Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭MarkN

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Are you not getting the "internet radio not available" warning?

Sorry, I am.

But compared to the first version the sluggishness, red screens, having to restart the software etc - that's all gone.

I'll double check the version later. I only had 3 days with the ID3 last time though so I'm really feeling it a lot more now. Handles well, quick, looks good, LOVE the cabin pre heating. If I was buying I'd probably want the ID4 just cause I've two kids but they should absolutely make a GTI version of the ID3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

MarkN wrote: »
    Sorry, I am.

But compared to the first version the sluggishness, red screens, having to restart the software etc - that's all gone.

I'll double check the version later. I only had 3 days with the ID3 last time though so I'm really feeling it a lot more now. Handles well, quick, looks good, LOVE the cabin pre heating. If I was buying I'd probably want the ID4 just cause I've two kids but they should absolutely make a GTI version of the ID3.

When do you think you'll have your video of this longer term review up?
    How are you finding the range over the last few days? Like is there a noticeable drop with the cold of the last few days?

And a few other questions for the owners on the thread....
    Coming from an Ioniq I plug in as needed and just let it charge i.e. I don't have night time rates so I just let it charge to 100% and leave it plugged in. this way when I go to leave in the morning I have it set to heat at 7am (it needs to be plugged in to do this as it uses the external power to do it.

So
    On the ID3 when I plug it in when I get home will it start charging immediately?
    Will it charge to 100% for me? (FYI there is no degradation in the Ioniq after 3 years of always charging to 100% so I don't get the charging to 100% is bad...unless the battery chemistry is different)
    Does the ID3 need to be plugged in to pre heat the cabin?
    Can you set the pre heat of the cabin on a schedule?
    Can you start the pre heat from your phone, an app I guess?
    Is there a setting to only heat driver position when in the car, like in the ioniq?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,036 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

lafors wrote: »
    How are you finding the range over the last few days? Like is there a noticeable drop with the cold of the last few days?

And a few other questions for the owners on the thread....
    Coming from an Ioniq I plug in as needed and just let it charge i.e. I don't have night time rates so I just let it charge to 100% and leave it plugged in. this way when I go to leave in the morning I have it set to heat at 7am (it needs to be plugged in to do this as it uses the external power to do it.

So
    On the ID3 when I plug it in when I get home will it start charging immediately? - yes it'll charge straight away.

Will it charge to 100% for me? (FYI there is no degradation in the Ioniq after 3 years of always charging to 100% so I don't get the charging to 100% is bad...unless the battery chemistry is different) - I set a limit of 80% on mine but if you don't have that set it'll charge to full.

Does the ID3 need to be plugged in to pre heat the cabin? - Nope. I normally turn on the heating using the app about 5 minutes before I leave. There are departure timers but I haven't bothered with them yet the way work is.

Can you set the pre heat of the cabin on a schedule? - Yes. Only two can be set at the moment though.

Can you start the pre heat from your phone, an app I guess? - Yes. We Connect app.

Is there a setting to only heat driver position when in the car, like in the ioniq? - You can direct the airflow anyway in app and set a seat to heat.

Answers above.

lafors wrote: »

Not sure if one overall video would be useful or shorter individual ones - happy to be led on that one. My plan is to produce a video that is really helpful to the uninformed and curious when it comes to EVs and cover some of the stuff like what you've set out. If it's one longer one then I won't publish / film it until I've had it for the month.

On the ID3 when I plug it in when I get home will it start charging immediately? If you want to yes

Will it charge to 100% for me? (FYI there is no degradation in the Ioniq after 3 years of always charging to 100% so I don't get the charging to 100% is bad...unless the battery chemistry is different) You can swipe to adjust the charge needed to 100%

Does the ID3 need to be plugged in to pre heat the cabin? No, it'll pre heat without being plugged in

Can you set the pre heat of the cabin on a schedule? Yes

Can you start the pre heat from your phone, an app I guess? I believe so, haven't tried it as I'm not the owner etc so can't sign up to things like that

Is there a setting to only heat driver position when in the car, like in the ioniq?
    Thanks :) Hopefully have mine within the next 2 weeks. Yes, most EVs have this though to be fair

Mark in your video you could mention how to set up your favourites for the pull down menu at the top of the screen. This is handy to put options that you use fairly frequently that are buried in menus.

