Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Booked the update session for 15th in Cork. They need a car for the full day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Booked the update session for 15th in Cork. They need a car for the full day.

Which version are you currently on? I had heard going from 2.0 to 2.1 won't take that long but not sure if that has been confirmed.

When I went to 2.0 I was without the car for two days.

Mr Q wrote: »
    Which version are you currently on? I had heard going from 2.0 to 2.1 won't take that long but not sure if that has been confirmed.

Original 0564.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Mr Q wrote: »

2.0 takes a full day.

Apparently 2.1 is slightly faster, but not by much, particularly if they hit any issues and have to restart things.

Expect 2.1 to be the bones of another full day.

Now, the question is, if you are getting 2.0 and 2.1 at the same time how long does that take.... not sure if they have to first go to 2.0 (I think they do) in which case that could be a 2 day job so it will be interesting to see how that pans out for @Rusky

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

Still waiting for our car, and for some reason I cannot seem to get the My Volkswagen portal to work anymore, to check if the VIN has been allocated to our build. Could someone share the correct URL again please? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

eko wrote: »
    Still waiting for our car, and for some reason I cannot seem to get the My Volkswagen portal to work anymore, to check if the VIN has been allocated to our build. Could someone share the correct URL again please? Thanks!

The Myvolkswagen portal is accessed from the main Volkswagen.ie site. Click the Menu top left... > Service and Care > myvolkswagen.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭eko

The Myvolkswagen portal is accessed from the main Volkswagen.ie site. Click the Menu top left... > Service and Care > myvolkswagen.

Thanks, not sure how I missed that No VIN yet on the build. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mark I was just watching your GTI review there. Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on how it compares to the ID3 especially as it looks like you had one after the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

They broke the link for a while but it seems to be working again

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 12,109 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What model in the range would you go for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

KCross wrote: »
    2.0 takes a full day......

I wonder what in the world are VW at that it takes so long

At this stage would there be in total over 10k ID3s sold around Europe ?

Is each one going to take a day to upgrade ?

0lddog wrote: »
    I wonder what in the world are VW at that it takes so long

At this stage would there be in total over 10k ID3s sold around Europe ?

Is each one going to take a day to upgrade ?

Yea, seems that its not one download and just push "install" type thing. It has to be done per ECU/module and they have to wait for each one to complete before starting the next one so there is alot of waiting around and babysitting the upgrade process.... thats what the tech said to me anyway.

I'd say VW are keen to get OTA working! ;)

Great money spinner for the dealers ? :D

They're not charging vfor software updates. If anything it's costing them money in labour time.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    They're not charging vfor software updates. If anything it's costing them money in labour time.

The cost of that work would be for the account of VAG :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

TitianGerm wrote: »

Surely the dealers would be charging this back to VW?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Surely the dealers would be charging this back to VW?

Almost certainly. Its VAG's issue, not the delaers. Standard warranty problem.

They better make the most of it because I hope OTA will make dealer visits a rare occurrence after that!

...I'd say VW are keen to get OTA working! ;)

Hmmm, Yes :D

The other side of that coin is what might be the ( engineering and reputational ) cost if OTA bricked some...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

The battery life guy is live-streaming now with 2.1 installed. From the user point of view it seems almost identical to what we’ve seen in 2.0. No obvious new features or functions.

Anybody heard from their dealer yet about getting an appointment to update?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭McHonda

I rang my dealer to book after the email was sent out last week. Unsurprisingly he wasn't aware the software was about to be rolled out but booked car in for next Wednesday.

• Advertisement

The battery life guy is live-streaming now with 2.1 installed. From the user point of view it seems almost identical to what we’ve seen in 2.0. No obvious new features or functions.

I’m not surprised. I think v2.1 is build 0794 and v2.0 is 0783. Very little difference there.

I think the main things are to fix the timers and enable OTA updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Johnfred

I hope we will be given courtesy cars free of charge when our cars are getting updated without the need to change insurance which incurs a cost!

Johnfred wrote: »
    I hope we will be given courtesy cars free of charge when our cars are getting updated without the need to change insurance which incurs a cost!

I was given a brand new golf overnight when I got the 2.0 update on my ID3. Transferred my insurance over online. I've never been charged for a temporary transfer.

McHonda wrote: »
    I rang my dealer to book after the email was sent out last week. Unsurprisingly he wasn't aware the software was about to be rolled out but booked car in for next Wednesday.

Doesn't inspire confidence does it? They'll probably spend the day trying to figure out how to change the oil

Best of luck with the update, hope it goes well

Anybody heard from their dealer yet about getting an appointment to update?

For anyone who's interested, in software releases the first number is generally the major release and the numbers after the decimal are the minor release number

Typically minor releases would fix or improve existing features but not add new ones. Major releases usually imply that new features have been added

So 2.1 update would fix things that were broken in 2.0 and earlier versions, but not necessarily add new functionality

It's not a set in stone rule, so there may be some things added in 2.1, but I guess it's worth warning people that not everything they want is going to be in this update

Johnfred wrote: »

They gave me another ID.3 when I had mine in for the 2.0 update. Insurance switchover was free and you will have to switch your insurance. They arent going to let you out the gate with one of their cars with only 3rd party insurance on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

They gave me another ID.3 when I had mine in for the 2.0 update. Insurance switchover was free and you will have to switch your insurance. They arent going to let you out the gate with one of their cars with only 3rd party insurance on it!

I have now had two new petrol cars from my dealer when updates done.

They have my insurance details on file and looked after all the transfers.
    The insurance company told them cover is automatic and free providing the replacement car is either electric or under 2L. Max time though is 2 weeks.

Yes, they require comprehensive insurance to get a replacement car. I said no for the replacement car for my update visit but I think I’m going to call them back and ask for one. I have the original software so who know how many hours (days) it will take them to update it. Also probably not the best time to drag my wife and the baby in the second car. The main thing I forward to using in this update is the android auto. The built in media player is just awful.

UBS did a teardown on an ID3. They're impressed.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/vws-id3-electric-car-stacks-well-against-tesla-ubs-teardown

"The deep dive into the ID3 by UBS Group analysts found the MEB platform underpinning VW’s EV models will be fully cost competitive with Tesla and have best-in-class energy density and efficiency.

Analysts led by Patrick Hummel called the car “the most credible EV effort by any legacy auto company so far.”"

VW is building optional cost features in to all cars and will only activate what you pay for to reduce production costs.

They estimate a margin of 15% to match their cash cow the Golf and the streamlining on production will bring margin across the brand at 6% which is very good by Automotive standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 richardob50

UBS did a teardown on an ID3. They're impressed.

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/vws-id3-electric-car-stacks-well-against-tesla-ubs-teardown

"The deep dive into the ID3 by UBS Group analysts found the MEB platform underpinning VW’s EV models will be fully cost competitive with Tesla and have best-in-class energy density and efficiency.

Analysts led by Patrick Hummel called the car “the most credible EV effort by any legacy auto company so far.”"

VW is building optional cost features in to all cars and will only activate what you pay for to reduce production costs.

They estimate a margin of 15% to match their cash cow the Golf and the streamlining on production will bring margin across the brand at 6% which is very good by Automotive standards.

I wonder will revenue do some kind of clause on this. For Tesla I don’t believe VRT is charged on the inactive features and you’re obviously free to activate after car registration. At which point you’d only be paying activation fee plus vat and not any back charges on vrt. Guess it’s the same as fitting alloy wheels later in a cars life.

Advertisement