Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Cyrus wrote: »
    Sorry I didn’t clock that you meant it would be plugged in.

Yea, it was really just a suggestion to show that the same journey with cabin pre-heating will give better range/efficiency especially for shorter journeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Syrinx

MarkN wrote: »
    Feedback welcome - good or bad! I'll use the comments here and under the video itself to film what people suggest. Really wanted baby steps in this one though so most of you will probably be bored :P

Great video Mark! Every time I mention that I’m considering an EV, someone has something negative to say, including how the battery could die in traffic if the radio or heat was on. I’ll be directing those skeptics to your reviews in the future.

Thanks for showing suitcases in the boot too – I have never owned a Golf or driven one with a loaded boot, so didn’t have that point of reference. The ID.3 also looks deceptively smaller!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Feedback welcome - good or bad! I'll use the comments here and under the video itself to film what people suggest. Really wanted baby steps in this one though so most of you will probably be bored :P

Good video Mark.

You did say this car is available for €33k which makes it seem the entry price for the ID3. Might be worth mentioning that there will be a smaller battery option released for the rumoured €28k.

Also on your range figure near the end of the video. It might be worth bringing that up in the second video if the weather is warmer (no battery heater active) and telling people what it is at that point 200KM v 250KM for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,040 ✭✭✭Jofspring

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Good video Mark.

You did say this car is available for €33k which makes it seem the entry price for the ID3. Might be worth mentioning that there will be a smaller battery option released for the rumoured €28k.

Also on your range figure near the end of the video. It might be worth bringing that up in the second video if the weather is warmer (no battery heater active) and telling people what it is at that point 200KM v 250KM for example.

I thought it was rumoured to be the same size battery, so same range, in the cheaper one, it will just have less power?

If they do release a cheaper one with a similar range I'd say it'll sell like hotcakes. A lot of people in this country don't care for high power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Haven’t asked yet, will upload the first video this evening around 8pm and I’ll be talking to them during the week. Is Feb 22nd confirmed?

Feb 22 is when they start installing it onto cars being assembled.

There are owners in the UK and Germany being offered appointments for next week to install it.

I would imagine that VW Ireland wouldn't be under the same restrictions as the dealers, and would have access to the software as soon as it becomes available on the VW servers. You'd think they'd be anxious to get the software out there to get some positive reports on it made public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭MarkN

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Good video Mark.

You did say this car is available for €33k which makes it seem the entry price for the ID3.

I actually noticed on the VW site it's closer to 32k. I assume that's ex delivery etc

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I think there's way to many variables with the ID3 at the moment to start making range claims until the software is sorted out. I often flatten the battery in one go and weather does have an influence but so do a lot of other things.

It's a good start, I'd be careful not to nerd out too much a lot of the ev reviews from deschiff, bjorn etc turn into yawn fests which made the videos unnecessary long and boring.

For most people going to an ID from a petrol or diesel the biggest tip you could give is plug it in at night and you'll have no worries about range the following day. For longer trips plan ahead with an app like abrp which takes in current weather conditions.

Jofspring wrote: »
    I thought it was rumoured to be the same size battery, so same range, in the cheaper one, it will just have less power?

The entry model is yet to be released. It has a smaller battery, less range and less power. 45kWh (i think) vs 58kWh in the current model.
    Jofspring wrote: »
    If they do release a cheaper one with a similar range I'd say it'll sell like hotcakes. A lot of people in this country don't care for high power.

The price of the current 58kWh model is as cheap as its going to get I'd say (starts at €33k OTR). If you want a cheaper ID.3 you'll have to wait for the entry level 45kWh to be released.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

There is also the ID.3 58kWh with the lower powered motor (107kW motor instead of the current 150kW) which is on the planned releases, so there is still likely to be some scope for a cheaper car with the same range.

liamog wrote: »
    There is also the ID.3 58kWh with the lower powered motor (107kW motor instead of the current 150kW) which is on the planned releases, so there is still likely to be some scope for a cheaper car with the same range.

Did they confirm that? I havent seen it mentioned. Would make sense though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,030 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

liamog wrote: »

surely same battery with lower power would give more range?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

KCross wrote: »
    Did they confirm that? I havent seen it mentioned. Would make sense though.