Another tip would be how to rearrange your display screen. I didn't know this was possible until eargerv posted about it so I'd imagine plenty of people are just using the default. And the way I have it set now is much better for my usage.

You could also show how tapping two fingers on the heat slider will turn on the seat heater. Very handy feature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Not sure if one overall video would be useful or shorter individual ones - happy to be led on that one. My plan is to produce a video that is really helpful to the uninformed and curious when it comes to EVs and cover some of the stuff like what you've set out. If it's one longer one then I won't publish / film it until I've had it for the month.

Following on from the other posts about tips 'n tricks...

if you keep your finger on the "Rear" button for the windows it will flash and then when you operate the up/down buttons it will cause the front and back windows to move together... hope that makes sense.

I wouldnt get into the charging timer stuff just yet other than to say its not fully functional. We need the 2.1 software for that to all work. Just plug it in and let it charge straight away or start it via the app once night rate kicks in.... lots and lots of complaints about the timers not working properly in the 2.0(0783) version... me included.

Some annoying things.... that the car has to shut everything down as soon as you lift your ass off the seat. Thats starting to bug me. I hope they change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

KCross wrote: »
    Following on from the other posts about tips 'n tricks...

if you keep your finger on the "Rear" button for the windows it will flash and then when you operate the up/down buttons it will cause the front and back windows to move together... hope that makes sense.

I wouldnt get into the charging timer stuff just yet other than to say its not fully functional. We need the 2.1 software for that to all work. Just plug it in and let it charge straight away or start it via the app once night rate kicks in.... lots and lots of complaints about the timers not working properly in the 2.0(0783) version... me included.

Some annoying things.... that the car has to shut everything down as soon as you lift your ass off the seat. Thats starting to bug me. I hope they change that.

Tried the timed charging last night, set it to charge between 1am and 3am, only wanted a small bit to bring up battery a bit. Started fine (Saw green light before going to bed) but must have turned off about 45 later because only received 4kWh. (According to charge point). I think I will forget about timed charging until after 2.1.

Be careful not to lift your ass off the seat if reversing with seat belt off. Makes for an interesting emergency stop.:D

I'm taking an ID3 for a month next week, going to do a more long term review on one. I've a home charger but one week I might film some bits where I can only use public chargers. I will probably drive it to 1% and see what range that gets me. Any other things that you would love to know if you're waiting on an order or just curious in general, let me know and I will include. :)

Also interested to know if your car has the 2.0 update, sounds as though it has. If your home button etc is on the right of screen, then it has been updated.

When the temp rises a bit to more normal Irish winter temperatures will be interested how you find the range. The battery heating is using a lot of energy atm on short trips, though I think has improved a bit since I got the update.

Home button on the right.

Also, 151km since Monday, 64km left. 23.6kWh/100km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Also, 151km since Monday, 64km left. 23.6kWh/100km

nothing strange with those figures (i'm seeing the same)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Syrinx

I'm taking an ID3 for a month next week, going to do a more long term review on one. I've a home charger but one week I might film some bits where I can only use public chargers. I will probably drive it to 1% and see what range that gets me. Any other things that you would love to know if you're waiting on an order or just curious in general, let me know and I will include. :)

I’m thinking about buying an ID.3, but probably not until after Covid is gone when I can drive it somewhere.

It would be great if you could spend some time reviewing the boot space and its practicality. Most reviews compare with the Golf but only in terms of litre capacity, with the parcel shelf in place. Bjørn Nyland did a banana box test but not sure how that compares to real-world luggage.

