Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

UK probably included in "sonstige" and I expect electrics are selling well over there due to generous BIK rules.

No all of that is def. Malta, worries over :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

No all of that is def. Malta, worries over :pac:

To be fair, Malta would be one of the easiest countries to have an EV, they probably don't even need fast chargers :)

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

On track for what, 150-200k in the first year? Plus the ID.4 coming as well, I could see Zwickau hitting it's max production of 330k cars per year quite easily

No wonder they're rushing to get more factories online

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Greenbin

Not a bad return on a trip last Friday/Saturday. Only prob is my OH was driving so putting up with a lot of slagging since!

I was watching a German youtube video last night and the presenter making two leaps like guesstimate of maintenance cost for id3 and assumption that all charging for ID3 was done at home estimated that the cost when leasing the entry level id3 was 120 euro per month less than leasing an entry level Golf.
    Removing Government subsidy and it would be still be cheaper in the ID3.

• Advertisement

I was watching a German youtube video last night and the presenter making two leaps like guesstimate of maintenance cost for id3 and assumption that all charging for ID3 was done at home estimated that the cost when leasing the entry level id3 was 120 euro per month less than leasing an entry level Golf.
    Removing Government subsidy and it would be still be cheaper in the ID3.

Factoring in the very high domestic tarrifs for electricity in Germany, that is pretty reassuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Leasing seems to be a whole different ball game in Germany. I was pricing a GTI out of curiosity one evening and all the leasing options were dirt cheap compared to what we'd pay on PCP with a large deposit. Very certain it was less than what I'm paying for my Highline Golf. I don't think you need huge deposits either.

Now this was around two years ago so I could be wrong but no matter what finance option I was looking at it was cheap.

Factoring in the very high domestic tarrifs for electricity in Germany, that is pretty reassuring.
    yes, he was talking about 30c per kwh which sounded high to me.
    Some of his saving was due to insurance for him being cheaper on the ID3. It was about 140 euro cheaper per year.

He said there were also additional benefits for those who had solar panels installed but didn't count those savings.

I know Chris from Battery Life recently did a video about how his car costs more to run in winter than the equivalent diesel. I'm sure it'll balance out over the year but it's not the best statistic

He mentioned the price of electricity where he is is around 25c per kWh and there's no night rate available

I know Chris from Battery Life recently did a video about how his car costs more to run in winter than the equivalent diesel. I'm sure it'll balance out over the year but it's not the best statistic

He mentioned the price of electricity where he is is around 25c per kWh and there's no night rate available

He was doing short runs in really cold weather, with electricity over double the price here and with desiel prices ~ 10% less than here.

• Advertisement

He was doing short runs in really cold weather, with electricity over double the price here and with desiel prices ~ 10% less than here.

And up a mountain to get to work

He did admit its something of a special case, but it does show how differences in electricity prices can make a big impact to the potential savings

I wonder do they have standing charges over there or is it all rolled into the unit rate?

And up a mountain to get to work

He did admit its something of a special case, but it does show how differences in electricity prices can make a big impact to the potential savings

I wonder do they have standing charges over there or is it all rolled into the unit rate?
    Don't feel too sorry for him. He confirmed that his youtube videos about the ID3 are more than covering the monthly cost of his ID3.

Don't feel too sorry for him. He confirmed that his youtube videos about the ID3 are more than covering the monthly cost of his ID3.

Ah sure, he's putting out good content so I'm happy that he's making some cash off of it

When he's out buying Model S Plaid+ editions like our favourite Norwegian then I'll stop feeling sorry :rolleyes:

Speaking of our Bavarian friend, he did a video about how to get 100kW charging in winter

Couple of interesting things
    • Battery will only charge at 100kW if SoC is below 15%
    • Battery needs to be around 30C to charge at 100kW
    • For now, battery heater only goes to 13C, but there's going to be an update at some point which will preheat when navigating to a charger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Surely the effort of getting the battery to 30c is pointless as you'll eat charge doing that. Unless you're really after a 100kW charge?!

Speaking of our Bavarian friend, he did a video about how to get 100kW charging in winter

Couple of interesting things
    • Battery will only charge at 100kW if SoC is below 15%
    • Battery needs to be around 30C to charge at 100kW
    • For now, battery heater only goes to 13C, but there's going to be an update at some point which will preheat when navigating to a charger

I think there should be a separate option for battery conditioning and just give the control to the driver. For instance, I might want to heat the battery up when staying away from home, the next morning after sitting there all night the battery will be cold and there might be a charger 10 mins away but I want to charge at a decent rate and not have to wait much longer so from the app all I'd have to do is press battery precondition, even if it heated to 21-22 Deg C at lest give People the control. Precondition while navigating is better but it is still only useful while you are on a long trip with a decent charge already in the battery.