Here's the info https://www.vwpress.co.uk/en-gb/releases/4443 it's about £1,300 cheaper in the UK than the entry Life Pro Performance

Cyrus wrote: »
    surely same battery with lower power would give more range?

A lower power motor shouldn't really affect the range, the fundamentals of overcoming air resistance and rolling resistance remain the same, the only real difference is in the time taken to accelerate the mass to the new speed. Because the motor has less power it will do so in slower manner, but on a fixed route the energy requirements and therefore the range will remain the same.

Just as the differing equipment levels have an impact on range, it's such a small difference that it can be effectively discounted from any decision making process.

If nothing else, this thread has shown me I need to switch! Energia are far, far cheaper than Electric Ireland :mad:

If nothing else, this thread has shown me I need to switch! Energia are far, far cheaper than Electric Ireland :mad:

Call Electric Ireland they rang me after switching wondering why I didn't call to see could they do a better deal, I did call just happened to get through to a tight ass.

They are until your contract is up then they screw you to pay for new customers so what I did is cancel and the missus signed up so we got the full discount.

Yeah the thing seems to be to switch yearly. Same with Sky the other day and I got €50 per month off.

This symbol here - that for battery heating?

C964-A4-BA-3-BB1-47-E6-A3-DE-3-D6-F818-F1-C55.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Yeah the thing seems to be to switch yearly. Same with Sky the other day and I got €50 per month off.

for heating the cabin before leaving & locking (e.g. jump in 15 minute before departure; switch the heat on and lock up)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

In the manual they call it stationary heating/air conditioning. Haven't found reason to use it as yet. Apparently runs for 20 mins..

I find the App easier

For me it comes on even when I just unlock the car without pre heating

• Advertisement

Shouldn't come on unless you click on it and it turns red..

No wonder your crazy energy usage:pac::D

Was just thinking that someone may have turned this on in your settings before you got the car. Check the settings, not sure where to look, not with car atm

Came on for me today when I plugged in my phone to charge. It's a random light, usually appears when I plug into a charger.

Ah maybe that’s it, I haven’t pressed it, hasn’t been red.

I think my usage is my right foot. That and 10kms or less journeys!

I was going by my personal rate of 17c with ESB. Not worth me getting a night rate just now as don't have enough EVs. That's handy to know though that it can be that cheap, will include in the next vid. Really can't argue with that price!

Yeah I think it might be worth editing the video to have some correction to that though because there's a big difference in the cost to charge than you quoted with Night saver electricity and the likes of Energia.

I also don't think suggesting turning off the heat and using the heated seats is a good thing to say because it still suggests electrics are not good enough to even use the heat in winter what ye think ? maybe leave this kind of stuff out.

I also don't think the heater is a huge consumer of energy compared to the motor, wind resistance, surface water, head winds etc, they're the largest consumers of heat so in My opinion I just wouldn't mention it saving energy by not using the heater.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I also don't think suggesting turning off the heat and using the heated seats is a good thing to say because it still suggests electrics are not good enough to even use the heat in winter what ye think ? maybe leave this kind of stuff out.

I also don't think the heater is a huge consumer of energy compared to the motor, wind resistance, surface water, head winds etc, they're the largest consumers of heat so in My opinion I just wouldn't mention it saving energy by not using the heater.

I think the argument is that heated seats are more energy efficient than heating the cabin

I don't have heated seats (yet) so can't really comment in that regard, but I've found preheating to a really high temp while plugged in really takes the bite out of the initial range drop in winter

Driving conditions definitely don't help in winter as people tend to somehow drive more aggressively and defensively at the same time, leading to a fair amount of battery sapping acceleration

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Waiting on the AA, what's the story with this 12v battery came out this morning and the car is completely dead, no screens, lights anything. Is it only a matter of jump starting, or is it off to hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Waiting on the AA, what's the story with this 12v battery came out this morning and the car is completely dead, no screens, lights anything. Is it only a matter of jump starting, or is it off to hospital?

I'd be interested in the voltage of the 12V battery when this happens.

If it's less that 12v that battery will never be the same again. If it's over 12V but still won't fire up the car, what voltage does the car need the battery to be at to kick it into life?

• Advertisement

Should be here in the next hour I'll see what it reads when they appear.
    It had no symptoms and I've 11k on it, thought I escaped the issue if that's the problem.

Advertisement