I’d like to know if it has enough space for 2 large suitcases (or more if it fits).

Looking forward to your video!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's very like a golf for load space has a bit more if my eyes aren't deceiving me.

Syrinx wrote: »
    I’m thinking about buying an ID.3, but probably not until after Covid is gone when I can drive it somewhere.

It would be great if you could spend some time reviewing the boot space and its practicality. Most reviews compare with the Golf but only in terms of litre capacity, with the parcel shelf in place. Bjørn Nyland did a banana box test but not sure how that compares to real-world luggage.

I’d like to know if it has enough space for 2 large suitcases (or more if it fits).

Looking forward to your video!

I can fit my Golf bag (tour size) and my electric trolley in the boot. I drop the single back seat and the bag goes through then. When I close the boot the parcel shelf doesn't move whereas it did on my Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I can fit my Golf bag (tour size) and my electric trolley in the boot. I drop the single back seat and the bag goes through then. When I close the boot the parcel shelf doesn't move whereas it did on my Golf.

Does your's have the raised floor? Removing that seems to open up a lot of space

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Does your's have the raised floor? Removing that seems to open up a lot of space

I've the ID3 First. I don't think that has the false floor but I could be wrong and to be honest I never even checked.

I've the ID3 First. I don't think that has the false floor but I could be wrong and to be honest I never even checked.

If it's the same as my Base 1st there is no false floor. There is just one lowest position, with a small hole at the back that will hold a cable or two.

eagerv wrote: »
    If it's the same as my Base 1st there is no false floor. There is just one lowest position, with a small hole at the back that will hold a cable or two.

I bought a boot mat when I was buying the car so never looked underneath it. Would I fit the charge cable in it?

I bought a boot mat when I was buying the car so never looked underneath it. Would I fit the charge cable in it?

I have the Granny in it, plus a few other bits. Don't think it will take the Granny and the Type 2 cable, but haven't tried. Keep a NoCo booster down there (Just in case, but haven't had to use it).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah you should have more space in the base 1st, there's probably enough room for both the charging cables

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Dunno whether to charge it or not. Work commute tomorrow and back isn’t 40kms. Will use pre heating for the morning. Risk it for the review or plug the damn charger at the side of the house in.....

8-A5-D062-C-38-A0-4403-8-A7-D-110-E06-A56-B8-F.jpg
    2-FC6-BC56-3367-4-A49-ACEA-CA4-EF5-D35766.jpg
    online json parser validator

Dunno whether to charge it or not. Work commute tomorrow and back isn’t 40kms. Will use pre heating for the morning. Risk it for the review or plug the damn charger at the side of the house in.....

Turn off that heater, you big softy..:D

Probably give you another 30km.
    I wouldn't risk it though..:)

If it's cold tomorrow then your battery heater will kick in and eat up a bit of your remaining range. I'd charge it for an hour just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'd plug it in for the night, have it nice and toasty when your leaving tomorrow. If there's anything I've learned running an EV, charge it when you can to avoid stress.
    If you get stuck somewhere with a low battery your goosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I doubt you'd make it. Pre-heating and a very cold battery from overnight and you will be at the side of the road tomorrow.

In the interests of science you should go for a shorter drive now near your house and see how quickly it drops and then plug it in for the night and rest easy! ;)

You have all convinced me I think... I’ve an Ionity card and eCars card with the car. Ionity is 25 mins away on the M1 though so kinda negates the drive up as the extra quick range is then used up a bit coming home...

Caved...

8-C0-C2-DCE-75-FF-4-F17-BC3-F-061-B07-E3-F68-F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

That's very poor from UK. I guess there could be data missing. Be a bit worries if it is worth their while building rhd on those hind of volumes

• Advertisement

That's very poor from UK. I guess there could be data missing. Be a bit worries if it is worth their while building rhd on those hind of volumes
    UK probably included in "sonstige" and I expect electrics are selling well over there due to generous BIK rules.

Advertisement