I do really believe the engineers of electric cars should have to drive electric cars in cold weather and have to endure increased charge times for it to sink how frustrating cold batteries can be to live with.

MarkN wrote: »
    Surely the effort of getting the battery to 30c is pointless as you'll eat charge doing that. Unless you're really after a 100kW charge?!
    I was thinking that they should drop the ID3 another 10mm, reduce tyre width to 205 from 215 and put in a smaller battery pack. They'll get the same range and the physical mass of battery which needs to be pre-heated is reduced. you might not be able to charge it as fast or pull as much power but if you are dealing with a smaller battery and lighter car then you don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,120 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thats the problem it has at present. It heats the battery even if you are doing a short trip to the shop, which is completely pointless and just wastes the energy.

They are supposedly addressing that in the 2.1 software but no one knows what exactly they are implementing. In the meantime you will get poor range/efficiency figures if you do lots of short journeys.

I think there should be a separate option for battery conditioning and just give the control to the driver.

+1
    Within reason though.

Most people wont know/care/understand battery temperature and charging curves etc and "we" shouldnt be forcing people to learn that either. It should be just a sit in and drive experience since thats what they have right now with ICE.

However, an advanced menu that gives extra control/flexibility for those that do understand it would be welcome.

For instance in the app, a simple slider labelled "Battery heater on" would do nicely and allow the owner turn that on/off as required and obviously still implement the "heater on" if you navigate to a rapid charger.

I think there should be a separate option for battery conditioning and just give the control to the driver. For instance, I might want to heat the battery up when staying away from home, the next morning after sitting there all night the battery will be cold and there might be a charger 10 mins away but I want to charge at a decent rate and not have to wait much longer so from the app all I'd have to do is press battery precondition, even if it heated to 21-22 Deg C at lest give People the control. Precondition while navigating is better but it is still only useful while you are on a long trip with a decent charge already in the battery.

Yeah I agree, they can do it automatically but there could be a button to preheat for charging immediately. It's easy enough to implement and you could flash a warning message that it'll drain your battery faster to stop people over using it

• Advertisement

I guess it depends on the road, should be easy enough driving on the motorway

I think Chris had to hammer it as he needed to heat the battery up in a short time. Over a long trip at motorway speeds you'll probably get to 30C anyway

Probably the main thing is not to expect 100kW if you're arriving with more than 15% battery. If you need to charge then there's nothing you can do but you'll just need to take it into account

I do really believe the engineers of electric cars should have to drive electric cars in cold weather and have to endure increased charge times for it to sink how frustrating cold batteries can be to live with.

+1, same goes for charging providers, they should be forced to drive EVs and use only that network, no home charging

But that's a different thread :D

To be fair to VW, the bosses have said that a lot of employees will be getting electric vehicles instead of ICE ones in future. Hopefully that'll help some of the software issues get fixed

I guess the VAG, Merc. and BMW guys are doing that right now. Gets cold in Japan in winter and Korea is further north, so most of them except maybe the Tesla guys and the southern Chinese will all have a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,195 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

From what I read 2.1 will heat the battery from the charger which should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

From what I read 2.1 will heat the battery from the charger which should help.

Anyone heard anything yet from their dealers regarding 2.1? the servicing guy told me 'march' but a few people on here said after week 8 & after the 22nd of Feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Anyone heard anything yet from their dealers regarding 2.1? the servicing guy told me 'march' but a few people on here said after week 8 & after the 22nd of Feb.

VW have said that 2.1 will be installed on cars being built from build week 8, which starts on the 22nd of February.

My dealer told me 'March' too. :D

My dealer told me i'd probably know before he does.

Will someone with the 2.0 software try this and see will the traction control button work if it's there. Won't work on mine with the 0784 but the button is there.

Without turning on the car or pressing the brake, pull down the top menu and hold a button, you should see it then.

IMG-20210214-233730.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

Guys, what type of button cell battery does the key on the ID.3 take? Is it the CR2025 or CR2032?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭eagerv

eko wrote: »
    Guys, what type of button cell battery does the key on the ID.3 take? Is it the CR2025 or CR2032?

Thanks!

CR2032

Mine is the Base 1st, so not keyless entry..

Advertisement