins round the block, but enough to get a feel of the cars.

It all depends on the dealer i think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

What version has it got?... 0783?

Advertisement