Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

KCross wrote: »
    Ford are going to use it alright but I would have assumed they would buy the MEB platform (chassis, motor, battery) into their factories and integrate into their cars as opposed to VW building Ford cars in Zwickau?

Do VAG build cars for other OEM's already... like a VW and, say, a Mazda coming down the one line?

I believe that is the plan, Ford will buy the chassis and assemble the car in one of their European plants. Probably do something similar in the US when they're building the ID.4 there as well

VW will sell platforms to other companies, but I don't think they do assembly, or at least I doubt they'd be doing it cheaper than any of the existing manufacturers can do it in house

They build VW group cars at Zwickau, for example the Cupra El-born will be assembled there as well

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dublinscot

Had my ID3 Tech for 2 days now. My first EV. My previous car was a 13yr old diesel, so this is a quantum leap technology-wise.

I'm loving the EV life so far!

Have gotten to grips with the public chargers - used EasyGo in Mullingar yesterday and eCars in Lusk today. Home charger installed next week.

I also worked out the Travel Assist function today. It's great... the car basically drives itself. Makes for a very relaxing drive. The HUD highlights the traffic in front by 'targeting' them with a green line, but i'm quite disappointed VW didn't fit missile launchers.

Pic attached....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

dublinscot wrote: »
    Had my ID3 Tech for 2 days now. My first EV. My previous car was a 13yr old diesel, so this is a quantum leap technology-wise.

Have gotten to grips with the public chargers - used EasyGo in Mullingar yesterday and eCars in Lusk today. Home charger installed next week.

I also worked out the Travel Assist function today. It's great... the car basically drives itself. Makes for a very relaxing drive. The HUD highlights the traffic in front by 'targeting' them with a green line, but i'm quite disappointed VW didn't fit missile launchers.

Pic attached....

That's a very nice colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Pic attached....

Best of luck, looks great. Looking forward to more reports, would love the HUD..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭MarkN

Used a 50kW today, 16 mins, added 100kms in less time than I could finish the coffee. Have found the whole EV thing a doddle I must admit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dublinscot

eagerv wrote: »
    Best of luck, looks great. Looking forward to more reports, would love the HUD..

Cheers!

The HUD is a cool feature, but it's only really useful when combined with the travel assist as it shows you it can see where the lanes and traffic are, so makes you more confident in relinquishing control of the car to the AI....(for me anyway, my previous car didn't even have cruise control nevermind level 2 automated driving! :) )

I can see why VW combined the 2 on the spec list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Anyone know why VW don't seem to offer PCP on the likes of the Tech version?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

JohnK wrote: »
    Anyone know why VW don't seem to offer PCP on the likes of the Tech version?

You can get PCP on all models?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

L-M wrote: »
    You can get PCP on all models?

I was looking at their finance calculator and once you select tech or max the only option is hire purchase at a much higher rate https://www1.volkswagen.ie/finance

JohnK wrote: »
    I was looking at their finance calculator and once you select tech or max the only option is hire purchase at a much higher rate https://www1.volkswagen.ie/finance

Website probably just doesn't have all trim level up on it as the calculators are only a guideline I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Pic attached....

Love it.
    I'm on the fence for id3 or id4. The options on 3 look a lot better now

yop wrote: »
    Love it.
    I'm on the fence for id3 or id4. The options on 3 look a lot better now

I would say if you don't need the space then the ID.3 is probably better value

Interior of the ID.4 definitely looks nicer IMO, the ID.3 is nice enough but there's an awful lot of grey

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Greenbin

Optimistic for efficiency in the warmer months ahead!
    First image shows outward leg of essential journey yesterday. Temp around 9 so no heat on of any kind. Mostly N roads with about 20km motorway and some R roads too.
    Second image with 14.9 kWh/100 km shows partial return journey up to re-charge stop. All N & R roads. No heat. Car was parked up for around 4.5 hours before return journey but looks like battery still was warmed up?
    Got home showing 17 kWh/100km total for full return trip approx 170km. Final leg was wet so wipers and heat on for final 45mins.
    With today’s temps I’d imagine figures would be a little better..
    Would be very happy if I can repeat those figures in months ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Greenbin wrote: »
    Optimistic for efficiency in the warmer months ahead!
    First image shows outward leg of essential journey yesterday. Temp around 9 so no heat on of any kind. Mostly N roads with about 20km motorway and some R roads too.
    Second image with 14.9 kWh/100 km shows partial return journey up to re-charge stop. All N & R roads. No heat. Car was parked up for around 4.5 hours before return journey but looks like battery still was warmed up?
    Got home showing 17 kWh/100km total for full return trip approx 170km. Final leg was wet so wipers and heat on for final 45mins.
    With today’s temps I’d imagine figures would be a little better..
    Would be very happy if I can repeat those figures in months ahead.

I got 13.8 last sunday over 40KM - of late under 20 would have been an achievement so yep - good weather will give this car a much better range it looks to be..

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭DermoMIO

My Dad just got his Life, I’m fairly sure his software isn’t the most up to date one available ?

DermoMIO wrote: »
    My Dad just got his Life, I’m fairly sure his software isn’t the most up to date one available ?

No, that's the initial software. (Home button etc on left of screen)
    But not a problem, he will probably get the full update very shortly to 2.1

Hope he is happy with car..

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭DermoMIO

eagerv wrote: »
    No, that's the initial software. (Home button etc on left of screen)
    But not a problem, he will probably get the full update very shortly to 2.1

Hope he is happy with car..

I thought as much but didn’t want to jump to conclusions! Will advice him to get onto his sales person. Fairly poor from them they’ve had it since Tuesday and he signed his finance agreement on Thursday, plenty of time to update to 2.0 IMO

DermoMIO wrote: »
    I thought as much but didn’t want to jump to conclusions! Will advice him to get onto his sales person. Fairly poor from them they’ve had it since Tuesday and he signed his finance agreement on Thursday, plenty of time to update to 2.0 IMO

2.1 is meant to be available this week or next week I think. 2.0 was only for people with certain issues with the car and wasn't installed on all cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭MarkN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Jeez, some of the comments. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Has anyone tried to use an OBDII on the ID.3 (I presume you can) ?

Why can't car manufacturers just show the SOH of the battery in the settings somewhere? Surely this could be something easy enough to introduce and provide on screen or in the app.

Jeez, some of the comments. :rolleyes:

Yeah Mr Hydrogen Yaris whatever was certainly off on another planet :confused:

And then we've got the usual lad giving out about cobalt and forgetting the oil industry is the main user of cobalt :rolleyes:

Anyway, I thought it was a great series, very informative

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

cannco253 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried to use an OBDII on the ID.3 (I presume you can) ?

Why can't car manufacturers just show the SOH of the battery in the settings somewhere? Surely this could be something easy enough to introduce and provide on screen or in the app.

You can use them on the ID.3. Getting an app that can decode it is the issue. Only one or two so far.

What a day for driving. 11c, too warm and stuffy in car with heater off. Just turned on fan with heat on low.

Had to go to Thomastown from West Co Wexford. About 75km total (Home to home). Twisty, smooth 80km/h roads. The ID.3 is in her element with this sort of driving. Had fun with the multiple hairpins and still managed 13.8kWh/100km.

Love it..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 richardob50

TitianGerm wrote: »
    2.1 is meant to be available this week or next week I think. 2.0 was only for people with certain issues with the car and wasn't installed on all cars.

The technicians are having a zoom call on Wednesday with vw Ireland to go through the update procedure again and should be good to go from Thursday (according to the local vw dealer last week)

The technicians are having a zoom call on Wednesday with vw Ireland to go through the update procedure again and should be good to go from Thursday (according to the local vw dealer last week)

Hopefully they remember to open the firewall this time to let the update through

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lads
    Any comments on the new range and say what the value maybe down the line?
    I'm looking at the longer range as I will need to be making longer trips once lockdown ceases so the Tour (77kw) is where I am now at.

TIA

yop wrote: »
    Lads
    Any comments on the new range and say what the value maybe down the line?
    I'm looking at the longer range as I will need to be making longer trips once lockdown ceases so the Tour (77kw) is where I am now at.

TIA

So first thing to know about the tour is that it's a 4 seater, there's no centre seat belt in the back. Something to do with the weight being too high

If you're looking at the tour I'd also look at the ID.4, it's got the same battery, slightly less range, nicer interior and more space. It might suit your needs better

There were some articles a while back saying the bosses in VW wanted to upgrade the interior of the ID.3 to make it a bit more premuim to address the main complaints people had around the quality. I'm guessing that'll be next year earliest so if the interior bugs you then it might be best to wait a while

So first thing to know about the tour is that it's a 4 seater, there's no centre seat belt in the back. Something to do with the weight being too high

If you're looking at the tour I'd also look at the ID.4, it's got the same battery, slightly less range, nicer interior and more space. It might suit your needs better

There were some articles a while back saying the bosses in VW wanted to upgrade the interior of the ID.3 to make it a bit more premuim to address the main complaints people had around the quality. I'm guessing that'll be next year earliest so if the interior bugs you then it might be best to wait a while
    there will be a 5 seater. It is discussed on goingelectric.de(in German)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

There's a new version of the ID.3 Tour coming very soon. It's called the Tour 5, it has 5 seats but loses some of the spec to get there. No HUD, no massage seats... some other stuff.

Advertisement